Bretonnia vs store manager's decission

Hello Ladie and Gentlemen,

I would like to discuss cisrumstances within my local store, that's maybe a little confusing.

So it is connected to the Bretonnians being dropped out of AoS. Therefore some players decided, whether they could use Fireforge's miniatures, to have Bretonnia back to play.
Technically the miniatures are a little smaller, but on the correct bases it should be ok. And they should not be mixed with original Bretonnia, but that's on personal reference there.

So what is it now?
My store manager declares, that he doesn't want to have players using non GW products in his store. Also when they use GW's books & rules & colous & stuff.

Is that really such of a deal? Really?
I mean, it's GW's own damn problem, that they just dropped Bretonnia and some other factions, but keep providing the rules for those, and update these too.

How is it in your stores?
Would you say it's ok, that it is not alloowed to use that miniatures?
due to a business point of few I can understand that, but it's kind of bad for a community.

What do you think about that?

As unfortunate as it is, it is totally understandable for a GW store to not want third party minis being used in their location. You can't bring a case of beer into a bar with you, right? 

That being said, other hobby shops that are not GW and friendly games with friends it should be totally cool.

Just want to know the generell opinions, since I don't really know what would be more important.

Telling someone, that he has to use another army now and maybe by that pissing him / her off, or accept the fact that other stuff is used.
But yeah, kind of understandable.

I suggest I would have to tell them to move to an extern community too.

It's kind of a shame, but what can we do.

If it is a GW store then they have always had the rule of no 3rd party miniatures.

If you want Brettonia and you do not have their old models the only real option at this point is to hunt around on Ebay and equivalents and get actual GW miniatures. Only thing I would do in that case is have a chat with the store manager as although they are GW miniatures they are now out of production and they may not be keen on people using models that they do not sell currently.

The problem is that if one of the manager's bosses happens to be in the store (or a mystery shopper who knows his product), that manager is liable to lose his head over allowing third party models and thus potentially 'driving sales away' from the store, or at least that's how it would read on the report.

Add me to the “It’s a gw shop so no third party models” side, whilst it’s nice people enjoy bretonnia they were only given carry over rules to make sure the models people owned weren’t rendered obsolete. There is no right or entitlement to use another companies miniatures because a new player likes an old faction

Fair enough question but GW is paying to give you space to play for free. They do this to promote their products. It is a fair and common practice.

Non GW tournaments are generally much more accommodating. Also, I've just finished painting a Mierce Miniatures vagrant knight conversion for my brother to use in Silver Tower. Did you know that in the Black Library books their is a barony and a force of knights known as the Sons of the Breton operating in Ghur? Long live Bretonnia! :)

Perfectly understandable and frankly, if you're even thinking of arguing, you're an over-entitled little so and so who cause all the stress on many message boards.

GW is a business, they exist to sell you products, to help with that, they offer a space for you to use those products and for free.

Heck, I've had doubt about using some of my converted models using third party bits, but because I spend time talking to my store manager like a human being, and asked nicely if it was ok, I was allowed.

Others have covered GW. If it's an indie store I'd say yes provided that store stocks the minis you're using and you're buying from there on a regular basis. At home go ahead - I use third party stuff all the time.

41 minutes ago, Lucio said:

Perfectly understandable and frankly, if you're even thinking of arguing, you're an over-entitled little so and so who cause all the stress on many message boards.

*** poke ***

There are many ways of saying what you are trying to say, which is basically down to the store owner/managers decision, but calling somebody an over entitled so and so is not it. We don’t want that on this forum so can you please apologise to @Carnivore

5 hours ago, Carnivore said:

Hello Ladie and Gentlemen,

I would like to discuss cisrumstances within my local store, that's maybe a little confusing.

So it is connected to the Bretonnians being dropped out of AoS. Therefore some players decided, whether they could use Fireforge's miniatures, to have Bretonnia back to play.
Technically the miniatures are a little smaller, but on the correct bases it should be ok. And they should not be mixed with original Bretonnia, but that's on personal reference there.

So what is it now?
My store manager declares, that he doesn't want to have players using non GW products in his store. Also when they use GW's books & rules & colous & stuff.

Is that really such of a deal? Really?
I mean, it's GW's own damn problem, that they just dropped Bretonnia and some other factions, but keep providing the rules for those, and update these too.

How is it in your stores?
Would you say it's ok, that it is not alloowed to use that miniatures?
due to a business point of few I can understand that, but it's kind of bad for a community.

What do you think about that?

The bottom line is that a store needs to sell products to make money. Bretonnians are a dead army and we’re in a new world now. It’s time to move on, folks.  Besides, GW is working their tails off to give us new armies, unbelievable models, and better gaming experiences. Honestly, leave the Old World behind. 

I'm a little confused by what you mean when you write GW dropped Brets from AoS.  Are you talking about the faction, or the range of miniatures?  The faction still has rules and points (although they're not remotely competitive).  I still break mine out from time to time for casual games.

The minis aren't being produced, but most of the core models are readily available on ebay and other online sources, and givent the absence of "official" models, it's easy now to convert characters from stock minis.

FMB

6 hours ago, Carnivore said:

AFAIK that's ALWAYS been the case in every GW store man. And frankly it's perfectly reasonable. You need to play at a club or FLGS with alternative models.

7 hours ago, Carnivore said:

If you’re in a store that isn’t charging you space to game you, as a player, and the miniatures you play with are there as a game ambassador for new players.

You and the miniatures on the boards are in many ways an advertisement that potential customers see when they come in and visit the store that says “hey ... folks have fun doing this hobby thing” in the gaming community at your location and as a testimonial for the gaming product being sold on the shelves.

If the product you have isn’t sold at the store you’re at ... then you’re not quite as good an advertisement. If you have old GW models then you can say “yeah, these are older GW models” ... not a “well they don’t sell these here ... you ‘buy these online ... buy these at X down the street ... etc’” ... that doesn’t help keep the nice store that you play at in business.

At home, what minis you use are your own business. You could even use proxies printed from paper.

As a player, we all want our favorite local stores to succeed so we can keep coming back and playing more games and enjoying events. Supporting your local is important, and generating good communities helps that. 

Help out your local store, and be a good game Ambassador. 

8 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

*** poke ***

There are many ways of saying what you are trying to say, which is basically down to the store owner/managers decision, but calling somebody an over entitled so and so is not it. We don’t want that on this forum so can you please apologise to @Carnivore

Ok, understood I withdraw my remark

Didn't wanna have it klickbaity, sorry :)

But Thank you all for the rich feedback given!
I understand now the real complexity behind the decision, that GW wants their own product and nothing else in the stores.
The points, that was brought by TheOtherJosh make it clearer fr me now.

SInce the whole thing isa combination of selling, and having kind of "free" adverstisement within the store itself.

Thank you all very much & have a nice weekend!

Archived