A Kingdom of Isolation (Phoenix Temple Blog) - 25/09 - FHGT Display Board pics

Chris Tomlin

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, syph0n said:

It's coming out really well Chris. I've had that too with Allies - you think you've nailed a thematic, cool or strong list using some allies, to discover it's 20 points over the limit or so on! 

I think Aelves (High Aelves particularly) lend themselves well to be allied to the Stormcast. I think some of the mixed armies can look disjointed, even official ones like the Anvilgard. You've nailed it though.

Cheers mate. Agreed with the High Aelves and Stormcast. The Sacrosanct stuff is going to go even better I reckon. With stuff like the Anvilguard, I think it's because GW just whack a bunch of existing models together. I think you could unify those kind of units with a more appropriate colour scheme (perhaps limiting yourself like I have here) or some conversions.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, EMMachine said:

I retweeted it with a comment (even I only have 6 followers). You should find my profile in the list of your followers (if you don't find the notification).

It all helps and is greatly appreciated bro. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Davariel said:

This army's seen some amazing progress! I especially like the Archmage - the fiery staff contrasts the cool palette beautifully. Keep up the good work!

Thanks dude. I've said it before, but I'm definitely pleased with the introduction of the flames and how they look as a spot contrast across the army. Crazy to think I'll have a full army by the end of the month. Feels like it's come together so easily over the last 6 months. Great to break it down into smaller chunks like this.

Chris

That's some great work on the Archmage Chris, he looks lovely. Its an often overlooked model I think, which is shame because despite its age and some soft details, its still a great kit with a ton of potential and nice little bits.

Are you thinking of adding some Sacrosanct units at some point? Can't lie, I think they'd work really well with your Temple, and I'd love to see your take on them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Morning all,

Sorry it's been ages since I posted here (or at all on the forums really :S). I have a couple of answered posts to reply to and then we'll crack on with some photos of new models!

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:46 PM, KnaveOfScribes said:

That's some great work on the Archmage Chris, he looks lovely. Its an often overlooked model I think, which is shame because despite its age and some soft details, its still a great kit with a ton of potential and nice little bits.

Are you thinking of adding some Sacrosanct units at some point? Can't lie, I think they'd work really well with your Temple, and I'd love to see your take on them.

Thanks man. Yeh you've nailed my thoughts on the models there, especially regarding the soft detail.

I am 100% adding Sacrosanct units to the army, as you say they should look pretty great in this scheme I reckon. I've already assembled a Knight-Incantor with a couple of small conversions to tie her into the Phoenix Temple a bit more and then there are plenty more units I plan to add, so this thread will definitely continue as the army builds.

DB056BDA-1E33-495A-9462-0F0A33AFBD56.jpeg.427423b63c224d33724295b47b9b54a6.jpeg

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Awesome stuff here! I have always like the Phoenix Temple and have wanted to pick some up. Is it safe to assume you will be making more considering the preview they got?

Thanks a lot! As per above, my initial focus will be around adding more Stormcast to the army, but I may well include more Phoenix Temple units over time. After painting 50 Phoenix Guard to a pretty decent standard over 6 months I am in no rush to paint any more of them haha!

So our campaign is now over and everyone has finished their 2,000 point armies. You can search the hashtag #FromEmberToInferno on Twitter to see everyones work. There's a lovely Tzeentch army from @Cowboy Boots Matt, a super cool Spiderfang Grot army by @Paul Buckler and a spooky Pirate Wraithfleet force from @Forestreveries - two of these have already won painting trophies at two day events. The standard was very high across the campaign.

I guess I'd be remiss to not mention the fact that my army performed very well across the campaign, winning every game and taking first place with a tonne of Glory points. That said, in the vacuum of our four armies mine did unfortunately end up being a little overpowered, a fact that was exacerbated by some of the bonus items/abilities I got. Still, it was a lot of fun regardless and we will definitely be revisiting the format for a second season next year.

The final units I added to the army in month 6 were 10 more Phoenix Guard to bump one of my units up to 30 and a Frostheart Phoenix. For this 3rd Phoenix I decided to have him unridden. My reason for this was twofold; firstly I wanted to reduce the potential power level of the army for the campaign and also I had hoped that AoS 2 would introduce a different points cost for an unridden Phoenix, making it a viable option. Unfortunately this was not the case, so I will be adding an Anointed to the ruins on his base going forwards as there is absolutely not reason not to, which is a shame.

Here are the final 10 Phoenix Guard. I do really like these models, but as per above will not be in a rush to paint anymore. That said with there points reductions in the new addition there definitely is a temptation to do some more down the line;

CC2FD47D-ADDA-4FCD-AB2F-3BAF6E13BC8E.jpeg.062ba23f4d16ee0b8ce7014207e6766a.jpeg

And then finally is my third Phoenix. I'm pretty happy with this guy. The paint is mostly pretty nice and all in all I am happy with the pose, although it didn't quite turn out as I envisioned. All 3 Phoenixes have ended up slightly different colours, which I think is ok.

The coolest thing for me is the snow spray. When I was originally planning my Phoenix conversions I did some crude drawings in the campaign WhatsApp group and had one of a Phoenix with a vertical wingspan like this shooting through the snow with it spraying up. I wasn't sure how I'd be able to model this, but I'm really very pleased with how it came out eventually (took a long time to build up over a blister pack skeleton). Once again I'm pleased with the icicles as well. Hope you like him!

95955C39-A04E-4DCC-8E73-D1CAE7194D9F.jpeg.26e63ab48d16b0173958bb67a1b77e81.jpeg

9ADAA367-B66B-44A0-902E-DCDCE690B603.jpeg.9040710824bb5d69f166b40badf9fff5.jpeg

7E6A81D1-9361-4554-BEC1-02ED16E7726A.jpeg.3d962be32436d36a5bc4153ae55380b6.jpeg

564C9AA5-678D-4FFA-ADDC-BE476252489B.jpeg.6073ab355740253934255ff279e56ba4.jpeg

88DF536F-7557-4430-A1B4-BCF22531F472.jpeg.f8fb2247d5efbf725bd88480f7d05a4f.jpeg

ABA3A800-30E0-4CE6-8DED-017341531737.jpeg.cbcbdeb37a1088a30689b739152f0beb.jpeg

So yeh, that's it for now. Going forward the army does have to undergo some change in the new edition unfortunately. I'm really not a fan of the new restrictions for allies as I think they penalise cool themed armies like this and actually does nothing against power builds. I literally think they were just scared of all Order armies taking 4 Celestar Ballistas, which probably alludes to a different issue other than allies overall haha!

This does give me a chance to paint up a bunch of the new Stormcast models in this colour scheme and eventually I can mix and match the units perhaps. Definitely looking forward to converting a Tauralon into more of a Griffon/Hippogryph to better fit the army.

Thanks for all the likes and comments in this thread so far. Keep an eye out for what's to come in the future as I am planning on taking this army to at least a couple of events before the year is up.

To finish up, here a couple of rubbish photos of the full army in my display cabinets. I would like to do some full army shots on a snow mat or something, but for now it's cool just to see it all laid out. I've also included the Lotann I painted in the same colour scheme for the #BattlerollPaintBattle (where I won Coolest Conversion). Not sure if I posted pics of him on here, but I could if people wanted to see him. Enjoy;

25D10E63-1E19-4E8D-815F-FB9439910A7F.jpeg.6d38510e16fc048cbb74b04a2da9abd6.jpeg

46AC3009-FEF7-40DD-A665-972DBF2DDEBF.jpeg.dc657e390da64502f3a601f9d50d172c.jpeg

Chris x

• Like 15

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to A Kingdom of Isolation (Phoenix Temple Blog) - 12/07 - 3rd Phoenix + Full Army Pics

Hey,

Thanks @AthlorianStoners, glad you've enjoy it. Thanks for following along. As I said I will be adding plenty more so it's not over yet. As for Lotann, here are some photos I took. Found it tricky to take any good ones tbh. The cloth looks horrid in these, but is actually nice irl...likewise the drybrushing on the stonework is no where near as rough and gross as it looks haha!

This is another example of me rigidly sticking to my self enforced colour pallet. I think that Ochtar would've looked much better in a turquoise but that wouldn't have been in keeping.

It's also hard to tell how in depth the conversion is...we didn't actually need to keep the model on the 40mm base it came with, which I didn't realise until it was too late. Had I known this I would've been able to open everything up a bit more and make a bigger deal of it. The winning entries all made use of bigger display plinths, which IMO caught the eye of the voters over anything else.

245EC77C-28F1-400D-AFA5-61E50F17119C.jpeg.9373faaec3db621120241b49e30d2e93.jpeg2FBFDE95-07D1-4F4D-81B8-6462C5DCF45E.jpeg.5a9c7ab2147ca463a2bd53d64be8d08f.jpeg389FF649-E789-4013-86AF-4ADFA22D12BA.jpeg.c9d566e8166c5a0bfcf9276b2d77a5ff.jpeg84701766-A46A-4451-8935-039AEC549D81.jpeg.972f655fabeea707384c18c6132b0b1f.jpeg

Still, at least the conversion work was noted by the voters and I picked up the trophy for that, which was pretty cool. Doing the Paint Battle was good fun as this isn't a model I would've chosen to paint. If we count him as part of the army, it's the second trophy it's won so far as I got Best Warband at a Skirmish event for the Phoenix Temple. I am looking forward to taking the full army out to a Tournament later this year and seeing how it does though!

350A1F3D-B756-4A9D-A875-827598105D91.jpeg.24e540268faa9baf9ab3e1c6e6bdd76f.jpeg

• Like 8

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to A Kingdom of Isolation (Phoenix Temple Blog) - 12/07 - 3rd Phoenix + Full Army Pics + Lotann

Congrats on the awards man, they are well deserved - that's a beautiful looking army you've made so far. I like the subtlety of the conversion work on the Incantor, works really well to link her to the Temple overall.  Your Lotann is great as well - I think a lot of people get distracted by the Ochtar and overlook just how lovely and understated Lotann himself is, but your scheme really draws attention to him against the pale blues and greys. Lovely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KnaveOfScribes said:

Congrats on the awards man, they are well deserved - that's a beautiful looking army you've made so far. I like the subtlety of the conversion work on the Incantor, works really well to link her to the Temple overall.  Your Lotann is great as well - I think a lot of people get distracted by the Ochtar and overlook just how lovely and understated Lotann himself is, but your scheme really draws attention to him against the pale blues and greys. Lovely.

Thanks man, most appreciated.

Glad you like the Incantor and appreciate the subtlety. I didn't want to push the Phoenix Temple link too much in the conversion as I know it'd be a pain to source the parts to follow it through across all the Stormcast I do, so instead I went more for a nod towards it, which I think works.

You're completely right with Lotann. He is very much overshadowed by Ochtar (literally in the case of the stock model), so it's nice to be able to put some focus on the man himself, who as you rightly say is a lovely sculpt.

The little awards are really nice and mean a lot, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hopeful of winning something for the army itself when I get around to taking it to a tournament. It's definitely not as technically well painted as my Ironjawz or as obnoxiously grandiose as my Venetian Court (with display board and music haha), but hopefully it do ok. Time will tell and regardless, I'm pretty proud of it as a project overall!

Cheers,
Chris

Is this going to end up as a Mixed Order army with the ally changes then? Lord Arcanum on Tauralon, 3x5 Sequitors?

As an owner of a non-Battletome army myself, it's annoyed the hell out of me that I couldn't take 2x Sorceress and 2x Ballista for the points, because my army is low unit count with 2 dragons and 2 hydras. 

I saw all this on Twitter "as it happened" and the theme is fantastic. Great work overall, and not to diminish each bit of paintwork (as I think it's brill across each section), but this army proves that great colour choice, basing and careful modelling can lift an army  beyond the sum of its parts!

• Thanks 1

Fantastic models especially the last Phoenix. I have had the same idea for months but didn t have the chance to buy one and do it so now I ll have to "steal" your idea.?Just I need to find out the right support for it. 

Incredible job mate!! 

Keep going I love them. 

• Thanks 1

It's a minor touch but I really, really like how you've used the Osgiliath ruins as basing materials. They give the army such a strong sense of ancient grandeur crumbling away... which of course complements high elves perfectly (perhaps now more than ever with how AoS has treated them xD)

Looking forward as always to see what you add next!

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:02 AM, syph0n said:

Is this going to end up as a Mixed Order army with the ally changes then? Lord Arcanum on Tauralon, 3x5 Sequitors?

As an owner of a non-Battletome army myself, it's annoyed the hell out of me that I couldn't take 2x Sorceress and 2x Ballista for the points, because my army is low unit count with 2 dragons and 2 hydras. 

I saw all this on Twitter "as it happened" and the theme is fantastic. Great work overall, and not to diminish each bit of paintwork (as I think it's brill across each section), but this army proves that great colour choice, basing and careful modelling can lift an army  beyond the sum of its parts!

I honestly am not sure how the army will end up. I suspect I'll have a Phoenix Temple army and a Stormcast army that is all fully interchangeable and may well be usable as an Order army (if I paint the generic battleline).

As mentioned, the ally changes are my least favourite thing about the new edition. I think they tend to only stop thematic/fun choices as none of the strong builds out there make use of multiple allied units....I'm pretty sure at this moment in time it's purely to stop Ballista spam (pretty much the only example anyone can give). Bit of a shame, but oh well, we'll just have to adapt with the times. No drama really.

Thanks for your comments on the army. I actually think you're spot on. I am of course happy with the overall paint level, especially how consistent it is (big thing for me), but it is definitely not anywhere near my best level. My Ironjawz are technically much better, however because of the things you've listed such as theme, colour, basing, conversions etc, I think this army will stand out and command a decent amount of attention, almost regardless of the actual painting level.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Frozenbeast said:

Fantastic models especially the last Phoenix. I have had the same idea for months but didn t have the chance to buy one and do it so now I ll have to "steal" your idea.?Just I need to find out the right support for it. 

Incredible job mate!! 

Keep going I love them. 

Thanks man. I am happy with the way the 3 Phoenixes came together as at the start of the project I did some incredibly rough drawings of the poses I wanted to go for and thankfully have been able to get them all to work.

Be sure to share some pics of yours when complete.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, flamingwalnut said:

Just wanted to say that this army is FANTASTIC! It was a joy to watch it all come together and almost makes me want some Phoenix Temple. (Must...resist!)

Can't wait to see more of this and more of future projects.

Cheers bro, thanks for the kinds words. Glad you like the army and can be somewhat inspired by it....go pick yourself up Phoenix Guard...NOW! :P 

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, Davariel said:

It's a minor touch but I really, really like how you've used the Osgiliath ruins as basing materials. They give the army such a strong sense of ancient grandeur crumbling away... which of course complements high elves perfectly (perhaps now more than ever with how AoS has treated them xD)

Looking forward as always to see what you add next!

Thanks! You've completely understood the aesthetic I was going for with the Osgiliath ruins there. It really helps tell a story for the army doesn't it? Also in keeping with the title of the topic.

In other news, the project continues as I have purchased a High Aelf Skycutter which I will be using for my Aetherlab at RAW 2018 (a narrative event later this year). Can't wait to model and paint that.

So watch this space, not done yet!!

Thanks for the replies,

Chris

• Like 3

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to A Kingdom of Isolation (Phoenix Temple Blog) - 28/08 - Aventis Frost-Strike & Everblaze Comet

Morning all,

Like the proverbial Phoenix, it's time for this thread to rise!

As previously suggested, I have decided to revisit this army for AoS 2 with some new additions. Unfortunately the new allies rules within the game weigh heavily on this highly limited minor allegiance, so instead of stressing out and trying to find the "best" list, I thought I'd stick to the theme and hopefully keep the aesthetical value high.

With the reduction to Phoenix Guard and me not being able to use all the allies I painted for the campaign, I had a LOT of points to fill when writing a 2,000pt army in AoS2....unfortunately, without painting more Phoenix Guard (which I fancied a break from, truth be told!) it turned out to be really hard to actually fill those points.

In the end, I realised that I could use Endless Spells to help close the deficit. I instantly knew I wanted to use the Everblaze Comet as 1) it looks awesome, plus thematically is cool and b) it seemed pretty awesome in game! I then had to do a bit of researched into whether this would count as an allied unit, both in terms of numbers and also points. In the end I established it counts for neither. Whilst it has to be cast by Stormcast Eternals wizard, it is not a Stormcast unit or anything like that. You could put it in an Ironjawz army if you wanted...you'd just never be able to cast it haha!

This made me feel kinda smug as it almost allows me to break the allies system which has plagued my armies since AoS 2 was revealed! I mulled over taking a Knight Incantor and 5 Evocators to accompany the Comet, only the Incantor would be able to cast it but it would still be a strong choice. As per above though, in the end I opted for aesthetical value and decided upon Aventis Firestrike, Magister of Hammerhal. It's a stunning model, but personally I wasn't keen on the head and decided to convert him to more suitably fit into my army.

This was not an easy process and ended up being one of the longest and more in-depth conversions I've ever undertaken. I won't post any work in progress photos here, but if you visit the media section of my Twitter page (@the_black_sun) you can see some of my earlier attempts - I think I ordered just about every feathered head in the AoS range, cut them up and mocked them up with the Tauralon body. Some were cool, some were plain awful, but none were right...though I was close at one time (after cutting off the arms) to making the Tauralon much more avian (basically a chocobo).

After putting the model to one side, not content with my work so far, I began assembling the Stormcast section of my Soul Wars box. It was at that point I realised that the Gryph Charger was basically the same size and pose as the Tauralon, sans wings or tail. So without much further thought I butchered the poor Gryph Charger for his head and arms. I instantly knew this was the correct choice....however the parts were not a perfect fit, so greenstuffing was required. I consider myself a good hobbyist, but really struggle with greenstuff and am constantly amazed at what some people can do with it.

Anyway, I won't get into further detail, suffice to say I finally finished the model and undercoated it....only to find that my greenstuffing was as bad as I feared. I had to scrape a few bits off and start over. Again, this is all documented on Twitter. In the end I was able to basically extend the breastplate armour to form more of a collar which covered the neck join. I was able to get this nice and smooth and it basically fixed the thing.

Phew...sorry, rambled on a bit more there. To be honest though, I don't really need to comment on the painting side of things at all. As with Lotann and the other non Phoenix Temple models I have painted in this scheme, everything is all pretty much predetermined as I have set rules in place for what colours go where in this army now. I was able to successfully (I think) port the Phoenix scheme onto the Tauralon and with the addition of the pattern on the forelimbs I think he came out pretty sweet. I may extend this patterning in the future, but kinda like the subtlety of it at present.

Also, one of the coolest parts of the Tauralon kit is probably the basing stuff...unfortunately due to pre-established rules of this army, that wasn't going to fit so I went with my usual LotR ruins. Thankfully @Bueno was after the basing, so I was able to recuperate some of the models cost as well as ensuring we get to see those cool pieces used by someone else. 

Finally, I added the Everblaze Comet. Whilst seemingly at odds with the rest of my army (fire over snow), I think I have managed to introduce the odd flame here and there as almost a kind of spot "colour", so I think it works well. I added some of the basing pavement stuff to the base so it kept in fitting with the rest of the army and used the same colours for the flames. I was really happy with how this turned out actually and it was a lot of fun to paint. Got me pumped for more Endless Spells.

I took the army to army to the Element Games Grand Slam this weekend and had a great time. Got 4 major wins in my first 4 games but fell short at the final hurdle so ended up in 6th place (52 players). I won Best Order player and also got 2nd Best Army, losing out (narrowly I believe) to @Percivael's stunning Nurgle army (which got my vote).  Not bad all in all.

But yeah, you don't care about any of that, you came here for the pics! Hopefully they are worth scrolling through all the above for!! With the conversion and change in paintjob, I felt my version of Aventis needed a slight rename, so here is Aventis Frost-strike, Grand Astrologian of Coerthas and Aide to Prince Xarca;

8D5596D1-3AFE-4AF3-8C01-1474ACE1E0DE.jpeg.8afbc5357c1c530f1644aa7fc5d6b7c9.jpeg

2B0D3B68-64BC-451F-836A-0D60844B17A7.jpeg.38b612819bbab8a95ef59075a514a96d.jpeg

BE7793DC-9523-4FAA-B672-2194D93CEF7D.jpeg.6c6cb143f3efe58e854e83e0cf8c7930.jpeg

1168AE25-CECF-4E07-BD3E-5141A682AF21.jpeg.4665fce68317fd3bde4f4a8c870e94a2.jpeg

2D026521-5FCE-4694-B946-852120F1D2B0.jpeg.a44080ad6929fea43a0162b820416cb9.jpeg

BA8A4FEA-E5EE-4B16-B265-0672516D6E82.jpeg.c53cbf47e75b6c9c53f2b2ed12966713.jpeg

C578260F-1769-474B-A0CC-4CBBC10ABE1F.jpeg.c8552d26a397c8f7cfa3719e182e3d52.jpeg

088142EA-F8AD-4AC5-B4EC-204625D5C3C4.jpeg.6c399a47f1c5c0ccf0ba9f0503c70029.jpeg

09821B15-1EE3-44C1-B08A-F3A54CBA6D75.jpeg.6a99d5b69d8784b50d66b2add2e7589b.jpeg

Cheers for looking,
Chris x

• Like 18

Amazing work Chris. As you know I’m a huge fan of this army, and once again an inspiration - now I’m hankering for an army with a similar sense of stern, stoic soldiers resplendent in glorious uniforms! For a while I was thinking of Disspossessed, the most recent plastics of these are still ace, but the lack of a centre piece and the high model count eventually put me off. Now I’m thinking Sacrosanct Chamber Stormcast will fill that niche nicely. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Percivael said:

Amazing work Chris. As you know I’m a huge fan of this army, and once again an inspiration - now I’m hankering for an army with a similar sense of stern, stoic soldiers resplendent in glorious uniforms! For a while I was thinking of Disspossessed, the most recent plastics of these are still ace, but the lack of a centre piece and the high model count eventually put me off. Now I’m thinking Sacrosanct Chamber Stormcast will fill that niche nicely. 

Thanks man, high praise indeed.

Yeh Sacrosanct is a great choice, it's where my army is going to end up now with Aventis being the first piece. I have the rest of the army, it's just getting round to painting it. I won't be rushing myself as I have other armies I can use at events, so a pretty nice position to be in.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with for yours!

• Like 2

Beautiful army and fantastic finish at EGGS- congrats!

I love the additions, actually made the Firestrike mount look amazing. 

How did you find playing the army- going 4-1 is no easy feat, especially with an ‘underdog’ army and it would be interesting to get your perspective on what you would change ( if anything) and where you see this army moving forward. 

• Thanks 1

This army looks absolutely stunning! I love the colour scheme! How did you make the gold have such a pale colour? When I paint gold it always seems to turn out too reddish for my liking... 

And btw are those ruins you used for the phoenixes the LOTRs Osgiliath Ruins scenery? They look gorgeous. 

I think the pale colours really works out well! 

• Thanks 1

Morning,

Thanks for the replies, glad people seem to be digging it. The online response has defo made some of the earlier pain in the process worth it!

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:25 AM, LLV said:

Beautiful army and fantastic finish at EGGS- congrats!

I love the additions, actually made the Firestrike mount look amazing. 

How did you find playing the army- going 4-1 is no easy feat, especially with an ‘underdog’ army and it would be interesting to get your perspective on what you would change ( if anything) and where you see this army moving forward. 

Cheers man! Was really please with the finish to be fair. I'm taking the army to a one day event tomorrow as well. There's a couple of players/armies I don't expect to be able to beat, so I'm hoping for a 2-1 record and have my fingers crossed for a crack at the painting prize. We'll see, some great painters in attendance so it will be tough.

The only issue with the Tauralon as a stock standard kit is the head IMO. It's beautifully sculpted, but the aesthetic is not for me and certainly isn't in keeping with my Phoenix Temple, so it was a necessary conversion.

The army is maybe slightly boring to play as it doesn't do all that much, nor does it have much variety. Aventis and the Comet definitely add some interest and excitement to the army though. In terms of competitive choices, I'd probably need to paint more Phoenix Guard and drop Aventis/Comet, then maybe add in a couple of units of Evocators - that doesn't really seem as fun though, so I'm going to stick with the army as it is for tomorrow and also for Facehammer GT in a few weeks. After that I'll decide how to progress.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:48 AM, Yoshiya said:

Amazing army. Really making me want to start something similar but I have enough on my plate for now. Will have to come back here for inspiration if I ever decide to make a winter themed army however.

Thank you, glad to have given some inspiration :D 

22 hours ago, Benjamin Ek said:

This army looks absolutely stunning! I love the colour scheme! How did you make the gold have such a pale colour? When I paint gold it always seems to turn out too reddish for my liking... 

And btw are those ruins you used for the phoenixes the LOTRs Osgiliath Ruins scenery? They look gorgeous. 

I think the pale colours really works out well! 

Thanks Benjamin, very kind words.

It's interesting as I talk to people about the gold a lot. I actually paint it in a pretty standard fashion with Retributor Armour spray and Reikland Fleshshade - which is what creates that reddish base you mentioned. The key is layering up to Liberator Gold, which is a very silver, almost dull gold. At the end of the paintjob, I also give the models a coat of Testor's Dullcote, which adds to this look. Finally, I think (though I have no basis for proof) that the cold palette that accompanies the gold has the effect of almost desaturating the gold further, which helps create that really cold look. Highlighting a lot of the colours with P3 Frostbite (a light blue grey - there will be a GW alternative) instead of white or cream further helps with the coldness. I will say under some lighting the army can look a little warmer with the gold seeming more yellow, but the photos depict the army in the preferred way for it to be viewed.

They are indeed the LotR Osgiliath Ruins - a fantastic kit!

12 hours ago, mcfishstick said:

Amazing work! I love the ice-cold colour scheme, the ruins that litter the bases and those snow effects on the phoenix flying low are great! It is a really atmospheric army and I love it!

Thanks man! I love you used the term atmospheric, that's very evocative and totally the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Cheers for reading,
Chris x

• Like 1

Well that's some brilliant, brilliant work on Aventis there Chris. Bloody well done sir. The effort in the conversion work has paid off as that winged Gryph-charger looks amazing and the joins are pretty seamless. Painting wise, its pretty glorious too - the patterning on the forelimbs is really subtle but gorgeous, and I love the blue on Aventis' cloak.

I think I mentioned before how good the Sacrosanct stuff would look in your capable hands and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you do with them.

• Thanks 1