Which is your least favourite faction and why?

9 hours ago, Rungi said:

Death. Pretty much all death armies. I find the concept of a bunch of skeletons wandering around at the command of a lonely old hermit pretty boring. Slight exception for the flesheaters. Read their AOS fluff and don't love it, but it's not too bad. Just my 2 cents though.

Agreed.  I would have rather seen the death armies pushed into the other factions.  Could have just angry dead things into destruction,   Order Dead, Chaos Dead, etc.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. The Top Notchs. I don't know who think thats its a cool thing to have in a orc/ork, but I just don't like that. Its like Abaddon. I can't take him serious with that hair! I have not a single orc with that? They are all bald, more bald than Xarles Xavier! 

And I love Beastmen, but as you said, I think that they will benefit if they are moved to destruction. Maybe they origin its Chaos, but its obvius that the Chaos Gods just ignore them, and they are more like a destruction race. They should expand its themes. Don't go just with the "sheep man" thing.

In the old Hordes of Chaos 6ª edition for example, they talk about the "Werewolves", Chaos Spawn that where... Werewolves, basically, not the amorphous regular Chaos Spawn.  They need to add all that kind of things to them. 

@DeadlySarcasm – thank you for making the edit, it is appreciated. I realize this was an internet faux-pas…

@erasercrumbs and @Galas: I am also not the biggest fan of top knots. And they can be seen across almost every Alliance (Khorne, Stormcasts, Bonesplitterz). Reminds me of a response the GW guys gave on Facebook to someone posting that top knots are dumb, which made me smile: “They are all the rage in Hammerhal”.

@Vasshpit: I’m with you on more female models, and ones that look like they are going into battle as opposed to a bikini contest. I understand that visual cues have to be emphasized when working on 30mm scale to be seen, but dress code is one easy thing to put in place. I do hope that there will be more models like the Sisters of Thorn and the new female Stormcast...

@Dez: Ohhh, not the elves? 20 years ago when I was playing Blood Bowl I wanted to play them, but didn’t like the fact that they would drop like flies. Now, if I had to build a second order army I would go with aelves… Just waiting really for the new models to come out before taking the plunge. If/when I do, I will have to do something about the over-abundance of long hats – I know that they are from Jes Goodwin, but they sometime remind me too much of the Coneheads movie

@CoffeeGrunt – I feel that I have to give some support for the Death Alliance – I also love all them dead folks. Especially the whole Deathlords range, where I feel that GW has made these models their own. And I love the fact that they have this very distinct playing style.

@Squirrelmaster I am surprised that you are the only one to have mentioned this. I do love my Stormcasts a lot, but with the constant “Sigmarine” and “over-loved AoS poster boys” feedback (especially with the Feb releases), I would have thought that more would have said the same as you.

@sandlemad: I actually really like the models, although it is an army that I do not always enjoy facing…

@Galas– I agree that Beastmen would fit well with Destruction army and would help bring more diversity. A bit like the ogors – at least in my view - the narrative makes it easy for this faction to fit well in both Chaos and Destruction.

I have never really liked the Empire free/people. They don't particularly inspire me. I found a lot of WFB quite bland Tolkien like and the move to more outlandish stuff in Age of Sigmar is far more appealing.

I hope that if they redo Free People's then we get something relatively interesting done with them: militia whipped into a fervour by crusading kings and so on. 

I just love Bretonia and Empire. I don't play them, but to me its like the "Weird War" versions of WW2 war. 

Lansquanetes (Greatswords), Holy Roman Empire troops and Arthurian Medieval Knights fighting against hordes of beastmen, Dragons, Demons and Orcs just feel so epic and amazing.

As I said, just like seeing American and English Troopers fighting against Zombie WW2 German Soldiers and Mechanized Rusian Bears with RocketLaunchers at his back.

EDIT: The german faction of the WW2 don't pass the filter.

I also love the epic notion of noble knights fighting against hordes of evil and monsters. This of course is all down to personal taste, but I MUCH prefer the medieval look of the Bretonnian (as well as their ethos) to the more modern / high fantasy Free Peoples...

The Bretonnians (or any re-invented version of them) are definitely at the top of the (long) list of armies I wish GW would release new models for.

If/when they do, I seriously hope that GW goes back to a more realistic/detailed version of the helms  - I much prefer the 90s sculpts to the more simplistic (not to say cartoon-ish) latest plastic versions. 

I would also be very happy with a new look, combined version of Free People and Bretonnians - as long as they made the faction in a grittier / darker vibe.

• Any faction that has a "none of the above" vibe (e.g. Monsters of Chaos).
  • Any faction that is the "vanilla" version of its archetype (e.g.  Clan Verminus, Greenskinz, etc.).
  • Stormcast Eternals. Sorry, but I''m tired of seeing them front-and-center of so much artwork. They've almost become like a GW Roman Reigns. Plus, I find them sterile, bland and cold, and feel to me like a very top-down design concept (i.e. the creatives dancing to the tune of the bean-counters, rather than the other way around).

Man who cares, lets just be able to chat some plastic toys without people losing it. This thread wasnt about hate or rage until someone else brought it up. 

My least fav faction is wanderers btw..dark and high is justso much cooler!

I've never liked Greenskins of any variety (probably an unpopular opinion around here!). The comic relief stuff is amusing for about five minutes... and then I just want to forget about them. The cartoony models and background just do nothing for me - I guess I'm more of a "serious" fantasy guy.

I'd never touch dwarfs/duardin either, though in that case it's purely due to the chunky, awkwardly proportioned models (I much prefer the style of the LotR dwarves). I have a similar problem with Stormcasts - those tiny heads and giant shoulders... *shudder*. Their general Space Marine vibe doesn't help either, given that Space Marines are probably my absolute least favourite GW army across any game system!

Come to think of it, given that I mostly play humans and elves, you could probably say that how much I like an army is directly related to how close to normal human proportions its models are xD

1. Free Peoples: I loved the Empire and Bretonia. The idea of medieval germans pitted against orcs, ratmen and daemons was part of what sold Warhammer to me in the first place, ditto Arthurian knights crossed with Agincourt. Now though, I feel like they stick out like a sore thumb in Age of Sigmar, since after thousands of years every human civilisation looks exactly like a single nation from the world that was.

2. Beastmen: Again something that back in the day (3rd-4th edition) was one of my favourites. Back then the children of chaos had real character, with widespread mutations and a unique culture. With the advent of 6th ed, GW moved its plastic units towards easy to rank up, limited pose models, starting with lizardmen and beastmen. It made them far too 'samey' to really do justice to the archetype. This is the range I'm most looking forward to being redone, and I hope they borrow from Realms of Chaos heavily.

3. Exalted Deathbringer: This guy is the worst offender for my biggest pet hate - models who could never practically fight. I'm not adverse to a bit of heroic scaling on weapons but this guy holds a two handed axe whilst having that fighting claw bound to his left hand, meaning he could never actually swing his weapon. He also fits into this bizarre full plate on the legs with a bare torso thing GW seem keen on at the moment, which just strikes me as ridiculous. Last but not least, he has a topknot, which has got to be the least practical hairstyle on any warrior ever. As anyone who has ever done any sort of martial art or contact sport will tell you, the head is the balance centre of the body. Sticking a whacking great handle onto it which screams "pull me!" is ludicrous, yet GW persist on sticking them on everything. [/rant]

This thread will probably do more harm than good. Yeah I get it those are just plastic miniatures but nevertheless people usually spend hundreds of hours to make them shine. For my own sake I leave this topic just in case I read my army looks dumb. :-P

Those superhumans represented as paragons of righteousness and justice. Acting as Mary Sue with their bland super armour and dull mega weapons that try too hard to be the good guys that always win the day and have to protect those that aren't as cool as them.

Yeah, I dislike....

.....SPACE MARINES (what were you thinking? :P)  

More seriously, I don't think there is a faction that I dislike fully, they all have their appeal. However, it's rather the GW approach that makes me progressively dislike certain factions.  Example: I always liked Khorne (the Hordes of Chaos concept in 6th ed. was awesome). But when I see the recent minis (wrathmongers....) or the whole SKULLZZZ concept turned up to 11, it just looks stupid. So I start to dislike them.

Also, when a faction gets too much attention and is obviously being pushed foward by GW (posterboys!), it becomes quite irritating and could explain the aversion towards them. If you don't get them shoved down the throat each time you check new releases and get some variety, it helps to appreciate certain things.  

I won't single out any faction I dislike, but instead mention an army that I don't play and won't play but that I am happy is around:

All the old human free guild peoples. I really hope we would get the human element enhanced (i.e.. not superhuman storm cast or living dead/zombies)... I never felt compelled to play them, but I really feel that they function as a great anchor to all their opponents. Instead of everything being fantasy on steroids I like the idea of humans challenged by al these other more extreme factions. The Death faction -that I play- makes much more sense with a strong human factor to play up against. The same could be said of orruks and grots and chaos as well. I like the free guild for not being on steroids. This way the extremeness of the other armies really get to shine as well, and it's fun from a fluffy perspective to have the human societies fighting off threats to their survival.

Just wanted to give some love to the empire... 

29 minutes ago, Aryann said:

This thread will probably do more harm than good. Yeah I get it those are just plastic miniatures but nevertheless people usually spend hundreds of hours to make them shine. For my own sake I leave this topic just in case I read my army looks dumb. :-P

On the face of it i would agree. perhaps by opening threads with more specific outcomes (Which faction needs an asethetic update or which faction needs the more elite models) or something like that.

However the mods on here are pretty good for cracking down on negative threads and preserving that TGA positivity that has been so nice in what was a pretty hostile enviroment a year ago.

So far people seem to have remained sensible and dispassionate i think its just important that people word their posts as an oppinion with clear reasoning rather than (You lot are all stupid for likeing X because its models suck, its rules suck and its lore sucks).

So do agree with coffeegrunts initial assesment but hey lets give it a go and if it falls to pieces we will know the world isent ready :)

Fyreslayers. Im not a huge fan overall. I think that majority of this comes from my love of the old world Slayers and their concept as well as being a Gotrek & Felix fanboy and didnt personally like the change from repentent bezerkers with dark pasts to the mercenarys they are now.

Dont get me wrong the whole concept of "primative" lizard riding fire Duardin is great. Love it. Just wish they hadent messed with my slayers.

As for the models. Magmadroth. love it.. However i did feel that their was something offputting about the Nakedness (no im not squimish or anything its just not all that asethtically pleasing to me. Secondly i felt the poses were a little off. the attempts to make them look like they were in motion looked like they were dancing on their tippy toes a little to much.

That being said i have seen people do minor conversions to rectify these problems which look great.

In short i wish Fyreslayers had been Fyre soemthing else and that the original slayers were left untouched.

Hopefully that was fairly diplomatic and shouldnt offend as its all based on a prior oppnion.

10 hours ago, Davariel said:

I've never liked Greenskins of any variety (probably an unpopular opinion around here!). The comic relief stuff is amusing for about five minutes... and then I just want to forget about them. The cartoony models and background just do nothing for me - I guess I'm more of a "serious" fantasy guy.

I'd never touch dwarfs/duardin either, though in that case it's purely due to the chunky, awkwardly proportioned models (I much prefer the style of the LotR dwarves). I have a similar problem with Stormcasts - those tiny heads and giant shoulders... *shudder*. Their general Space Marine vibe doesn't help either, given that Space Marines are probably my absolute least favourite GW army across any game system!

Come to think of it, given that I mostly play humans and elves, you could probably say that how much I like an army is directly related to how close to normal human proportions its models are xD

I think the problem with Greenskins in general its that people only see them with OUR vision outside the setting. You know, we see them fight, laugh and have fun doing what its basically... kill things.

In all those stories about the Waaagh! Of greenskins invading the Old Empire and Dwarfs Holds, they only talk about the battles, the glory and the heroes.

But, have you think about what do the Greenskins with the Civilians once they win?

I have read fiction writed by fans, and believe me, the mental image of Greenskins laughing and playing at the same time they are just feeding his squigs with alive human childs that just scream with fear and cry before being eaten alive by a pack of wolf-like squigs, change how you see the Greenskins.

Greenskins, Orcs, Orks, Goblins, even Ogres, are TERRIBLE things that are present to us in a "funny" depiction. But just set aside that superficial layer, and you see the truth of what they do.

Kharadron Overlords... pretty cool over all.... and then I see the face mask, helmet things and it just kills it for me.... unhelmeted options at least would be nice.

The gigantic pointy conehead helms of older elves also kill it for me.... I for one am hoping that does not carry over into future design.

Different strokes for different folks though.

As a Dwarf player, I hate all non Dwarf armies, but that's just Dwarven pride/ lore reasons.  With that said my other army is mixed destruction, so I don't think my hate is holding my back too much.

I'm also not crazy about death, because I lose against Death armies a lot.  My personal book of grudges is littered with undead entries.

Yeah, I think funnily enough the Space Marine game got the horror of the Orks down fairly well once you start coming across Guardsmen. You can go throw tonnes of Orks without too much issue, but you'll come across positions with Orks assaulting a barricade, the Guardsmen hammering their lasguns into its face to no avail. The Ork leaps the barricade effortlessly and smashes them to pieces if you don't intervene.

It's easy to forget that these things are massive, hulking brutes who can be decapitated and still keep swinging, who are in a practically endless horde and who will splat a man into meat jam if they get a hold of him. As far as what they do afterwards, well Orks gotta eat something, right? Might as well be the slaves they captured.

Yeah, at least in 40k its specified that most of the Ork clans take slaves after the battles. One clan existed in the war for Armageddon that was famous because it NOT capture slaves, it just killed everybody.

Where you think all the ammo the Orks shoot come from? They have massive slave factorys that I don't think are funny places to live and work. But that kind of thing its like the most obscure side of chaos, its not in the cover of the codex or army book. You need to look for them in novels, etc...

Actually Orks just believe their guns work, they don't bother with cleaning or even loading them :) I believe that I read that in the Xenology book.

From what I recall, a group of Mechanicum were trying to figure out how to work an Ork gun to no avail and figured it was useless. An Ork prisoner got his hands on it and blasted everyone to pieces much to their surprise :)

Yes! But the power of the gestalt field of the Orks its pretty inconsistent in the Warhammer Lore. At some point it was "If a Ork believe a stick can fire, it will fire", other times its "Its just make the improbable, probable", etc... 

So, sometimes Orks don't need ammo, or they just put a lot of little metal pieces in their guns and thats become ammunition, and in others novels/sources they have enormous factorys full of grots and slaves of other races making amunnition.

One of the things that I love more about the Orks its that they have Ballistic Skill of 2 not because they have problems aiming, but just because they love to pull the trigger and let the "gun" shoot where it wants.

Flesh Eaters.  Not because I dislike the style or fluff or anything, but rather because of how completely poorly they fit into the matched play rules which were released only a short time after their book.

Like, the courtier heroes are critical to how they play!  But no new models, you're supposed to convert regular unit troopers into them.  Which was fine, until matched play came along with its batched unit pricing, so now converting a couple ghoul courtiers leaves you with 8 useless vestigial leftover ghouls.  You might want to convert both a horror and a flayer hero, but that still leaves you with one useless leftover model out of a pricey box of three.

Or then there's the ghoul kings, who used to have fantastic ghoul-buffing command abilities, but now every one of them has been replaced with summoning abilities, which are really lackluster under the matched play rules thanks to the way reserve points work.

As a result, the flesh eaters are the one Death subfaction that I have relatively little desire to play or expand.  Which is frustrating, as I like their fluff & visual aesthetics.

Archived