Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

2 hours ago, Pritzker128 said:

but hey have just one neck.

Also, how this creature is suppose to move? Can it fly? if so, what happen to the upper torso? just flipping around?

Do it walk? can't imagine this creature walking in their nuckles or palms without being pricked by their own "wings".

Maybe if the designer just make the lower torso to be some armour as well it may not look like two differents models just glued together.

mother of nonsense.jpeg

Yeah it's different to normal Centaurs, because it isn't technically a centaur. It's It's amalgamation of two monstrosities. It's not to everyone's taste and so what? Not everyone has to buy it. I personally love it (the female one, really not a fan of the male generic one)... but even so, just because horses have a different anatomy to the dragon thing or the giant model you posted doesn't make it any less weird when you think about half a human growing out of a horses neck.

Also that giant/vampire you posted still has just one neck, no different to a normal centaur or the new bat/dragon/vamp thing. A 'human' torso growing out of where a neck would usually be, whether it is on the giant you posted, the dragon thing that we have for soulblight, or a classic centaur. All those creatures are a 'human' or at least near-human body, from the waist up, growing out of where the neck would have been for the other animal.

Edited by Ghoooouls
  • Like 3

Really wanna see some warscrolls and rules, so we can start theorycrafting a little. Really wanna know if it will be a mass army or a more elite one. Hope there will be a competitive elite way to go. Like 2-3 big heroes and a lot of blood knights. Maybe some wolves as screen and/or 1 big unit of skeletons/zombies. And not something like 3x40 skeletons Style..

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 1

What I most want to see is a list of the new dynasties, with a brief description of their personality & lore.  I talk a big game on 'competitively viable' this and 'mechanical identity' that, but at the end of the day I'm more of a narrative player, what little I play at all, and I just want to know what the fluffy themes on offer are.

We've already got a solid taste of what the Vyrkos are about, and their 'beasts of the Night / Russian Forests' thing is pretty cool, but I want to know if there's something closer to Necrarch Bloodline / Legion of Sacrament in terms of embracing magic, undead horrors, and willing service to the Great Necromancer.

I also want to start hearing what the mortarchs are up to now that Teclis has, at least for the time being, loosened their chains.  And I don't just mean the Soulblight mortarchs, either.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I would like to know if there are certain builds that allow access to other death faction units similar to CoS. But I suspect not..

I hope not!! I don’t like That concept

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I would like to know if there are certain builds that allow access to other death faction units similar to CoS. But I suspect not..

I hope so!! I like That concept

• Like 7

7 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

Not sure if I like Lauka Vai because of the concept of a twisted monstrosity desperately clinging to the last vestiges of its former nobility and honor is a compelling concept or if it's because she's hot

Why not both? ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

I hope not!! I don’t like That concept

11 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

The duality of man.

Personally, I am into the 1-in-4 mechanic for armies that are supposed to be really close. I just like that the units you bring in actually get to benefit from your allegiance and other abilities. Since ghouls and ghosts used to be part of Vampire Counts, I could see it for those two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

I hope Vargheists remain battleline cuz I have a lot of them

lets see how they handle subfactions, since the book still looks like LoN and not Soulblight only. 

Makes sense that the general will unlock battleline. Maybe Vengorian Lord unlocks vargheist battleline or something like that

@Neil Arthur Hotep I just want to run the black coach alongside the the rest of my vampire counts minis as it was always intended ;)

Imagine, after years of waiting for a new black coach miniature, when it finally comes out it's not available to the Vampire Counts faction. 

And yeah, allies are alright but if the unit isn't baked into the book then sometimes you're sacrificing a lot of performance just to make sure that one model or unit you like makes it in. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Gotz said:

lets see how they handle subfactions, since the book still looks like LoN and not Soulblight only. 

Makes sense that the general will unlock battleline. Maybe Vengorian Lord unlocks vargheist battleline or something like that

Vengorian seems more associated with blood knights based on the little tidbits of fluff we got on monday, ashamed of their own monstrous forms, clinging to a false sense of nobility.  But that was only a sliver of a glimpse at them, so it might not be an accurate impression.

I'm hopeful for vargheist battleline somehow, but at the same time, so long as the minimum size for dire wolves stays at 5, what is or isn't battleline won't matter as much in gravelords as it does in, say, OBR.  It would be nice if this or that unit can be battleline, but what matters more will be whether they're good for their points, and good in a way that you can base armies on.

Edited by Sception

17 minutes ago, Sception said:

Vengorian seems more associated with blood knights based on the little tidbits of fluff we got on monday, ashamed of their own monstrous forms, clinging to a false sense of nobility.  But that was only a sliver of a glimpse at them, so it might not be an accurate impression.

I'm hopeful for vargheist battleline somehow, but at the same time, so long as the minimum size for dire wolves stays at 5, what is or isn't battleline won't matter as much in gravelords as it does in, say, OBR.  It would be nice if this or that unit can be battleline, but what matters more will be whether they're good for their points, and good in a way that you can base armies on.

yeah, the WC article said that Avengorii are the "we kill monsters and are cool" faction wich sounds very bloodknighty.
Also direwolves staying at 5 minimum is one of my greatest hopes

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Like 2

On that topic I'd love for Vargheists to be a lil more killy than they are now. 

Perhaps have Feeding Frenzy trigger on wounds dealt and not models slain? It's effectively what it does now against single wound models. 
Or if that's what it's meant to do thematically then maybe make it a 5+ instead of a 6+? 

Failing that, an extra attack against damaged/below strength units just like the akhelian allopex? 

Nothing crazy, but a bit of a buff would be appreciated.

The one thing I wanted for Vargheists back in the Legions of Nagash range was a longer or more reliable charge distance, to complement their thematic place in the Legion of Night.  As it was, the legion they best fit in thematically was better off using morghast harbingers for the same role.

But Soulblight gravelords supposedly won't have Morghasts to compete with, and it's not clear yet what Mannfred's subfaction will be,or whether it will carry forward any version of the legion of night's outflanking mechanics.  So I'm not sure what if any adjustments or modifications vargheists need to their current rules to shine in the new faction.

Edited by Sception

17 hours ago, Aren73 said:

The Vengorian Lord is meant to be a messed up creature, I can imagine the vampire trying to keep a semblance of nobility, decorum and honour even as its lower half warps and changes beyond recognition. 

If you think it looks painful then good, it's meant to. 

Well put. Stumbling, flailing, careening towards you in an ungainly fashion, shrieking with hunger and self-loathing. It's the same with the (non-flying) Varghulfs as animated in Total War, only even more so. The vestiges of human musculature are just not meant to be warped this way in the pursuit of becoming a bestial predator, especially when the former human in question is still clinging to some sort of nobility.

I'm still not wild about the model but it's fun to imagine how horrible it would be to see in motion, and I like how this is another take on the bestial/knightly vampire dichotomy. Both sides in one chimeric miniature rather than segregating them out.

• Like 1

I just noticed while browsing the GW website that the Black Coach now shows up when you use the "unit" filter. It most likely doesn't mean anything, but that implies there have been changes made to its entry in the website. I don't know whether this indicates that we'll get it or not and I'm probably just extrapolating, but I'm so hungry for news that I couldn't help but mention it.

14 minutes ago, Takyz said:

I just noticed while browsing the GW website that the Black Coach now shows up when you use the "unit" filter. It most likely doesn't mean anything, but that implies there have been changes made to its entry in the website. I don't know whether this indicates that we'll get it or not and I'm probably just extrapolating, but I'm so hungry for news that I couldn't help but mention it.

Considering that it doesn't show up in the legions of nagash section, while the old 'legion black coach' has been removed altogether (not just 'no longer available), I'm inclined to say no coach for us, at least not natively.  I wouldn't be unhappy to be wrong here, but all available signs point to no.

That said, the wraith, banshee, and spirit hosts are still in the LoN section, while the coven throne and blood palanquin aren't, so web store probably doesn't mean much.

Edited by Sception

4 minutes ago, Sception said:

Considering that it doesn't show up in the legions of nagash section, while the old 'legion black coach' has been removed altogether (not just 'no longer available), I'm inclined to say no coach for us, at least not natively.  I wouldn't be unhappy to be wrong here, but all available signs point to no.

I'd say that doesn't mean much for now. They had to get rid of the old coach, that's just housekeeping and they're decommissioning LoN as a whole. However, they weren't going to add the new coach into LoN a month before the LoN is basically dropped as a faction. Spirit Hosts, Morghasts and NH heroes are still there for LoN too. 

Until the Soulblight Gravelords section shows up we won't really know much one way or the other. 

Simply put, I am gagging for even just a single new article about the book. I'd have thought after the release we'd get at least one this week, they sure like teasing us...

To be fair, this week has been dedicated to warhammer fest.  I personally didn't expect any articles on the contents of the battletome until next week.

If we're in the same position a week from now, though, I'll be getting pretty twitchy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aren73 said:

Same. Several times I've almost gone all in on Cities of Sigmar because of the 1 in 4 rule. I think it is REALLY cool. But I get drawn away by other projects. With the Broken Realms series I almost jumped in Cities but then I thought I'd wait until this week and sure enough with Gravelords coming sometime this month I'm once against pushing off Cities, if Gravelords were to have the 1 in 4 rule it would put the nail in the coffin (ha!) for me ever doing Cities of Sigmar.

Also what if Vargheists feeding frenzy rule changed to allowing it to fight again if it killed a model. Either immediately, later in the combat phase or at the end of the combat phase. Would be a great blender against chaff. On top of that, their speed and fly would support them being pretty good shock troops.

• Like 1