Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

21 minutes ago, Scaras said:

Anyone else having issues with the WarCom warscroll list builder? Some new characters appear but not all, gravelords split between older sub-factions. 

Is the site usually updated by now or do we have to wait?

Usually a few days after release, so next week sometime 

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Currently as the rule is written you only get to bring back one unit per turn. That much is clear no matter what.

Right, you only get one roll, and one roll = one unit.  I don't know how I missed that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CarkFish said:

What is this ? .... Battalion?

It's a new type of the 'anvil of apotheosis' from the generals handbook - essentially a 'hero creator' where you spend points to give your custom hero abilities and better stats. The one in the generals handbook was quite fun, although they tended to be vastly overcosted for matched play. I'm hoping the 'anvil of blood' in the new white dwarf magazine is a little bit less over costed, and it's specifically for making your own vampire heroes.

9 hours ago, Scaras said:

Anyone else having issues with the WarCom warscroll list builder? Some new characters appear but not all, gravelords split between older sub-factions. 

Is the site usually updated by now or do we have to wait?

Warscroll builder is maintained by a third party (the fantastic Tony P).  It'll never be updated prior to the actual release date (22nd) and tends to be a few days after.  This one may be a bit longer as it's multiple new allegiances plus the removal of LoN

1 hour ago, Ghoooouls said:

I'd also appreciate a DM of the anvil of blood, although are you not allowed to post pics? It's not a leak or anything right?

I shall point you to some of the rules of the forum!  The TL:DR version is you may only post officially released photos or ones taken from public events

http://tga.community/forums/topic/17954-important-tgacommunity-and-you/

• Like 1

What do you think about this list? I don't want to use old models nor use batallions (in case they are go the way of the dodo for 3.0). 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Vyrkos Dynasty

Leaders
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Trait: Spoor Trackers
-Artefact: ???
-Spell: Amaranthine Orb

Belladamma Volga (200)
-Spell: Spirit Gale
Radukar The Beast (325)
Kritza The Rat Prince (95)
Necromancer (125)
-Spell: Overwhelming dread

Battleline
40 x Zombies (230)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
3 x Vargheists (155)
3 x Vargheists (155)
5 x Blood Knights (195)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400

The list has 3 main things going on. The first one is the bait-blob, Zombies with vampire general, necromancer and a corpse cart. They will try to win the middle-field objectives and just be annoying.

The 2 units of Dire Wolves with Belladamma Volga are there to flank and absorb some attention from enemies with their Lycancurse. They don't need to much support and are a threat for basic troops and artillery but can be used to tag some heavy hitters and win one turn for Blood Knights.

Blood knights are going to follow Dire Wolves and Volga and just do the heavy lifting. Vargheist are going to try to steal objectives or shock troops, waiting maybe for turn 2 or 3 before going down (or some type of substitute for blood knights if they are killed in early turns and the enemy is exposed). 

Radukar is going to be used as a wild card after summoning more wolves for Blood Knights and/or Volga.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beliman said:

What do you think about this list? I don't want to use old models nor use batallions (in case they are go the way of the dodo for 3.0). 

Reveal hidden contents

- Vyrkos Dynasty

Leaders
Vampire Lord (140)
- General

Belladamma Vola (200)
Radukar The Beast (325)
Necromancer (125)

Battleline
40 x Zombies (230)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
3 x Vargheists (155)
3 x Vargheists (155)
5 x Blood Knights (195)

The list has 3 main things going on. The first one is the bait-blob, Zombies with vampire general, necromancer and a corpse cart. They will try to win the middle-field objectives and just be annoying.

The 2 units of Dire Wolves with Belladamma Volga are there to flank and absorb some attention from enemies with their Lycancurse. They don't need to much support and are a threat for basic troops and artillery but can be used to tag some heavy hitters and win one turn for Blood Knights.

Blood knights are going to follow Dire Wolves and Volga and just do the heavy lifting. Vargheist are going to try to steal objectives or shock troops, waiting maybe for turn 2 or 3 before going down (or some type of substitute for blood knights if they are killed in early turns and the enemy is exposed). 

Radukar is going to be used as a wild card after summoning more wolves for Blood Knights and/or Volga.

I like the basic idea, but I guess I don't really see what your hammer is in the list? Radukar, I guess? Nothing is really taking advantage of the +1 to wound all that well... but you did say you didn't want to go old models, like Grave Guard. Overall, hope it's a good one! Just wish we could get some games in to test these haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Hide contents

- Vyrkos Dynasty

Leaders
Vampire Lord (140)
- General

Belladamma Vola (200)
Radukar The Beast (325)
Necromancer (125)

Battleline
40 x Zombies (230)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)
3 x Vargheists (155)
3 x Vargheists (155)
5 x Blood Knights (195)

First off, love the four generals. That's already winning on style points in my book.

Be aware that, for future proofing, neither Zombies nor Dire Wolves benefit massively from the Vyrkos +1 to wound. Zombies because they deal most of their damage on the hit roll and Dire Wolves because they get +1 to wound on the charge on their warscroll (which will likely not stack in AoS 3). So don't feel too pressured into bringing Vampires to get the buff. Also be aware that the Necromancer does not benefit from any of the Vyrkos allegiance abilities.

I was going to say that Spirit Gale looks a bit iffy as a spell, since it does no damage against 7+ bravery half the time. But actually, looking at the math, it's all right. Especially since you can give enemies -2 bravery by having two Deadwalker units nearby. I guess it can do some work on the occasional low bravery hero as well. The damage ceiling on this spell is actually pretty high. Since Belladamma can pretty much auto-cast CV 5 spells, it looks like a fun choice.

Amaranthine Orb is OK on the Vampire Lord, I think, but Pinions and Soulpike are also worth considering. Soulpike because you really want to discourage your opponents from charging your Zombies and Pinions because +5" move is just always good.

For artefacts: I can't remember all the Vyrkos artefacts off the top of my head, but they mostly don't seem super applicable to your list. There is one which gives you a command point on a 5+ for each command point your opponent uses for one round or turn (can't remember). Outside of that, there is a lot of character buffs like damage on the charge or longer charges. I think you might be better off just taking the Gravesand Brooch from Shyish on the Vampire Lord. Reroll 1s for saves on a 3+ hero is not nothing,

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FeralMulan said:

I like the basic idea, but I guess I don't really see what your hammer is in the list? Radukar, I guess? Nothing is really taking advantage of the +1 to wound all that well... but you did say you didn't want to go old models, like Grave Guard. Overall, hope it's a good one! Just wish we could get some games in to test these haha.

I'm not sure what to take. I don't want to mess with other non-vyrkos units and Grave Guard are a bit old for my taste. But that means that only skeletons can take advantatge of +1 to wound... I suppose that Vargheist+Blood Knights are the ones that are going to punch my oponent while Radukar can help them when he is needed with run&charge(as force multiplier or mortal wounds dealer).

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

So don't feel too pressured into bringing Vampires to get the buff. Also be aware that the Necromancer does not benefit from any of the Vyrkos allegiance abilities.

Yes, that sucks, but I don't have to much things to chose (Corpse Carts?). My Necromancer is there to heal a bit and #dancetime, and I'm pretty sure that he will attract a lof of firepower between him and my general.

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I was going to say that Spirit Gale looks a bit iffy as a spell, since it does no damage against 7+ bravery half the time. But actually, looking at the math, it's all right. Especially since you can give enemies -2 bravery by having two Deadwalker units nearby. I guess it can do some work on the occasional low bravery hero as well. The damage ceiling on this spell is actually pretty high. Since Belladamma can pretty much auto-cast CV 5 spells, it looks like a fun choice.

Amaranthine Orb is OK on the Vampire Lord, I think, but Pinions and Soulpike are also worth considering. Soulpike because you really want to discourage your opponents from charging your Zombies and Pinions because +5" move is just always good.

You are right and I don't think that I need more lifting for 5-7 bravery units. Maybe I will switch to Soulspike, it sounds tasty!

Kriza is there to tag big units and ressurect him to give buff to whoever needs (generic CA/3.0 reactions included).

Edited by Beliman

night sky GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY | Fledermäuse, Flughund, Unheimlich
Some Midnight Legion of Night list-brewing with Mannfred von Carstein:

Wighty might with his mighty Wight Blade

°Mannfred - 380
°Wight King on Skeletonsteed - 130
   -Unholy Impetuous (+1 A w whithin 18" if he kills a model)
°Necromancer 
   - The claw that grants +2 to casting

°2x20 Grave Guard with Great Weapons - 560
°1x Dire Wolves - 135

°2x5 Blood Knights - 390
°20x Deathrattle Skeletons - 170
°Corpse Cart with Balefire (-1 to wound bubble)
1970 points
______
The enemy has to manage Grave Guards and Blood Knights who are all portentially buffed up by the Wight Kings Artefact, while Mannfred can buff as well and the Corpse Cart makes sure one or two units of the Grave Guards are harder to kill

More to come! (Vargheist and Terrorgheist builds, Deathrattle Build, Wolf Build)

Changing topics:

I just realized that Lauka Vai looks so much more coherent without her hip armor!

(image taken from here)sfsdfsa.PNG.01894a9c55a825307d2b032b67c9b50e.PNG
I am grrowing to like the model I guess 

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Wighty might with his mighty Wight Blade

°Mannfred - 380
°Wight King on Skeletonsteed - 130
   -Unholy Impetuous (+1 A w whithin 18" if he kills a model)
°Necromancer 
   - The claw that grants +2 to casting

°2x20 Grave Guard with Great Weapons - 560
°1x Dire Wolves - 135

°2x5 Blood Knights - 390
°20x Deathrattle Skeletons - 170
°Corpse Cart with Balefire (-1 to wound bubble)
1970 points
______
The enemy has to manage Grave Guards and Blood Knights who are all portentially buffed up by the Wight Kings Artefact, while Mannfred can buff as well and the Corpse Cart makes sure one or two units of the Grave Guards are harder to kill

More to come! (Vargheist and Terrorgheist builds, Deathrattle Build, Wolf Build)

I like this approach. I think you squeezed all the value out of the Wight King that it can possibly offer in this list. Using the Wight King as just a source of +1 attack sometimes with Unholy Impetus seems pretty OK. Too bad that his wounds in the charge phase don't trigger it.

Running two smaller blocks of Grave Guard makes it easier to get at least one of them into combat and makes it so that you have a higher chance to get 10 Grave Guard back from Endless Legions. 20 Grave Guard with Great Blades are able to put a good dent into just about anything already, especially with Danse Macabre or +1 attack from the Wight King or Mannfred. Same goes for Blood Knights.

• Like 2

I’m thinking Radukar, Belladonna, couple corpse carts, couple necros and a ton of zombies and dire wolves as a list. Won’t be super competitive but it’ll be fun and thematic.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

About that manfred list i think you can put into some vargheist insted of dire wolfs and 20 grave guard. With manfred vargheist deep strike is very interesting, opponent have to say something to them, until BK can move around dealing some damage. 

51 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

About that manfred list i think you can put into some vargheist insted of dire wolfs and 20 grave guard. With manfred vargheist deep strike is very interesting, opponent have to say something to them, until BK can move around dealing some damage. 

Yes! I'll add another list based on Vargheists as well :)

• Like 1

Ooft that's a bummer, I was keeping my hopes up today for it. 

I think it'd be in GW's best interests to do a WC article on it really. They must've seen some of the feedback by now, I'm sure they use the internet, they can't be oblivious. "Vampire Lord feels boring/uninspired" is a sentiment which has been shared many times (not just by me haha). It would go a long way to reconciling with the detractors of the book if they came out and said "hey, here is an awesome customisation system coming up in the new White Dwarf, here's a preview of some of it!". 

Plus, increasing awareness of the cool stuff in the WD would help them sell more copies. 

What do you guys think about using a soulscream bridge in the army? 

Most of the chaff units are pretty slow to move, could the spell make it not that bad perhaps? Getting +1 from corpsecart and +2 for a legion of night artefact grants us a pretty reliable cast chance.