Death & the Divine undead previews

Sception

1 hour ago, Sception said:

Nothing but hopes and speculation for the eventual battletome at this point.  But at least we have some very nice side game models to look forward to in the mean time.

Yes, let's not lose sight of that. Cursed City is looking really nice, lots of room for cool models both on the hero and undead sides. I was originially hoping the Vampire Huter would be a proper Cities of Sigmar unit, but I am warming up more and more to the idea of a self contained little hobby project like Warhammer Quest.

Since the preview had nothing about Gravelords, it would make the most sense to me if they got their release after BR: Teclis. I think it's likely that the events of that book will be justifying why Vampires are suddenly their own faction. We should have expected that, to be honest: Vampires being impotant had been set up in BR: Morathi, but not paid off. It makes sense that we would need to see the narrative developments of one more book before the faction can be officially revealed. Since BR: Teclis is about Nagash, but Legions of Nagash don't feature in the book, I think a release of the (possible) LoN successor faction afterwards would be a very natural place for it in the narrative. That would also mirror what happened with Hedonites.

I think the release order will be like this:

BR: Teclis, which will bring the story forward and introduce us to the first appearences of the Vampire forces (aka Gravelords). After that we'll see the Vampire Underworlds Warband. I would assume that parallel we'll get the official reveal of the new Gravelord faction, since all WHU models have rules for AoS and it would be strange to release them and then not set up the Gravelords for the near future. After the Underworlds warband is released we'll get the new Warhammer Quest. which will introduce a lot of the new units that will be available to the Gravelords. And then finally the faction proper will be released. 

It was the same with Silver Tower, which introduced Tzaangors and Kairic Acolytes. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Causalis said:

I think the release order will be like this:

BR: Teclis, which will bring the story forward and introduce us to the first appearences of the Vampire forces (aka Gravelords). After that we'll see the Vampire Underworlds Warband. I would assume that parallel we'll get the official reveal of the new Gravelord faction, since all WHU models have rules for AoS and it would be strange to release them and then not set up the Gravelords for the near future. After the Underworlds warband is released we'll get the new Warhammer Quest. which will introduce a lot of the new units that will be available to the Gravelords. And then finally the faction proper will be released. 

It was the same with Silver Tower, which introduced Tzaangors and Kairic Acolytes. 

I could see a release of Cursed City before the Soulblight warband, as well. We know it has been in the works for ages from rumour engines. It's just really hard to tell what is slowing down GW releases right now. Is production the bottleneck? Distribution? Did Paul Marketing find out a slower release schedule would maximizie consumer engagement?

1 hour ago, lare2 said:

Those models are very nice, especially the gravekeeper. I'll be picking up the warband in a heartbeat. Anyone with any xp of WHQ know if the models end up getting released generally? Reluctant to buy into a new game as my time for gaming (when there isn't a pandemic) is precious and I need to focus on the systems I do play. 

As far as I’m aware, the heroes and most of the enemy units in the silver tower box were released separately. The Gaunt Summoner and Ogroid Thaumaturge were the same sculpts but the Tzaangors and Kairic acolytes were released as a multi pose kit. The caveat to all this is that the Blackstone Fortress stuff was pretty random in what was actually released separately. None of the heroes, and of the enemies it was just the Chaos cultists and the Chaos Lord (they did precede the recent update to the Chaos stuff though) 

Basically what I’m saying is you will probably get some models, in some form or another as separate releases, but no guarantee they will be the same sculpts. So if you really like the Cursed City stuff I’d reckon it’s safer to buy it rather than holding out for a potential seperate release.

Edited by NotAWzrd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NotAWzrd said:

Basically what I’m saying is you will probably get some models, in some form or another as separate releases, but no guarantee they will be the same sculpts. So if you really like the Cursed City stuff I’d reckon it’s safer to buy it rather than holding out for a potential seperate release.

Thanks for the reply. So basically if I want to guarantee I get these exact models I'd have to bite the bullet. Cool - best start saving now.

The vampire warband looks really good, a very classic vampire look, but I think I might like the weird gravedigger guy from the new warhammer quest even better. The vampires are classy and restrained and not overdesigned which is good but but the more outre gravedigger suggests they're not playing it too safe with their designs for the new death faction. 

Not so keen on the lumineth elf-fox-cow-wind-god thing. 

26 minutes ago, Orsino said:

Not so keen on the lumineth elf-fox-cow-wind-god thing

Do not suffer the furry to live...

and fluff wise I don’t know why teclis is hating, sure Nagash shook up the realms a bit, but Sigmar stole all the bling and locked it away in the vaults, Hedonites are trying to free slaneesh.

he should be storming to Azyr to complain or into the All-Point instead of stirring up beef with somebody how is better at magic

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Honk said:

He should be storming to Azyr to complain or into the All-Point instead of stirring up beef with somebody who is better at magic

I dunno Honk.  Teclis  is pretty arrogant.  He almost genocide(d) his own children when they weren’t perfect enough.

Edited by Evil Bob
Teclis
  • Haha 2

My guess is that the Cursed City's contents will be closer to a 'preview' of the actual Gravelords release in the way Silver Tower was for the Kalric Acolytes and Overkill was for Deathwatch/Genestealer Cults, as opposed to the Traitor Guard in BSF which haven't seen a 'proper' release yet as anything but proxies for Cultists (and the Traitor Commissar/Ogryns have neither).

The Gravedigger 'boss' character has the spade and is shown cranking open a casket. I believe Adam mentioned in the preview that they bury the dead and then bring them to the surface when necessary, we see the mummified zombies on the trailer - that certainly sounds like something befitting the name Gravelord(tm). Plus there look to be Vampire 'mooks' freerunning across the buildings, plus a few skeletons.

Watching again, the skeleton has an eyepatch and a cutlass, so presumably the 'Ghoul Captain' we saw previewed at New Year will be a Boss.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, lare2 said:

Those models are very nice, especially the gravekeeper. I'll be picking up the warband in a heartbeat. Anyone with any xp of WHQ know if the models end up getting released generally? Reluctant to buy into a new game as my time for gaming (when there isn't a pandemic) is precious and I need to focus on the systems I do play. 

All the stuff in Warhammer Quest sets so far has gotten website PDFs with rules and points costs to play them in AoS / 40k as appropriate.  A few individual models were eventually repackaged as generic kits (the Blackstone Fortress boss eventually saw release as a generic Chaos Space Marine lord).  Some other kits eventually found their way into codeces / battle tomes as new units with proper multipart kits to go with them (eg some of the tzeentch stuff), while some other stuff has been seemingly forgotten (the four legged spidery night goblins).  The traitor guard stuff hasn't seen a "proper release" yet, but there's so much of it that people are still expecting a traitor guard army in 40k eventually.

I do expect the new Warhammer Quest box is a preview of the theme and tone of the new Soulblight Gravelords, though it's still too early to say how many of the models will make it into a separate SGL release as is, how many will get re-worked into proper multipart kits, and how many will stay as quirky warhammer quest specific bits with semi-official AoS rules online but no proper unit release and no battle tome presence.

Even if they don't become actual units, and even if their 'official' AoS rules are bad, there's always counts as.  The grave digger, for instance, would make a great necromancer.  The big axe long coat zombie guy from the 2021 teaser video would make a fine zombie unit champ or even wight king, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

As much as I hated the cows I like the fox (don‘t glue the horns on and it actually looks like a fox) :)

The quiver however looks dumb.

It's not for me, I like elves, but as with a lot of Lumineth stuff it just seems really confused and over-accoutred to me, it stands in such stark contrast to the design philosophy we see with the vampires. I am conscious that this isn't the thread for complaining about Lumineth so I'll leave it there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Sception said:

Underworlds warbands get AoS rules, but only barely, only in a perfunctory manner.  They don't become proper units & characters in the battletomes.  Their AoS rules don't make it into the battletomes at all.  They're just a website thing, a bone tossed out to give people a reason to buy them even if they don't play underworlds, in the hopes that buying them will then make you want to play underworlds, so that you'll then buy all the underworld factions in order to have the cards you need to competitively play any of them (a gimmick that drove me out of the game altogether).

They do show up in battletomes though.

At the very least, Eyes are in my DoT book, and the SCE ones are in thier book.

4 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

They do show up in battletomes though.

At the very least, Eyes are in my DoT book, and the SCE ones are in thier book.

Other WHU warbands are in their respective books, too. I have StD and Skaven battletomes and I can confirm it.

Overall, the preview was interesting, although I was hoping for a reveal of the main Gravelords faction. Oh well. The WHU warband definitely looks cool, though - and I love that Gravedigger mini from WHQ...

(speaking of WHQ - I'm deeply frustrated by the fact that GW has not, as yet, used the Cultists models from BF to make a proper universal Cultists box for WH40K. I'd like to add Cultists to my CSM army and the regular ones are deeply inferior to what's in BF...)

BTW. I see they really are going with the classic armoured look for the vampires. Hm. I admit I am still not sure how did this look come to be? Vampires and armour aren't an obvious combination, really. I've always thought of them as ethereal or vermin-like beings. Vampires in full plate, fighting with heavy weapons... A bit strange, to be honest.

It wasn’t until 7th Ed that all vampires had armour; in 6th it was only Blood Dragons and all the others were much more comfortably dressed. They did explain in 7th that they were showing vampires tooled up for war and not at high society banquets. I guess this is just following on from that thought process. The 6th Ed vamps for the different bloodlines were pretty cool :)

It seems likely we will get expansions based around the districts of Ulfenkarn, with new heroes and enemies each time. I wouldn’t expect everything to be a part of Gravelords though, there might be some that are more closely linked to Nighthaunt or FEC as we have the Gheistgale and the Clot. 

It looks like we’re get a flying, lesser vampire unit and a big elite mace wielding unit for Soulblight going off the WHU warband. 

Edited by NotAWzrd

30 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Interesting, I had put down the big mace guy as a likely one-off. I was thinking lightly armoured duellists and winged vampires.

It could definitely be that way around too! I just figured the big guy fits the already revealed Vampire Lord aesthetic more than the one with two swords. 

19 minutes ago, NotAWzrd said:

It could definitely be that way around too! I just figured the big guy fits the already revealed Vampire Lord aesthetic more than the one with two swords. 

There could certainly be room for all three. Glass cannon, tanky and fast infantry are all pretty destinct niches. The big guy could also come mounted on some kind of creature in AoS proper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Syf said:

It wasn’t until 7th Ed that all vampires had armour; in 6th it was only Blood Dragons and all the others were much more comfortably dressed. They did explain in 7th that they were showing vampires tooled up for war and not at high society banquets. I guess this is just following on from that thought process. The 6th Ed vamps for the different bloodlines were pretty cool :)

Fantasy rules stated that a character couldn't cast spells if it wore armor, so since vampires were wizards it didnt make much sense for them to wear armor. When blood dragons were introduced in 5th edition, they were made the exception and could cast spells and wear heavy armor. 

And as you say the new vampire models for 7th edition (Vlad, Konrad and Mannfred) wore all heavy armor and all were allowed to cast spells.