Death & the Divine undead previews

Sception

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/01/23/warhammer-preview-online-the-dead-and-the-divine/

I gotta say, the new underworld vampire warband looks even better than I had hoped:

FB_IMG_1611426913004.jpg.dedd27e35f67c7f98ec31bf782b23e50.jpg

image.png.6f6c94bffca2e7b05c2171da4512eac9.png

image.png.50b15a249ba3ff7c9035b4b8c4ab62ba.png

image.png.57eb03558500a4fd7e6f6498e03e9838.png

image.png.cbc061828e5036ab759f5a2e628c01a8.png

Oooh, vampire hunting themed warhammer quest expansion.

Link:  https://ageofsigmar.com/cursed-city/

image.png.8751b3d7822fa4b23284e06060f8cc55.png

image.png.fdb04ef71c8b78bd04a3badceb2d9b9c.png

image.png.50a178ea883da27678e3ce95274cc8f0.png

Soulblight Gravelords... were not even previewed.  No mention of them, so we can look forward to another several months of speculation on whether they're going to be an all vampire faction or a re-christened Legions of Nagash.

That said, I somewhat suspect that the new Warhammer Quest game's line may be a staging ground for models and themes that we'll eventually see in the Gravelord faction.  That's pure speculation, though.  I've been similarly expecting the Blackstone Fortress range to metastasize into a proper chaos guard / renegades & heretics / lost and the damned faction in 40k for years, and it hasn't hapened yet.

In light of this preview, /several/ of the undeadish looking rumor engine pics are now confirmed to be part of this Warhammer Quest box, and several more are pretty much confirmed by the animated video.  Pretty much nothing is unaccounted for at this point, apart from the new vampire lord proper.

EDIT: found this image online showing how many of the recent undeaddish looking rumor engine pictures seem to tie into the new Warhammer Quest cursed city box, based on art from the trailer video & website:

FB_IMG_1611445860463.jpg.0b8b1bd428c82bcb08c90e2d4c3cb829.jpg

Edited by Sception
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

makes sense about what has been talked here before, that soulblight are not there in the narrative to fight in shyish against Teclis armies, but they rise as a consequence. 

So it makes sense that Soulblight Gravelords make their appearence after Broken Realms Teclis...

if the clampack image is real (we know the mini is) that really hints a Battletome release somewhere in the future

Edited by Gotz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Honk said:

where is the Vampire Bat-Hair day lady 🤔 will she be no.2 in ulfencain 

She (or he?  harder to tell from the higher res pic), may not be part of any of these releases.  The style's a bit different, and the leaked pic was clam pack art for a proper AoS character release.  If I had to guess, I'd guess we won't see that model until a proper AoS soulblight faction release, probably pretty late this year since they're not mentioned at all in this preview.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Sception said:

I'd be surprised if we didn't see them this year, but I'd also be surprised if they're out before Halloween.

I disagree - once a warband for Underworlds comes out - they usually come out with warscrolls around the same time. So they would have to fit under a specific army. I believe by March/April we will get some reveal for SGL which would fit the underworlds release .

I really love that grave keeper.  The headdress, ornaments impaled in his back, and robe skirt puts me in mind of a priest of a proper, Nagash-worshipping cult, and a bladed shovel as a weapon for a gravedigger is cool as heck.  I also like that it's not exactly clear if he's a zombie outright or just a horribly dessicated but still barely living human.  If that's an aesthetic that works its way into the servants of the gravelords in a hypothetical new faction release, I'll be pretty hype about it.

2 minutes ago, Lich King said:

I disagree - once a warband for Underworlds comes out - they usually come out with warscrolls around the same time. So they would have to fit under a specific army. I believe by March/April we will get some reveal for SGL which would fit the underworlds release .

Legions of Nagash is still a faction, at least until Soulblight Gravelords come out.  Easy enough for them to put out AoS rules for the warband, tag them Legions for now, and then just re-tag them gravelords whenever that faction is eventually released.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sception said:

Legions of Nagash is still a faction, at least until Soulblight Gravelords come out.  Easy enough for them to put out AoS rules for the warband, tag them Legions for now, and then just re-tag them gravelords whenever that faction is eventually released.

Do you think they’ll have time for all of that this year ? I think you and I are largely of the same mindset that it will essentially be Lon 2.0 - but they’re probably waiting for these releases to come out ( Underworlds and possibly Warhammer Quest) so they can fit these models all in the new tome along with majority of classics . This will all be compiled in same book similar to Mawtribes and Orruk Warclans- as you’ve mentioned before. 

What do you mean?  Are you suggesting we might not see a gravelords battle tome this year?  That's possible, I suppose.  The only reason we have a name for them is a leak, after all, and they weren't in this preview, so it's likely GW wasn't ready for us to even start thinking about them yet.

Slaanesh isn't out yet, Broken Realms Teclis isn't even out yet, and from the preview video will not be including Soulblight as the main force they're fighting against after all.  Major AoS and 40k releases tend to alternate.  Even if Gravelords is just LoN 2.0 with no new models apart from a single new character model, there's still no way it's going to be out by April when the underworlds warband lands.

Underworlds warbands get AoS rules, but only barely, only in a perfunctory manner.  They don't become proper units & characters in the battletomes.  Their AoS rules don't make it into the battletomes at all.  They're just a website thing, a bone tossed out to give people a reason to buy them even if they don't play underworlds, in the hopes that buying them will then make you want to play underworlds, so that you'll then buy all the underworld factions in order to have the cards you need to competitively play any of them (a gimmick that drove me out of the game altogether).

So Gravelords do not need to be out in time for either of these releases, and while these releases might indicate the direction conceptual design for the gravelords is going, there's no guarantee that any of the models in these kits are necessarily going to make it into the gravelords as new units or even new models for existing units.

So anyway, yeah, the lack of new gravelords in this preview makes me think they're proper faction / battle tome release is going to be later in the year *at the earliest*.  Not this year at all is entirely possible.

Edited by Sception

I am not going to be mad, they aren't responsible for Covid nor Brexit and this is just plastic toys. They never announced a Soulblight BT, they never announced a Darkoath BT either.

Currently, with the very slow production, with store not even able to get primer spray, and 40k codex super delayed. I don't expect to see the Warhammer Quest before mid-late Spring. At least it looks like we are going to have a new Kurnothi model in that game.

791765457_Capturedecran2021-01-23a16_57.21(2).png.b62cf5d46b326f7ff979e08030ebd6f2.png

• Like 1

I understand - the problem is that they’ve shown a Vampire Lord release with the bats in her her. She was not talked about in this preview at all. Soulblight Gravelords are coming out, that is for sure. So in other words - why would they show that model with the SGL pack name? Clearly they are ready to put that into our minds. It’s at the tip of everyone’s tongue and if you peered into the chat during the end - everyone was screaming Soulblight Gravelords.  

So yes the tome will 100% come this year but only after the underworlds and Warhammer quest comes out- because they are a model company and they want to drip - feed you all these products before compiling them into a tome . 

28 minutes ago, Lich King said:

So in other words - why would they show that model with the SGL pack name?

They *didn't*.  That was a leak.  They then put out an official preview pic of the model, since it was making the rounds online anyway, but pointedly the official preview didn't mention the 'soulblight gravelords' name or branding at all.

So yes, Soulblight are definitely coming, but with no official announcement of them, even after gw knows we already know about them, they're probably not going to be super soon.  Could be, but no particular reason to think they will be.

Edited by Sception

I would think Vampires mid-year at best. 

I think the "leak" was GW doing it themselves as a tease because its WAY too far off to be any other kind of leak really. However its a well placed one because it informally informs us that vampires as a faction are coming this year and are coming in the first place - since Underworld Warbands are never confirmations (Kurnothi, etc....). 

We also have to see what the two new tomes contain for DoK and Slaanesh. If they present new ideas and concepts then its a massive hint that 3.0 is coming and then potentially Vampires could be one half of the set. That said we don't know and they could just be beefy 2.5 battletomes. 

Personally I'd be happy if it was a Halloween release especially if that meant a deluge of new models. Plus it gives me plenty of time to save for all this hotness.

Even though I have plenty of vampires in various guises, I'm contemplating of retiring them all and using the underworlds ones. They're so nice and have enough oldwolrd with enough AoS, round bases here I come...

• Haha 1

Those models are very nice, especially the gravekeeper. I'll be picking up the warband in a heartbeat. Anyone with any xp of WHQ know if the models end up getting released generally? Reluctant to buy into a new game as my time for gaming (when there isn't a pandemic) is precious and I need to focus on the systems I do play.