Catacombs Boxed Set

Lhurgoyf

I'll skip this as well. I hope GW will relaease a Catacombs-only set in the future. I really liked Kill Team Arena and Warcry already has additional gameboards for different settings.

Wouldn't this expansion be much cooler if the included gameboards weren't the usual size but smaller tiles so you could build a modular dungeon? With pitfalls and traps and cursed tombs...

• LOVE IT! 1

18 minutes ago, Bayul said:

Wouldn't this expansion be much cooler if the included gameboards weren't the usual size but smaller tiles so you could build a modular dungeon? With pitfalls and traps and cursed tombs...

it's going to be interesting how they manage the campaing mode in the catacombs so that it doesn't overlap with Warhammer Quest.  Probably it won't look  like a dungeoncrawler. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gotz said:

it's going to be interesting how they manage the campaing mode in the catacombs so that it doesn't overlap with Warhammer Quest.  Probably it won't look  like a dungeoncrawler. 

Would that cater to the same crowd? I played silver tower and look forward to the next one.

but that’s because you play with a couple of friends against a system. Whereas Warcry could be 1vs1 but dungeon crawler style. 

1 hour ago, Overread said:

You'll be hounding ebay for them ;)

Or just waiting for the Catacombs to eventually break up into seperate releases.

I know that's my route for Flame Scions forces.

7 hours ago, Kramer said:

Would that cater to the same crowd? I played silver tower and look forward to the next one.

but that’s because you play with a couple of friends against a system. Whereas Warcry could be 1vs1 but dungeon crawler style. 

I feel that's an effective enough divide to feel fresh for both groups.

Hopefully the next Quest brings back & adds more solo options/system A.I as now the AoS RPG has the dungeon master focus covered which is what Shadows over Hammerhal heavily leaned into.

Edited by Baron Klatz

Noice.

The Shadow Well and Ember King Halls sound like the warbands starting places. Seed of Agony sounds like a good place for Sylvaneth to get involved with the narrative too.

Surprised only one DreadHold in a sub-realm teeming with them but maybe that's because it's the only one that extends that deep down to the subterranean levels?

Two other notes from Facebook. This won't be a limited release and the Set-up cards are in the catacombs tome.

Screenshot_20201021_051335_com.facebook.
"FYI, Setup cards are apparently in the Catacombs book - I saw this question asked and answered by GW team in Facebook. So while not separate, it sounds like they do have them."

I really like the map. Is it the first one that shows the underground of a realm?

I think it shows us how huge those realms are and how many lost and unimaginable places are scattered across the realms. Really want to read more about those palces and see more maps like this.

Do you think the lower edge is the other side of the realm?

I wish I could but between Warcaster and Reaper Bones KS (reaper ending its pledge manager) and the new DoK and Slaanesh boxed set in November I just can't get Catacombs. :( I think I'll be ending up waiting for either split kits for the DoK on ebay or GW putting them on individual sale. Then again FB comments suggest that GW is making Catacombs a longer term box so if it sticks around long enough I might get in on it. 

31 minutes ago, Groomy said:

Sadly I'm in the same boat. Durgin's KS is running this month and I've been eyeing the new LOTR book both of which make me feel warm and fuzzy inside so I'll just wait for your guys overwhelmingly positive reviews and be happy for ya'll :D

oh I wish I was already that supportive. But my salt will need to wash a way for a few more days i'm afraid 😂

But after that i'm there with you converting and painting stuff up before I probably finally succumb and buy it anyway.... probably around the time the next one is announced 

On 10/24/2020 at 9:18 PM, PiotrW said:

Hey guys, the box up for pre-order. And the price is 125 GBP, if you're interested :)

I told ya so! :) Let's go and buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuy... :)

(throws money at GW)

Oh cool so only double that again for my local currency exchange and then double that again because i'm in Australia haha

I'm going to be passing on this for now.

I always play Warcry at a friends house currently. Which as someone who has the original set, means that basically all my terrain is still in box (although I am looking to build and paint it sometime). Even if I didn't, what does it actually offer someone who already has the original set? Basically just dungeon terrain and 2 warbands and some rules which shouldn't realistically add up anywhere near to $350 AUD.

It's a shame, if this is supposed to be the current way to get into the game (which, there's just literally no other good way to get into it), it's been far overpriced. I'd have snagged it (regardless of having unbuilt original terrain!) if it was $100AUD cheaper, but it just leaves a bad taste knowing that there's less value in the set and yet it costs more than the original set.

I'm going to be waiting for set splits or the warbands to come out separately so I can grab the Scions of the Flame (I like the Shadowstalkers also, but they're one of those warbands that scares me to start painting them).

• Like 4

Me too. As curious as I can be in regards of the new rules, the box is too expensive to me. Especially considering the terrain included: half of the content is stuff I already own (sure, the more the merrier, but new stuff would be preferable) the other half is made of doors (not the greatest and useful only in Catacombs games) or scatter. Adding the fact that one of the many aspects I love in Warcry is that it's played in three dimensions (and you loose the vertical aspect in Catacombs), I really cannot justify the price. With the same money (or slightly less) I can get two warbands and one terrain set. Which is preferable, to me.

• Like 1

I'm still trying to convince myself on this set and warcry in general. So i'm playing a game on sunday with some of my own armies. As I understand Stormcast are a bit much I decided on DoK vs KO. Seems like a nice match up. But I'd be happy to change things around if people advice something else for a test game or two. 

Lists
KO: Gunnery Sergeant, Skywarden with pike, Thunderer with flamethrower, Thunderer with cannon, Arkanaut with Gatling Gun, Arkanaut with pike, 3 arkanauts. 
DoK: SoS champ, 2x SoS, 2 Khinerai, 5 witches with two knifes.

Again just aiming for a fun game. So if this is super skewed, I'd love to hear.