Catacombs Boxed Set

Lhurgoyf

Very happy to see a new starter box. Great that they have also given it a different setting too as it makes it worth while for people who already have the first box as well as new players looking to start the game.

Looking forward to seeing what the new rules are for fighting underground too. 

Steve

Yeah I’m not sure I’m interested in the warbands, they look cool but I already have several. Why can’t you buy opponents haha

That said I think I’ll try to split the box with other people. I at least want the new rules and wouldn’t mind finding a pretext to get some more terrain...

mostly I’m just glad they keep supporting the game, I hope they’ll keep it going a long time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moldek said:

Why can’t you buy opponents haha

GW's next initiative for sure.

For me I'm looking forward to finding out what the dungeon rules are. Would be cool if it makes units function differently/ gives new uses to some units that weren't as good in open field games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lhurgoyf said:

For me I'm looking forward to finding out what the dungeon rules are. Would be cool if it makes units function differently/ gives new uses to some units that weren't as good in open field games.

Yeah definitely. I wonder if they will introduce an alternative set of universal abilities to play in the catacombs. Stuff like pushing your enemy into lava, kicking a door open etc.

• Like 1

Looking at the box contents I would of liked to of seen some kind of dungeon critters sprue similar to the chaotic beast one from the original.

Always felt this game was a great opportunity to create some interesting chaos creatures that maybe did not fit into the main AOS game. Here’s hoping it is something they develop a little further.

Really hope they put together a few solo missions too, or maybe even a solo campaign.

Steve

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RedRowan said:

Really hope they put together a few solo missions too, or maybe even a solo campaign.

I hope so to.  I did email them at the start of lockdown to see if they could provide this, but no reply.  :( 

I hope they do the Catacombs scenery and board separately for people who got the original starter set.

46 minutes ago, RedRowan said:

I would definitively love to see something like the Silver Tower adventure book in this setting. This was really a great mechanisme in ST allowing interesting twist.

Take Warcry and his mechanics, add the WHQ dungeon style and some Silver Tower narrative events/mechanics in a single box would be instant buy for me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Fairbanks said:

You could still find them? I haven’t seen one on the store shelves in at least a year.

It varies region to region. Also remember that some highstreet stores don't sell online as much or push all their stock online. So its possible for the highstreet to have stock even when everywhere online has been sold out for ages. Esp if their local area doesn't buy into a specific side game in a big way. 

5 minutes ago, PiotrW said:

Out of curiosity: the main rulebook in that set is the same as the original one, right? The additional rules (I understand there will be some) are in the Catacombs booklet?

I have the same doubt.

It looks that its going to be exaclty the same book (I wonder if the spanish version, if there's one, is still going to have the spine errata ). If it wasn't it probably would have new artwork.

It would be nice if it was an updated version...

Actually, I'd prefer this to be the current version, because it'd mean I could sell it :) Or, if it turns out I can't afford the starter, just wait for the warbands to be released separately... One beef I have with WHU is that they keep updating the rules each season, so I need to keep buying the starters. 🤨

Although these Warcry rulebooks are my curse. First, I got myself just the rulebook to see what's the game like. I liked it and started looking for stuff to buy... and, eventually, I realized I might just buy the starter. So, I got a second rulebook... one which I managed to sell only last week. And now it seems I might want to get this new started - and I'll end up with yet another surplus rulebook. Agh!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PiotrW said:

Actually, I'd prefer this to be the current version, because it'd mean I could sell it :) Or, if it turns out I can't afford the starter, just wait for the warbands to be released separately... One beef I have with WHU is that they keep updating the rules each season, so I need to keep buying the starters. 🤨

I believe none of the Underworlds starter set warbands have been sold separately with cards (maybe the Shadespire ones when were updated for  Nightvault.

If they manage to keep the price of the Underworlds starters at bay, I think its fine one "mandatory"  box each year.

As for Warcry... I would prefer an updated core book, but as you say its fine that they keep the same rulebook. 

Looks that the catcombs gameplay is going to be substantially tweaked and being something different makes sense to be in a separate book. 

Do you think we're going to be stuck to current warbands or they'll implement the possibility to mix and match characters from the same GA?

If I recall correctly while they were going through the book at the preview they omited some unreleased warbands.

2 hours ago, Gotz said:

I believe none of the Underworlds starter set warbands have been sold separately with cards (maybe the Shadespire ones when were updated for  Nightvault.

If they manage to keep the price of the Underworlds starters at bay, I think its fine one "mandatory"  box each year.

As for Warcry... I would prefer an updated core book, but as you say its fine that they keep the same rulebook. 

Looks that the catcombs gameplay is going to be substantially tweaked and being something different makes sense to be in a separate book. 

Do you think we're going to be stuck to current warbands or they'll implement the possibility to mix and match characters from the same GA?

If I recall correctly while they were going through the book at the preview they omited some unreleased warbands.

Correct, starter warbands are not sold separately.

4 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Correct, starter warbands are not sold separately.

WHU warbands, true. But the Warcry warbands from the first started eventually got released separately.

6 hours ago, Gotz said:

I'm not sure if mixing and matching would be possible, considering the way Warcry is designed. The abilities cards are essential part of the game and they are all tailored towards specific warbands...

As for the unreleased warbands, I think that Catacombs complete the warbands mentioned specifically in the core rulebook. IIRC, they are eight Chaos warbands described in that book. The Golems and the Beasts were released at the start, soon followed by the Fangs, the Cyphers, the Corvuses and the Unmade. The Tyrants were released after a while and now, in Catacombs, we'll get the Flamers. Plus, we'll get the Shadow Aelves, which came completely out of the left field (not that I'm complaining).

I'm wondering whether GW plans to make more Warcry-specific warbands after Catacombs. New Chaos warbands? Or some Warcry-specific warbands for other factions?

I wouldn't mind that, as personally speaking, the current Warcry-specific warbands failed to grab my imagination. I like the Cypher Lords, but other 6 warbands don't really inspire me. Out of Catacombs, I like the Shadows, not sure I'm sold on the Scions... I could use some more options.

1 hour ago, Onslaught said:

A bit of a backlash on  Reddit about a possible price leak: "$210 USD confirmed by some pals in the gaming store industry."

If that price turns out to be true, I'll prolly pass.

Hmmm. Today, I've seen someone mention online that the GW price for Poland is going to be 650 PLN... which would be around 130 GBP. Not sure if that translates into 210 USD? 210 USD would be around 740 PLN... I certainly hope it'll be 650 PLN or less in here in Poland. Not sure I can afford 700+ PLN for a starter... especially as the new WHU starter will be hitting the shops soon, too.