Guessing/Wishcasting New Dual Boxes

Given the imminent launch of Aether War I thought it might be fun to theorize about what the next dual army box might be.  To recap, since August 2017 there have been six of these limited run boxes for the AOS side:

Blightwar = Stormcast + Nurgle Daemons

Wrath and Rapture = Slanesh Daemons + Khorne Daemons

Looncurse = Moonclan Grots + Sylvaneth

Carrion Empire = Skaven + Flesh Eater Courts

Feast of Bones = Ogor Mawtribes + Ossiarch Bonereapers

Aether War = Kharadron Overlords + Tzeentch Daemons/Mortals

It stands to reason we'll see a couple more in the next calendar year. The following are the factions that have not yet received the dual box treatment:

Order: Fyreslayers, Cities of Sigmar, Idoneth Deepkin, Daughters of Khaine, Seraphon

Chaos: Beasts of Chaos, Slaves to Darkness

Destruction: Orruk Warclans

Death: Nighthaunt (currently part of the starter box), Legions of Nagash

My guesses:

Fyreslayers vs. Orruks: Both armies from the early days of AoS that could stand a new toy to revive interest.

Pointy Elves vs. Beasts of Chaos: GW used a dual box to launch the Ossiarch Bonereapers and to tease Wave 2 of the Genestealer Cult on the 40K side. I'd guess they'll do the same for this new army? Thinking BoC because they're aesthetically distinct and none of the other faction make much sense, but could easily be Orruks.

What do you all think?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

Orruks vs Stormcast/Devoted when they fire up the Gordrakk vs Excelcis/Azyr arc.

Pointy Elves vs Slaanesh makes the most sense thematically. Be nice to see Slaanesh get some mortals/beasts in the Acolyte/Tzaangor type of units.

A Tzaangor type unit that could cross over into 40K would make a lot of sense given the hints about Fulgrim and the expectation of Noise Marines at some point!

City of sigmar got 3 dual boxes with firestorm,if we can call dual box to stormcasts.

I think it is time that fyreslayers get any love,they didnt get any new unit since its launch neither dual box or battleforce.

I have as 1k points of slayers waiting for those boxes to get it to 2k.

Also new high elfs box would be amazing!

I am not sure if GW is going through the different combinations between the grand alliances first but the two remaining would be Chaos vs Destruction and Order vs Death (unless you count the soul wars starter set)

My guess would be Bonesplitterz vs BoC and Seraphon vs something death or chaos

AoS 3.0 starter set hopefully would be Ironjawz vs Stormcast

Edited by novakai

There was a nice pattern of all four factions getting half a box's worth of release. The first three boxes were nice because with a Start Collecting set you then had a pretty sizable chunk of army to own and play with (besides Gloomspite which didn't have one, and OBR, which doesn't, but is a good start on its own). 

Aether War is a weird set. KO entirely overlaps it's SC and has no Arkanauts as True Battleline, or behemoths to fill a collection itch. The Tzeentch side with SC has a good fill of units, but the side in Aether War feels like it's missing a true Battleline as well. Tzaangors or Kairic Acolytes instead of Screamers would fill the set's hole nicely, but neither fit the "Sky War" narrative of the set. Maybe in conjunction with Arkanauts instead of the second set of Balloon Boys? Maybe I'm making hay over nothing.

I have though we would get a soft edition reboot for Summer;  So we get New Stormcast (whatever new chamber gets opened) vs a New Destruction faction.

That would probably mean a Chaos vs Death set in the Fall, or a gap filler for Spring. If it was a gap filler, I'd say OBR vs Slaves with the teased book coming out, but we just had OBR, and Slaves just got a SC with new stuff.

I will say my local store manager said that two player box sets were something they wanted to emphasize this year. He doesn't strike me as someone who has any sort of inside track, but if he was really getting this from GW management, I like the prospect. I almost entirely buy these boxes these days.

The 2 Player Campaign Boxes try to tell a story and have either a new future release or are released at the same time as the Battletome and the first way to get new re-released Minis.

• Blight War. Slimux tries to corrupt a realmgate near Excelsis (Introduction of Slimux and Neave Blacktalon, the Future Release of Maggotkin of Nurgle )
  • Wrath and Rapture = new Slanesh + Khorne Daemons. New Battletomes for both Factions months later. The story how the daemonweapon Eignogrom was stolen from a Infernal Enrapturess and Karanak tried to get it back
  • Looncurse new future Sylvaneth Release and more Story about  Ayadah in Chamon
  • Carrion Empire , released at the same time as the actual Flesh Eater Courts und Skaven Battletomes + Story about the region Metalurgica in the Kairic Heartlands of Chamon
  • Feast of Bones  new Ossiarch Bonereaper Release + new Battletome for Ogor Mawtribes. + Background for Hallost between the two Factions.
  • Aether War = new Battletomes for Kharadron Overlords + Tzeentch (because I don't have the box yet I have no idea in which region they fight.

So in that case Seraphon, Maggotkin, Legions of Nagash, Daughters of Khaine and Idoneth Deepkin would be candicates to be one of the Factions because there Battletomes were released before 2nd Edition. And it would be conected to a story in the box to flesh out some Background.

Edit:

Chaos vs Death we will basicly get with the Campaign Book "Wrath of the Everchosen"

Edited by EMMachine
  • Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 8:03 PM, wargames101 said:

Given the imminent launch of Aether War I thought it might be fun to theorize about what the next dual army box might be.  T

I have no guess at the moment, but wanted to highlight, and thank you for, the correct spelling of "dual" in reference to these boxes.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I have no guess at the moment, but wanted to highlight, and thank you for, the correct spelling of "dual" in reference to these boxes.

Thank you.

LOL. I was similarly bothered by "Duel" spelling at first, but softened up eventually as it's *technically* correct, they are dueling after all, and it is clever homophonically, even if only by accident!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wargames101 said:

LOL. I was similarly bothered by "Duel" spelling at first, but softened up eventually as it's *technically* correct, they are dueling after all, and it is clever homophonically, even if only by accident!

I feel similarly and for the same reasons, but still ... grumblegrumble.

On topic, how about Nagash vs. Settra for an instant 5x sale to me? :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I feel similarly and for the same reasons, but still ... grumblegrumble.

On topic, how about Nagash vs. Settra for an instant 5x sale to me? :)

Except Settra is most likely a Stormcast Eternal named Settrus, and we would need at least one special Stormcast Modell + one Deathmodel + a near release of either a Stormcast Eternals Battletome or Legions of Nagash Battletome.

One other theme could be an introduction of the "pointy aelfs" with a Story in Hysh (the same way the Bonereapers where introduced).

Which could actually fit after the trailer said Spring 2020

Edited by EMMachine

DoK would be great though from a lore perspective I see DoK vs Soulblight as Malign Portents set up Morathi to crave revenge on Nagash and with his Bonereaper commander at the Varanspire it leaves a hole in Shyish's defenses some new gorgons can slither through. Opposing them could be new vampire knights whose teleporting castle caught them off-guard or deadwalkers raised as a desperate conscription force by the flesh garden queen(zombie hero) we saw in the Soul Wars novel.

Otherwise i'm for Fyreslayers vs Bonesplitterz with more focus on the realm of chamon campaign where Kharadrons called in an Aqshy merc brigade of new fiery beasts to melt down the metal fortifications of their enemies but Bonesplitterz riding metal-eating salamanders("Red Hour" novel) and armed with metal stakes and clubs fight them to turn their beasts into forges to make idols to their Chamon Gorkamorka aspect.

I posted this elsewhere but I'd like Nurgle vs Idoneth. Blightwar is so long ago now I don't think it matters, plus it would be nurgle mortals. The story would be Briomdar vs Maggotkin in the realm of life. 

Idoneth contents 

1 isharann embailor (new sculpt) 

2 x allopex 

10 thralls 

Nurgle contents 

1 plague gargant (new sculpt) 

5 blight kings

2 drone riders

Both armies get new endless spells and battletomes to release along side. 

That said I personally hope we move away from year+ long exclusivity windows. Some armies you basically can't start now without putting aside £40 to buy a unique sculpt. 

Destruction vs Destruction

Meatfist vs Boulderhead

On the Gutbusters side:

- A new Overtyrant model, Globb Glittermaw

- 8 Ironguts 

On the Beastclaw Raiders side:

- 1 Stonehorn with a Braggoth Varduk upgrade sprue

- 4 Mournfang Cavalry

Edited by Walrustaco
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Huh, subfaction vs subfaction. That's actually clever. It further expands the lore on the smaller elements of the factions and gives some nice starting small forces to two players or combine them for a large army.

I add that to my want list! :D

Additionally on the lore end they could go Thunderbellies for the Beastclaw side.  Fits with the Chamon focus and Ogor nomads tribes living on floating lightning islands that use alchemy is just too awesome.

7 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

One thing to keep in mind is that so far (except for Blightwar) each battlebox has been accompanied by a new Battletome for both armies

Next box set is obviously Stormcast vs Stormcast then. :D

I kid, I could see Seraphon vs Nurgle though. They both really need updated books.

(Even though I secretly hope its Stormcast vs Legion of Grief and the LoG book rolls all the Nighthaunt stuff into it so its a real thought out faction)

1 hour ago, Joseph Mackay said:

One thing to keep in mind is that so far (except for Blightwar) each battlebox has been accompanied by a new Battletome for both armies

There is another exception. Gloomspite Gitz got their Battletome in January 2019 while Looncurse was Release in May 2019. So one army could have the Battletome Release before the Box.

So a future Released Battletome vs. Slaves to Darkness wouldn't be impossible.

Edited by EMMachine

3 hours ago, EMMachine said:

There is another exception. Gloomspite Gitz got their Battletome in January 2019 while Looncurse was Release in May 2019. So one army could have the Battletome Release before the Box.

So a future Released Battletome vs. Slaves to Darkness wouldn't be impossible.

That was due to the Sylvaneth delay though. They confirmed in twitch streams that they worked on Looncurse at the same time as Gloomspite battletome