Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

36 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I'm not a fan of the Battle for the skull pass thunderers. Anyone know if quarrellers and thunderes had another double kit or something?

yes,battle for the skull pass thunderers and warriors were diferent to the regular late 6th edition kit.

the skull pass models were only one piece while the regulars have 3/4 piece each model

-warriors of skull pass were only one hand and shield while the regular kit was warriors with one hand and shield or two handed axes

-the skull pass only had thuderers in one bit with zero upgrades. while the box of late 6th had the option to build with crossbows or guns(quarrelers or thuderers) also a extra axe to build them as rangers

Edited by Doko

3 hours ago, Sception said:

Yes, though they do have one magic item, the flayed hauberk, which is heavy armor that a wizard can still wear.

Spells or armor is a pretty tough decision for vampire lords.  Lots of power and utility in magic, but lack of armor makes you pretty vulnerable.  Then again, if you're not a wizard you can't be the general, which lets you take a big expensive killy vampire lord, maybe on a monster, and throw him into combat secure in the knowledge that your load bearing general is a hero wizard safely burried in a second line infantry block.

i was thinking get the vampire on dragon,not mage because in tow is lvl 4 or nothing(there numbers showing this).

but in those pdf the vampires are almost as goblins heroes of 40 points but for 160 lol

vampires in tow are a shadow of how they were.

i think i wont use any vampire in my competitive vc plays

Edited by Doko

1 hour ago, Sception said:

"the worst offense for every lizardmen player im sure, after decades of having our god frog going into battle being carried and huged by his temple guard he cant do it now!!! and must go alone to battle."

What prevents him from joining the unit?  did I miss something?

I *did* miss something.  Flying units can't join non-flying units, and Slaan are Fly 8.  Obnoxious.  Personally would have not given them flying - even if their chairs can float, I never pictured them zooming around at high speeds.

So yeah, I definitely share this complaint.  I don't think it makes them bad or unworkable, they're still going to float around behind their units casting spells, and the temple guard are written to protect slann that are merely nearby, but yeah, from an aesthetic and narrative perspective this new way of running them doesn't feel right.  Definitely something I'd take the opportunity to rewrite if I were working on a homebrew Lizardmen Arcane Journal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

But at least this helps me personally, by making the list of choices smaller. So TGA, as a chorf lover wanting to start a new army, should I get Dwarfs (for the Dwarf aspect of Chorfs) or Chaos (for the chaos aspect of Chorfs)?

Go Dwarves all day long. Any fool can be chaos, but only Dwarves can be Dwarves!

Edited by EntMan
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Pure speculation from me but does anyone think we will see Norsca and Southern realms as factions in the future? I read through the core rulebook and noticed that they have their own lore sections which seemed odd especially since none of the legacy factions have one. Cathay and Kislev both also have one but they are hopefully already in development (hopefully still) considering the articles about them way back.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ZarFranz said:

Pure speculation from me but does anyone think we will see Norsca and Southern realms as factions in the future? I read through the core rulebook and noticed that they have their own lore sections which seemed odd especially since none of the legacy factions have one. Cathay and Kislev both also have one but they are hopefully already in development (hopefully still) considering the articles about them way back.

Yes I'd say so, Norsca had an army list at one point, I'd love to see them back. They had shape changers and beserkers in their list, pretty cool!

Hoping for Norse Dwarfs too as they are prominent on the map!

9 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Am I missing something. Witch elves have the murderous rule but can't use it as they have 2 hand weapons and murderous can only be used with one hand weapon. 

"great love and effort put to those pdf"

• Haha 7

13 minutes ago, Doko said:

"great love and effort put to those pdf"

It's a pretty big oversight especially as they put it on WarCom but overall these pdfs are great. Dark elves were my first wargaming love and this has really reignited my passion for them. 

Now to decide a colour scheme! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kugane said:

We need TOW subforums for each faction! 😂

I don't know about that.  IME faction discussion tends to collect in individual threads, and you don't need over a dozen subforums with only one really active thread each.  Maybe a subforum each for forces of fantasy, ravening hordes, and legacy armies?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sception said:

I don't know about that.  IME faction discussion tends to collect in individual threads, and you don't need over a dozen subforums with only one really active thread each.  Maybe a subforum each for forces of fantasy, ravening hordes, and legacy armies?

Let's double down on the arbitrary categorisation and let's have one GOOD and one EVIL forum!

I overall love the pdf armies. I‘ve been playing around with Dark Elves and Vampire lists - while those are solid overall I see some oddities:

Vamps:

- Can’t cast with armour

- No plate armour option

- Max lv 2 caster Vamps

- Blood Knights lost 1 Strength, which is weird

- The magic items are very expensive for okay effects

- The Vampiric Abilities might be fun but a little lackluster 

- The Carstein Ring should not exist at this point in time.

- Not odd, just sad: I can’t play 15 Blood Knights (I know, balancing reasons) :)

Dark Elves:

- Murderous is odd: Assassins with 2 weapons and witch elves can’t use it

And more that currently slipped my mind

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2

I think the pdf's are great! And I am happy with it.

But JackStreicher is right, although I think the Vampire oddities are on purpose and I assume the plan was to give through Arcane Journals more options, maybe armylists based on bloodlines, Which would open the door to lvl 4 Vampire casters. Which imo would explain the oddities. 

The Dark Elves Murderous special rules is 100% an oversight and should be fixed with a FAQ, but easly to houserule and I think that tournaments that allow legacy armies will fix this.

14 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I overall love the pdf armies. I‘ve been playing around with Dark Elves and Vampire lists - while those are solid overall I see some oddities:

Vamps:

- Can’t cast with armour

- No plate armour option

- Max lv 2 caster Vamps

- Blood Knights lost 1 Strength, which is weird

- The magic items are very expensive for okay effects

- The Vampiric Abilities might be fun but a little lackluster 

Dark Elves:

- Murderous is odd: Assassins with 2 weapons and witch elves can’t use it

And more that currently slipped my mind

Edited by Tonhel

Just now, Garrac said:

Btw, it's sad to not be able to soup the 4 Clans on a same list. It was never the most competitive option, but It was fun...

What do you mean not able to soup the four clans?

have I read something wrong?

i actually thought the only restrictions are that some units can only be taken if you have that specific hero in the skaven roster

9 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

What do you mean not able to soup the four clans?

have I read something wrong?

i actually thought the only restrictions are that some units can only be taken if you have that specific hero in the skaven roster

Reading the PDF, what I understood was that you're límited to one Great Clans character per 1000 points? 

Edited by Garrac

12 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

The Dark Elves Murderous special rules is 100% an oversight and should be fixed with a FAQ, but easly to houserule and I think that tournaments that allow legacy armies will fix this.

GW copy&pasted Gromril and Ensorcelled weapons rules to Murderous, without remembering that this abilities doesn't affect two hand weapons /facepalm

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sception said:

I *did* miss something.  Flying units can't join non-flying units, and Slaan are Fly 8.  Obnoxious.  Personally would have not given them flying - even if their chairs can float, I never pictured them zooming around at high speeds.

So yeah, I definitely share this complaint.  I don't think it makes them bad or unworkable, they're still going to float around behind their units casting spells, and the temple guard are written to protect slann that are merely nearby, but yeah, from an aesthetic and narrative perspective this new way of running them doesn't feel right.  Definitely something I'd take the opportunity to rewrite if I were working on a homebrew Lizardmen Arcane Journal.

I found the Slann always much more survivable in 6/7th when he was not in an unit...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Ah yeah now I see what you mean.

the grey seer or Skaven warlord are quit restricted.

I am surprised there is no way to bypass the restriction. A bit of an odd choice.

18 minutes ago, Kugane said:

I am surprised there is no way to bypass the restriction. A bit of an odd choice.

Well I I’m guessing that they don’t want a 3 tower scenario back.

Which was apparently also a thing way back.

personally it still opens the door to having 2 grey seers or 1 of each in a 2k game, and personally that’s good enough for me.

grey seers are after all agents send by the council of thirteen to lead or support and army, and it is really seldom in lore that you see more then one grey seer in a skaven army

What I’m personally not too much of a fan though is the removal of the mounts for our Warlords and chieftains.

personally I would have loved seeing them being added back in.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well I I’m guessing that they don’t want a 3 tower scenario back.

Which was apparently also a thing way back.

personally it still opens the door to having 2 grey seers or 1 of each in a 2k game, and personally that’s good enough for me.

grey seers are after all agents send by the council of thirteen to lead or support and army, and it is really seldom in lore that you see more then one grey seer in a skaven army

What I’m personally not too much of a fan though is the removal of the mounts for our Warlords and chieftains.

personally I would have loved seeing them being added back in.

I was hoping to finally have a home for the warlord on brood horror, guess it’ll stay in AOS! 😂

And indeed, I think 1 of each is plenty. Quite thematic too.

• Like 1

Alltho, the rule is worded in such a weird way It could also imply a limit of 0-1 of each Great Clan character category. Wording is strange or Im dumber than I thought.

Also, can a warlord join a unit with warpgrinder? The rulebook hasnt been fully translated by humans yet so I still dont have clear if a character whitout the certain keyword can joind a unit.

Alltho, you can still have a pair of Assassins on big stormvermin units with warp grinders and gutter Runners attached to spawn a literal mini-army behind the enemy, lol.