Warhammer - The Old World

8 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Hum... if things are moving so fast maybe the rumour about Orcs and Goblins vs Dwarfs content being seen at the end of the month could be true.

I donโ€™t think that will happen. Later this year but not that soon.

Would be great if it did but they still need to drop the full Tomb King and Bretonnian ranges which will probably be in first three months of this year. Plus they may have another book to cover a campaign specifically between Tomb Kings and Bretonnians

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Just buy a square trays with the right sizes and magnetise the minis, its what im doing

It is a good option indeed, but I prefer when the whole block can be based and looks fancy, like the ones from A Song of Ice and Fire:ย 

image.png.12e13ec12579c254a2ae30a50050c8ba.png

Before releasing TOW I got my eye over the ones purely for AoS from this site:

Resultados de la bรบsqueda "Bandejas de movimiento imantadas" - ImpriWars

But something like the ones from the pic would be ideal for me. Magnetized and with that look.

• Like 2

ย 

ย 

I can see GW wanting to pump out as much ToW content as possible in the first 6 months of 2024, before AoS 4 drops in the summer. I would be really surprised if the plan is to have comparable faction launches to Tomb Kings and Bretonnia for the remaining 7 Core Factions spread out over the next several years (and not several months)ย 

Edited by Hollow

33 minutes ago, Hollow said:

ย 

ย 

I can see GW wanting to pump out as much ToW content as possible in the first 6 months of 2024, before AoS 4 drops in the summer. I would be really surprised if the plan is to have comparable faction launches to Tomb Kings and Bretonnia for the remaining 7 Core Factions spread out over the next several years (and not several months)ย 

I can definitely see them wanting to release at least one more versus pairing pre-AoS 4 to keep momentum going. There's a real rush people lose interest if nothing gets released for a long time. After all, at the moment if you don't want to play Bretonnian, Khemri or Chaos (Warriors or Beastmen) your kinda out of luck.

3 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

I can definitely see them wanting to release at least one more versus pairing pre-AoS 4 to keep momentum going. There's a real rush people lose interest if nothing gets released for a long time. After all, at the moment if you don't want to play Bretonnian, Khemri or Chaos (Warriors or Beastmen) your kinda out of luck.

Although ironically you do have access to lots of newly updated and currently available models for all of the Legacy factions (apart from Chaos Dwarfs)ย As well as older model ranges for the Skaven, Dark Elves and Beastmen. The only factions that are hard to get right now are the actual Core factions.ย ๐Ÿ˜†

Edited by Hollow
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Although ironically you do have access to lots of newly updated and currently available models for all of the Legacy factions (apart from Chaos Dwarfs)ย As well as older model ranges for the Skaven, Dark Elves and Beastmen. The only factions that are hard to get right now are the actual Core factions.ย ๐Ÿ˜†

Yep. Seems like a really dumb decision motivated by internal management politics. GW as a company could sell a lot more if they didn't make these factions legacy, but the heads of AoS and/or TOW don't want to "lose" sales internally to each other.

It's honestly a bit surprising they Chaos Warriors as a faction, but I guess that really would be quite a stretch to exclude from a Warhammer game.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

It is a good option indeed, but I prefer when the whole block can be based and looks fancy, like the ones from A Song of Ice and Fire:ย 

image.png.12e13ec12579c254a2ae30a50050c8ba.png

Before releasing TOW I got my eye over the ones purely for AoS from this site:

Resultados de la bรบsqueda "Bandejas de movimiento imantadas" - ImpriWars

But something like the ones from the pic would be ideal for me. Magnetized and with that look.

If youre searching for round to square movement trays, my option is goign to be greenstuffworld ones

bandejas-de-movimiento-dm-25-x-25mm.jpg.cdf40075c06bdc2b119be6f5b24486c3.jpg

Theyre not magnetised, but you can buy magnetic sheets to fit them on the spots, as usual

Alltho, first Ill wait for the pdfs, but being totally aware that they will lack a lot of flavour (specific lores, spetial characters, magic objects...)

• LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Garrac said:

If youre searching for round to square movement trays, my option is goign to be greenstuffworld ones

Theyre not magnetised, but you can buy magnetic sheets to fit them on the spots, as usual

Alltho, first Ill wait for the pdfs, but being totally aware that they will lack a lot of flavour (specific lores, spetial characters, magic objects...)

Yeah. I saw them, it is me being picky. I don't want the wooden onesย ๐Ÿ˜…

8 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Thisโ€™ll do just perfect for my army๐Ÿ˜, thanks

20 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Thisโ€™ll do just perfect for my army๐Ÿ˜, thanks

check the tray sizes, because the footprint of the tray is going to be quite bigger than it should

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Magnusaur said:

I was just mulling over this as well. The way I read this article is that we will indeed see more - presumably old stuff? - released for Tomb Kings in the future:ย 

image.png.3c93d786af268a24958cfe844eb5c81d.png

I'm not sure if "much more" implies new stuff as well. Would love to know...

Hope so. I imagine that "new stuff" may not be completely new miniatures at this point given that we have the Ravening Hordes and Arcane Journal which don't mention anything. Maybe if there are some new things it could be in the form of some new sculpts for old stuff.

38 minutes ago, Gotz said:

check the tray sizes, because the footprint of the tray is going to be quite bigger than it should

yeah that's the problem of using trays for 25mm rounds (the situation I am in): basically you have no "spare" space and your rounds must touch the sides of the trays if you want to stay in the correct measurments. However, I have no prior experience with WHFB so I don't know if some amount of flexibility was allowed for trays, since I see a lot of trays with rauised borders

1 hour ago, Gotz said:

Yes, I used as an example a tray meant for hostigators.

Greenstuffworld also has more flexible trays adjusted to the 5x5 125x125mm size (which I think is the most perfect for regular units, since they can have characters attached)

• Like 1

I feel that six wide (or even wider) could be a common size for many units as you only get 2 rank bonuses and attacking seems to be a lot more beneficial due to generally lower armour saves and static combat resolution. Then again, going too wide won't be good either as the units are so hard to manouver without pivot.

10 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Hum... if things are moving so fast maybe the rumour about Orcs and Goblins vs Dwarfs content being seen at the end of the month could be true.

I guess they could start the hype for the next factions even if they're two months ahead.

ย 

I wonder what the armies of infamy would be for those factions.

For dwarves my bet/wishlist would be Norse Dwarfs and Karak Kadrin.

For greenskins is more tricky.... I'd normally say savage orcs and night goblins, but those are AoS armies, snd after all this talk about GW wanting to keep a division between the ranges...maybe black orcs and some other flavour of goblins? And yes, I now all those have units in AoS too, but it isn't the same situation, those aren't the face in their respective factions.

ย 

ย 

ย 

• LOVE IT! 1

On the subject of re-basing and movement trays.

25mm is fine as a 25mm round will fit in a 25 by 25 square.

However, unfortunately a 32mm round won't fit in a 30mm square. And a 30mm square won't fit in a 32mm round. So doesn't work either way round.

Unless we're really lucky and actually a citadel 32mm round is actually 30mm.

4 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

Did GW confirm the Epic expansion for January? I thought they just announced it was coming(tm).

"The Great Slaughter will be available to pre-order later this month, so keep an eye out for more information here on Warhammer Community."

Of course, they also said Legions Imperialis would be available to pre-order in August, so maybe the WarCom intern is jinxing it on purpose.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, EntMan said:

However, unfortunately a 32mm round won't fit in a 30mm square. And a 30mm square won't fit in a 32mm round. So doesn't work either way round.

~10 mm difference in total unit width is not that different than having lipped movement trays with the right sized square bases. That has never been considered an issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Honestly I expect groups to adapt the base sizes, specially those that want to use AoS models they already have. Just to give a example, I was looking at the base size to use my Seraphon and for near all units the AoS base sizes are bigger than the ones given in the facebook by 10mm or more. Checking other factions it seems that the only models that don't have this kind of problem are the ones that already are in 25mm bases in AoS.

ย 

ย 

Edit: Added Lance Formation 6 Models

Edit: Updated with 75mm oval: Single and 2 by 3. Updated 50mm round to square in a row of 3

EDIT: Updated the 30x25mm, added a lot more single converters.

I might open a serperate thread for this.

Some of the adapter trays I've made so far.

fiveย  60x35mm to rectangular.
two by 4 60x35mm to rectangular
twenty 25mm to square
thirty 25mm to square

Feel free to share, as long as you give me credit :D

ย 

Convertability:
you can simple scale the 25mm round trays up to make them fit 32mm, 40mm, 50mm etc. bases with no issue.

Example using the 20x25mm tray:
currently its width is 12.5cm, its height is 100mm.
Scaling up to 32mm means to set the width to 32mmx5 (16cm) and the height to (4x32mm) 12.8cm

The same does not apply to the cavalry bases since GW's oval bases get weird past the size of 60x35mm, it's some custom oval shape.

BUT it looks so big!
Only the cutouts are slightly bigger than the base's footprint and beveled so you can put in your models without any hassle

ย 

images
ย 

Spoiler

image.png.a50c32302e24f08270b996dfc4747ec5.pngimage.png.96311a9d2574b126164a76c3f4507c0c.png

ย 

ย 

Concerning sizes

Spoiler

TOW Cav bases are 60x30mm. Since it can't be converted I used 60c35mm. WORRY NOT!
If people use the GW trays the unit's footprint will almost exactly be the same size as the original since the GW Trays have a roughly 5mm overhangs on each side.

Five_Cabalry_60x35.stl Twenty_25mm.stl Eight_Cabalry_60x35.stl

RoundToSquare_25mm.stl

25mm to 30mm.stl 60mm Cav to 60x35 square.stl 60mm Cav to 60x30 square with overhang.stl 32mm to 30 mm with overhang.stl

30x25mm.stl

75 oval single.stl 75mm oval to rectangular.stl six 75mm oval two rows.stl three 50mm.stl

Six Lance Formation 60x35mm.stl

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 15

16 hours ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

Would make sense that if the next "edition" or cycle is going to focus on onset of the Great War Against Chaos, that daemons start to feature more heavily, and it potentially also makes sense for a Dark Elf comeback at that point to invade Ulthuan and give Young Teclis somebody to throw down against at Finuval Plain. Give me Urien Poisonblade, give me that legendary jobber to the stars Korhien Ironglaive, give me my man Fearghal of the Iron Spear. If by that time Malerion actually has some AOS models that are to Dark Elves what Lumineth are to High Elves then the range crossover stuff goes out of the window.

Not saying that will actually happen, but somebody on the WHFB discord (that's obviously gone into overdrive this week) did say that they know a playtester and that Kislev and Cathay rules are written (we already knew from Total Warhammer 3 marketing that they'd had quasi-8th ed rules written for them by GW) and that the miniatures are designed but not in production, and that if the game succeeds enough they'll beย  a major focus of the second edition. I have no idea if that has any credibility at all, but I presume if there was a wave 2 not every "legacy army" would remain completely off the table while Kislev/Cathay/Norsca got brand new ranges.

There's a lot of picking through the aggregated bones of every Youtube review of the army books going on right now;ย  I'm seeing a lot of general enthusiasm for the game, though with a general emerging feeling that infantry is a bit gash this edition and that Warriors of Chaos have been hit with the nerf bat (in a 6th kinda ed way? idk 6th ed) and in a lot of places have some fairly arbitrary-seeming missing rules like plate armour and counter-charge that equivalent units from other factions have (Black Orcs and Phoenix Guard are more heavily armoured than Chaos Warriors). The wait for a Chaos Warrior army where it's fun to take lots of actual Chaos Warriors mayย  still be ongoing

I feel that infantry should be much better than it was earlier as all units are sort of semi-stubborn (you only properly break if you roll over your unmodified Ld), that means that the cavalry units usually can't get through an unit in a single round and remain stuck in the battle line to be counter charged to the flank. Also the saves are lower, but also the ap, so in most cases you still get at least some save. In some cases the charged unit can also strike first. This shoud mean that the combats can be much less predictable (= charging is more risky). I have played Swordpoint, which is a historical game based on Warhammer historicals, which has quite similar mechanic for breaking, and you really need to be careful where you charge and also sometimes winning combats can bea bad thing as well if your unit gets dragged out from the battleline when it floows up a retreating unit.

ย 

Regards of Kislev. One of the first thing they teased for the game few years ago, was concept sketches for the new Kislev units, so it's pretty sure they will come at some point. I would expect the same release strategy to Middle earth (and Horus Heresy) that they publish campaign books that have additional scenarios, armies of infamy, new armies and units. Logical ones would be expansion for the north (Kislev, demons, norse dwarfs, etc.), expansion to east (Ogres, Chaos dwarfs, Cathay). expansion to west (Lizardmen, dark elves, amazons) and "Enemies within" type of expansion with skaven, demonologists and vampires.

1 hour ago, Jamopower said:

~10 mm difference in total unit width is not that different than having lipped movement trays with the right sized square bases. That has never been considered an issue.

since unit fillers are an official thing, you could also do (let's say for a rank of 5) 4 32mm bases and a unit filler on a 20mm

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Marcvs said:

since unit fillers are an official thing, you could also do (let's say for a rank of 5) 4 32mm bases and a unit filler on a 20mm

I have also made earlier movement trays that have some models mounted directly on them to convert round models to square based games. Bit of a headache to transport, but looks nice (at least in the beginning of the game). No reforming though, which might be a quite big issue in this game.

• Like 2