Warhammer - The Old World

45 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Do you want to know something funny? Aย wwoman from my country tried to register the Sun (not the magazine lol) a few years ago

/facepalm

ย 

Not only she tried. She did and sold lands over there.

1 hour ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

Malekith is not from Norse mythology

Just want to highlight this, because it's a pretty common misconception. (That Malekith is from Norse mythology.)

As stated: he's not.

Arguably it's a fairly generic sounding name ("~bad ~relation"), though Marvel's Malekith being a King of Dark Elves probably made GW a little worried about being sued over the name of their Malekith, a King of Dark Elves.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

+++ MOD HAT +++

Appreciate feelings are running quite high on supply issues and what armies are being supported initially.ย  Please bear in mind that TGA isn't the place to rant and rage about things like this.

Have you had to remove posts?ย 

1 hour ago, LordSolarMach said:

Just want to highlight this, because it's a pretty common misconception. (That Malekith is from Norse mythology.)

As stated: he's not.

Arguably it's a fairly generic sounding name ("~bad ~relation"), though Marvel's Malekith being a King of Dark Elves probably made GW a little worried about being sued over the name of their Malekith, a King of Dark Elves.

Yeah that does kinda make sense yet I do wonder why total war warhammer choose to keep the name malekith in this case.

I am really glad to see that the initial demand for Old World is high. If you look through this thread, you can frequently find me expressing doubt that there would be enough interest in a Bretonnia/Tomb Kings launch and a revival of old WHFB models. So I am happy to have been wrong on that and I like that people are really getting hyped about the game. Let's hope it results in sustained interest!

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 4

3 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I am really glad to see that the initial demand for Old World is high. If you look through this thread, you can frequently find me expressing doubt that there would be enough interest in a Bretonnia/Tomb Kings launch and a revival of old WHFB models. So I am happy to have been wrong on that and I like that people are really getting hyped about the game. Let's hope it results in sustained interest!

Aye, the hobby (not just GW) is getting better and better. More is more!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

So I went through one of the youtube videos that took a look at the army indexes and started writing an bretonian themed nightgoblin list:

hereโ€™s my list any thoughts?

Heroes and Lords:208points:

ย 

Night goblin Warboss:86

-light armor(3)

-shield(3)

-on giant cave squig(25)

ย 

Night goblin bigboss: 37

-great weapon(4)

-light armor(3)

ย 

Night goblin shaman: 85

-level 2 wizard(30)

ย 

Special:891points

20Blac orks:306

-full command(26)

-shields(20)

ย 

3Stonetrolls:147

-great weapons (12)

ย 

10Squig hoppers:146p

-Boss(6)

-cavalry gear(10)

-light armor(10)

ย 

-Boss(6)

-cavalry gear(10)

-light armor(10)

ย 

-Boss(6)

-cavalry gear(10)

-light armor(10)

ย 

Core:809points

ย 

20 squigg hoppersย 

and 6 squig herders:218

ย 

40 Night goblin mob:247

-full command (17)

3fanatics(75)

-throwing spears (40)

ย 

40 Night goblin mob:247

-full command (17)

3fanatics(75)

-throwing spears (40)

ย 

20 night goblin mob: 97

-throwing spears(20)

Full command (17)

ย 

Total:1908points

Goblins leading Black Orcs! Whatever next? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Goblins leading Black Orcs! Whatever next? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wellโ€ฆ. You are fully correct.

in my army the black orks champion believes that he ย is leading the goblins. Or so that one goblin boss tells him that story every time.

they get to bash a fe things and the goblin boss is able to use them as his puppet without them knowing about it.

and since he is able to lead such mighty warriors, all those other goblins truly believe that he is the chosen one of the scuttling lady of da deadwoods .

with the promise that he makes his most trustworthiest of goblins his knightz of da realm, that will go onto a quest to seek the shroomy grail in the name of their king, these goblins fight as fanatically as possible

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

4 hours ago, Beliman said:

Thx for the review. Anything about Dwarfs that can help new players?

I'm not much use yet I'm afraid since I've been out of Fantasy long enough to be rusty, but my questionable and limited thinking isย Runesmiths seem like they'll be pretty important to have sprinkled around (nothing new there), not only for their Runes of Spellbreaking (or just general Dispel attempts) but also because they grant Armour Bane (2) to melee and ranged attacks as a nice bonus.

Magic does seem pretty potent based off influencer videos. Hopefully there's a plastic (or at least new) Anvil of Doom in the books, because it looks like a fun piece of kit... but even as somebody who likes a lot of older models, it was too long in the tooth for me even back in 8th.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RyantheFett said:

Lol I live in the U.S. and the products were delayed. Wonder if and when they will show up?

I do hope they show up at some point and the shipping was not lost at sea lol.

Pirates moved on from intercepting FFG X-Wing shipments.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yeah that does kinda make sense yet I do wonder why total war warhammer choose to keep the name malekith in this case.

Well... I'd assume Marvel/Disneyย haven'tย actually been litigious. GW changing the name to Malerion is probably a case of trying to get ahead of any future problems, and not to deal with an existing one.

When Jervis Johnson (or whomever) decided to give the Witch King the name Malekith, maybe he did it as a cheeky Marvel reference, or maybe it was coincidence.ย 

IP/copyright infringement cases can be pretty weird. Like in 1951 National Comics sued Fawcett over Captain Marvel (not Marvel's Captain Marvel), which they alleged infringed on Superman. That resulted in Fawcett shuttering all of its superhero comics. Ironically, National Comics would go on to become the modern DC Comics, who later bought the rights to all of the Fawcett characters (including Captain Marvel). But in the meantime, Marvel Comics had created and been publishing a different Captain Marvel, meaning that DC couldn't publish their (original) Captain Marvel under that trademark. They did so as SHAZAM! instead, eventually fully changing the name of Captain Marvel to SHAZAM!.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I could be wrong, but wasn't a goblin that lead a big whag once?

Both Grom and Skarsnik have led Waarghs before, and I think Grom's at least included Orcs (not sure about Skarsnik's).

But I was only joking. A goblin leader is fine, and I kinda like @Skreech Verminking's explanation too. Perfectly in keeping with the lore I'd say.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Pirates moved on from intercepting FFG X-Wing shipments.

When I quit Xwing, Legion, Armada for AoS and 40k I never thought I have to worry about shipments of certain models to just disappear for who knows how long....................................... did not miss it lol.

10 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

Both Grom and Skarsnik have led Waarghs before, and I think Grom's at least included Orcs (not sure about Skarsnik's).

But I was only joking. A goblin leader is fine, and I kinda like @Skreech Verminking's explanation too. Perfectly in keeping with the lore I'd say.

Skarsnik is actually the inspiration for why Iโ€™m taking in black orks, although lore wise Iโ€™m really keen getting into a really heavy bretonian themed nightgoblin army.

in lore there where was a squad of black orks lead by there boss, theyโ€™ve heard that a nightgoblin was leading a force of goblins and just thought that it would be a good idea to smash a few heads in and take over as their new bosses. Yet they did not expect with skarsnik devious trick and traps. Those fights went onward so far that the ork boss at some point kneel to skarsnikย 

ย 

Edit: Although as for my armies story, Iโ€™ll probably will at some point write a small fun backstory for my army.

thereโ€™s also a gokd chance Iโ€™ll buy the new heraldik book from the brets, just to get some inspiration, what bretonian faction my boss might have encountered and gotten inspired from to make such a heavy cavalry army, with him as king leading.

this will mean that I will probably take the heraldik of one of the faction and slightly change to some sort of a perversion of it original (for example if the heraldik had a pegasus, mine probably will be a squig ๐Ÿ˜‚)

Edited by Skreech Verminking

So, new dwarf info from Warhammer Fantasy subReddit:

Some notable changes in the new army book are:

-Gromril armor now only lets you reroll natural 1s for armor save. But our heroes and ironbreakers have plate armor (4+) so no losses there.

-Gromril weapons special rule gives your weapons AP -1. AP (Armor Piercing) is now harder to come by.

-The entire army is more or less Magic resistance (-1) meaning enemy wizards casting spell at dwarfs have a -1 modifier to their 2d6 roll. Runesmiths/runelords/Anvil of Doom can dispell with a +1/+2/+3 modifier. For example lv4 wizards will now get +4 modifier to their 2D6 roll to cast spells.

-We lost the immune to march blocking rule but most units can buy drill for 1pt/model to be able to always march.

-Shieldbearers (3 guys) for King/Thane are now on 50x50 base. Means we will probably get a new model. And they give him +3W

-Anvil of Doom is now a seperate character/war machine unit that is a lv3 wizard and can cast 4 different spells. (2 enchantment, 1 conveyence and 1 magic missle spell) That means AoD can cast 3 spells a turn I think!! Spells are +1AS, Immune to Psy, move again and 2D6 S4 AP-2 missile.

-Runesmiths/Runelords now give a unit they have joined (including ranged units!!!) Armor Bane (2) (if you roll 6 to wound you get AP-2) and Flaming attacks. This is huge.

-Master engineers alow shooting units/war machines within its command range (8 inches?) to reroll natural 1s to hit or 1 artilery dice. Cannot be targeted by shooting or magic if within 3 inches of a war machine.

-Warriors. 1 unit per 1000pts can buy rune banner (50pts). Dwarf warriors are looking super good now. Very cheap for 4+AS.

-Longbeards are special unless you have a King, than one unit can be core. No AP for them.

-Xbows/Thunderes can now both take great weapons! Both also come with heavy armor and suffer no penalty for Stand and shoot. Both can also move and shoot now but suffer -2 modifier.

-Can take 1 unit of Rangers as core, otherwise rare. And rangers now have BS4!!!!! They are scouts and skirmishers!!!!!!!! For 11pts/model!!!!! Finaly some skirmishers for dwarfs!!!!!

-Hammerers can take shields, have heavy armor and are back to 1A. New rule: Stoic defenders (if charged they get +1A +1I). Their Hammers are NOT great weapons but special weapons with +2S, AP-2, magic attacks, armor bane (2), two handed weapon!!! No always strike last rule and they are I3 by default so maybe they can actualy strike something.

-Ironbreakers have plate armor so 3+AS in total and reroll 1s for armor save. Also 6+ ward save for nonmagical attacks. So they are as tough as Bretonnian knights more or less.

-Irondrakes. Champion can take Troll torpedo gun that has 24" range S8 AP-3 D3 wounds at BS5!

-Miners have ambush (show on a table edge) and vanguard (make a move after deployment)

-Slayers still naked and weak.

-Gyrocopters are unit size 1-6!!!! Fly (9"), Impact hits(D3), skirmishers, vanguard. Jesus Christ imagine 6 breath templates hitting a unit!!!!!!!!Can also dive bomb by moving over a units and causind d6 S3 AP-1 hits. ALL FOR 60pts/model!

-War machines are more or less the same but less lethal than before. No more killing monster in 1 shot. No more engineers so bolt throwers and organ guns are BS3.

-Gyrobomber never played with it before but now it can throw bombs at units it flies over.

-Runes are same as before with no duplication, max 1 master rune, max 3 runes on an item. Runes are similar to the ones in 6th/7th edition (I never played 8th dwarf army book). Rune of Stone is now 5pts reroll a single failed armor save. Also max alowed armor save is now 2+. MRoBalance is now roll an extra D6 for dispell and discard the lowest. RoSpellbreaking still super strong. Banner rune of Grungni now gives 5+ ward save to a unit and 6+ ward vs shooting for all units within 6" for 80pts. Vanguard rune gives a unit vanguard for 25pts if you want to bring the fight to their side. Rune of Skewering is a must for bolt throwers. Forging is now one use only and cheaper.

-No named characters yet.

-Point costs are similar to 7th edition (did not play 8th so cannot compare)

First impresions are good. No more 1+ rerollable armor save for our characters. So maybe you can make 1 or 2 strong close combat characters otherwise shooting will have to do the killing. There is no more "step up" rule so we are back to hitting last meaning the meta will be shields, not great weapons. Warriors(9pts) seem as capable in combat as the more expensive longbeards(12pts), ironbreakers(15pts) or hammerers(17pts) since every unit is now essentialy stubborn and we will hardly do any damage striking last with few attacks. Hammerers going wide might be good to get a lot of strong attacks out. Cannons and Grudge throwers seem better choice than bolt throwers, organ guns and flame cannons. Rangers seem fantastic. Gyrocopters seem overpowered. Range units going 10 wide with GWs will be able to attack back with full rank and kills from S&S count for combat resolution so that seems good.

Exciting times!

I must say that everything sounds good. I'm really happy to see that the runeforging is still there kicking, that's my favorite part (with Slayers going second).

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

A shame to see chaos warriors lose a little bit of their god aligned flavour. They no longer have skullcrushers, hellstriders, chaos warshrines or god aligned mounts, all things present in 8th edition.ย 
ย 

Does anyone remember where it was said that all 8th edition models would be getting old world rules or was that just a rumour flying around?

5 minutes ago, Bolfrig Bearhide said:

A shame to see chaos warriors lose a little bit of their god aligned flavour. They no longer have skullcrushers, hellstriders, chaos warshrines or god aligned mounts, all things present in 8th edition.ย 
ย 

Does anyone remember where it was said that all 8th edition models would be getting old world rules or was that just a rumour flying around?

The rumour I heard was all 6th ed minis. Not all 8th ed ones.

What I have see so far from the armylist for the forces of fantasy / ravening hordes looks very promising. Lots of details and options. The arcane journals make the options even better. I am going for a Bretonnian Exiles list. So cool.ย  :)

If everything is balanced I have no clue, but it certainly feels exciting to build an army again. This time from scratch. :)

@Belimanย The dwarfs options seem very flavourful!

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

So, new dwarf info from Warhammer Fantasy subReddit:

Armour Saves and Warmachine damage are down across the board apparently, so at least we're not suffering alone, and the Artillery Runes still seem okay, orย  cheaper anyway. Organ Guns and Flame Cannon not being able to take them does seem a riskier prospect, but Engineers are 'only' 50pts if you really want to avoid a Misfire - might not be worth it, but that's what testing is for.

Hammerers being I3 base is interesting, as they're essentially swinging Great Weapons without the Initiative penalty at the same time as most non-Dawi. They seem really good, but you definitely pay the points for it. I do want to run a Shieldbearing Lord King in there just for the fluff though, even if it'll attract every gun and spell on the board.

Ironbreakers being able to take a Detachment of Irondrakes is really interesting. I could see it being the preferred way to run the latter with how pricey they can get.

There's some pretty great runes. I'm impressed at how little useless fat there appears to be, although I'm sure that statement won't hold up to playtesting. Going to be difficult not to buy multiple things and quickly realise half my points cost have been sunk into them though. Toughness 10... it's 100pts but... the big numbers...ย 

I'm looking forward to list building. I'm not looking forward to it blowing up in my face.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2