Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

8 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I'm unfamiliar with the Fantasy timelines, but this says it's before the Collegiate Arcane was formed.  Is that before or after Mordheim took place?  I have bunches of Gutter Runners and Veskit from that series.

Mordheim was before.

Edited by Ejecutor

So, after digesting the Mage phase, I think that it's a mix of Horus Heresy and AOS: It has a pseudo-attempt to unbind magic (like our Heroic Action) and the spells are done with a 2D6 like our Core Rules. But I really like that each mage has their own bonus based on the lvl of magic that they have (simple and easy to remember: lvl 4 mage will have +4 to cast). Imho, it should be ported to AoS ASAP. 

Miscasts to casting and dispelling, seems interesting, but not sure if the magic levels are going to be a bonus to dispelling too.

Each spell has it's own "label" that says where it can be "cast", like Horus Heresy. I like that, it's clean and simple, no more "remove this unit from the battlefield and you can set-up 9" away from the enemy, but you can't move anymore this turn". Just make it clear when and how it works, and you have a rule that affects all similar spell.

13 special rules for a Lady on a Unicorn! That's a lot! Don't get me wrong, I love Horus Heresy, but it feels crazy sometimes. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, michu said:

It feels a lot, but most of the abilities are fairly simple. Magical Attacks, for example, is only for fighting against ghosts and daemons as they can't be hurt by nonmagical weapons.

Yeah, I know. Age of Darkness has some simple USR too, like reroll vs vehicles, but still, there is a lot to unpack when a unit has 13 simple rules. 

• Like 2

Well I just finished catching up on 4 years of thread posts. It was funny looking back at a lot of the rumors for not just The Old World but other GW lines and seeing what actually did come about. Some were surprisingly close. I've been getting really excited for The Old World lately. I've got a decently sized dwarf collection I originally got for AOS to play as Dispossessed during 1.0 and a little of 2.0 before the Cities squatting. Honestly Warhammer Fantasy was always the game I wanted to play and the setting I preferred but the game was dead for at least about a year when I got into tabletop. The release can't come fast enough. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Can anyone tell from the article how many spells a high level wizard will be able to cast?

As I understand it, a level 4 wizard will know 5 spells and cast at +4. But how many of those spells will they actually be able to cast per turn?

I assume 4 per turn and he knows 5 (signature + a spell per level). It depends on the selection of spells the wizard has. He could cast 1 in each phase. Or if he has 2 spells that are useable in the shooting and 2 spells useable in the combat phase. Than he can cast 2 in each phase. I have no idea if you can cast multiple times the same spell. Be it either with the same wizard or another one. You also need an ideal situation to cast your 4 spells in the same turn. You can't do much if you only have a mix of magic missiles and assailment spells and the enemy units are not in range and / or the wizard is not in combat.

If you miscast and you roll 8+ on the miscast table it seems that that wizard can't cast anymore in that turn.

I really like how they seem to handle magic. Since the first Almanack I am getting more and more excited. 🙂

20 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Never understood why GKs had 1 wound only as they are far more resilient than the average Joe. Nevertheless the 3+ AS makes no sense at all, both fluffwise and rulewise. The rest of their profile seems cool and interesting, but sadly they would get Last Samurai-ed most of the time before making contact imho. 

6 hours ago, Sir Grimm said:

Never understood why GKs had 1 wound only as they are far more resilient than the average Joe. Nevertheless the 3+ AS makes no sense at all, both fluffwise and rulewise. The rest of their profile seems cool and interesting, but sadly they would get Last Samurai-ed most of the time before making contact imho. 

Being mounted doesn't confer +1 to AS anymore it seems - which is common sense, and it may just make heavy cavalry (I'm looking at you, imperial knightly orders) less of a mindless hammer/tarpit, since they won't have the 1+ armor save anymore.

• Like 1

30mm x 60mm for the base size, eh?  Do we think all cavalry will be on that size, or will there be smaller cav still on 25 x 50s, sort of like in AoS there are 65mm ovals and 75mm ovals?

Do you think it's safe to extrapolate further from that?  30 x 30 square bases for larger infantry that used to be on 25mm squares?  60 x 120mm the new size for chariot bases & things like sphinxes & necroknights?

59 minutes ago, Sception said:

30mm x 60mm for the base size, eh?  Do we think all cavalry will be on that size, or will there be smaller cav still on 25 x 50s, sort of like in AoS there are 65mm ovals and 75mm ovals?

Do you think it's safe to extrapolate further from that?  30 x 30 square bases for larger infantry that used to be on 25mm squares?  60 x 120mm the new size for chariot bases & things like sphinxes & necroknights?

The specification of "heavy cavalry" being on 30*60 mm makes me think that fast cav will stay on old cavalry bases

We cant know the full picture of saves until we see more than Grail knights, it might be theyve saved that gap for the most armoured things without having to dip into 1+ saves and the like for things like Chaos Knights or Gromril armour. We might have also seen a reduction of armour mods across the board or something, they have certainly upped their impact with removing rank bonuses! 

I wouldnt like to speculate on base sizes personally as rebasing again in succession would just suck :D With WHC doing a snarky response of essentially "Shut up and wait" it seems we are waiting for leaks or release outside of specific units being spoilered or pictured.

• Like 2

Yeah, it seems being mounted doesn't give a +1 armour save anymore. So it's, 5+ heavy armour, shield makes it 4+ and mounted on a horse with barding makes it a 3+.

I don't think they will get last samurai-ed, maybe only if your opponent dedicates almost all their shooting on the unit. Most shooting units have a BS of 3 or 4. So without negative modifiers like long range and etc.. they will be hit at best at 3+ with BS 4, than you have to wound against a toughness of 4, as most shooting is either strength 3 or 4. The roll has be to be a 4+ or 5+ with strength 3 attacks. Than you have your armour save and a potential ward save if you pray.

There probably will also be a magical banner that gives a 4+ of 5+ ward versus shooting. This combined with the fact that Bretonnia will have a lot options to move across the battlefield quickly. Imo, it looks all very good.

• Like 2

I mean, that kinda assumes the enemy has extremely minimal shooting and no artillery though? I mean thats why they added Praying to the Lady because cannons just obliterated lance formations :D

Dont forget the ward save though! 

But roughly working out, a unit of 20 human crossbows (As thats what i have literally in front of me) gets 10 hits, 5 wounds, 2.5 saves, round it down to 2 casualties from the ward save. 

Youll usually get a couple of volleys (Albeit at least one at long range) unless the Bret player doesnt pray (But always pray!) and thats just one unit, probably a cheaper one too, not even focused fire from an army.

Nothing exists in a vacuum though, if you shoot everything at the grail knights, the Knights of the realm are hitting intact, i definitely think they can work. 

One thing this did bring up for me is the lance formation losing one of its big advantages of having a narrow frontage, when the whole front rank of an enemy unit will strike anyway in this edition, it will weirdly be the case that wide formations will be more effective against brets than deep ones!