Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

Looks like this is a rules refresh initially, then newer resin releases from FW down the line, likely Kislev and Cathay up first. You can bring in models from AOS where they fit (which is still about 50% of it!). 

I suspect we will see Resin upgrade spruces for the old imperial plastic kits early on, unless those kits get remade for an AOS / TOW dual release with differing head and weapon options ....  

Sensible moves all around. 

10 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

This is amazing news.

Only question I have is for units that have changed base sizes. Are my goblins on 25mm going to be incompatible with the old world?

Who knows!  The new rules have confirmed certain things, but there's still loads of bits that are unanswered.

I am surprised that GW actually announced that they want people to be able to play their old armies. This is great for players, but considering that part of the problem with WHFB (allegedly) was that people just bought one army and then stopped getting new minis, it must have been a contentious business decision.

I also wonder if this means that some old models will go back into production, otherwise people will for sure complain about highly enfranchised WHFB players having an advantage.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Legatus Seneca said:

Tomb King Return confirmed 

If you are referring to that one Warhammer Community facebook comment that Tomb Kings would be more at home in the Old World, I would not treat that as confirmation of anything.

But if they are, I am definitely ready to buy a bunch of Warsphinx and Necropolis Knights kits.

• LOVE IT! 1

41 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If you are referring to that one Warhammer Community facebook comment that Tomb Kings would be more at home in the Old World, I would not treat that as confirmation of anything.

But if they are, I am definitely ready to buy a bunch of Warsphinx and Necropolis Knights kits.

Nah - more of a wishlisting 

2300, Magnus the Pious vs Asavar Kul. The Founding of the Colleges of Magic by an Elven Archmage (Teclis). 
At least Asavar Kul was an Everchosen that died trying; and not simply retreated every time and tried again (Archaon).

Intrigue, Cultists, Trolls, Bears, Slayers…good times. 

This will be good!

Plus, I could swear, I still have some of them square thingies and a Bretonnian shaped pile of shame somewhere…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Are there now indications that this is set in ~2300 rather than what appeared from previously shown maps to be the earlier period of the time of three emperors then? Or would it be likely to have campaigns that jump around timelines with permitted/forbidden combinations of armies based on that, a bit like Middle Earth SBG?

I'd quite like an Empire army to be able to have some black powder and a battle wizard tbh

Edited by Jefferson Skarsnik

2 minutes ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

Or would it be likely to have campaigns that jump around timelines with permitted/forbidden combinations of armies based on that, a bit like Middle Earth SBG?

That would actually be pretty cool. Turning TOW into a Warhammer Fantasy Historicals, kinda. The idea of being able to set battle at different points in history would definitely get me more interested in the game.

• Thanks 1

you know what.. I'm really buzzing about what I've just read.

And you know what.. I hope that as a warriors of chaos player that the only thing I really really really want is a khorne army where the mark of khorne just doesn't give me the only god mark that you can lose if you lose combat.

If they give me 3rd edition chaos back I'll be a very happy boy... either way... my chaos dwarfs are back in the game .. oh yea..😎

6 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

my chaos dwarfs are back in the game .. oh yea..😎

I definitely hope so for you! I wonder if the game will launch with all the old Warhammer Fantasy faction supported from the get-go, though. Given what we usually see from GW when it comes to updating battletomes/codexes, that would certainly be quite a commitment for them.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I definitely hope so for you! I wonder if the game will launch with all the old Warhammer Fantasy faction supported from the get-go, though. Given what we usually see from GW when it comes to updating battletomes/codexes, that would certainly be quite a commitment for them.

true.. tempered only by how much they know that forgeworld will reduce us all to festering heaps of slag once they open their order books to us.

If they do rhinox cavalry I might even be tempted to buy some chubby guys with big guns.

Edited by Kaleb Daark

2 hours ago, Legatus Seneca said:

Time reset to 2300 - Magnus the Pious I believe.

Fantastic Choice from my point of view.

It's before Magnus though?They talked about an Ottilia's line pretender that was before his time iirc.
Probably they'll build up from the civil unrest till Kul invasion i guess and hope.

Also the mention of Hobgoblins/Hobhounds, Centaurs (nice return from earliest editions) and Half-Orcs(????Aren't supposed to be Fungi as the 7th edition armybook said?) is really intriguing (and i'm laughing as even whfb is going deep in centaurmania).

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson

1 hour ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

Are there now indications that this is set in ~2300 rather than what appeared from previously shown maps to be the earlier period of the time of three emperors then? Or would it be likely to have campaigns that jump around timelines with permitted/forbidden combinations of armies based on that, a bit like Middle Earth SBG?

I'd quite like an Empire army to be able to have some black powder and a battle wizard tbh

Educated guess on my part based on today’s reveal - nothing confirmed. 

Especially knowledgeable students may also note this puts us just before another calamitous Chaos invasion, and one which, while central to the story of the Empire and the entire Old World, was barely touched on in previous iterations

Timeline jumps sound like fun though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I am surprised that GW actually announced that they want people to be able to play their old armies. This is great for players, but considering that part of the problem with WHFB (allegedly) was that people just bought one army and then stopped getting new minis, it must have been a contentious business decision.

I also wonder if this means that some old models will go back into production, otherwise people will for sure complain about highly enfranchised WHFB players having an advantage.

The issue was less that people were unwilling to buy new models so much as Fantasy releases were few and far between. End Times models sold out in minutes, which back then, was pretty damn rare for non-limited stuff. I'd definitely argue End Times is where GW 'learnt' that keeping up a constant momentum of release cycles is a much better way to get a consistent flow of cash than leaving armies in limbo for half a decade. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thinking more about it...  I have many back burner AoS projects right now.  One of them was to be a Dwarf-based Cities of Sigmar army (with dozens of classic metal models).  I think I might re-prioritize for now, work on other things, and potentially put the Dwarfs on squares some day in the future.  I have years and years of projects piled up already, so it's not big thing to rearrange.

• Like 3

Amazing news!! Even better news that the old models and armies will be usable. 

I imagine Games Workshop will release some movement trays that incorporate circle bases as there are tons of cross over units (especially cities of sigmar, seraphon and slaves to darkness). 

I do wonder if they will bring back some of the old models to the store or if they will slowly release new replacement kits. Some models are in desperate need of an upgrade but some had tons of character.

It is definitely going to impact on my Age of Sigmar purchasing. In the short term I will probably only get models that were originally from the Old World with an exception to some of the Kruleboyz and Stormcast models. In the long term I will shift permanently from Age of Sigmar to Fantasy.

I do have concerns that both Age of Sigmar and the Old World will have a negative impact on one another unless Games Workshop do keep a cross-over between the 2.

• Like 1

If I had to guess it might end up being like Necromunda was; releasing either a free PDF or a 40k 8th-esq Index for armies that aren't getting proper releases at launch which are then phased out as the release cycle gets around to the 'modernised' version of those armies.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

Thinking more about it...  I have many back burner AoS projects right now.  One of them was to be a Dwarf-based Cities of Sigmar army (with dozens of classic metal models).  I think I might re-prioritize for now, work on other things, and potentially put the Dwarfs on squares some day in the future.  I have years and years of projects piled up already, so it's not big thing to rearrange.

Could you go for square and use these to convert and swap between rules? Maybe magnetise? Or maybe round bases in a square move tray …