AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

9 hours ago, Aelfric said:

I was rootling in some old boxes of models looking for a Human wizard and came across two old metal Dwarf wizards from the days when Dwarves could be wizards.  So I'm thinking I'll use them as Collegiate Arcane Wizards of short stature bowed down by the weight of their knowledge.  They must be pretty old, judging from the paint job.  Now I don't know whether to leave them as is as a reminder of times gone by or to give them an up-date.

Having dwarf wizards would be very useful. Greywater Fastness needs a few war criminals to unleash the napalm and mustard gas.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Namelessone81 said:

Having the AoS updated I saw that we don’t have eternal guard as battleline :( 

so other than sisters of the watch what should we put for battleline units ? What do you all think ? 

Eternal guard are battleline for all cities and generals in cities of sigmar.   That's why it doesn't say they're battleline if your general is wanderers.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Why, oh why mention a Nomad Prince on a Stag and not give us the means to field one!?

It's the same in the undead book where they mention skeleton archers 😭

Back on topic, a Spirit of Durthu general with Ghyrestrike and Druid of the Everspring Circle (choosing Life Surge spell) sounds like a real pain in the butt to kill. He heals 1W each turn, +D6 if he can cast the spell. That's tanky.

Another combo I'm liking is a Sorceress (choosing Cage of Thorns) and some sacrificial Darkshards to help guarantee the spell goes off and provide cover fire. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Artobans Ghost said:

Didn’t want to thread this but any word when they update azyr with CoS?

It is, you need to manually update your app if it hasn't already.

As for Warscroll Builder.. could be up to a week or more. It generally lags behind the app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just adding to above. I have all the updated warscrolls now but in the army list area the app still shows the old factions and nothing for CoS. I’ve updated as much as I can but can’t find the Cities faction. Is there still another upgrade to come?

sorry to be a pain but tech and me don’t go well together most of the time lol

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2019 at 10:52 PM, TheMuphinMan said:

the command ability to move after shooting didnt seem to take into consideration the often forgoten extremis chamber. the dracoth guard units have a 12" shooting attack and the drakesworn templar can have a bow so both of those could get set up for a 3" charge on the first turn. 

6 hours ago, schwabbele said:

I am not sure if I read it correctly, but can I make a star drake my living city general and give him „Ironoak Artisan“ and „Spear of the Hunt „ ? 

Yes to both. But I don't think it was an accident. Its not like very powerful and highly mobile monsters/monstrous cavalry aren't already a thing in several factions. At face value a very buff star drake or unit of dracoths coming in from a board edge doesn't really seem much worse than a unit of 9 eels.... 

2 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

😭back on topic, a Spirit of Durthu general with Ghyrestrike and Druid of the Everspring Circle (choosing Life Surge spell) sounds like a real pain in the butt to kill. He heals 1W each turn, +D6 if he can cast the spell. That's tanky.

Another combo I'm liking is a Sorceress (choosing Cage of Thorns) and some sacrificial Darkshards to help guarantee the spell goes off and provide cover fire. 

I don't play sylvaneth but doesn't durthu need wildwoods to get the extra attacks and post deployment mobility? Otherwise it does sound pretty tanky. 

I've just kitbashed a new Dreadlord with a repeater crossbow to go on my Black Dragon for the deepstrike, shoot and charge.  Thought I'd try him out as General with Ironoak Artisan to bring him back to a 3+ save and either Spear of the Hunt or Ghyrstrike.  Also deepstrike 5 SotT with Lifesurge to accompany him, so he can cause havoc in the backfield while the rest of the army tries to hold on objectives.  Maybe some Shadow Warriors to keep my opponent guessing.  It's been so long since I've put a big monster with my Wanderers, I can't resist, even though it means giving up retinue and Adjutant.

I can always go back to the model with lance and shield later.

Also to clarify:  with the Cage of Thorns spell from the Lore of Leaves, does pile in count as a move for the D6 MW damage?

You know what I love about CoS? I love that, instead of restricting us to a faction, it lets us run wild. We can convert Dark Elves with leaves and paint them up like living city warriors, we can convert Freeguild with leaves and paint them up like living city warriors, everqueen, we can even convert a STEAM TANK with leaves and paint it up like a living city STEAM TANK!

On a less optimistic note, it's sad to see the Wanderers sculpt go. I had just gotten into the hobby and picked up a couple units of Wanderers to start - A Waywatcher and some Glade Guard - then got distracted with 40k for a while. I got a SC! Sylvaneth for christmas, and that got me back into things, and then CoS dropped and the Waystrider was gone. I love my Waywatcher, and was hoping to pick up a Wayfinder, but I absolutely adore the Waystrider sculpt. Too late to pick one up from GW, though I might try to find one on Ebay...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AthelLoren said:

You know what I love about CoS? I love that, instead of restricting us to a faction, it lets us run wild. We can convert Dark Elves with leaves and paint them up like living city warriors, we can convert Freeguild with leaves and paint them up like living city warriors, everqueen, we can even convert a STEAM TANK with leaves and paint it up like a living city STEAM TANK!

On a less optimistic note, it's sad to see the Wanderers sculpt go. I had just gotten into the hobby and picked up a couple units of Wanderers to start - A Waywatcher and some Glade Guard - then got distracted with 40k for a while. I got a SC! Sylvaneth for christmas, and that got me back into things, and then CoS dropped and the Waystrider was gone. I love my Waywatcher, and was hoping to pick up a Wayfinder, but I absolutely adore the Waystrider sculpt. Too late to pick one up from GW, though I might try to find one on Ebay...

Remember, a warscroll getting retired (especially heroes) doesnt mean you can't use the model. Waystrider/spellweavers aren't gone, they are just nomad prince-sses and I doubt anyone would say otherwise as long as you aren't doing it to powergame.

• LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, TheMuphinMan said:

Remember, a warscroll getting retired (especially heroes) doesnt mean you can't use the model. Waystrider/spellweavers aren't gone, they are just nomad prince-sses and I doubt anyone would say otherwise as long as you aren't doing it to powergame.

I can tell you without question that my 2h-sword wielding noble will be nomad prince #2 for my army, I've glued that damn sword on far too many times to retire her.

• Like 1

I got my waystrider second hand without the sword, so I gave him a wild wood rangers draich, so he is going to be the champion of my wildwood rangers (handy as I've lost 1 wwr), in saying that, he would be awesome as a nomad prince in the battalion. 

I'm also using my spellweaver (floaty chick with stick) as a ghyran battlemage, mainly as i plan to get a sorceress to use as a sorceress.

Some shadow warriors for midfield shenanigans (why are they not wanderers, I mean really, the rules scream wanderers), and I'll have a pretty cool aelf army from the living city, really looking forward to hidden paths 30 sisters of the watch

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, adreal said:

I got my waystrider second hand without the sword, so I gave him a wild wood rangers draich, so he is going to be the champion of my wildwood rangers (handy as I've lost 1 wwr), in saying that, he would be awesome as a nomad prince in the battalion. 

I'm also using my spellweaver (floaty chick with stick) as a ghyran battlemage, mainly as i plan to get a sorceress to use as a sorceress.

Some shadow warriors for midfield shenanigans (why are they not wanderers, I mean really, the rules scream wanderers), and I'll have a pretty cool aelf army from the living city, really looking forward to hidden paths 30 sisters of the watch

SotW are probably better being midfield, or anywhere with clear sight range of the majority of your opponent's army, or overwatching objectives, so they can do work all game without having to move. If you Hidden Paths them, you might end up with them out of place outside a turn 1 alpha strike, and then they won't be able to do the work they need to later.

Personally, I'd use the deepstrike on melee units like WWR or big stompy Sylvaneth, and keep my shooting on my side as an initial deploy with my EG to block. After all, with your Shadow Warriors you'll have like 30 deep-striking jerkbag elves to put in cover anywhere for turn 1, 2, or 3, which will do an excellent job of shooting away support heroes and doing chip damage on the bigger stuff if needed.

4 minutes ago, overtninja said:

Personally, I'd use the deepstrike on melee units like WWR or big stompy Sylvaneth, and keep my shooting on my side as an initial deploy with my EG to block. After all, with your Shadow Warriors you'll have like 30 deep-striking jerkbag elves to put in cover anywhere for turn 1, 2, or 3, which will do an excellent job of shooting away support heroes and doing chip damage on the bigger stuff if needed.

You taking them as a group of 30? I worry about being able to fit them all into cover with a group that big.

9 hours ago, Dr Ben said:

I don't play sylvaneth but doesn't durthu need wildwoods to get the extra attacks and post deployment mobility? Otherwise it does sound pretty tanky. 

With Ghyrstrike he's chucking out 3 attacks that hit and wound on 2s and deal 6 damage each at -2 to saves. Plus he has the talon attack and a stomp which makes a unit in 3" attack at the end of the round. He can also use his decent shooting attack combined with the Living City command ability to get extra movement. He does work best with trees nearby, but he's still fearsome in CoS.

Edit: he works differently in CoS, but thinking about it some more, I don't think he's necessarily worse. He always heals 1W a turn, can deploy up the board without needing nearby trees, he has the ability to take a spell that heals himself or another unit, and he can use the command ability for movement. The self healing options means that he stays at full power for longer without requiring a friendly wizard nearby to heal him. So, in effect, he deals better but fewer attacks in CoS, and he tanks better without support. 

If you're able to get a sorceress within 18" of an enemy unit that's just out of his reach, chuck cage of thorns on them to keep them in place for Durthu to attack.

Edited by SentinelGuy

19 hours ago, Namelessone81 said:

Having the AoS updated I saw that we don’t have eternal guard as battleline :( 

so other than sisters of the watch what should we put for battleline units ? What do you all think ? 

Was going to mention this as well, as atm the app doesn't list Eternal Guard as battleline at all, they are in the book, but not on the app. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Artobans Ghost said:

Just adding to above. I have all the updated warscrolls now but in the army list area the app still shows the old factions and nothing for CoS. I’ve updated as much as I can but can’t find the Cities faction. Is there still another upgrade to come?

sorry to be a pain but tech and me don’t go well together most of the time lol

Never mind. Update came last night. All is well with the world again. 

Wrong thread anyways. Meant to be in CoS discussion lol

11 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Also to clarify:  with the Cage of Thorns spell from the Lore of Leaves, does pile in count as a move for the D6 MW damage?

I have so many questions like this, does a pile in effect the Eternal Guards Fortress of boughs include pile ins? ( It did use to in the FAQ) So I would say if you have Armour of tThorns, or Fortress of Boughs you can't pile in therefore Cage of Thorns also causes MW on a pile in.

Does Fortress of Boughs activate in turn 1 when you haven't had your go yet? It should right because you haven't moved yet?

1 minute ago, GM_Monkey said:

I have so many questions like this, does a pile in effect the Eternal Guards Fortress of boughs include pile ins? ( It did use to in the FAQ) So I would say if you have Armour of tThorns, or Fortress of Boughs you can't pile in therefore Cage of Thorns also causes MW on a pile in.

Does Fortress of Boughs activate in turn 1 when you haven't had your go yet? It should right because you haven't moved yet?

I would say Fortress of Boughs would be active on turn 1 if you haven't moved.  If the FAQ confirms pile-in is a move, then I'm happy with that.  Eternal Guard din't need to pile in really they jut need to survive.  But it means Armour of Thorns has more flexibility of use.

The rules split movement into three groups: Normal moves (done in the movement phase, includes retreating and running), charge moves and pile in moves. All of them are considered to be "moves". Some abilities specify something like "after a charge move", which is triggered after that specific type, others, like the eternal guard, simply save if they have not made a "move". This means they literally cannot move, in any of the ways specified. With Cage of Thorns, it just says "when this unit moves" or something like that, which means the first time is makes ANY kind of "move". Another example is the Flamespyre pheonnix's Wake of Fire ability, which specifies "After this unit has made a normal move", so charge moves and pile in moves do not count for the purposes of the rule. If it had said "after this model has made a move" then all types would count. I hope that makes sense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1