AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

Some really interesting stuff here. Definitely a bold new direction for Death. Is it too much of a departure from the classic fantasy sword and sorcery troupe of I have been raised on? Quite possibly. The four-limbed Tyranid Warrior like models look quite science fiction to me.

Please, I take nothing away from those who love them - that's great! The quality of the designs and detail of these models is undoutably fantastic . I do really like the rank and file models too.

• Like 1

What about the rules? What do you thing these bad boys would do?

The infantry they've shown up looks like elite forces, but they still have models to show so maybe we haven't seen the cheaper battlelines ¿?

In rules terms I'm really wondering what they could do. Maybe something about killing enemies, using their bones and deploying new units, but that's pretty much the same that khorne does with blood tithe points. Reviving spells would be a little repetitive as fec and nighthaunt alrealdy do that. 

Edited by DarrinTheOccult

The Mortarch is awesome, but I'm not keen on the foot-troops. They look shorter than they should be, which I think is because the bones are so thick. This is massively emphasised on the Mortarch model, the standard bearer looks stumpy next to the longer form of the Mortarch and the other 3 models on the base. A fraction taller and I think they'd be great.

I also don't like the heads and faces of the foot troops, in particularly the straight-out Joker smiles. I wonder if there's alternative versions of these, or more heads with helmets like the one dude has, or the horsemen.

5 minutes ago, DarrinTheOccult said:

The infantry they've shown up looks like elite forces, but they still have models to show so maybe we haven't seen the cheaper battlelines ¿?

In rules terms I'm really wondering what they could do. Maybe something about killing enemies, using their bones and deploying new units, but that's pretty much the same that khorne does with blood tithe points. Reviving spells would be a little repetitive as fec and nighthaunt alrealdy do that. 

My guess is this will be the more elite Death faction. No hordes with these guys

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DarrinTheOccult said:

That's what I thought but then, on the trailer, it looks like you can build them with spears which is a typical horde weapon 😵

Perhaps unless they are more like the spears in 300. For defensive position purposes 

• Like 1

"Necropolis Stalkers, for instance, are infused with the souls of four legendary warriors apiece, giving them the ability to shift personalities mid-battle in order to change their fighting style. "

I also noticed this, which is clearly a hint of their rules. They insist in the article on Katakros being the best strategist of the mortal realms, so maybe he has some rules like multiple command abilities or so...

Edited by DarrinTheOccult

24 minutes ago, DarrinTheOccult said:

The infantry was presented in sort of big quantity in the video, at least not SCE type of elite

So I expect infantry to be slighty better than common 1 wound chaff, really hope that mounted guys will be good, I already in love with them since I love cavalry and 4-armed constructs will be sort of lesser morghasts type maybe?

Really hoping for ranged infantry unit and giant monster for good measure, like a war statue, that would be awesome

For rules I'd like to see more MSU / Combined Arms approach considering their elite type apperance and Mortarch that is a paragon tactitian
Really no clue what their magic and traits might look like

• Like 2

Just thinking story/lore out loud here - windmills (probably called deathmills). 

Yes Windmills! Vast buildings with sailed moved by the ghostly dead, turning large cogs and wheels which move huge grinding stones formed of realmstone. The bones from the Tithe are poured into the machine where rollers crush them and then the grinders finally break down the broken bones into a fine powder. A powder gathered and moved to a production facility.

Within melted metal, the ground down bone and magic are fused together. The warriors made in moulds as the parts are formed and then linked together to build new bodies for the warriors. Finishing their creation in a vast kiln where they are baked hard and then left to cool.  Finally some kind of machine (my imagination hasn't caught up yet) forces the souls of the dead into the newly made body. 

Then, because its a mobile army, the mill must be build upon the legs of a thousand warriors; thus letting it walk its way with the army as it marches over the land; creating new warriors every day, every hour. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, pacoxo said:

Am I the only one that doesn't like this army at all? Is like a Tomb King and a Necron had a weird child 

Probably not the only one, but first to say that in army's dedicated thread I think)

Actually, one guy left the chat on social media leaving behind a message that he sells his aos because of this release, he was that hecking pissed by the look of new army

Edited by XReN
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

I'd like to see this been take on summoning: collect tithe somehow new. Possibly killing certain types of units: hero wizard battleline etc. At end of any phase, once per game you summon their centerpiece model. This is a multi-model unit like morathis two forms that is stronger based on how much tithe you've accumulated. 1=oh it's just a skeletal gryph-hound. Two: oh skelephant! Three: construct wrecking ball!! Four: full on rolling watchtower of bone like above^^ all these sold in one/two kits in place of scenery.

1 minute ago, XReN said:

Probably not the only one, but first to say that in army's dedicated thread I think)

I might've been first ; )

They are, however, growing on me - which is good as I had plans for them as my entry to Death alliance. I'll need to see the sprues to see if conversions can fix the issues I still have with them. And the Mortarch's bone thong *will* have to be covered with a tabard of some sort, because seriously, look at it :D

I still think they look funny, to clarify. I'm just more and more ok with this.

3 minutes ago, dekay said:

I might've been first ; )

They are, however, growing on me - which is good as I had plans for them as my entry to Death alliance. I'll need to see the sprues to see if conversions can fix the issues I still have with them. And the Mortarch's bone thong *will* have to be covered with a tabard of some sort, because seriously, look at it :D

I still think they look funny, to clarify. I'm just more and more ok with this.

I'm spinning the ideas of how to change mage's (priest's?) head, I'll also won't paint him black, I feel like the paint scheme is the reason he is the only model I didn't liked

Edited by XReN

The four limbed things just really don't do it for me, but if Morghasts can be included as others have speculated it's all good. Maybe Morghasts get a Ossiarch Bonereapers warscroll profile like the black coach ended up with two profiles?