Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Overread

General Hobby Chatter!

Recommended Posts

For things that don't really fit into anything else, here is a thread for it! For those updates to your army, the latest model you've bought/built/painted. For those inane bits of chatter where you work out if a skaven really would beat a dwarf in a one on one fight etc... Ergo stuff that is just general chatter and hobby stuff but which doesn't really belong in its own thread or being thrown into a blog no one reads. 

 

 

 

 

 

For me - my Warcry order just went in the post! Fingers crossed that the postman delivers it tomorrow! :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've spent two nights in a row working on old metal models (pinning, scraping off lingering old paint, etc.) and my poor arthritic hands are aching today haha.  And I've got a couple more similar nights ahead of me.  Worth it to mix old and new squigs together though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diving into a three race narrative alliance for my Warcry forces.

 

A Legions of Nagash Wight force led by Heinrich Kemmler and Krell.

An Eternals force converted to be the Lichemasters Elite Wight Contingent. Bat Swarms and Dire Wolves subbing in for Aetherwings and Gryph Hounds.

A Tribe of Orruks who worship the Lichemaster and offer the corpses of their slain foes as tribute.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am starting up a Sylvaneth force now that the Battletome is out.  My first additions are the contents of the Looncurse box so looking forward to painting the Arch Regent, Kurnoth Hunters and Tree Revenants.

I kind of wish the endless spells were individual as I really like the magic centipede Gladewyrm but that tree is super weird looking.  I cant help but think of it as an opening that Slannesh would quite like to jump into... not sure why they designed it that way.

Anyways, my must have in the army is Drycha, absolutely love that model but after that I am a bit lost on what to get.  Are the non-bow Kurnoths worth it?  I want a couple of units of the Spite-Revenants to go with Dyrcha and I like how they look but not sure they will be very effective.

Also wondering about how the AoS warscroll for the newly revealed Kurnothi warband for Beastgrave will fit in since they will be an isolated group for the time being.  Assuming they will ally in with Wanderers but hopefully with the Sylvaneth as well - maybe not even as allies since their name is so close to the Kurnoth hunters.

Edited by Travis Baumann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the perfect thread for me! I love reading what people get up to, and I'm not particularly focused myself :)

After about a million obsessive back and forths, I've decided to hold off on buying the warcry starter set. I'll just get the book and faction cards for nighthaunt and stormcast. I'm keeping the starter set as a reward for finishing the other stuff I have! That might just get me painting more.

I've just started painting the Thorns warband for nightvault, having fun with an airbrush and toothbrush. Experimenting is fun, but I hope the result will be decent.
About a month ago I bought a box of necromunda cawdor on a whim, and recently I realized that they look brilliant with skulls instead of heads. So I've started converting them for a LoN band for warcry. I've really liked the couple of demo games I've played, looks like I finally found my perfect fit...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to summon up the hobby-mojo to finnish my last 30 crossbowmen. 

I now have like 4000 pts of old Empire and I'm still sure the cities book will make me buy more  😛

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The BT CoS gave me a moral boost to keep on painting my High Elves. Really hoping i can play with all my toys in a single force.

Worried about the possibility of the Dragon Noble be removed from the line, but got a backup plan in case it happens.  Will use the 2 horses on my Dragon Blades, one as a really cool Standart Bearers the other as the leader.

 

I started High Elves with AoS, and i am super attached to then because of my depression. It keeps me from painting and as a result it takes me ages to get stuff done and it was a bummer to not be sure if the range was going away or not. 

Took me a couple years to get here,  but now i have painted 2 phoenix, 2 dragons, archmage, loremaster, 20 Phoenix Guard,  4 Swordmasters, High Warden and now i managed to paint my first Dragon Blade (testing colors) and the result was cool. Looking foward to get the first 5 ready to go.

One day i will manage to get a full painted army on the table, but it feels good to be moving foward.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

The BT CoS gave me a moral boost to keep on painting my High Elves. Really hoping i can play with all my toys in a single force.

Worried about the possibility of the Dragon Noble be removed from the line, but got a backup plan in case it happens.  Will use the 2 horses on my Dragon Blades, one as a really cool Standart Bearers the other as the leader.

 

I started High Elves with AoS, and i am super attached to then because of my depression. It keeps me from painting and as a result it takes me ages to get stuff done and it was a bummer to not be sure if the range was going away or not. 

Took me a couple years to get here,  but now i have painted 2 phoenix, 2 dragons, archmage, loremaster, 20 Phoenix Guard,  4 Swordmasters, High Warden and now i managed to paint my first Dragon Blade (testing colors) and the result was cool. Looking foward to get the first 5 ready to go.

One day i will manage to get a full painted army on the table, but it feels good to be moving foward.

Good to hear about the surge of inspiration! I've struggled with similar things in the past and it can be a real b*tch (I'm struggling with painting now as well, but now it's just lazyness :P). I'm worried about my general on horse being removed, would be so stupid of them to remove him but we will see.

My Freeguild will march with your aelves in spirit when the book hits!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thiagoma said:

The BT CoS gave me a moral boost to keep on painting my High Elves. Really hoping i can play with all my toys in a single force.

Worried about the possibility of the Dragon Noble be removed from the line, but got a backup plan in case it happens.  Will use the 2 horses on my Dragon Blades, one as a really cool Standart Bearers the other as the leader.

 

I started High Elves with AoS, and i am super attached to then because of my depression. It keeps me from painting and as a result it takes me ages to get stuff done and it was a bummer to not be sure if the range was going away or not. 

Took me a couple years to get here,  but now i have painted 2 phoenix, 2 dragons, archmage, loremaster, 20 Phoenix Guard,  4 Swordmasters, High Warden and now i managed to paint my first Dragon Blade (testing colors) and the result was cool. Looking foward to get the first 5 ready to go.

One day i will manage to get a full painted army on the table, but it feels good to be moving foward.

Honestly, any of the old high elf models that they remove you could easily still use as "counts as" for whatever similar outfitted units end up in the book (Spire of Dawn swordmasters of hoeth counting as empire greatswords, ellyrian reavers as whatever mounted cav ends up, etc...)

 

And it'll probably look better as a full army since you can keep the cone head high elf look for everyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, most of my collection is made of the models beeing currently sold.  Have just a SoD box and extra 30 Swordmasters.

Other than that i got a pair of "celestar" elven ballistas and some older characters i got just to fill the collection.

Currently i got at least 1 box of each "high elf looking" models beeing sold and a bunch of the regular troops.  I love Spire of Dawn but i knew this time would come and only got the box my wife bought me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question!

 

Do you guys have several miniatures of the same Warscrolls so you can assembly then in a bunch of diferent ways/models?

I am an Archmage Maniac.

I got 7 different archmages, 2 on horse, 2 on Dragons and 3 on foot. I love the multiple options of this models! Flaming swords and tomes and staff make then look very diferent of each other!

My first Archmage on horse was a second hand model from ebay and was missing the cape and i didnt realize until i got it. I made a conversion with a huge elven greatsword on his back and worked very well!IMG-20190127-WA0016.jpg.bb72d81de583e01548efe014e7b6ce29.jpg20181217_032059.jpg.07e00f684787a8663de0f31f6f0a7fa3.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chickenbits said:

Trying to summon up the hobby-mojo to finnish my last 30 crossbowmen. 

I now have like 4000 pts of old Empire and I'm still sure the cities book will make me buy more  😛

I have a bit of an issue that I don't like the guards and crossbowmen models. That is preventing me from finishing more of them.

I am also unsure what will change in the warscrolls, specifically whether guards will keep militia weapons.

I can build Demis though, and greatswords.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I have a bit of an issue that I don't like the guards and crossbowmen models. That is preventing me from finishing more of them.

I am also unsure what will change in the warscrolls, specifically whether guards will keep militia weapons.

I can build Demis though, and greatswords.

I am using third party miniatures, which my local group is A-OK with.

contrast makes painting them fun.

$75 for 145 miniatures helps too.

  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord marcus said:

I am using third party miniatures, which my local group is A-OK with.

contrast makes painting them fun.

$75 for 145 miniatures helps too.

Mine don't, it's at a store. They are fine with conversions, however, and I have a lot of Bretonnian Bowmen to convert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Mine don't, it's at a store. They are fine with conversions, however, and I have a lot of Bretonnian Bowmen to convert.

My local group is based out of a HobbyTown USA. Although most people play with full GW armies we don't discourage anyone.

 

Because at the end of the day we all want to play, and if the miniatures fit a theme or look easily recognizable as, say, "human fighters in light armor with some form of hand weapon and a shield", then as long as you clearly state what they represent no one cares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lord marcus said:

My local group is based out of a HobbyTown USA. Although most people play with full GW armies we don't discourage anyone.

 

Because at the end of the day we all want to play, and if the miniatures fit a theme or look easily recognizable as, say, "human fighters in light armor with some form of hand weapon and a shield", then as long as you clearly state what they represent no one cares.

Well, the commute is a bit of a drag from Holland to the USA, but maybe I should look for a different group if I want to use my Warlord minis. As for now, I am content just using parts of them in conversions. I have amassed quite a force in Freeguild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am spending way too much time on a Warcry warband knowing that it won't take off in my area. Specialist games other than Blood Bowl are never played here. I am using Bloodbowl Goblins with Boingrot heads to make some Grot Foot Knights. All armed with Stabbas except one with a spear that will have a flowing banner coming off it to be the banner bearer, and one with a gong. Those are in case I use them for real AoS. It's actually a real pain sanding down the pyramid shapes that connect the helmet to the Bounder, and some of the Blood Bowl Goblins don't take shields very well. Also i don't know how I will paint them after I am done. Iron armor and black and purple cloth to match the rest of my army?

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between 2pm and 3pm Warcry should be arriving here!! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

I am spending way too much time on a Warcry warband knowing that it won't take off in my area. Specialist games other than Blood Bowl are never played here. I am using Bloodbowl Goblins with Boingrot heads to make some Grot Foot Knights. All armed with Stabbas except one with a spear that will have a flowing banner coming off it to be the banner bearer, and one with a gong. Those are in case I use them for real AoS. It's actually a real pain sanding down the pyramid shapes that connect the helmet to the Bounder, and some of the Blood Bowl Goblins don't take shields very well. Also i don't know how I will paint them after I am done. Iron armor and black and purple cloth to match the rest of my army?

I feel your pain man. I don’t have many players around me either. That said the rules are really simple to teach, maybe if you have 2 warbands ready to go you could convince some people to try it out?  People with AoS armies might already have enough minis to make a warband, so their buy in could be as low as the faction cards if they’re into it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pick up warcry tomorrow 😃 Looks like there’s quite a bit of interest in it around me. 

My effort at finishing off 40 Acolytes before starting on the warcry models is not going to plan! More to add to the pile of half finished before something new and shiny takes my eye...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Maxi99 said:

Pick up warcry tomorrow 😃 Looks like there’s quite a bit of interest in it around me. 

My effort at finishing off 40 Acolytes before starting on the warcry models is not going to plan! More to add to the pile of half finished before something new and shiny takes my eye...

I was aiming to finish all of my Slaanesh backlog before Warcry arrived. Technically I've got until tomorrow (the actual release date) to make 3 whip armed chariot riders, though I'm happy with my progress since a Fane and Warpfire dragon arrived last week and I've spent time cleaning them up :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm in the middle of my Bonesplitterz concept army atm, and have 1.2k of gloomspite done up, so I'm coming into Warcry fully painted!

What I did prep for however is a custom built 22x30" board and terrain. I don't quite have the cash to drop on the box, so I thought I'd make my own. Turns out I've got quite a bit of enthusiasm for the process, and have almost gotten through it in just a week!

One thing I picked up on while doing test games on the WIP pieces for playability: try and build your Warcry boards to have a bit more verticality than the core box suggests. This will become especially apparent if you run into someone who insists on running the box terrain as their true height (>3" tall). All the falling shenanigans really add to the game, and having sufficient bits for your fellas to clamber up onto, jump between, and occasionally plummet off just *feels* so nice.

Edited by soak314
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

Question!

 

Do you guys have several miniatures of the same Warscrolls so you can assembly then in a bunch of diferent ways/models?

Yeah, I love those multi option kits far more than is sensible. I have four of the arch mages (2 boxes worth), which is the bare minimum you'd need to use all the options. I think there are a few staff heads and a dagger i've not used.

With the Battlemages kit, I got a bit carried away, and assembled quite a lot of wizards, trying to use all of the different implements, and create distinct mages for each lore of magic. Most have options in the kit, but a few required kitbashing in some sylvaneth parts.

On a semi related note I've realised that once Cities of Sigmar arrives I'll probably have 12000+ points for it. At one point or another I've put together a modest force for each of the five classic WFB armies which it effectively combines, so I'm quite looking forward to trying to put them all on the table, and see how they look arrayed for war. It has though made me realise just how many old projects I need to go back and finish painting before I can do so. Empire and Dwarfs only have a few grey models, since I've played with those a fair bit, but my various Elven armies are going to take a lot of work before they can go on parade!

That's not even counting my large collection of 100 or so wizard models from various sources. If I added the points cost for each of them then the army would be even bigger...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anyone else like myself who just tries to collect a nice chunk of every army?

I'm at roughly 63,000 total points (not including scenery). Stormcast and Skaven are the only two over 4,000 points, sitting at 4801 and 4393 respectively. Although, if everything for Free Cities stays, that army will probably exist somewhere over 10,000 points.

I have weird stigmas for what I purchase too. So little of what I have is big models, and so much is just a combination of what comes in the two-Army battleboxes, Start Collecting boxes, and Holiday Battleforces. I only sometimes buy a kit more than once, and usually only if it is a Battleline unit, or builds a completely different model/unit (as opposed to a different weapon loadout). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...