Why do you like your army?

Malifik

I play Disciples of Tzeentch now in AoS though I also play/ed Warriors of Chaos in old WFB (at first Undivided, later with a Tzeentch focus) and Thousand Sons.

The reason is simple: it's Tzeentch - the one true Chaos God! Not only do I dig the look of his followers (from Egrimm Van Horstmann to Aekold Helbrass from the old days, to basic Rubric Marines in 40k or somewhat new heroes like the Gaunt Summoner, Vilitch and the like), I simply love the background of Tzeentch. With him being such a convoluted, never-to-be-understood deity, there is something truly magical otherworldly and Lovecraft-ian about him that the other Chaos Gods don't offer (although I like them as well, especially Khorne). 

Being a hulking brute in crude armor is one thing, but being a sophisticated sorcerer in intricate armor is even cooler in my book!

Darkling covens I like for the same reason I liked the old dark aelves that spawned this collection. Dragons, dark sorceresses's driven by hatred and beautiful executioner sword wielding elves chopping whole limbs off of everything in reach.

My beasts of Chaos list is to touch on the more competitive side and explore a more up to date tome with more options. I picked them up partially for the tickle it can give me competitively (when I run enlightened spam or ungor spam) but flexibility as well when I want to goof off with warherd jank with more casual listed friends without the "stripped down" one dimensional playstyle the elves give me. 

DOK: I starte dcollecting Warhammer in the very early 2000s. I saw an image of Witch Elves, with a Sorceress and some of the old Furies (not the harpies). I was hooked then and there with Warhammer.

I've got about 11 armies in Fantasy & 2 in 40K but it all comes down to the Witch Elves and the Sorceress. I just loved the aesthetic, the vibe and the feeling that the Dark Elves (specifically the females) had. It took more than a decade to get plastic Witch Elves but it was worth the wait. And it the new Morathi is stunning. And the fact that GW gave me an army of the models I loved and then expanded it with the drop dead gorgeous Khinerai and Melusai kits is just fantastic!

All my other forces (ok maybe not the Darklings and Scourge runners but the rest) are mainly for the lore and rules. Mixed Chaos, Mixed Death and Mixed Order are great fun to think about and play with the models are cool too. But when in comes to Warhammer the truth is I'm all about those Witches 😛

Edited by zedatkinszed

Stormcast, because I love paladins and huge figures in heavy armor swinging man-sized weapons. Their aesthetic is close to Warcraft and Diablo, also things I love. Plus dragons.

Slaves to Darkness, because the Chaos Warrior has always been 'the' definitive model for Warhammer in my head ever since I was a child.

Nurgle, because it's gross and adorable at the same time. Basically Garbage Pail Kids the army. Bonus points for being so easy to paint because even the mistakes make sense!

Death, because legions of skeletons marching through the realms thousands-wide is an awesome mental image. Seeing the model for Nagash is what got me back into the hobby in the first place.

Troggoths, because they're big, fun to paint, and hit like a truck. I rarely win playing Troggherd, but I always have a great time, especially when my Dankhold buddy whomps someone for 15 wounds in one go.

Beasts of Chaos, because it's really fun to play the bad guys from Diablo 3 and just throw hordes of bodies at your opponent. Plus their lore is great, especially how they view the Chaos Gods as not 'true' Chaos.

Bonesplittaz, because a hundred Orruks in loincloths screaming constantly is the most Orruk-y thing I can imagine.

Edited by Euphanism

What's better than a dwarf?
A flying dwarf.

What's better than a flying dwarf?

A flying pirate dwarf.

What's better than a flying pirate dwarf?

A flying steampunk pirate dwarf!!!! 

I can't think anything more epic than that. Maybe a Rock-Star Zombie riding a T-REX over a Flying Giant Shark with Lasers (wink-wink)

• Like 4

I like humans going to to toe with unspeakable horrors, and occasionally coming out on top.

Actual humans, not 10ft tall semi-angels cast in Sigmarite with ridiculous shoulderpads.

I also have a weakspot for flashy looking soldiers.

Freeguild it is!

• Like 5

On 7/2/2019 at 8:24 AM, Planar said:

I love Ironjawz for not allowing me to take myself (or my "generalship")  too seriously. It is impossible to claim strategic potential when you command green simpleton hulks who like to rush forward and smash things. I love orks in general for always being the narrative disruption to the grim worlds GW weaves. There you have almighty Archaon of ultimate badassery and then suddenly an angry ork appears in the story and hand him over his ass. Twice. What's not to like 😃

That' actually what makes me struggle with my other army, Nighthaunt. These guys are way too serious, way too grim. But I love to play them for their non-straightforward playstyle (very refreshing after the linear IJ) and I absolutely love the models. 

Perhaps you should try the Gloomspite Gitz then. Quite less linear than the Ironjawz and still not taking themselves too seriously. That's why I am transferring my old Battle for Skull Pass goblins to round bases; it's still the same wacky, fungi-infused craziness, finally given the complete army treatment they always deserved IMHO. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Galvainn said:

Perhaps you should try the Gloomspite Gitz then. Quite less linear than the Ironjawz and still not taking themselves too seriously. That's why I am transferring my old Battle for Skull Pass goblins to round bases; it's still the same wacky, fungi-infused craziness, finally given the complete army treatment they always deserved IMHO. 

Yes! Probably my next army after I finish painting my Nighthaunt :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

I like humans going to to toe with unspeakable horrors, and occasionally coming out on top.

Loved the humans for a long time, but what really got me was when I tried playing Freeguild in a small narrative campaign at the local GW.

The other factions fought for control of realmgates, ancient artefacts and the fate of the realms. My guys were caught in the middle, leaving me with objectives such as "keep the enemy out of the village until the people can evacuate" and "secure and defend this small caravan of refugees fleeing the khorne army". Hell, at one point I risked losing a game to save the last pistolier, who'd gotten stuck behind the Ironjawz lines.

At the end, the remnants of the Salzunde Cityguard held a realmgate desperately, keeping it open for as long as possible, every second another soldier's child saved. The last to fall saw the realmgate flicker and close as the Change-magos corrupted it, but they died without regret. The city was already empty, their families looking down on them from Azyr.

The Tzeentch player won the campaign, achieving his final objective. I, however, won what I'd been playing all along: the B-plot filled with all the heart you'd ever need. Stuck with the brave souls ever since.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

The Skaven are such Saturday morning cartoon villains and are so funny. They blow themselves up like their kit's fresh from ACME, they backstab each other as a matter of course and if (when) I lose, I can blame someone else and have my Arch-Warlock shake his fist and squeak, "You haven't seen the last of me-me!" They're like something out of a Terry Pratchett novel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Fisherdwarf said:

Loved the humans for a long time, but what really got me was when I tried playing Freeguild in a small narrative campaign at the local GW.

The other factions fought for control of realmgates, ancient artefacts and the fate of the realms. My guys were caught in the middle, leaving me with objectives such as "keep the enemy out of the village until the people can evacuate" and "secure and defend this small caravan of refugees fleeing the khorne army". Hell, at one point I risked losing a game to save the last pistolier, who'd gotten stuck behind the Ironjawz lines.

At the end, the remnants of the Salzunde Cityguard held a realmgate desperately, keeping it open for as long as possible, every second another soldier's child saved. The last to fall saw the realmgate flicker and close as the Change-magos corrupted it, but they died without regret. The city was already empty, their families looking down on them from Azyr.

The Tzeentch player won the campaign, achieving his final objective. I, however, won what I'd been playing all along: the B-plot filled with all the heart you'd ever need. Stuck with the brave souls ever since.

That sounds awesome! I hope I'll have a chance to do a narrative campaign soon

1 hour ago, Kirjava13 said:

The Skaven are such Saturday morning cartoon villains and are so funny. They blow themselves up like their kit's fresh from ACME, they backstab each other as a matter of course and if (when) I lose, I can blame someone else and have my Arch-Warlock shake his fist and squeak, "You haven't seen the last of me-me!" They're like something out of a Terry Pratchett novel.

Skyre Inc. would like to make all potential customer/victims aware that they are not not a branch of ACME. All Skyre Inc. products are guaranteed/confirmed lifetime high high standards of production/construction. Any Skaven knows that Skyre Inc. makes bestest/biggest of weapons for war! 

With Clan Skyre Inc. products you gets/eats the roadrunner and the road! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Skyre Inc. would like to make all potential customer/victims aware that they are not not a branch of ACME. All Skyre Inc. products are guaranteed/confirmed lifetime high high standards of production/construction. Any Skaven knows that Skyre Inc. makes bestest/biggest of weapons for war! 

With Clan Skyre Inc. products you gets/eats the roadrunner and the road! 

Morskratch waved the piece of paper at Bitterslink. "See-see, idiot? Skryre Inc. guarantee-promise flawless performance or our warpstone back-back! You will regret-lament doubting my-my wisdom, wretch. With these new weapon-guns, victory over the hated Clan Fekulent is assured-certain!"

"Of course, mighty-brilliant clawlord, of course. Fool-fool was I to suspect-doubt your genius," genuflected Bitterslink urgently, who had long ago learned his lesson when it came to not contradicting Morskratch. He had learned that lesson so well, he could have passed an exam in it, as his crooked snout, shortened tail and well-bitten ears testified. 

Morskratch eagerly started crowbarring open the crates of weapons the slaves had finally finished piling up. Warpfire throwers, jezzails, warp grinders- no poison wind mortars, they dare-dare? He had paid for three!- ratling guns, one smaller crate of automatic cheese cutters he had ordered on a whim ("Clawlords who bought warp grinders also bought..."). He saved the best for last: a smaller, experimental doomsphere he was looking forward to detonating at the heart of Clan Fekulent's warren-fort. 

Morskratch didn't notice that Bitterslink had legged it. He was too excited by the doomsphere. So excited that he dropped it, at which point he learned that it had perhaps not been packaged as securely as it might have been.

Much, much later, after the debris had been cleared and the walls half-heartedly hosed down, new clawlord Bitterslink reflected that, as second-in-command, it might have been his duty to point out that the Skryre Inc. guarantee paper had been singed and blackened, with most of the ends burned away. 

He didn't reflect for very long, admittedly.

Edited by Kirjava13
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

I play mixed Order Since the former High Elves are split into several mini factions, but i restrict myself with Elf models.

I love then because of the discipline, the order, the martial pride. They arent just good at what they do, they are the Best at it Their beasts are interesting and mythical.

I love the fact that Phoenix soldiers know their fate and their future and do not speak about it nor flee the battlefield. I love the proud princes on the best horses in the land and the Eldritch mages riding Dragons.

Even their messangers and scouts are interesting with the Skycutters, charruiots with freaking lions and Shadow Warriors!

I wrote the lore of my army and i am really happy about it. Even without BT i manage to hold my ground in the middle of the board on my local meta! 

• Like 1

Beasts of Chaos because I love throwing down hords of ungors on the field then sacrificing some to only summon more ungors. Also the ambush mechanic is really fun and good for messing up your opponents plan. I really love the giant most units and their models. they were also the army I played the most in total war Warhammer and that's what got me into Warhammer in the first place.