The Rumour Thread

22 hours ago, Gothmaug said:

Forest thehe huh? Cold, dark, conifer-dominant boreal forest? You could go with a  wendigo theme for the gorgers pretty easily. Or at least use one as a unit leader. Based on the stories and mythos from the native north American tribes in what is present day Canada. Gaunt, starving creatures with (or wearing) Caribou, moose or elk skulls. There's a ton of wendigo models out there on Etsy and other resin modeling sites if you need models or bits. 

AFAIK, these tribes have asked non-natives to stop using the wendigo as a cryptid or fictitious monster. Since it is part of their spiritual beliefs, they consider it a closed aspect of their culture. With GW's track record, it would be better to not use this legend I think. Especially since basically all Western depictions of the spirit--especially as an actual creature not a possession--are wrong.

https://www.backstoryradio.org/blog/the-mythology-and-misrepresentation-of-the-windigo/

https://openjournals.bsu.edu/dlr/article/download/DLR.7.0.101-112/1771/ (short PDF)

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, madmac said:

Honestly this. If there was a 40K army I thought I'd be into, it was Eldar with updated models. So far, with a few exceptions (The sniper bikes are silly but look cool) the much anticipated Eldar overhaul people have been waiting 10-15 years for...is just so dull to me. The new plastic models are a bit crisper in their details, the posing is slightly more varied, they have more bare heads, but other than that they seem barely distinguishable from the old ones.

Which in my opinion, is exactly what Eldar needed. Jes Goodwin hit absolute gold when he designed the Eldar like 30 years ago. The designs are excellent. 15-25 year old finecast models are not excellent. They didn’t need a drastic redesign, they needed up to date plastic models. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I understand it, I think that for me personally the negativity is less about 40k vs AOS more Imperium vs everything else at GW combined. Not to say that this wheel is one hundred percent something from the imperium but it is just astonishing how predictable and uninteresting so much of their releases have been. New hero with power armour and new weapon load out. Even on the chaos side of things they still focus on Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Knights, give us more cultists, mutants and demons! So even though I have never liked the Space Elf concept I am excited every monday to see the new Eldar Models... now triple excited as I imagine building them as a Frieza Force themed army.

I agree. I'm so damn happy for Eldar players and Necrons and Orks for that matter because I dont remember a time when Xenos were shown so much love. It is the Imperium side of 40K that is just frustrating to see dominate most articles.

59 minutes ago, Ragest said:

I'm on both sides there. 

I love alarith (my favourite temple) and the crazy zoo we already have and hope it gets even weirder (still wanting my hippo), but eldars have a definited and strong aesthetic that is iconic in GW's ecosystem. You don't need to change what is working well and they are revamping eldars, not making a full new range like with Lumineth.

All fingers and toes crossed for Lumineth Hippos, I need them to mount Ogors upon them!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, novakai said:

It probably for Imperial guard if I had to guess

More consistent with Genestealer Cult vehicle designs. GSC got that dirt bike/buggy look to their fast vehicles.

While I appreciate the faith in the great four-armed emperor I would call this another xenos release. Wouldn't be terribly surprised to see the odd GSC and Custodes release appear in the RE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Hey, but aren't you all excited that 40K is putting their dedicated ressources into rehashing the same old designs they've been putting out for well over a decade now? 

Sorry, I saw the 'new' Dark Reapers for (A)Eldar(i) yesterday and was really bored and disappointed. But I see that now they are really stepping it up with the creativity by rumour-engining flipping Imperial beach buggies with all new and thrilling ... tires. So that we all know that the drought in AOS is at least worth it for our dear big brother wargame system. 

You ask the 40k crowd they'd probably say the same thing in reverse- "aren't you glad our Good Elf update is refreshingly lacking in dumb giant hats and hammers etc"

Some aesthetic designs are just good, like skaven, and don't need to be radically changed. No need to add longhorns where none are needed

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

More consistent with Genestealer Cult vehicle designs. GSC got that dirt bike/buggy look to their fast vehicles.

While I appreciate the faith in the great four-armed emperor I would call this another xenos release. Wouldn't be terribly surprised to see the odd GSC and Custodes release appear in the RE.

I mean they just got their book so I wouldn’t put them on the radar for more stuff TBH at least in the time frame of a not delayed RE.

but then again it so broad RE it can be anything really, even a terrain piece for KT

Edit: also the very accurate 40K said that IG where getting stuff so that why guess them 

Edited by novakai

10 minutes ago, Ratboy genius said:

You ask the 40k crowd they'd probably say the same thing in reverse- "aren't you glad our Good Elf update is refreshingly lacking in dumb giant hats and hammers etc"

Some aesthetic designs are just good, like skaven, and don't need to be radically changed. No need to add longhorns where none are needed

If we kept on copying the same basic stuff over and over again, a faction like Skaven would have probably never been invented in the first place. 

Orks, Chaos and Undead are just good. No need to add rat ninjas and evil rat scientists when none are needed. 

How about another example?

Old Dark Eldar Mandrakes:

gw-99060112023-0.jpg.77477e2e48d1f80f832f1e7e59d64f76.jpg

New, reimagined design:

99810112006_MandrakesNEW_01.jpg.91aacf3169cb38669337c2c750067937.jpg

I know which one I prefer, but to each their own, I guess.

And Alarith Stoneguard are just amazing models. Fight me. 

• Like 9

I'd rather an updated design just modernise the old sculpt and therefore slot nicely into my existing army, rather than radically overhaul and look out of place next to both the other units and my existing version it's replacing.

New units? Sure, go crazy. But an updated sculpt should be just that imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EntMan said:

Nah, I reckon Squats will be thier own faction outside the Imperium, not a sub faction of Imp Guards.

GW seems keen to organise everything under Imperium/Chaos/Xenos these days, so I'd be surprised if they're not part of the Imperium. Plus they can sell them to all the Marine players as Allies.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

GW seems keen to organise everything under Imperium/Chaos/Xenos these days, so I'd be surprised if they're not part of the Imperium. Plus they can sell them to all the Marine players as Allies.

Yeah, if they do ever actually bring Squats back that'll probably be how they do it.

And it'll be a boring wasted opportunity. I want vengeful Squats out for revenge on the Imps for abandoning them to the Nids.

(although mainly I just want Squats)

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Yeah, if they do ever actually bring Squats back that'll probably be how they do it.

And it'll be a boring wasted opportunity. I want vengeful Squats out for revenge on the Imps for abandoning them to the Nids.

(although mainly I just want Squats)

Same, same.

If the Squats absolutely have to be shoehorned into the Imperium, I'd like fighting between them and the 'mainline' to be a somewhat common occurrence just because by far my biggest frustration as a Guard player is that 90% of my tabletop games end up being against another Imperial faction, usually Space Marines.

People like to say "Imperial infighting happens" but Cadians don't throwdown against the Ultramarines in half their battles and said infighting is usually very rare and tied almost exclusively to historical events or done by traitors who just turncoated five minutes ago.

One of the things I like about AoS is that the vast majority of factions are given some excuse as to why they'd fight both members of their own GA and their own faction. Hell, even Stormcast vs Stormcast got the 'VR Simulator Arena' justification, which was a nice touch I thought.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

If we kept on copying the same basic stuff over and over again, a faction like Skaven would have probably never been invented in the first place. 

Orks, Chaos and Undead are just good. No need to add rat ninjas and evil rat scientists when none are needed. 

New, reimagined design:

You don't need to change things for the sake of changing things. Look at necron flayed ones- the old metal ones were considered superior aesthetically to the resin ones for example. Just because you can change an aesthetic doesn't make it a good change.  It doesn't matter if stoneguard are amazing models or not- you are obviously on one side of the fence- but the point was that not everyone has the same opinion on what a good update is, and such alarith stoneguard are not good or bad as much as the new craftworld are good or bad.

I mean other than them being elves, which are always bad of course 

Edited by Ratboy genius
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ratboy genius said:

You don't need to change things for the sake of changing things. Look at necron flayed ones- the old metal ones were considered superior aesthetically to the resin ones for example. Just because you can change an aesthetic doesn't make it a good change.  It doesn't matter if stoneguard are amazing models or not- you are obviously on one side of the fence- but the point was that not everyone has the same opinion on what a good update is, and such alarith stoneguard are not good or bad as much as the new craftworld are good or bad.

I mean other than them being elves, which are always bad of course 

I didn't say that Dark Reapers were 'bad' models. I said that I was disappointed with how little they had changed, and I think I made clear that this was a subjective evaluation.

And you on the other hand can't say that you consider their original design superior when they never got a reimagined version in the first place. They could have come up with something that looked different from their last incarnation and we both would have liked. But we can't say that for sure because the designers chose to not take a risk in the first place.

Which pretty much brings us back to AOS, where designers are choosing to not take a chance and just give us underwhelming foot heroes since Kruleboyz and the dragons have released.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

As someone who played Dark Eldar during that switch it more than just a model update, it was a complete redesign of the entire model range and lore. The mandrake mini was a relic even back then (they were all mono pose metal models). I still have a unit of them... Still unpainted because, yeah, even then they were pretty bad.

The faction itself had next to nothing written about them other than, "they're sadistic eldar who are scary pirates", so the artists, writers, and designers pretty much had a free reign to do whatever they wanted. A clean slate, if you will. Before the 7th edition codex we literally had no official lore on DE society, scale and scope of Commorragh, even the bare minimum we all have come to expect wasn't there, and the model range was pretty meh (to be kind). The mandrake were one of the units which were completely reimagined. The results are hard to argue with since the "new" Drukhari models are fantastic IMO.

What I'm saying is, not the best example to use when comparing to the Aeldari update. I do not think any Aeldari players were upset over the aesthetics as much as being forced to use quite old looking models and resin kits. Point is, sometimes it is better to simply update and modernise the range than try to reinvent the wheel. That said, for someone who clearly enjoy LRL then, yes, Aeldari is quite a departure in terms of aesthetics. 😆

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

I didn't say that Dark Reapers were 'bad' models. I said that I was disappointed with how little they had changed, and I think I made clear that this was a subjective evaluation.

And you on the other hand can't say that you consider their original design superior when they never got a reimagined version in the first place. They could have come up with something that looked different from their last incarnation and we both would have liked. But we can't say that for sure because the designers chose to not take a risk in the first place.

Which pretty much brings us back to AOS, where designers are choosing to not take a chance and just give us underwhelming foot heroes since Kruleboyz and the dragons have released.

I can absolutely say that the original craftworld eldar aesthetic is extremely solid and I'm glad they kept it. What else would there be to say about it? I can't compare it to an old version and say one is better than the other because they kept the same aesthetic and just improved the execution. I hope they do more of that. Iconic designs shouldn't be left to rot so that they can come up with bigger and wackier hats that half the playerbase thinks is awful.

"Which pretty much brings us back to AOS, where designers are choosing to not take a chance and just give us underwhelming foot heroes since Kruleboyz and the dragons have released."

Having a glut of underwhelming foot heroes has nothing to do with sticking to existing aesthetics and everything to do with gw not doing anything more exciting than a token foot hero. There are dozens of existing model designs which would be extremely exciting to see an update for, and no new aesthetic shifts are required to do so either.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

gw-99060112023-0.jpg.77477e2e48d1f80f832f1e7e59d64f76.jpg

New, reimagined design:

99810112006_MandrakesNEW_01.jpg.91aacf3169cb38669337c2c750067937.jpg

Maybe it's because I used to collect Dark Eldar before the 2011 overhaul, and my teen self was obsessed with Dawn of War Soulstorm which included Dark Eldar for the first time, but those crazy Tom of Finland elves are dope and no I will not change my mind

• Like 1

@pnkdth @Ratboy genius 

Yeah, I used to play Craftworld Eldar as well as Dark Eldar too during these days. Dark Eldar were more or less my 'first love' in wargaming and I switched to Eldar last minute because I liked them nearly as much while their codex provided more diversity and different play styles. I had the old Dark Reapers, Howling Banshees, hell, all the aspect warriors, many of whom also had animal designs on their helmets. Yet, here I am, over 20 years later, and I still think it would have been cool if they had tried something that tied together their old aesthetic roots with a new and more dynamic approach. 

It's fine if you don't agree with me. Everyone has their own tastes. And I may come across as slightly salty right now, but I'd very much appreciate if you argued in such a way that I don't feel like my opinion as someone who was interested in potentially getting back into Eldar and is disappointed right now is invalid. Thank you for considering.

Edited by Maogrim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Same, same.

If the Squats absolutely have to be shoehorned into the Imperium, I'd like fighting between them and the 'mainline' to be a somewhat common occurrence just because by far my biggest frustration as a Guard player is that 90% of my tabletop games end up being against another Imperial faction, usually Space Marines.

People like to say "Imperial infighting happens" but Cadians don't throwdown against the Ultramarines in half their battles and said infighting is usually very rare and tied almost exclusively to historical events or done by traitors who just turncoated five minutes ago.

One of the things I like about AoS is that the vast majority of factions are given some excuse as to why they'd fight both members of their own GA and their own faction. Hell, even Stormcast vs Stormcast got the 'VR Simulator Arena' justification, which was a nice touch I thought.

Squat could just be an Imperial army while still being their own thing though("Codex:Squat"),their homeworlds were regrouped in the imperium but probably have a great degree of autonomy.
Also tbh, i'd still prefer them in the imperial guard with some units than not seeing them again.
Imperium has a lot of ifighting, it's not uncommon to see guard vs guard or some other strange things....it's not just traitors but even misconceptions of political battle or some other "stoopid senseless action"(see for example Inquisitorial or  Ecclesiarchy infighting).

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson