The Rumour Thread

14 minutes ago, Lord Kroak said:

Valrak also said there's going to be a huge Cathay release for The Old World, with many of the units from Total War: Warhammer making an appearance. Kinda sounds too good to be true, but he sounded confident!

He didn't mention AoS other than to make a joke about it only having 5 players.

Our seer Whitefang laughed about Cathay rumors !

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, cyrus said:

Our seer Whitefang laughed about Cathay rumors !

IIRC, they've said laugh means they are (most likely) "not sure" but kinda positive/we shouldn't be looking THAT much into their reactions.

Edited by Asbestress
  • Like 1

Can I just say I'm pretty sad GW have yet again missed what makes Stormcast epic in the lore - thunder and lightning. 

AoS1 stormcast looked like blood angels sanguinary guard. Just golden marines

AoS2 stormcast were wizard paladins, which is cool and all.

AoS2.5 stormcast were sort of tribal monster hunters.

AoS3 thincast looked like medieval knights

AoS4 stormcast so far look like they're leaning into death, skull helmets, etc. 

They had every opportunity to go full Thor Ragnarok with them, especially as the lore points toward them being more elemental and stormy as they lose the plot. I can't believe how poorly thought out the design for them has been so far.

Please, for the love of zeus, give us lightning coming from weapons, warriors borne aloft by the storm, throwing lightning bolts, arriving on the battlefield surrounded by crackling lightning. 

The sad thing is I'll probably have to wait until 5th edition for actual STORMcast, unless a 3d sculptor makes something that is visually closer to the lore.

6 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Can I just say I'm pretty sad GW have yet again missed what makes Stormcast epic in the lore - thunder and lightning. 

They had every opportunity to go full Thor Ragnarok with them, especially as the lore points toward them being more elemental and stormy as they lose the plot. I can't believe how poorly thought out the design for them has been so far.

Please, for the love of zeus, give us lightning coming from weapons, warriors borne aloft by the storm, throwing lightning bolts, arriving on the battlefield surrounded by crackling lightning. 

The sad thing is I'll probably have to wait until 5th edition for actual STORMcast, unless a 3d sculptor makes something that is visually closer to the lore.

We don't know about this. Maybe in the follow-up wave there's something crazier. To me crazier means hardest to assemble and hardest to paint, so it would make sense to move it out of the launch box for the reasons that we've talked deeply in the different chats about why Stormcasts are in the launch box every edition.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

We don't know about this. Maybe in the follow-up wave there's something crazier. To me crazier means hardest to assemble and hardest to paint, so it would make sense to move it out of the launch box for the reasons that we've talked deeply in the different chats about why Stormcasts are in the launch box every edition.

Hopefully so, what we've seen so far has me super disappointed. Has anyone ever looked at lord relictors and thought - they're definitely the coolest part of the range? So weird they decided to build into that side of things. Gw in the absence of ideas just defaults to making things look gothic and churchy.

Just now, Jagged Red Lines said:

Hopefully so, what we've seen so far has me super disappointed. Has anyone ever looked at lord relictors and thought - they're definitely the coolest part of the range? So weird they decided to build into that side of things. Gw in the absence of ideas just defaults to making things look gothic and churchy.

European/catholic religious iconography is tried and tested, I think it looks good, by no means original but when has GW ever been

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Has anyone ever looked at lord relictors and thought - they're definitely the coolest part of the range?

Well I dit. He was my favorite mini from the first starter set (Retributors and Vandus close seconds). The Stardrake and the Knight-Questor were also great kits from the 1st Ed. Stormcasts. 

Yeah I'm all in favor of the new Thuderstrike design and its better details and proportions, so I was very glad to see the Questor band for Warcry and the new Ionus on Draconith (even if his armour is less evocative than its first incarnation in AOS1). 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

I'm with you there, tbh. I was fully expecting this wave to have shades of "Grimdark Stormcast," sure, but I figured it'd be served even-handedly with "lightning" and "lightning-ghiest." There has been so much written about "what happens to these guys when they get weird" and, so far, these don't suggest any of that is going to hit the tabletop anytime soon. Like, why do the new winged guys have fire wings? Not feathered like the other new model, not art-deco cyborg enhancements like the old guys... just sort of halfway between and "on fire." Recent Necron models make it painfully clear that GW is more than capable of sculpting great-looking lightning that physically holds up models.... where is that for Stormcast?

Part of me wonders if Stormcast are, behind the scenes, torn between what they "should" be in-lore and what they "should" be as "Fantasy Space Marines" that serve as the posterboys of AoS. If people are exploding into lightning, some at GW could feel that limits their appeal as a canvas for beginners: better to make them vanilla "ultramarines" than something "too specific" like blood or dark angels. Despite the fact that stormcast, as a thing, have some very defined aesthetics and themes, we haven't often seen GW double down on those themes. Like you said; we've got Wizards and Hunters and Reboots instead! 

As it stands now, it seems less like this wave is going to be "cool new ideas about broken stormcast" and "all your favs fought much too hard so now they're getting rebooted into thunderstrike armor." The bit about "ALL the prosecutors fought way too hard or got eaten by the sky so they're all in this chamber now :( " seems to support this, and paves the way for "ALL the healthy Sacrosanct went back to Azyr, but the over-forged ones are here in new thunderstrike armor to replace them"

Which is a way less fun concept than "THE LIGHTNING MAN"

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

I think this is exact the reason why GW made the Mortal Realms so broad and little defined.

I recall them saying as much early on in the AoS days! I feel like every tabletop game should take notes; the Mortal Realms are pretty much a perfect fantasy sandbox for me personally. Two people can have entire maps and countries and continents of stuff on two completely different planets and always have the open excuse to fight someone as "ah man one of us found a hidden Realmgate." 

In WHF, one usually needed to invent some sort of reason to have the Tomb Kings leave Khemri or the Lizardmen leaving Lustria: in AoS it's "newly discovered portal" and the setting is written in a way that doesn't make that feel silly

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kronos said:

Wondering if someone could explain, because It may be a gap in my experience.

What is the overlap between Wrestling and AoS. I’d rather see some in depth interviews with the design team, concept artists and game development team. Even a Game with some of the Warhammer TV usuals. 

But thats just me. 

As an AoS painter & huge AEW mark, I am the overlap & it was specifically made to market the new box to me. Sorry everybody, that's my bad! 😄

• Haha 9

25 minutes ago, Pizzaprez said:

In WHF, one usually needed to invent some sort of reason to have the Tomb Kings leave Khemri or the Lizardmen leaving Lustria: in AoS it's "newly discovered portal" and the setting is written in a way that doesn't make that feel silly

It’s funny, and great, how people can have such differing opinions but still basically love the same thing. 

Coming up with a narrative reason for an army that is far away to fight in the Old World was one of my favorite things. It really builds a story.
I see AoS as one huge Deus ex Machina. “How do they get there? I don’t know, a realmgate or something” is just so unfulfilling for me. In my opinion AoS still suffers from being a completely incoherent setting with no sense of place or time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Vomikron said:

It’s funny, and great, how people can have such differing opinions but still basically love the same thing. 

Coming up with a narrative reason for an army that is far away to fight in the Old World was one of my favorite things. It really builds a story.
I see AoS as one huge Deus ex Machina. “How do they get there? I don’t know, a realmgate or something” is just so unfulfilling for me. In my opinion AoS still suffers from being a completely incoherent setting with no sense of place or time.

Maybe the sense of place is tricky, outside of some very defined areas, but I think AoS works pretty well in terms of giving us dates in their different stories. And lately they are even moving some stuff around to make things fit like Callis and Toll's longevity which is now not that much as they moved a book in the timeline to make it fit with their newest books.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Well I think it's fine if the Ruination CHAMBER is Death-based and doesn't really have a lightning aesthetic, but I do agree with you that we really need the other Chamber replacements to stick to the lightning einherjar vibe. I can see the redo of Sacrosanct heavily leaning into a lightning wizard-paladin aesthetic.

We've seen plenty of it stay around for the first wave of Thunderstrike models: Annihilators and Chariot are likened to the crashing of a storm, Vigilors zap arrows that light up targets, Bastian and the dragons and the Imperatant have lightning ranged attacks.

New kits after Dominion were:
Knight Relictor
Stormdrake Guard
Bastian
Vanquishers
Vigilors
Chariot
2h Annihilators

edit: Krondys and Karazai released as well

So we can assume 5 units and 2 heroes coming after the launch box. Easily enough room for lightning gheists. Vandus OR Astreia are likely the 4e named hero.

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

the lexi page doesn't even mention how they were defeated originally lol

I feel like I'm contractually obligated to say magic, but that's the least likely scenario. I think the C'Tan and/or Old Ones did but there's no clear answer. Originally, IIRC, the Enslavers ensnared the weaker servant races (like Eldar) of the Old Ones and became a threat to the Old Ones themselves that way, ultimately killing most of them or at least making them leave that part of the galaxy. In the newer lore, I think the Old Ones had a war with the Enslavers and C'Tan at the very same time, which resulted in the Old Ones dying/leaving, the Enslavers being fought back and the C'Tan, in their weakened state, being overthrown by the Necrontyr, who then went for a nap as the galaxy was kinda dead. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Well I think it's fine if the Ruination CHAMBER is Death-based and doesn't really have a lightning aesthetic, but I do agree with you that we really need the other Chamber replacements to stick to the lightning einherjar vibe. I can see the redo of Sacrosanct heavily leaning into a lightning wizard-paladin aesthetic.

We've seen plenty of it stay around for the first wave of Thunderstrike models: Annihilators and Chariot are likened to the crashing of a storm, Vigilors zap arrows that light up targets, Bastian and the dragons and the Imperatant have lightning ranged attacks.

Knight Relictor
Stormdrake Guard
Bastian
Vanquishers
Vigilors
Chariot
2h Annihilators

So we can assume 5 units and 2 heroes coming after the launch box. Easily enough room for lightning gheists. Vandus OR Astreia are likely the 4e named hero.

Considering that Astreia is part of the Sacrosanct she will be gone. Maybe something related to her death by Ushoran.

18 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Knight Relictor
Stormdrake Guard
Bastian
Vanquishers
Vigilors
Chariot
2h Annihilators

Also the 2 Draconith Prince 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Knight Relictor
Stormdrake Guard
Bastian
Vanquishers
Vigilors
Chariot
2h Annihilators

Given the main colour scheme is that of the hallowed knights maybe Gardus will get a new mini? His current one is really nice but notably it isn't thunderstrike

1 hour ago, Vomikron said:

I mean they always defined the reasoning and method of how some of the faction are present in every realm and in most continents from Garriorns, established portals & migration paths but like whatever 

29 minutes ago, Luperci said:

Given the main colour scheme is that of the hallowed knights maybe Gardus will get a new mini? His current one is really nice but notably it isn't thunderstrike

Gardus model isn't being retired

that and they made a lore point that he want to be the last HK to done the Thunderstrike to ensure everyone of his brothers and sisters cross the not-Rubicon safely first 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Dragon-knight77 said:

I mean they always defined the reasoning and method of how some of the faction are present in every realm and in most continents from Garriorns, established portals & migration paths but like whatever 

Honestly, I think 40k is worse about this stuff. The lore tries to present the galaxy as a huge place it takes years to cross but somehow all the major factions just go anywhere they want whenever its convenient. Like Marneus Calgar somehow immediately after the Plague Wars in Ultramar goes to Vigilus, which is on the literal other side of the galaxy, with no indication that much time has passed. And in addition to their forces on Vigilus, somehow the Ultramarines are both fighting the Necrons in the Nephilim sector in Segementum Ultima and the Tyranids in Segmentum Solar, all while still somehow keeping their bases in Ultramar manned. 

Edited by BarakUrbaz
  • Like 1

I love the shaggy gryph-hound. I hope there are more.

Anyway, big fan of both Kip and Claudio. I don't normally like celebrity promotional stuff at all but I reckon this should be really fun.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BarakUrbaz said:

Honestly, I think 40k is worse about this stuff. The lore tries to present the galaxy as a huge place it takes years to cross but somehow all the major factions just go anywhere they want whenever its convenient. Like Marneus Calgar somehow immediately after the Plague Wars in Ultramar goes to Vigilus, which is on the literal other side of the galaxy, with no indication that much time has passed. And in addition to their forces on Vigilus, somehow the Ultramarines are both fighting the Necrons in the Nephilim sector in Segementum Ultima and the Tyranids in Segmentum Solar, all while still somehow keeping their bases in Ultramar manned. 

Definitely agree here. 40k’s main problem seems to be trying to have a narrative. You can’t possibly involve all factions all the time in another event that has the potential to destroy the universe but then doesn’t. 
40k was far more interesting as a static setting full of backwards psychos all killing each other for a reason none of them can remember. The Hatfields and McCoys writ large. Now it’s a jumble of desperate attempts at making memorable characters even though, spoiler alert, every single character is essentially interchangeable and just throw in another Primarch for some inexplicable reason. 

but hey, I still love it.

So um, I haven’t looked at this thread in like 65 pages, and I don’t think I have it in me to catch up.

There any notable developments on the rumor front the last couple weeks?