The Rumour Thread

32 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Yeah, I mean that's something where the setting truly shines - they could have thousands of Mordheims. A cursed/corrupted/whatever backwater/formerly important town/city isn't a difficult thing to imagine in the Mortal Realms. Blight City might be too Skaven-centric, it might hinder its appeal (like focussing on just Chaos so much) to a broader audience but let's see what they come up with. I love the idea behind Kill Team but find the ruleset atrocious, I've heard only good things about WarCry but never played it, so I'd be happy to join that in a new iteration.

Warcry is brilliant, really simple to play and great fun. The community are very friendly, so helpful and there are brilliant free resources like Warcrier.net which has a solid list builder, all the rules and records everything about the game and is updated pretty much the moment anything new comes out (Pyre and Flood teams ready on listbuilder with full rules on pre order day for example). If you already have AoS models and terrain then you already have everything you need to start without buying more.

Edited by Vaellas
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I would but my group needs a little push to be interested, hence why I hope for a new cool edition to help me with convincing.

Honestly, Warcry currently is already really good. Quick to set up, takes little space, and once you get your head round the core mechanics, easy to explain to people and quick to play. So much less complicated than the Kill Team, for example.

• Like 4

They soft abandoned the idea of Warcry being self-contained to warbands of Chaos weirdos fighting in the Eightpoints fairly early on in the game's lifecycle and categorically abandoned it with the Ghur redesign. I can't see them doing that just to then immediately zoom it in again thematically and make it a Mordheim/Necromunda style game. A Kill Team model, where the setting is wide open and warbands are clearly corresponding to specific AoS factions to the point that the game as a whole could be viewed as a backdoor for small splash releases for a parent game, is much more likely and something they already seem to be transitioning towards, going by the makeup of the last two boxes and the revealed new one.

• Like 2

I'm quite happy where warcry currently stands in terms of core gameplay. 

Adding stuff like loadout customization I think it deviates from what warcry is, but I could see some rework on the inventory side of things allowing to carry more stuff on top of the standard equipment.

On the campaing side of things, there the game could be a little more complex and maybe lethal... (its hard to lose band members in a campaing).

To be more like other games (mordheim, necromunda), warcry should stick to a handful of warbands and grow them, but it looks that we are entering seasonal rotation time or AoS replacement units. 

• Like 3

Warcry is the best skirmish game GW ever made. And that is my completely, objectively subjective opinion on that matter. :P

But I have no doubt they will change rules for the next edition, because they need something really new to justify us to buy books again.

As for the setting, my only sure bet is that it will be in Aqshy, because Warcry follows the current setting of AoS. It was Ghur in 3rd, it will be on fire in 4th. :D

They may indeed bring back some ruins, I don't mind it. I'm not sure it will be in Blight City itself, though. I'd rather think they will make a separate place for Warcry that is not exactly explored specifically in AoS, like the Gnarlwood.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, OkayestDM said:

Part of me will be sad if Paladins are gone for good. They were easily my favorite Stormcast units.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they're departure is meant to make room for the new Ruination models. Given the heavy armor and overall theme and tone of the units from the trailer, that would make sense to me.

Also, I am desperately hoping that the updated Prosecutors will finally have an elite warscroll rather than the lackluster ones they've had to contend with over the last few editions. Love the models, and the Thunderstrike redesign looks very promising, but I hope they're treated as a proper heavyweight unit going forward.

The new unit in the cinematic trailer are Paladins from the Ruination Chamber. They have the Paladin Conclave symbol (the crescent moon) just like Annihilators.

Retributors, Decimators, and Protectors were sold in a box titled "Paladins" which was a bit misleading but appropriate at the time since they were the only Paladin Conclave units, but now there are others.

Annihilators with Meteoric Grandhammers

image.png.789c7a2ab506c8581597dacfa2729c4b.png

It's interesting how similar the new unit is to Bastian. Cloak draped over one shoulder, large animal-themed shoulderpad, the raised collar, the sigmar emblem on their right shoulder... Seems like a lot of the same design language.

Lord-Commander Bastian Carthalos

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, PJetski said:

The new unit in the cinematic trailer are Paladins from the Ruination Chamber. They have the Paladin Conclave symbol (the crescent moon) just like Annihilators.

Retributors, Decimators, and Protectors were sold in a box titled "Paladins" which was a bit misleading but appropriate at the time since they were the only Paladin Conclave units, but now there are others.

It's interesting how similar the new unit is to Bastian. Cloak draped over one shoulder, large animal-themed shoulderpad, the raised collar, the sigmar emblem on their right shoulder... Seems like a lot of the same design language.

Good spot on the shoulder. Never noticed that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Ok guys, I can read the room loud and clear. Gotta push my friends in regards to WarCry again. 🫡

It's much easier than pushing them to start AoS too. If they already have an AoS army they can start Warcry immediately.

https://warcrier.net/ is an amazing resource with basically all rules for everything you might need right there, plus a warband builder and nice reference sheets

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I'd really suggest trying out Warcry. The rules are really solid and it doesn't need RPG elements in there in my opinion. It's fun, fast paced, the dedicated warbands are quite well-balanced internally (unless you use min-maxed warbands made from AoS units) and still has a good amount of tactical decisions you can make. Best GW game IMO, especially now that it focuses on the entire AoS setting rather than just chaos.

I actually really hope the 3rd edition Warcry setting is not Blight City. We have so many city/ruins/ruined city focused terrain sets already, and the Gnarlwood with Seraphon ship parts was a big breath of fresh air. My personal hope would be a Skyport or Magmahold with threats from either above or below.

I really hope that GW at some point release the intact builds, hinted by Fang Jr, that were supposed to be released with Season of War: Gallet.

If on top of that we get some sort of wall/ defensive structures like this, we would end being able to build a proper city/ village. I prefer something like that, small chunks building a bigger thing than small hints from this and the other. In that sense, the Boarding Action scenery and Kill Team/ Warcry one is the best direction, IMO.

Caja de inicio definitiva de Warhammer 40,000

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sarouan said:

Warcry is the best skirmish game GW ever made. And that is my completely, objectively subjective opinion on that matter. :P

But I have no doubt they will change rules for the next edition, because they need something really new to justify us to buy books again.

As for the setting, my only sure bet is that it will be in Aqshy, because Warcry follows the current setting of AoS. It was Ghur in 3rd, it will be on fire in 4th. :D

They may indeed bring back some ruins, I don't mind it. I'm not sure it will be in Blight City itself, though. I'd rather think they will make a separate place for Warcry that is not exactly explored specifically in AoS, like the Gnarlwood.

If it is in Aqshy, it is time for an underworld setting. I initially thought about Embergard caves, but would be a bit tricky for everyone to go there. Would be the most touristic city for the rest of the factions, but maybe something else that ends connecting with those caves and the secret about Zenestra, and why there are old wheel symbols there, being solved through the Warcry campaign could be cool.

27 minutes ago, PJetski said:

They look too much like Paladins indeed, but they are moving from 2 hand weapons to 1 hand weapons. Wouldn't surprise me if Paladins end as something just from the lore and those are their replacements from the Paladin conclave. Because, in the end, the Paladin conclave means that they have a bulkier armour (it has its own name). That's why we have units like the Vexillor that has also the crescent moon, but with something else:

Knight-Vexillor

I would love a "Necromunda" style game set within the Mortal Realms. As others have mentioned I think Warcry has pivoted to be a way for units to be released for factions outside their AoS release windows. The mechanics of the game are solid and with the removal of some of the Chaos Warbands, it frees up space to explore other units. 

I have nothing against Underworlds but just see it as the logical area that might see a "replacement" if it's the case that Gw would rather replace a system than start up another one. 

A Necromunda-style system with different seasons set in renowned cities across the realms would be cool. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

They look too much like Paladins indeed, but they are moving from 2 hand weapons to 1 hand weapons. Wouldn't surprise me if Paladins end as something just from the lore and those are their replacements from the Paladin conclave. Because, in the end, the Paladin conclave means that they have a bulkier armour (it has its own name). That's why we have units like the Vexillor that has also the crescent moon, but with something else:

Knight-Vexillor

Not all Paladins wield two-handed weapons. Annihilators, for example.

File:Annihilators M01.jpg

Why do you think they would remove Paladins from the lore when they just added Annihilators and this new Ruination Paladin? The different Conclaves are a big part of the Stormcast design.

13 hours ago, BarakUrbaz said:

I wonder if the somewhat specific names for the Old World factions have something to do with this; Dwarfen Mountain Holds instead of Dwarfs, Empire of Man instead of Empire, Orc and Goblin Tribes instead of Orcs and Goblins etc. 

good catch, I did think it was super weird they named it "Empire of Man" like it was pulled right from 40k. if TOW does end up getting more new kits then I wouldn't be surprised to see the same IP naming (or lots of named characters)

4 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

good catch, I did think it was super weird they named it "Empire of Man" like it was pulled right from 40k. if TOW does end up getting more new kits then I wouldn't be surprised to see the same IP naming (or lots of named characters)

I believe it has always been referred to as the Empire of Man in-universe, even though there are dozens of other Human kingdoms out there and it isn't even the largest human nation (Cathay is, though Cathay is run by dragons). 

Edited by BarakUrbaz

18 minutes ago, Hollow said:

I would love a "Necromunda" style game set within the Mortal Realms. As others have mentioned I think Warcry has pivoted to be a way for units to be released for factions outside their AoS release windows. The mechanics of the game are solid and with the removal of some of the Chaos Warbands, it frees up space to explore other units. 

I have nothing against Underworlds but just see it as the logical area that might see a "replacement" if it's the case that Gw would rather replace a system than start up another one. 

A Necromunda-style system with different seasons set in renowned cities across the realms would be cool. 

This is why I was never happy with the way they opened Warcry up and let you use models from AlS factions in the game. The rules were obviously very different but it felt more like an AoS Necromunda equivalent. I liked it as a narrow focused game with bespoke models. I don’t mean I necessarily wanted it kept Chaos only, I’ve no problem with the Warcry warbands for other factions, but it bothers me that warbands made up of normal AoS models seemingly tend to be better than the bespoke units actually made for the game. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Still-young said:

This is why I was never happy with the way they opened Warcry up and let you use models from AlS factions in the game. The rules were obviously very different but it felt more like an AoS Necromunda equivalent. I liked it as a narrow focused game with bespoke models. I don’t mean I necessarily wanted it kept Chaos only, I’ve no problem with the Warcry warbands for other factions, but it bothers me that warbands made up of normal AoS models seemingly tend to be better than the bespoke units actually made for the game. 

It really got bloated when they added Hero units into warcry for each AoS faction

like why are Slaan even allow in the game lol

Reading the 4chan "rumors": Luke Skywalker Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong | Star  wars film, Star wars movie, Mark hamill

It does an almost impressive job of triggering the collective anxieties of Warhammer fans, especially those who dwell on that website.

There's honestly too much to go through point for point, but for me it's always the spurious line of reasoning that gives it away.

It's one thing to say "The Old World is failing." Hmm, okay. I don't have the numbers, maybe that person does. 

But these people can't help adding their own strange commentary to it. So the rumor becomes "The Old World is failing because Tomb Kings are not a strong enough villain as they don't matter much in the grand scheme of things."

Uhh, what? What a strange, vague, and hard-to-quantify reasoning. Never mind the blatant contradiction ("Tomb Kings are selling great"), but how would you even determine this as the cause of failure, let alone three months into the game's life cycle?

I feel like it's stuff like this that gives it away. The person shows too much of their hand, either revealing their own biases ("I hate Tomb Kings") or those they are trying to get a reaction from ("People love Tomb Kings, they are gonna hate hearing this!")

Also, while I feel for all Beastmen, Bonesplitterz, and Sacrosanct players, I really think the "GW is squatting armies" narrative needs to be moderated slightly. They aren't squatting armies, they are retiring model lines that are part of certain armies (Orruk Warclans, Stormcast Eternals). The exception is of course Beastmen, who, it could be argued, are not so much being retired as they are being forcibly relocated. Still not a great situation, to be clear. But I think the distinction is relevant. A Sacrosanct or Bonesplitterz player still has a wider army of things to tap into - in fact, it's likely they already own a few Thunderstrike or Kruleboyz models. But if Fyreslayers were really removed... that would be pulling the entire carpet from under a person who only collects the red-haired dwarfs.

Again, Beastmen are an important exception and I don't mean to defend GWs decision. But if the narrative becomes that GW is removing entire armies (plural) willy-nilly, then more rumormongers like the above will have a field day exacerbating player worries by posting embarrassing stuff like this.

EDIT: Oh, and Chaos Dwarfs are totally never coming back. That's why GW sanctioned the release of a well-received DLC for their flagship video game last year. Absolute drivel.

Edited by Magnusaur
  • Like 8