The Rumour Thread

I still think that the price of the box may be way more important. If they put those boxes under $200 then that equals or beats out the Etsy options.

I plan on getting one bretonnia box, but if it's over that $200 I will have to think a lot on it.

My friend plans on getting 2 Tomb King boxes and if the price is right he may go up to 3 or 4, but the fact that he may not says a lot about how bad those models look.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

So many Advent Engines looking like AoS miniatures - it's becoming really good ! And really puzzling too of what that could be. We are 99% sure next edition will be SCE vs Skaven - but all the AoS Advent engines look like neither ? Are they showing early 4th edition minis that accompany their new BTs, or minis for Dawnbringers 5 ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

So many Advent Engines looking like AoS miniatures - it's becoming really good ! And really puzzling too of what that could be. We are 99% sure next edition will be SCE vs Skaven - but all the AoS Advent engines look like neither ? Are they showing early 4th edition minis that accompany their new BTs, or minis for Dawnbringers 5 ?

The rumor engines for 4th edition should come in april or may, now is too soon.

• Like 1

The conversion rate from computer games to full on army collecting is relatively miniscule, its not nothing, i was working on the front line for a few of the notable computer game release bumps in the past but i suspect that wave has already passed. If someone was going to take up tabletop wargaming based on total war they are already playing Age of Sigmar (Or some other game idk) not waiting around for what was a dead game for most of this games lifecycle to buy in.

Like, of the people who play Total Warhammer consistently in my extended friends group its roughly 2 people who were consistently wargaming anyway, 2 folks who like the idea of it but never fully commit, a handful of lapsed gamers and 4-5 who afaik have never expressed any interest in it. (Bit of crossover in the last two i suspect) not one actual "convert" as far as im aware. 

Now thats just one not particularly rigorous example (And we are very middle aged) but i suspect it tracks. The most effective recruiting for OW is old warhammer players harassing their friends :P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noserenda said:

The conversion rate from computer games to full on army collecting is relatively miniscule,

Thats fine. Table top wargaming is a relatively small bobby compared to computer games. what is miniscule for Total War will be fairly sizable for The Old World. I agree it won't be a large percentage of Total War players, but even a small percent will be significant. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

It does seem like nighthaunt. I also get some the changeling vibes from this one.

I even considered if it could be linked with this other, as one sould/ smoke going from one into the other, but I don't think the soul/ smoke shape fits between both.

wIpZlaw8aQsQbE3Q.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GhostShark said:

Thats fine. Table top wargaming is a relatively small bobby compared to computer games. what is miniscule for Total War will be fairly sizable for The Old World. I agree it won't be a large percentage of Total War players, but even a small percent will be significant. 

But if you finished the paragraph, its already happened. Even the newest game in the series launched nearly 2 years ago now, and the first part of it is as old as Age of Sigmar/End times. Whilst people are still playing it, most of the things i hear about the game recently are about scummy DLC practices? 

Im not saying its impossible but i dont foresee a huge number of people who played the game, got really excited about trying it on tabletop and then waited years to do that? 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Im not saying its impossible but i dont foresee a huge number of people who played the game, got really excited about trying it on tabletop and then waited years to do that? 

the other thing is if Total War fans were pissed about DLC prices*, they are absolutely not going to put up with GW's pricing lol.

*and they were so pissed eventually CA relented to reworking how much content DLC gets

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

On the Sixteenth day of Christmas, GW previewed me:
Sixteen 'Chemists' 'Cooking'
Fifteen Vampirate Banners
Fourteen Bolters Bolting
Thirteen Holy Hand-grenades 
Twelve Krule Kudgels 
Eleven Astartes Scabbards 

Ten Ossiarch Boneclaws
Nine Nighthaunt Vaping
Eight Servo Calculators
Seven Grotbags Scuttling
Six Sickly Casters
FIVE KURNOTH ANTLERS
Four Fuzzy Cloaks
Three finecast miners
Two undead helmsmen and
A parrot on a Vampire

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

the other thing is if Total War fans were pissed about DLC prices*, they are absolutely not going to put up with GW's pricing lol.

*and they were so pissed eventually CA relented to reworking how much content DLC gets

Yeah, apparently insiders are saying Chorfs dlc underperformed because of the price.

TOW rolling up with a $250+ box when $25 is too much for a whole new race isn’t gonna please them.

Noserenda has the right of it that gamers aren’t just waiting over 8 years like a dam about to burst. They’ve been seeping over the years into the tabletop through AoS, KoW, 9th Age, WAP, OPR and the attention black hole that is 40k. TOW isn’t gonna magically find a new reservoir of them.

Especially now that we can all see the game isn’t made to pull them in. Majority that did wait are disappointed there’s few to no faces from TWW in it, only 9 supported races out of the 24 from the game which didn’t even lead with Kislev or Cathay which caused initial hype in the first place.

Like over the years I’ve seen 4 “Will you be getting into TOW?” polls on the TWW Reddit and the majority vote is always “It Depends”.

Every year there’s less of those votes and the iron is getting cold with Vermintide nearly over and TWW having major issues causing players & modders to leave and now the new Thrones of Decay dlc got delayed all the way to April which will miss a lot of hype it could’ve built for Febuary.

Right now the only thing the TWW side seem interested in is what new units TOW can put into their game. Just foot knights & a skele croc-dragon aren’t exactly wow factors.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

Yeah, apparently insiders are saying Chorfs dlc underperformed because of the price.

That makes no sense. If the Chaos Dwarfs DLC underperformed, then every DLC they've ever done has underperformed.

That release had a concurrent player bump up to ~73k (from ~45k). Comparatively, Tomb Kings had a peak of ~44k (from ~18k), and Vampire Coast a peak of ~43k (from ~23k). So Chaos Dwarfs had a bigger bump while costing 50% more than those previous Campaign Packs.

The main controversy was around the most recent Lord Pack (Shadows of Change), which had a price increase of 180% (ie from $12 CAD to $33.50 CAD), while offering only a touch more content (with the drop in FLC taken into account). That saw only a player bump to ~33k (from ~27k), whereas the last three Lord Packs of game two had bumps to: ~84k (from ~48k), ~67k (from ~36k), and ~75k (from ~38k).

Those aren't sales numbers, but they are indicative of sales numbers. Chaos Dwarfs did well, and cost a lot. Shadows of Change did not do well, and cost a lot.

5 minutes ago, LordSolarMach said:

That release had a concurrent player bump up to ~73k

2 things to keep in mind is that also caused controversy because it took away a legendary lord and caused the new FLC heroes from now on instead(so drop in content) and they fibbed about how different each lords were from eachother having very similar mechanics.

On numbers, people didn’t have to buy the Dlc to enjoy fighting them or the new content added to the map.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

2 things to keep in mind is that also caused controversy because it took away a legendary lord and caused the new FLC heroes from now on instead(so drop in content) and they fibbed about how different each lords were from each other having very similar mechanics.

On numbers, people didn’t have to buy the Dlc to enjoy fighting them or the new content added to the map.

As said, we can't know the sales numbers. As said, some people play around the release without buying. But release bumps happen because people are buying the releases, and their relative sizes are suggestive. The bump for Chaos Dwarfs was larger than for Tomb Kings or Vampire Coast, and it cost 50% more.

If Chaos Dwarfs was a failure, how has any of the DLC been successful?

Edited by LordSolarMach