The Rumour Thread

32 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

I think they real profits are made with the ridiculous prices of paints and books that need to be bought time and time again (and hero models).

Don't think so. I believe the production costs of full colour, hard cover, good quality paper books are these days quite high. I seem to remember something about the price of paper going significantly up as of few years ago, so their margins on books are going to be noticeably lower.

EDIT: Paints are probably more profitable than books though. I also seem to remember someone mentioning that only a couple of years ago AoS finally managed to overtake paints in profit. So the main bulk of their money printing is still predominantly Space Marines.

Edited by Grungnisson
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Interesting. I know that people post here screenshots of that spreadsheet in Euro, so there's definitely some inconsistency there. Still, gives people some idea.

Do we know if the trade price include vat? The RRP does but I would think the trade price does not?

3 hours ago, azdimy said:

Do we know if the trade price include vat? The RRP does but I would think the trade price does not?

The store with the biggest discount I know does 30% and they also have a free shipping level. So if it doesn't I have no idea how they make any money of that stuff

Edited by Matrindur

5 hours ago, RetconnedLegion said:

When I had a store in the UK, about 7 years ago, trade discount was 40% off RRP for most items, 20% for Direct Order only items. 

Wow. That's crazy.

Here the discount percentage is slowly decresasing. I used to buy in a couple of stores where they were doing a 25% off, then both stopped selling GW. Now I am buying in one that dropped from 25 to 22%. There's 2 or 3 more that does a 20%, but most of them is doing a 10-15%.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Wow. That's crazy.

Here the discount percentage is slowly decresasing. I used to buy in a couple of stores where they were doing a 25% off, then both stopped selling GW. Now I am buying in one that dropped from 25 to 22%. There's 2 or 3 more that does a 20%, but most of them is doing a 10-15%.

Fewer and fewer stores in the UK are still offering 20% (the old standard*). Element Games (I think the biggest third party store) offers it on pre-orders, but then drops it to 15% after that. Wayland games seems to offer it on most things, but I've had a few bad experiences with their customer services so don't like to buy from them anymore.

Used to be if you shopped around you could often find better than 20%, but that's very rare now.

*Worth noting the UK prices are cheaper than non-UK prices, so that 20% is off a lower base.

43 minutes ago, Goatforce said:

Wow, who is that? Don't suppose it is a UK store?

Sadly no its in Germany. The catch is that they don't really carry any inventory for GW stuff but order in everything when you order something so it can take quite a while to arrive especially with the current situation. I suppose they save money by not needing the storage/display space and can give such high discounts this way but even then its not 30% on everything but on a case by case basis between 30% and 25%.

Still a great discount but sadly I'm not in Germany but in a neighboring country so for me I still need to pay shipping on top (free shipping only in Germany) so its only worth it for me if I place a big order.

Other than that one I have two local stores. One is giving 17% but that one is a bit unreliable for limited releases. The other has 10% on normal stuff and 15% on stuff over 90€ so less discount but in turn is insanely reliable in actually getting the stuff.

Edited by Matrindur
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grunbag said:

Im curious to see how they will nerf big waaagh without nerfing also IJ and kB ? 

IMG_6071.webp

Honestly, I hope GW just starts treating them like every other army starting with the next edition. Either have one unified Orruk faction or three properly independent ones. The current system where we have to pretend these three not-quite-subfactions from the same book are actually separate armies is not working.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

well when i payed to 40k like 4-5 years ago.

i remember the same case of big wagh with ynnari and the different eldar, dark eldar etc souped there. and every faction got several nerfs only because those units used on ynnari where op. despite the individual factions being ok.

and on next tome the soup rule got totally nerfed to the ground.

sooo i guess gw will do the same here. nerfing every overperforming units (big bird mage and the new crazy non armored orcs) and on next tome kill or nerf the soup rules

Edited by Kitsumy

35 minutes ago, Kitsumy said:

well when i payed to 40k like 4-5 years ago.

i remember the same case of big wagh with ynnari and the different eldar, dark eldar etc souped there. and every faction got several nerfs only because those units used on ynnari where op. despite the individual factions being ok.

and on next tome the soup rule got totally nerfed to the ground.

sooo i guess gw will do the same here. nerfing every overperforming units (big bird mage and the new crazy non armored orcs) and on next tome kill or nerf the soup rules

Ynnari is slightly different tbf, iirc they were busted in 8th mainly because of their faction soul burst ability, not because they were souping. You lost the drukhari and craftworld faction rules I think but I might be misremembering?