The Rumour Thread

17 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Just give me these. Dont need mecha or naked duardin.

image.png.3f3b3c306e5007a0b3353f4a88820842.png

Of course you need basic generic dwarfs, they are the only ones that greenskins can beat. 

But for the survivors of the Age of Chaos, we still need more meka and naked duardins.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

26 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

Just give me these. Dont need mecha or naked duardin.

image.png.3f3b3c306e5007a0b3353f4a88820842.png

Maybe you are looking for them in the wrong setting.

Don't get me wrong, I love the classic dwarf style from Fantasy but I wouldn't expect more of it in the future of the mortal realms.

Proxying and/or conversion will be always there, of course.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Throgg said:

Maybe you are looking for them in the wrong setting.

Don't get me wrong, I love the classic dwarf style from Fantasy but I wouldn't expect more of it in the future of the mortal realms.

Proxying and/or conversion will be always there, of course.

I'd like to see an AoS take on classic Dawis, a bit how the Votann are a modern take on classic Squats. I'm a human enjoyer, but I do love my short kings. However, if classic dwarfs are to be redone, I hope it's after FS and KO get something to push their range beyond what they are now. And I'm talking about real units and beefy kits, not another foot hero. After KO and FS get the fleshing out and range expansion they deserve, and after Chaos Dwarfs make their return in AoS, will I be happy with another dwarf faction that's more classic in appearance.

In the meanwhile, the remaining Dwarfs from WFB can hang out in CoS. They are fairly good kits that hold up very well today (I had a blast assembling my gyrocopter) and they blend in super well with both SCE and the new freeguild humans. I have 0 problems with them remaining long term. 

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

I'd like to see an AoS take on classic Dawis, a bit how the Votann are a modern take on classic Squats. I'm a human enjoyer, but I do love my short kings. However, if classic dwarfs are to be redone, I hope it's after FS and KO get something to push their range beyond what they are now. And I'm talking about real units and beefy kits, not another foot hero. After KO and FS get the fleshing out and range expansion they deserve, and after Chaos Dwarfs make their return in AoS, will I be happy with another dwarf faction that's more classic in appearance.

In the meanwhile, the remaining Dwarfs from WFB can hang out in CoS. They are fairly good kits that hold up very well today (I had a blast assembling my gyrocopter) and they blend in super well with both SCE and the new freeguild humans. I have 0 problems with them remaining long term. 

Blind hope or not, I hope we see some duardin for the artillery tomorrow...

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

57 minutes ago, CDM said:

When are the sons of velmorn released! Have stopped playing cursed city until I can get these!!

They were in the second most recent Underworlds box, so we should see them re-released in a smaller set next time a core box is out 

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

Of course you need basic generic dwarfs, they are the only ones that greenskins can beat. 

Yeah i miss those good old fights under the mountains. Stealing sky-ports is too easy with our superior grotbag scuttlers armada. Cant wait to see those models in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

100%. Fyreslayers deserve some better support in their model line.

3 hours ago, Asbestress said:

Blind hope or not, I hope we see some duardin for the artillery tomorrow...

And what about an ogor lifting super heavy cannonballs to reload the artillery piece if it looks like the whitefang's bombard photo? If it is on a very big base, it will be totally possible! (with a dwarven crew of course) 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Beliman said:

Disagree. Kharadron design is peak dwarf design, just look at this:

99120205023_BrokkGrungsson01.jpg

Yes, I think they look excellent too. I will insist the 6th edition ones are my favourite classic dwarfs, but the Kharadron are clearly up there with the best of AoS. It feels like GW had a new golden age of creativity once they hit their stride a few years into AoS (maybe 2nd edition?). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vagard said:

And what about an ogor lifting super heavy cannonballs to reload the artillery piece if it looks like the whitefang's bombard photo? If it is on a very big base, it will be totally possible! (with a dwarven crew of course) 

could be cool, if whe have a multi race crew: human, dwarf, ogor and if we are lucky aelf (maybe to aim)

my wish: something impressive and out of the box, i want to be surprised.

https://www.beastsofwar.com/fantasy-wargaming/chaos-dwarf-dreadquake-mortar/

Edited by Freemeta
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

Yes the pictured unit looks great!

I feel in general GW were struggling with their aesthetic in between the somewhat realistic-looking late metal era, around 6th-7th edition or so when they had changed from the very colourful and also cartoonish 4th and 5th edition, and AoS (or at least End Times). They feel rushed, like they neither have the personality of the old models or the details of the newer ones. For example, the last dwarf (now Dispossessed) range doesn't do it for me either. Ditto for the savage orc (now Bonesplitterz) range (and also several other orc units from that era, such as generic Boar Boyz). Or the by now completely squatted late High Elves range. 

I guess early AoS also had some vestiges of this problem: for example, the Fyreslayer units (but not heroes and droths) feel like this too... I am not sure what happened around that time, but I've heard it suggested that they were adjusting to digital sculpting processes?

However, I think the release of Nagash for End Times was a pivotal point. There they clearly took a step forward and released what I think is one of their absolutely strongest miniatures all things considered. Same with Mortarchs, Stormfiends, lots of Nurgle stuff... There they showed that they had started to master whatever sculpting tools they use now. And now almost everything they release is excellent, whether new armies like Ossiarchs, Nighthaunt and Idoneth or updates like the Lizards, SBGL or StD. It's truly gorgeous stuff.

EDIT: I realize I didn't really address the ghouls themselves. I like the metal ones because you can see they are humans who are in the process of losing it. They don't look *that* different from flagellants, who also are on the verge of going crazy, but the ghouls have stepped over a line that the flagellants haven't quite yet. Whereas the plastic spiky bone boys have devolved a bit too much to make sense. They look like generic cartoon monsters. So I actually feel the old metal ones are more like Gollum whereas the plastic ones feel more like something from Warcraft.

With the dwarves, it's the faces. They all have blank expressions, and the designer thought that would be invisible under the beard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Still-young said:

Warcry prices:

Starter set is £65, €85 ($99/$100 based on current prices) 
Warbands £35, €45 

£65 is mad. 

Mmmm cant say i think its a good deal. Those warband were like 20 or 25 euro. Another 35 or 45 euro for the little terrain and cardboard. Was expecting at least some discount. Hope flgs offer some discount on this one.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Freemeta said:

could be cool, if whe have a multi race crew: human, dwarf, ogor and if we are lucky aelf (maybe to aim)

my wish: something impressive and out of the box, i want to be surprised.

https://www.beastsofwar.com/fantasy-wargaming/chaos-dwarf-dreadquake-mortar/

We have been seeing some pretty fun stuff out of the new Freeguild, so I would be surpised of the new cannon was just B I G with no other interesting twist.

I'm hoping it at least matches the weirdness of the Fusiliers and Warhulk.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

22 hours ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

Yes the pictured unit looks great!

I feel in general GW were struggling with their aesthetic in between the somewhat realistic-looking late metal era, around 6th-7th edition or so when they had changed from the very colourful and also cartoonish 4th and 5th edition, and AoS (or at least End Times). They feel rushed, like they neither have the personality of the old models or the details of the newer ones. For example, the last dwarf (now Dispossessed) range doesn't do it for me either. Ditto for the savage orc (now Bonesplitterz) range (and also several other orc units from that era, such as generic Boar Boyz). Or the by now completely squatted late High Elves range. 

I guess early AoS also had some vestiges of this problem: for example, the Fyreslayer units (but not heroes and droths) feel like this too... I am not sure what happened around that time, but I've heard it suggested that they were adjusting to digital sculpting processes?

However, I think the release of Nagash for End Times was a pivotal point. There they clearly took a step forward and released what I think is one of their absolutely strongest miniatures all things considered. Same with Mortarchs, Stormfiends, lots of Nurgle stuff... There they showed that they had started to master whatever sculpting tools they use now. And now almost everything they release is excellent, whether new armies like Ossiarchs, Nighthaunt and Idoneth or updates like the Lizards, SBGL or StD. It's truly gorgeous stuff.

EDIT: I realize I didn't really address the ghouls themselves. I like the metal ones because you can see they are humans who are in the process of losing it. They don't look *that* different from flagellants, who also are on the verge of going crazy, but the ghouls have stepped over a line that the flagellants haven't quite yet. Whereas the plastic spiky bone boys have devolved a bit too much to make sense. They look like generic cartoon monsters. So I actually feel the old metal ones are more like Gollum whereas the plastic ones feel more like something from Warcraft.

To me, the aesthetic of 6th-7th era of Warhammer is the best and largely unsurpassed - the technology has gotten better, but the balance between composition each model and the art direction it pursued is simply perfect imo.

What I liked about it is that the models looked believable and the art direction was well balanced with some unique touches

Dwarf longboards and heroes (the eye patch & pistol lord and the helmet holding lord in particular) are my favorite dwarf models ever made; they reek of character but manage to remain very grounded.

As someone who loves wood elves in all settings, the 6th ed WE still feel unique and unsurpassed. The combination of tattoos, glassy eyes, twiggy veils and an occasion gleam of highly sofisticsted metalwork gives off a sense of mysterious yet savage and very "earthy" fae, which I adore, and the 8th edition refreshes of Wild riders and eternal guard were a large downgrade for me, as that subtle balance was lost (treman was dope though, especially since it retained the Pan's Labyrinth aesthetic of driads, another favorite of mine).

Although there were some great models in 8th edition (dark riders, black guard, tomb kings of all sorts), that was when I started losing interest in the setting because it stopped resembling folklore & history in favor of what are for me warcraft-esque over the top fantasy, and the mortarchs you mentioned, the chaos stuff (minus juggernauts), as well as the bone gargoyles that are now a part of the Ossiarch range (the name escapes me) are some of the models that first made me think that.

All that looked like all the rest of generic modern fantasy, removed from its historical inspirations and designed to aggressively grab attention, which is something I wasn't a fan of even as a kid (which is probably why I never liked warcraft either).

Of course, all of this is just personal preference, but I *loved* the 6th/7th era of WHFB and I'm glad that ToW seems to be sticking closer to it with the new models, judging on what we've seen so far.

gw-99060204068.jpg

warhammer_woodElf_eternalGuard.jpg

Wood-Elf-Waywatcher-Lord.jpg

IMG_20230724_122536.jpg

Edited by KingKull
  • Like 11
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

19 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I suspect the first reveal will be Necromunda. I have not been tracking their post timings, but I feel like their AoS posts are usually later in the day (at 3/4pm UK time).

3 to 4 sounds about right generally. The last one (Fusiliers) was pretty early from what I remember though, like 2pm.