The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, GenericEdgyName said:

To be honest I'm happy they specified it's BB right away, instead of just saying it's a new mini and leaving us falsely hopeful for something AoS

They're just saying that so that we'll be extra surprised tomorrow when they reveal the steampunk walking Cogfort War Alter Cannon with dwarf, elf and human crew!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

I have my doubts that we'll see a boxed Ogors warband, mostly because they don't quite work for the same kind of release. Warcry Warbands are often 8-10 unit squads that can be either swarm or Midrange depending on how many more boxes you buy, and with Ogors you can only have like four Ogors max in a warband because Ogors are so expensive. Even in Kill Team, please which has similarly sized releases, the only team that's built out of a few elite models is the Gellerpox, and that was a special release already. 

If we do see Ogors, I'd imagine it would either have a lot of Gnoblars or be a hunting band with a bunch of yetis or cats to make up the numbers. Could also be possible for a warband to have a single elite ogor in cities or destruction soup. 

29 minutes ago, Nazarjo said:

I have my doubts that we'll see a boxed Ogors warband, mostly because they don't quite work for the same kind of release. Warcry Warbands are often 8-10 unit squads that can be either swarm or Midrange depending on how many more boxes you buy, and with Ogors you can only have like four Ogors max in a warband because Ogors are so expensive. Even in Kill Team, please which has similarly sized releases, the only team that's built out of a few elite models is the Gellerpox, and that was a special release already. 

If we do see Ogors, I'd imagine it would either have a lot of Gnoblars or be a hunting band with a bunch of yetis or cats to make up the numbers. Could also be possible for a warband to have a single elite ogor in cities or destruction soup. 

Stormcasts had 6 models, I can see same with ogors, 2-3 ogors and some companions cats/gnoblars or yeties or something completly new like we had those apes

• LOVE IT! 2

21 minutes ago, Aleser said:

Stormcasts had 6 models, I can see same with ogors, 2-3 ogors and some companions cats/gnoblars or yeties or something completly new like we had those apes

Yeah, I think Ogors would work fine. With enough Goblars they could end up with more minis than the Stormcast warband even. It paid GW will stick to exclusively Ogors: I could see 4 or 5 minis in a warband.

The question is what might the warband be? The obvious choice to my mind is Maneaters, but then perhaps that's too obvious.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

So Im guessing with the Warcry Road Map showing 4 new Warbands within Order and Destruction that would be 2 each?

We have Kruelboyz and heavily hinted Fyreslayers.

Could the other be Cities of Sigmar and Ogor Mawtribes?

I'm really hoping the other Order warband is Idoneth.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

16 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Sorry, but I can't call any system which still uses I Go You Go a modern game. I enjoy AoS, but it definitely feels like a Frankenstein's Monster of a system they've been trying to graft more modern concepts onto an outdated engine rather than something truly it's own, which is why I do kind of hope 4.0 is a full reset.

To me, AoS doesn't really feel anymore modern than... say, Warmahordes in that respect. That doesn't make it a bad game (obviously or I'd not be here), but it feels caught between the two brackets of something truly modern and one stuck in the 90's. I guess that's the curse of being a GW 'core' game. 

Pretty much every new, non-core game from GW (and every new game from non-GW companies) being some form of alternating activations whilst their core games cling fiercely to it makes me assume there's people in the sales department who're terrified of change and say, "It's always been I Go You Go we can't risk changing that!" We see hints of their longing for Alternating Activations with their adding more ways to interact with your opponent's phase, but clearly somebody at the top is stopping them from committing fully to it. 

I agree with you that AoS could use a more interactive turn sequence. But it is no so simple as you have laid it out. Consider....

Infinity is a I go You go game. Yet most wouldn't describe it as an old fashion rule system. What it does have is exceptional engagement for both players throughout the turn sequence, thanks to the ARO system. It should also be noted that most, sometimes all, available activation can be pumped through one unit.

Another I go You go game, this time from the 1980's, was WGR 7th Edition Ancient rules. It also have a high degree of involvement of players in both player's turns. Counter charge, skirmisher evasions and shooting allowed the player in his off turn to respond to the first player's actions.

On the other hand, ASOIAF game has issues with it's activation system as the player that runs out of units to activate has to sit there and take what his opponent can dis out, just like in a straight forward I go You go system. The individual unit action approach can introduce it's own problems.

So it isn't the I go You go that matters, but rather the degree of interactivity for both players through the turn sequence.

OK, so how to improve interactivity in AoS?

I see two possibilities;

1/ introduce extra response options for player in his off turn, in addition to Unleash Hell and Redeploy. EG: Counter Charge. This might work if the first player failed a charge within 12"?

2/ Unit Activation. I would suggest the Battletech method of alternate activate each phase would be best. EG: every alternates activation of units to move. Then go on to shooting phase. Everyone alternatively activates  units to shoot. Move on the Combat phase and do he same thing. Note this might require a balancing of combat, since we would have changed this par of the game very significantly. 

I would prefer option 1. Stick with I go You go but add more response mechanics.

As to the idea that anything from the 1990's is to be regarded as old, I must point out that rules design actually reached its peak in the 1980's. After that complex rules moved into computer games and physical mini games trended toward the simple and fast play. 7th ed Ancients I mentioned above was a milestone in this regard, as the DBx and Impetuous style rules that followed extended the simplifying assumptions that began with that rule system. Impetous is the same concept of rules as KoW, BTW.

It was Magic the Gathering which was the watershed between old school and modern fantasy/sci-fi games. Check out Jordan Sorcery's videos to see this history unfold from a Warhammer perspective:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Nazarjo said:

Why not maneaters ?

So i what do i think the last Destruction warband will be...

Dont think it will be Ogors. They had the Underworlds warband trial runs with the pirate and the hunter. I expect to see a range refresh at the end of this edition or at least in 4th. 

Could be a second Warclans warband. I really think an Ardboyz warband would be the perfect way to upgrade those older models. Could also be something nice for Bonesplitterz like wereboars. 

Dont think it will be Gitz, they already had a lot of releases lately, but u never know for sure since they are popular. I hope for a Spiderfang warband  but with the ToW and the lack of support/lore for that subfaction im not holding my breath.

Could it be a single monster kit for SoB? I think this is plausible.

Could also be the rumoured big Troggoth? I think it will be a Dawnbringer release.

My wild guess is a Gitmob or Grotbag warband that gets shoved into Gloomspite like the Snarlfangs until they get their own subfaction/tome next edition.

Could be anything really.

Edited by Gitzdee

49 minutes ago, Snarff said:

Of all the factions I hope get warbands, I REALLY want it to be Idoneth. Currently all of the Aelf factions are very bad in warcry, but Idoneth is in the worst space of all because it has a really limited model range and the vast majority of the units are bad and/or overcosted. The Idoneth deserve to be cool but they are just so underbaked in Warcry

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nazarjo said:

Of all the factions I hope get warbands, I REALLY want it to be Idoneth. Currently all of the Aelf factions are very bad in warcry, but Idoneth is in the worst space of all because it has a really limited model range and the vast majority of the units are bad and/or overcosted. The Idoneth deserve to be cool but they are just so underbaked in Warcry

Yes there is soo much oportunity with Idoneths, their WU warband is amazing. Hopefully it will be something more for them in near future.

11 minutes ago, Nazarjo said:

Is DoK that bad with the Shadowstalkers? They're one of the few non-chaos factions to get a dedicated Warcry band so far.

But yeah, after Fyreslayers I'd love to see Idoneth.

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

Yeah, FW was never great at AoS, but it's all gone now. 

Oh, I see.

Hey, Forgeworld dudes!!! If you are reading this, how about a model of Sigmar himself? There is a model of just about every other god hero in the Mortal Realms. So where is Sigmar? Make of model of him and put it in the FW AoS section. My model of Archaon is waiting to slap him around the table top.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Snarff said:

Is DoK that bad with the Shadowstalkers? They're one of the few non-chaos factions to get a dedicated Warcry band so far.

Shadowstalkers are in the running for the worst warband in the game right now. They're a team made up of expensive units with high speed and low toughness, and right now in Warcry is all about cheap slow units with a high toughness. 

DoK have an issue where they're a faction that has a lot of attacks but low damage, and the reaction system means that having a high number of attacks isn't great since counter punishes every hit you miss, so you only want high attack units that can actually kill things quickly, which average DoK units just can't do. There's definitely viable DoK builds, but they're countered by the current metagame. 

Edited by Nazarjo
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Acrozatarim said:

No surprise there, though I'd like to see them repainted to match the new CoS models' colour scheme to get a better idea of how well they look together.

Definitely. I think they’d gel with the humans quite well in that dark red and with black iron/gold details.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

Yeah, I think Ogors would work fine. With enough Goblars they could end up with more minis than the Stormcast warband even. It paid GW will stick to exclusively Ogors: I could see 4 or 5 minis in a warband.

The question is what might the warband be? The obvious choice to my mind is Maneaters, but then perhaps that's too obvious.

I agree mate, Maneaters is so obvious that maybe theyll turn it on its head. Maybe we will get a Warband of Yehtees!!

4 hours ago, Snarff said:

Mate me too!! Give me Fyreslayers if not Idoneth. And make it all Crabs!!

4 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

So i what do i think the last Destruction warband will be...

Dont think it will be Ogors. They had the Underworlds warband trial runs with the pirate and the hunter. I expect to see a range refresh at the end of this edition or at least in 4th. 

Could be a second Warclans warband. I really think an Ardboyz warband would be the perfect way to upgrade those older models. Could also be something nice for Bonesplitterz like wereboars. 

Dont think it will be Gitz, they already had a lot of releases lately, but u never know for sure since they are popular. I hope for a Spiderfang warband  but with the ToW and the lack of support/lore for that subfaction im not holding my breath.

Could it be a single monster kit for SoB? I think this is plausible.

Could also be the rumoured big Troggoth? I think it will be a Dawnbringer release.

My wild guess is a Gitmob or Grotbag warband that gets shoved into Gloomspite like the Snarlfangs until they get their own subfaction/tome next edition.

Could be anything really.

@Whitefang said Troggoths would be coming but no for Warcry so looking back they mustve been talking about the Mirror Troggoth!!

I really want it to be Ogors but if not I would love Bonesplitterz. Especially if it means Wereboars!!

• Like 1

Eavy metal schedules I guess? It does feel like a missed opportunity. They’ve done it before when an army has a change of scheme or gets a new variant but maybe when it’s relating to older minis that they aren’t pushing as much as the new hotness, it’s not considered a priority.

A shame though. I actually think it’d work better for the dwarves than for the old dark elf minis, which have a bit less in the way of intricate swirly armorial detail and so might need a slightly different approach to make them gel.

Edited by sandlemad

Me, a new recruit taking the oath so me family can enjoy an extra slice of bread with their porridge tonight. 

Boss says everyone gets the same equipment, me helmet ain't too big, although the jerkin ain't half chafin. Billy next to me can't jump higher than 2 feet and Baron looks like he should've retired from the mill years ago, but we're all in it together boss says, all of us, no difference between us. Now there's a muscly fella in an apron holding out a molten rock and keeps prodding me to hold it or somethin.....

"What are you doin?"

*The Irondrake Dwarf, beguiled in the finest armour and weaponry the local mine could produce, absolutely no expense spared and quite clearly hoarded the Dawnbringers resources for their own needs*:

"Me, tuh, nothin......me? You know, heh, just hangin around."

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2