The Rumour Thread

Alright, my summary:

Only one Cities of Sigmar unit? The Cavaliers look fantastic and my opinion on them couldn't be more different to the 'Freeguild Guard' we saw at the last event. Love the gothic plate, they do feel like a AoSification of the old Empire Knightly Orders while still distinctly being their own beast.

Still, only one unit for Cities? Not even the full reveal of the unit from last time? I didn't expect to see everything, but I expected at least a few things. I guess they'll be on the far-side of Summer if they want to stretch it out and will take up a lot of the New Model Monday for the foreseeable.

Dawnbringers splatbook - Can't really judge a book by it's cover, so not much to say here. Glad it's something new though. Any excuse for GW to push out new models outside of Battletome revamps is a good thing. Kind of wish they hadn't spoilt 'one will succeed, one will fail' though.

Grimhold Exile - I wish this tasted less bittersweet, but really GW, another Melee Foot Hero for Fyreslayers? Really? I do love the sculpt, it may be my favourite in the whole range, but this was the last thing the army needed by a country mile. Even lorewise he's redundant as we already had the Doomseeker. Even his FOMO box is boring. Infact I hesitate to even call it a FOMO box because I bet you'll be able to grab it for cheap on Black Friday months from now. 

Harbinger of Decay - Amazing, 11/10, that thing is going to start selling so many Nurgle armies and like they said on stream, going to show up as so many Golden Daemon entrees. Just looks great.

Rabble-Rowza - Meh. It's another on-foot buffing Night Goblin. Suffers from the same problem as the Grimhold Exile that the design space has already been thoroughly milked.

Marrowscroll Herald - Always nice to see more FEC but the novelty of seeing new Heroes for them has passed, we really need to start seeing actual units for me to get excited but maybe that'll come with their Battletome. Their FOMO box being full of the old ghouls is... not encouraging, although it could be a Deathwing Terminator situation where they spring the new version of the sculpts on us only a few months later.

Maw-Grunta - I think this is going to be one of those models which looks a lot better in-person than in photos but I do quite like it, a very appropriate continuation of their designs. I'm very pleased Ironjawz are getting something new which isn't just a Foot Hero. I'm totally not sour grapes about that, no sir. 

Overall it's a solid 7.5/10 for me. I think the very limited Cities reveals (despite being hyped up even by GW), the meh Fyreslayer Hero and FOMO boxes are tempering my excitement over what was otherwise a pretty great stream. I don't think anybody expected a decent spread of model releases (outside of rumours of course), so there was a pleasant surprise to be had there.

Okay, sorry, I'm going to have to say it again... another Melee Foot Hero?!?!

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

Dawnbringers are definitely not for me, I guess. Funny that they showed off an old Empire knight for comparison and I still thought it looked cooler than the Cavaliers lol

Really underwhelming preview regardless. Harbringer and Maw-Grunta look amazing at least. Not sure that AOS3 needs to be pivoting into its end of edition campaign when its not even 2 years old yet but hey alright and I'm sure FEC players are loving having to wait until potentially 2024 for their book while a bunch of campaign books and FOMO boxes take priority.

This isn't the end of edition campaign. It will be finished by winter.  I suspect the cities of Sigmar were delayed. Eddie said they had to wait for that faction to release before the could do this narrative. FeC are coming in winter are getting a big update which will hopefully make the air worth it  We potentially have a whole other series of books next year. Arks of Omen didn't start until this year. 

As for preferring the old empire nights to the new cavaliers, I just don't get. I have plenty of those old models and they really haven't aged well. 

• Like 3

Lol, happy to be wrong when I posted a couple of days ago that Ironjawz were done! I should post it more before an event. Next time I will say that Idoneth is done. 😉

I love all the models. The CoS cavalry is amazing! I am 100% in for the armybox and all the rest!

Edit: The cavaliers would also fit the Empire of old.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Still-young said:

The big pig makes the Gore-gruntas look pretty bad. 

I was just thinking this. 

I guess it's like the difference between the original 1st ed Stormcast and how much better they've gotten with the most recent kits. Ironjaws were a 1st edition release and so the technology and sculpting has come on a lot since then. 

• Like 4

Alright, overall review time

Dawnbringer Knights-I like them, surprised that they're dragging out the previews for CoS this hard though, even given their release date.

Fyreslayer hero-Love the model, Hate hate hate that it's just another foot hero for Fyreslayers, not to mention being stuck in a FOMO box. I can't justify buying more vulkites/HG at this point, I just can't, and that means I'm at the mercy of Ebay, gaaaaah. Really annoyed with all these FOMO boxes honestly, they all seem completely awful for anyone that isn't brand new to an army, and these added hero models are naturally going to appeal mostly to people who already collect the army.

Nurgle Harbringer-Nurgle does absolutely nothing for me, but that's a great model

Bonesplitter Git-Gits, out of all the destruction armies, do not need more random foot heroes. I'd complain about his fomo box also being terrible but honestly, even as a Gits player I'll probably just skip this guy he's so unnecessary.

FEC Hero-Again, really good looking hero, FEC are not for me though. Hopefully these initial four harbringers mean that FEC and Fyreslayers both get lots of new models soonish...

BIGPIG-Pig is Big. Actually really love this model. I have a smattering of Ironjawz, no Mawkrusha, and I could see me running this guy instead

Dawnbringer Narrative Series-Really feels bizarre to have a four book narrative series starting halfway through the year and ending in about six months, not what anyone expected I think. I really like the lore and stuff that comes with these campaign events but I will not be snookered into buying more hardback books that get invalidated in two weeks again, not a chance. Also, they say more than 12 armies are getting updated through this, but we've seen five of those updates already and only BIGPIG is notable in any way, so....

Edited by madmac
  • Like 1

From the WHC article with the Marrowscroll Herald: @These scabrous delegates somehow act as vectors for the madness of the carrion kingdoms, spreading and magnifying the delusions that drive them. Rumours abound that the morbid messengers may even serve an ominous, higher power…"

Hints at the Carrion King returning, perhaps?

Separately, while the Maw-Grunta looks brilliant, I'm not wild about the sidecars. Cool concept but the brutes are just sort of standing there? Very static poses, at odds with the sense of motion you get from the rest of the mini.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The new Nurgle model holds up to the original which is saying something. Think I still prefer the older one but as a Heroic Glow Up its very well done. It has a definitive silhouette and shape and has quote obviously borrowed from Frazettas Death Dealer which is about as perfect a design as Fantasy art gets.

The rest look like 3D designers having a go at Age of Sigmar pretty much. Which isn't an insult more just an observation that 3D sculpting is removing a lot of the artisanship and "hand" of the sculptor. For stuff like 40k with an established aesthetic it's harder to crack, but with AOS which is a bit less fixed and more experimental/still trying to find its signature look its kind of open season.

I like the idea of the Cavalry but I think they're poorly executed, the have a terrible silhouette and sort of just loom like Grim Dark Buckaroo. Which, even if that was the point which I think maybe it was, you can do that with better lines than they have. They don't look functional.

Screenshot_20230430_131146_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Nos said:

The new Nurgle model holds up to the original which is saying something. Think I still prefer the older one but as a Heroic Glow Up its very well done. It has a definitive silhouette and shape and has quote obviously borrowed from Frazettas Death Dealer which is about as perfect a design as Fantasy art gets.

The rest look like 3D designers having a go at Age of Sigmar pretty much. Which isn't an insult more just an observation that 3D sculpting is removing a lot of the artisanship and "hand" of the sculptor. For stuff like 40k with an established aesthetic it's harder to crack, but with AOS which is a bit less fixed and more experimental/still trying to find its signature look its kind of open season.

I like the idea of the Cavalry but I think they're poorly executed, the have a terrible silhouette and sort of just loom like Grim Dark Buckaroo. Which, even if that was the point which I think maybe it was, you can do that with better lines than they have. They don't look functional.

Screenshot_20230430_131146_Chrome.jpg

I need more Frazetta-inspired models in my life and the new Nurgle herald is out. Of. This. World.

Now holding fingers crossed for a nurgle cavalry on actual horses!

Edited by KingKull
  • LOVE IT! 1