The Rumour Thread

46 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

If in 4th Edition both these Factions get updated the amount of money that GW will make will be astonishing. Look how many people are hyped for Seraphon being updated, their sales are going to be insane. How many of us here will jump on BOC or Skaven if theyre updated? 

The lack of new Skaven models is one of the greatest mysteries of AOS to me. Skaven are so quintessentially Warhammer and GW and I’ve always been confident that they would be one of the first factions with big model updates for AoS. Shows how much I know.

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

The lack of new Skaven models is one of the greatest mysteries of AOS to me. Skaven are so quintessentially Warhammer and GW and I’ve always been confident that they would be one of the first factions with big model updates for AoS. Shows how much I know.

Definitely, they’re the classic example of an original (or mostly original) GW creation, one of the very few. Given that GW has been banging the drum about making their fantasy races unique to their settings since c.2005, it’s really quite surprising that they haven’t pushed them harder.

Particularly when (i) they epitomise the grubby black humour GW is known for, and (ii) seem to have been one of the more popular armies in WHFB days.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

37 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Definitely, they’re the classic example of an original (or mostly original) GW creation, one of the very few. Given that GW has been banging the drum about making their fantasy races unique to their settings since c.2005, it’s really quite surprising that they haven’t pushed them harder.

Particularly when (i) they epitomise the grubby black humour GW is known for, and (ii) seem to have been one of the more popular armies in WHFB days.

Im putting my hoof down and stating 4.0 will be the year for Skaven. Wether its the opposing force in the Starter Set or a massive range refresh itll happen.

There are only 2 Chaos Factions that havent recieved a proper AOS update and that is Beasts of Chaos and Skaven. They could literally update both of them with huge range refreshes such as Seraphon and Cities of Sigmar for 4.0 AND still have time to release Chaos Duardin.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

There are only 2 Chaos Factions that havent recieved a proper AOS update and that is Beasts of Chaos and Skaven.

The most frustrating part is they seem to be missing easy opportunities.

For example they just release a trio of bad-ass looking bull like creatures in the form of Ogroid Theridons; one champion, one musician and one flag bearer. Does that remind anyone of a Best of Chaos unit?
They even went the extra mile and made them alternative heads and horns sculpts.

Why couldn't they include some bullgors heads as well? Why not do an easy refresh of an old unit?

image.png.a5b9876e6a957b771c532d9d9e77a0a5.png

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, JohnnyWolf said:

For example they just release a trio of bad-ass looking bull like creatures in the form of Ogroid Theridons; one champion, one musician and one flag bearer. Does that remind anyone of a Best of Chaos unit?
They even went the extra mile and made them alternative heads and horns sculpts.

Why couldn't they include some bullgors heads as well? Why not do an easy refresh of an old unit?

Definitely a missed opportunity OR maybe Beasts are getting refreshed and they want to distinguish the races.

We may actually get a variety of Beasts as opposed to just Goats and Bulls maybe they start to include Boar like creatures, Hounds and other animals!!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

We may actually get a variety of Beasts as opposed to just Goats and Bulls maybe they start to include Boar like creatures, Hounds and other animals!!

Take a lead.from Wheel of Time and the various animal heads used on the Trollocs.  As I recall, and it has been a number of years since I read the books, they had a large number of different animal heads as well as birds.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

I think something to keep in mind with Skaven is that a lot of the online fanfare for them has been relatively recent.

While Skaven have always been an iconic Warhammer faction, I never remember them being especially popular in the tabletop - not underplayed, but hardly 'up there' with Warriors of Chaos and High Elves  - which is likely why they've had such limited updates over the years, but also weren't taken out to pasture like Bretonnians and Tomb Kings.

They were always one of those "I'd love a Skaven collection... BUT" armies, where people admired them from a distance but shirked away due to the cost. Horde armies are expensive in an expensive hobby, and we know what GW is like about marketing - if they weren't seeing sales figures for Skaven, they weren't going to put much effort into updating them. It's only recently they've had their finger on the pulse about anything other than raw sales data. 

It certainly wasn't until Warhammer: Total War II that the internet's fascination with them really exploded in my view and that was only five or so years ago - coincidentally not much younger than Age of Sigmar. 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 8

56 minutes ago, JohnnyWolf said:

What if the Theridons become the new Beast type faction? 

There is a decent amount of lore growing with them that I do wonder if they have bigger plans for them down the line. We have seen them before take one design aesthetic and turn it into an army. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jetlife said:

What if the Theridons become the new Beast type faction? 

There is a decent amount of lore growing with them that I do wonder if they have bigger plans for them down the line. We have seen them before take one design aesthetic and turn it into an army. 

That's true and I do love the models (and they are from ghur), though the units are way too cheap in points to build an entire STD army around them, so I had to pass on that.
Weirdly enough, they were a Destruction faction before having their city being destroyed by orruks and joining Archaon 

Edited by JohnnyWolf

30 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I heard it was actually the opposite of this. Namely that due to their iconic status Seraphon and Skaven were actually not having the same sales issues of other outdated model ranges and thus were in less need of getting updated?

But according to that logic then Space Marines are likely the worst selling army, haha.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

Skaven imho will come in Ulgu, as Eshin clan needs badly new models and they dwells there.
I'm worried about Moulder though becaue "age of beasts" would have been the best to introduce their new models of warp enginered monsters.

Agree 1000%. The different clans present a great opportunity to have updated Skaven in waves. 

Pestilens should have been very early in AOS when we had a lot of Stormcast and Sylvaneth vs Nurgle. Plague Monks and Censer Bearers really show their age. Pestilens could have fit right in.

Skyre wave could have been near KO introduction. Dwarf tech vs Skaven tech. Hello GW! Anyone home?

As you said, Moulder during age of beasts and Eshin when the focus shifts to Uglu. Night Runners may be the worst models in the entire GW lineup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

Skaven imho will come in Ulgu, as Eshin clan needs badly new models and they dwells there.
I'm worried about Moulder though becaue "age of beasts" would have been the best to introduce their new models of warp enginered monsters.

I’m down for ninja rats all day every day! Maybe they’ll expand on the units introduced in Total War Warhammer II (Eshin triads and sorcerer) and turn the clans Eshin into a proper major power in the region besides the elgi and Be’lakor…..

• Like 3

I think skaven fall into the same camp as seraphon, STD and night goblins in that they are mostly an old world resculpt army and I think GW might be limiting how many they make of those per edition vs new ideas. They might have also been held back as a "do we want to leave this for old world", especially if they barely change aesthetic (seraphon changed a little bit and chaos warriors probably couldn't have waited for old world being the big bad guys) as much as I love my gitz I am suprised those came before skaven though.

It's most likely a volume thing. Redoing a whole army is a big order and that's a lot of creative time, moulds to produce and release slots and such. Plus sometimes they want to pair a big update like that with something like a new edition to really fire up interest. 

Despite GW having a lot of resources, they are still finite and AoS has a lot of things that could do with an update. From armies like Flesheaters who basically need a lot more models added to armies like Skaven who don't really need more options but updated options.

All armies will get their time, its just a pain waiting when its the army you really want to see updated still waiting on an update.

• Like 4

I could see Skaven being the poster boy villains of 4th edition, though I wonder if they are (superficially) too similar to Kruleboyz to assume that role - you know, sadistic, backstabbing, miserable beings. If 4th edition was to turn the attention from the savagery of Ghur and the Era of the Beast to something more shadowy or artificial in nature, a horde of grotesque rat monstrosities and eccentric Warpstone artillery pieces might be the perfect transition.

Naturally, as a follower of the Great Plan the thought makes me shudder with contempt and saurian rage. Even so, after eons of feeding the same old plastic rat models to Great Sotek it might be nice with an updated menu...

Variety is the spice of life, after all.

Edited by Magnusaur
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Magnusaur said:

I could see Skaven being the poster boy villains of 4th edition, though I wonder if they are (superficially) too similar to Kruleboyz to assume that role - you know, sadistic, backstabbing, miserable beings. If 4th edition was to turn the attention from the savagery of Ghur and the Era of the Beast to something more shadowy or artificial in nature, a horde of grotesque rat monstrosities and eccentric Warpstone artillery pieces might be the perfect transition.

Naturally, as a follower of the Great Plan the thought makes me shudder with contempt and saurian rage. Even so, after eons of feeding the same old plastic rat models to Great Sotek it might be nice with an updated menu...

Variety is the spice of life, after all.

Moving to Ulgu, the Realm of Shadow, would set up for some sweet stuff. Eshin Skaven, expansions for the Daughters of Khaine, and finally seeing Malerion's elves. Thematically it'd be really cool, especially if we see other armies get units that focus on misinformation, assassination, etc. 

We'll see what happens. We're a long ways out from hearing any rumors about that sort of stuff. 

• Like 1