The Rumour Thread

This was kind of brought up with the K.O. announcement but I wonder if we'll ever see new Endless Spells or faction terrain again? 

From what I remember they were made offsite and when Covid hit they had a hard time to keep producing them. 

Also at least for the US Endless Spells: Disciples of Tzeentch has been out of stock since a little before book launch. 

I really like these releases and feel like they add a lot to the world of AoS but I guess their time is done? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DinoJon said:

This was kind of brought up with the K.O. announcement but I wonder if we'll ever see new Endless Spells or faction terrain again? 

From what I remember they were made offsite and when Covid hit they had a hard time to keep producing them. 

Also at least for the US Endless Spells: Disciples of Tzeentch has been out of stock since a little before book launch. 

I really like these releases and feel like they add a lot to the world of AoS but I guess their time is done? 

It definitely feels like it. The whole Endless Spell and Faction Terrain thing reminds me of way back when GW started giving out Flyers to 40k armies.

Everyone wanted one but not every faction has one. It's nice that they at least had the generic Endless Spells but even those can be hard to find. Even as I check the website, only the Stormcast and Bonereaper endless spells are available, and every other kind, including the generic, are all 'temporarily out of stock'. 

It could be an issue of distribution, it could be that they weren't as profitable as they wanted them to be, or any number of other factors. At the end of the day, it just kind of bites for it to be a 'some factions get this' thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

They could push arkanaut into that corsair role, they've all got melee weapons and pistols, and it would give them something to excel at, but maybe they'd be too cool then.
You could let them charge out of boats with a bonus, or be the only unit that can get out after the boat moves.

Frankly, that kinda of role would better fit their design and lore than their current status as cheap chaff anyway. They've always been this unit that's supposed to be slapped down on the table in big numbers to hold objectives and stuff but, like...you can barely fit a single MSU arkanaut unit on a frigate, man. Where exactly are all these hordes supposed to be appearing from on the battlefield? A single reinforced unit is enough to risk overburdening an Ironclad.

1 hour ago, madmac said:

Frankly, that kinda of role would better fit their design and lore than their current status as cheap chaff anyway. They've always been this unit that's supposed to be slapped down on the table in big numbers to hold objectives and stuff but, like...you can barely fit a single MSU arkanaut unit on a frigate, man. Where exactly are all these hordes supposed to be appearing from on the battlefield? A single reinforced unit is enough to risk overburdening an Ironclad.

Personally I think they should increase the frigate capacity to 11 or 12, kinda like an Ork Trukk in 40k. It gives it space to carry a squad of Arkanauts and a hero without slowing it down and incurring penalties. It would make people like Drekki Flynt more appealing, because you can take a hero without them flying solo or with other heroes and 5 thunderers.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DinoJon said:

Endless Spells, Faction Terrain (and some other terrain), and Warhammer Underworlds sets were produced in China and not their usual UK factory. I remember the AoS 2nd edition release for Sylvaneth was really delayed because right before it happened a trade war broke out between the US and China, making shipping prohibitively expensive. The Sylvaneth endless spells, battletomes, and new Wyldwood terrain models were delayed a few months because they were stuck in a port iirc. Since then GW has been less enthusiastic about faction terrain and spells it seems.

• Like 2

Two year shelf life? I wish! Most books get an update or FAQ within 4 weeks. 

I haven't bought a GW book in years and only use online resources or pdfs/scans. I can only vote with my money so until GW enters the 21st century and actually makes online PDFs of Codices that are automatically update when a FAQ or update releases, I'll continue to pirate the books. 

@Topic: Any rumours that KO will get more than the book + hero treatment? A new ship would be nice. Or a new unit like steam punk mechs etc would be dope. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Causalis said:

@Topic: Any rumours that KO will get more than the book + hero treatment? A new ship would be nice. Or a new unit like steam punk mechs etc would be dope. 

I believe not until they will be souped with FS and any other duardin factions. Next "big release" probably will looks like Orruk warclans. The best chances are getting warcry band but I think that FS are better candidates for that.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

Endless Spells, Faction Terrain (and some other terrain), and Warhammer Underworlds sets were produced in China and not their usual UK factory. I remember the AoS 2nd edition release for Sylvaneth was really delayed because right before it happened a trade war broke out between the US and China, making shipping prohibitively expensive. The Sylvaneth endless spells, battletomes, and new Wyldwood terrain models were delayed a few months because they were stuck in a port iirc. Since then GW has been less enthusiastic about faction terrain and spells it seems.

I think they won't do outsourced production for them if they return in the future and their own production is up and running.

1 hour ago, Causalis said:

Any rumours that KO will get more than the book + hero treatment? A new ship would be nice. Or a new unit like steam punk mechs etc would be dope.

If the rumors are true and the book pre-orders on the 4th of March, no, just the new hero and the tome. 

I'm very curious to see what happens next edition for both AoS and 40k. At this point most armies are quite well served when it comes to heroes. Even a pretty small faction like KO now has 7 hero options. Are we really going to get another round of this? I'd love to see GW move to a New book plus unit next edition. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I'm very curious to see what happens next edition for both AoS and 40k. At this point most armies are quite well served when it comes to heroes. Even a pretty small faction like KO now has 7 hero options. Are we really going to get another round of this? I'd love to see GW move to a New book plus unit next edition. 

most armies still have "legacy" whf units, so there's still place for mini upgrades.

There are really few new AoS armies that have a lot of stuff and could pass with one hero or small unit. I can just think of Stormcast, Lumineth and Nighthaunt. 

Armies that are going to be greatly renewed like seraphon and cities, most likely will still have old minis.

54 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

This seems likely. Articles this week, announcement on Sunday (19th), pre-order on Saturday the 25th, available from the 4th.

Actually pre order on 4th and available from the 11th. The NDA for the tome ends on 4th, so it should be the preorder date.

58 minutes ago, Gotz said:

most armies still have "legacy" whf units, so there's still place for mini upgrades.

There are really few new AoS armies that have a lot of stuff and could pass with one hero or small unit. I can just think of Stormcast, Lumineth and Nighthaunt. 

Armies that are going to be greatly renewed like seraphon and cities, most likely will still have old minis.

I think you misunderstood my point. Every edition gw does big updates for a handful of factions, like Seraphon, a couple more like gitz get a new unit but everyone else got just a book and a hero, usually on foot. A lot of factions are already hero heavy. Of course we'd love to have big updates for every faction but that simply isn't how GW does things. So are we just going to get another round of foot heroes for the factions which don't get a big update? It's starting to feel a bit redundant at this point. 

Even now I'm wondering what they would want to add to Soulblight. They already have a wide selection of vampire heroes. If two thirds of the factions are just going to get one thing, wouldn't it be better to do a unit than another foot hero? I'm pretty sure every OBR player would choose a unit of archers over another hero. 

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

Adding heroes is the highest margin thing they can do, take a formerly rejected sculpt, make mold and produce.

It gives them a few new pictures, and an incentive to get the new tome that has the new model.

Now they are often nice models, but infantry heroes have no options, and €25 for a single model is ludicrous.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chikout said:

My totally mad predictions
- Umbraneth with DoK and ID souping
- Kurnothi with possible sylvaneth souping (technically already happens)
- New dispossessed or new duardin faction with FS and KO souping
- Tyrion Lumineth
- Chaos duardins souping with StD and BoC
- Something for CoS (maybe new Arsenal?)
- Moulder or Ashen clan for Skaven
- Grots for GSG
- New models for warclans
- Hero for Lizards
- Something for SCE ofc. 
And maybe new editions will last for 4 years and we will visit 2 realms during one edition. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cofaxest said:

I believe not until they will be souped with FS and any other duardin factions. Next "big release" probably will looks like Orruk warclans. The best chances are getting warcry band but I think that FS are better candidates for that.  

I think if GW were going to have soup'ed Fyreslayers and Kharadron they'd have done it already. We had months and months of speculating and false-rumours that they would be, which amounted to nothing. Even the updated lore poked more holes in it.

The majority of armies this edition receive a foot Hero and nothing else, I doubt it points towards soup either.

Plus, with Dawnbringers/CoS' giant update next year, now would have been the time to give Dispossessed a home ahead of that, but thus far GW seems to be suggesting they're also staying as part of the book (albeit without new kits). 

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

I think you misunderstood my point. Every edition gw does big updates for a handful of factions, like Seraphon, a couple more like gitz get a new unit but everyone else got just a book and a hero, usually on foot. A lot of factions are already hero heavy. Of course we'd love to have big updates for every faction but that simply isn't how GW does things. So are we just going to get another round of foot heroes for the factions which don't get a big update? It's starting to feel a bit redundant at this point. 

Even now I'm wondering what they would want to add to Soulblight. They already have a wide selection of vampire heroes. If two thirds of the factions are just going to get one thing, wouldn't it be better to do a unit than another foot hero? I'm pretty sure every OBR player would choose a unit of archers over another hero. 

sorry I think i didn't explain properly ^^U

what I ment is that most factions still have old wf era models, so there is a lot of space for the updates being redesigns of existing units and not going the route of single hero releases. 

39 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I think if GW were going to have soup'ed Fyreslayers and Kharadron they'd have done it already. We had months and months of speculating and false-rumours that they would be, which amounted to nothing. Even the updated lore poked more holes in it.

The majority of armies this edition receive a foot Hero and nothing else, I doubt it points towards soup either.

Plus, with Dawnbringers/CoS' giant update next year, now would have been the time to give Dispossessed a home ahead of that, but thus far GW seems to be suggesting they're also staying as part of the book (albeit without new kits). 

I play IDK and DoK, and I refuse the idea of the soup the same manner as duardin do, but less books mean more time for the team to work on each book and some minis, and reduces the probability that your book is just too bad to be played seriously or forcing you to spam just one or two units.

Edited by Ragest
  • Like 1