The Rumour Thread

Kosargi are some of my favorite models and units in the whole AoS game and yes I want them to be a bigger thing. Give me a Kosargi zombie infantry unit, the lesser nightguard because they’re more decomposed, but elite zombies like grave guard are to deathrattle skeletons

Kosargi Reapers - 190(?) pts

3 wounds, 6 models, 5+ Save, 4” move, Bravery 10

Melee: Harvest Scythes

2” / 1 / 3+ / 4+ / -1 / 2

Deathly Vigour: 5+ ward

Wave of Undead Flesh: zombie 6” engagement and pile in

Sworn to the Wolf: increase the attack characteristics of this unit’s Harvest Scythes by 1 if they are wholly within 12” of a friendly Vyrkos Vampire Hero.

Merciless Visage: wound roll of 6+ deals 1 MW in addition to normal damage

keywords: Death, Soulblight Gravelords, Ogor, Kosargi, Kosargi Reapers, Deadwalkers, Summonable, Vyrkos, Deadwalker Zombies

Profile: battle line in Vyrkos Dynasty army

//my dream, nothing based on reality, weep//

Edited by Sahrial
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

3 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

If they really loved kruleboys they wouldn't have written the rules they did 😅

but they deal so many mOrTaL wOuNdS, yOu No LiKe mOrTaL wOuNdS!? Me noT UNderStANdiNg

WRiTiNG InTEreStiNg rULes NeEDS tIME mE NO HAvE.

bESt mE CAn dO IS OfFEr yOU moRe mOrTaL wOuNdS, YOu hApPY NOw!?

image.jpeg.59ef68e25fb0840415d33a6552065da2.jpeg

I can’t keep my eyes off the new Skeleton Warband. It looks so awesome!

Does anybody  k ow what blue they used for their ripped cloth?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Sahrial said:

Kosargi are some of my favorite models and units in the whole AoS game and yes I want them to be a bigger thing. Give me a Kosargi zombie infantry unit, the lesser nightguard because they’re more decomposed, but elite zombies like grave guard are to deathrattle skeletons

Kosargi Reapers - 190(?) pts

3 wounds, 6 models, 5+ Save, 4” move, Bravery 10

Melee: Harvest Scythes

2” / 1 / 3+ / 4+ / -1 / 2

Deathly Vigour: 5+ ward

Wave of Undead Flesh: zombie 6” engagement and pile in

Sworn to the Wolf: increase the attack characteristics of this unit’s Harvest Scythes by 1 if they are wholly within 12” of a friendly Vyrkos Vampire Hero.

Merciless Visage: wound roll of 6+ deals 1 MW in addition to normal damage

keywords: Death, Soulblight Gravelords, Ogor, Kosargi, Kosargi Reapers, Deadwalkers, Summonable, Vyrkos, Deadwalker Zombies

Profile: battle line in Vyrkos Dynasty army

//my dream, nothing based on reality, weep//

They’re also noted to have raiding fleets serving under the Wolf Duke.

So you can add naval elements to their Warscroll (or possibly make it a seperate unit of Kosargi harpooners) with a Deepstrike as they appear off-shore and use harpoons instead.

missile- 9”/ 1 / 3+ / 3+ / -1/ 2

melee- 2” / 1 / 3+ / 4+ / 0 / 2

Deadlier at ranged surprise attacks as they show unnerving accuracy with their Shyishian harpoons from centuries of spearing both sea monsters and villagers from their mist-shrouded Wolf ships.

4 hours ago, CDM said:

I'm in agreement. I think their lore and the aesthetic of most of the range is great. The only ones I don't like are the mortek guard and cavalry and it's a shame because it's most of what you see. An unusual miss from GW on these. It doesn't  help they look like they'd rank up for WFB as well.

Edit: right now I e gone back and looked at them. They would rank, 20 to a box, when they came out they already looked behind GWs usual curve. These were designed before AoS! (My conspiracy anyway!)

I find them really over-designed (and got quite a bit of hate for saying so back when they were new), especially because the armor is segmented when their overall body already sports the segmented look due to being made out of bones. It's simply too much, a cluttered mess that started with the throwaway Morghasts and while taste is subjective, I'd actually argue that the the overall design lacks readability and sophistication objectively. There are a couple of very cool minis in the range (like the Underworlds executioner mentioned already) but I find them to be one of the worst new armies GW put out and atrocious in comparison to every single other new skeletons we got since AoS/Underworlds (those other skeletons are all insanely good tho). Sometimes there's no need to reinvent the wheel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Oh snappiest of the snaps, got a whitefang like!!

Heard that means a bit a something round these parts. 

Or, they just liked what I had to say. 😒

😄

El Comillo Blanco strikes again...

You got a "love it!" from me too but apparently that doesn't tickle your fancy, you little ingrate!!! 😤 

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Elbaf said:

Cursed city miniatures as "miniature of the month" !

You can have a Vargskyr for free ??! ( or rats from the old dude)

Nah you'll get a rat or a zombie, maybe a skeleton warrior if you are very lucky.

The store owner friend on the other hand will get a Vargskyr or Radukar

I actually found the OBR a really refreshing take on the "necromancy reanimated soldiers" trope, and grew to really enjoy the range. I now LOVE the grins. Sure they might look silly to us, but a- Warhammer loves being tongue-in-cheek and b- lorewise those grins have got to be terrifying. Going to hazard a guess that idea came off the death grimace/death grin that happens when things in real life die (not just Skeletor), and IMO it was executed very well.

And not that the design has to be for everyone; I see what you're saying about the segmented armor over bone being slightly overdesigned. But let's not pretend silly heads aren't at home in the universe where the most powerful mage is a dead frog named... Kroak.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

😄

Nighthaunt vs Deathrattle would be the second best box ever after Orruks vs Gitz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

😄

New Black Knight kit then. Better sell the 30 I just bought from ebay. Charge of the wight brigade will have to wait.

But can you stop the cavalry?

Lorewise I’d imagine OBR vs DR would be more likely since the spreading Ossiarch empires is what caused both the Deathrattle kingdoms to ally closer with the Soulblight Dynasties for protection and why the average skeleton warrior is now a armored hero since all the unarmored skeletons have to hide to not be made into building material.

Could be if Talax’s path is claimed by Ossiarchs then it could be the ironically named Camp Fortune where things went to pot that newly raised skeleton warriors by the Wight King are gonna have to fight for their new unlives.

34 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I actually found the OBR a really refreshing take on the "necromancy reanimated soldiers" trope, and grew to really enjoy the range. I now LOVE the grins. Sure they might look silly to us, but a- Warhammer loves being tongue-in-cheek and b- lorewise those grins have got to be terrifying. Going to hazard a guess that idea came off the death grimace/death grin that happens when things in real life die (not just Skeletor), and IMO it was executed very well.

And not that the design has to be for everyone; I see what you're saying about the segmented armor over bone being slightly overdesigned. But let's not pretend silly heads aren't at home in the universe where the most powerful mage is a dead frog named... Kroak.

100%

I love Deathrattle and how cool their independent cultures are but Ossiarchs literally can be whatever their bone golem forces shaped them into. Giving endless design potential regular skeletons can’t match.

Golem samurais, multi-armed guards and bone mechas but just to name a few of the crazy things they can do.

image.jpeg.7093c55314ae31c3cb441af92b5a6a7d.jpeg
image.jpeg.ecab82f819ae1bc09123aad798089761.jpeg
image.jpeg.c996a03903cef42a376776fa1c26edef.jpeg

And their future release is chock full of potential even discounting what the warband had as Broken Realms gave them Ulgu & Hysh bones(potential ninja golems & laser cannon Harvesters) while the White Dearf update noted Ghurian empires where they make their carapaces out of monster tusks, horns and fangs along with it saying Ossiarchs without steady access to bones are experimenting with Realmstone parts and finding varied degrees of success becoming golems hybrids of bones & magic crystals.

And even how they operate their empires is over-the-too. They have navies but prefer to summon bone land bridges instead and connect landmasses across oceans so their tireless legions can march at full strength every where.

You can see the bone continent bridges on some Shyish maps:

image.jpeg.47655505da0edc69ecc7846b24882e1c.jpeg
Everything about Ossiarchs screams Age of Sigmar from being completely over-the-top on everything to endless design potential.

As said earlier they and Deathrattle make a perfect duo. Epic fantasy metal dialed to 12 vs classic bone boi tropes with AoS twists that complement eachother so the two bones factions can please whatever fans prefer which. :) 

Toss in the ghost bone bois of NightHaunt for middle-ground high fantasy spooks and Age of Sigmar has something for everybody.

levamqqug4m81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Like 9

4 hours ago, MitGas said:

I find them really over-designed (and got quite a bit of hate for saying so back when they were new), especially because the armor is segmented when their overall body already sports the segmented look due to being made out of bones. It's simply too much, a cluttered mess that started with the throwaway Morghasts and while taste is subjective, I'd actually argue that the the overall design lacks readability and sophistication objectively. There are a couple of very cool minis in the range (like the Underworlds executioner mentioned already) but I find them to be one of the worst new armies GW put out and atrocious in comparison to every single other new skeletons we got since AoS/Underworlds (those other skeletons are all insanely good tho). Sometimes there's no need to reinvent the wheel. 

Agreed. A year or two ago when I was looking into starting a Death army just for variety sake, I kept coming back to OBR. Theme, Playstyle, just not making me own a million models for a side army, on paper they were perfect, but I just can't with the aesthetic they have.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, madmac said:

Agreed. A year or two ago when I was looking into starting a Death army just for variety sake, I kept coming back to OBR. Theme, Playstyle, just not making me own a million models for a side army, on paper they were perfect, but I just can't with the aesthetic they have.

Yeah, I also heavily favor elite armies, just because I‘m a lazy and slow painter. I find the whole „golem/construct“ theme interesting (and personally I like some of the Yoshimitsu faces, I‘m sure his iconic Tekken 3 design played a part) but I can‘t get past the segmented armor for them (and that overtly complex blade in the artwork above). It feels too busy and gigeresque, a style I like for a xenomorph but that doesn‘t really click for me in this context. I hope they will keep their armor a but more streamlined in future releases, as I‘m convinced that would help. The basic construct premise, the samurai look, that‘s all cool.

That said, I’d still find cool vanilla Undead preferable… I just the typical Undead look, I’ll now just blame Castlevania as I‘m unwilling to fault myself. 😎👍

• Like 1

I know it's slightly off topic but while the conversation is on the Bonereapers, I really really recommend The Vulture Lord if any enjoyer hasn't read it yet.

It doesn't really shed much light on the Ossiarch society as a whole, it focuses more on a few central Bonereaper characters, but that was honestly the best listen (audiobook) I've had in a while, such a well written story in the Realm of Shyish.

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

I know it's slightly off topic but while the conversation is on the Bonereapers, I really really recommend The Vulture Lord if any enjoyer hasn't read it yet.

It doesn't really shed much light on the Ossiarch society as a whole, it focuses more on a few central Bonereaper characters, but that was honestly the best listen (audiobook) I've had in a while, such a well written story in the Realm of Shyish.

I second that. Reads like a novel of manners (to an extent, it’s still Black Library) and I really liked that.

• LOVE IT! 1

19 hours ago, EntMan said:

Fyreslayers should get a chariot. That'd be awesome.

Fyreslayers don't _need_ more units (not that I'm advocating against it), but what they need is a proper book. Each unit/loadout with it's own distinctive identity and role. And it could be done, there's enough variety in the army already to play with.

Spoiler

I strongly believe a lot that is happening in Gnarlwood is connected to the Spider incarnate (the undead looking arachnarok RE).

The setting also strongly fits the Spiderfang tribes. The Gnarlwood map shows the Spinecrawler Webs location next to the Moonclan the Great Stinkhorn. I think the Moonclan one is an Underworlds warband and the Spiderfang get a warband and later a new tome + Scuttleboss.

The Spiderfang will be threatened by a (insert chaos god) and summon a Spider incarnate from a pit filled with amber bones. This will fit nicely with a new seasons of war. I dont know how it fits the GW release schedule though. Thondia released in april so i expect them to release all of this around the same time just before the new 40k stuff cancels everything AoS for a while. 

I think this will be just a distraction from something bigger thats happening. Maybe the appearance of al these kinds of incarnates is the product of something bigger awakening somewhere. Could be Morghur (incarnate form?) leading to new Beasts models and this seasons finale. This also brings an opportunity for the Avangers of AoS (Alarielle, Kroak, Teclis, Sigmar) to bring things back to normal and a potential Seraphon/CoS release. Any major flaws in this theory?

Moved this post into its own topic.

For anyone interested:

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

Fyreslayers don't _need_ more units (not that I'm advocating against it), but what they need is a proper book. Each unit/loadout with it's own distinctive identity and role. And it could be done, there's enough variety in the army already to play with.

The current book is already good, the army just lacks options inherently. With only 1 unconditional battleline (Vulkite Berserkers), 1 elite unit and 1 shooting unit there's only so much that can be done troop-wise. The *entire* rest of the range consists of heroes. As heroes, we have 3 priests, 3 hero/monsters (no normal monsters), 2 melee heroes of which 1 is a better version of the other and Runefather/Runesons. No more heroes are necessary.

In general, Vulkite lists are a thing now with Vostarg, Greyfyrd focuses on heroes and can take some Auric Hearthguard, Hermdar allows you to go more elite and Lofnir focuses on the Magmadroths. Of course, some other lists are also possible. But its still an extreme lack of options within each list, and every model except for the Magmadroths is super slow.

Fyreslayers also has by far the most unexplored design space IMO, and they can be so easily fixed. They really need to lean into the AoS aspects of them that make them unique to make them stand out more. Mini Magmadroth cavalry would give us an unique elite unit to fix movement problems. Magmaqueens, runedaughters or another female berserker unit would finally offer Fyreslayers some of the female Duardin that have been extensively described in Fyreslayer lore but never actually shown on the tabletop. Ur-gold crazed duardin with an overload of runes. Half-magmadroth duardin. Even just Magmadroths or other beasts without riders, upgrade kits to turn some of our characters into named characters or make our units more unique, or an avatar of Grimnir could go a long way towards making the army more varied, AoS-ified and unique. The list goes on, yet GW just keeps giving us 1 hero model and calls it a day.

Fyreslayers are by far my favourite design out of any AoS faction (especially the Magmadroth side of the army), and have the most potential for expansion to really lean into their themes. I'm hoping 4th edition will finally actually expand the army, even a small Sylvaneth-like expansion would go a tremendous way towards solidifying the army's identity.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1