The Rumour Thread

I think the problem is with the article and not showing the ability or buff that makes them work as a unit. But since the NH book maybe not coming out for a while they are not really showing anything that not in the box currently. 

if there really nothing else they just basically worser then bowsnake 1.0 which where consider one of the worse units back then.

Honestly I'd be cool if the crossbow ghosts had mortal wounds.  At 12" range it's way less oppressive even though they have a deep strike.  At worst you basically have a salamander hunting back, but that's more okay on Nighthaunt since they generally suck :P

• Confused 1

Unless Nighthaunt have a global MW on 6 trait I don't think crossbows will be worth the trouble. Maybe there will be a Procession that favors them somehow. However it's usually better to take an already good unit and buff it further than take trash and hope they will become average.

22 minutes ago, novakai said:

I think the problem is with the article and not showing the ability or buff that makes them work as a unit. But since the NH book maybe not coming out for a while they are not really showing anything that not in the box currently. 

if there really nothing else they just basically worser then bowsnake 1.0 which where consider one of the worse units back then.

That's not a problem from GW's point of view, it's a feature. It's how war-com articles work. The object isn't to educate, it's to stir people up. It's the modern social media philosophy - that the point is to generate "engagement." They will look at this thread and say "jimmies rustled, mission accomplished." 

14 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

That's not a problem from GW's point of view, it's a feature. It's how war-com articles work. The object isn't to educate, it's to stir people up. It's the modern social media philosophy - that the point is to generate "engagement." They will look at this thread and say "jimmies rustled, mission accomplished." 

That not the reaction I see from the 40K rule preview side, that spice tau railguns was not rustling the jimmies of Tau players that for sure.

edit: I feel like the 40K writer know how to promote there rules and write their articles, the AoS article are scare and tries to spin mediocrity rules into something they are not

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, novakai said:

That not the reaction I see from the 40K rule preview side, that spice tau railguns was not rustling the jimmies of Tau players that for sure.

edit: I feel like the 40K writer know how to promote there rules and write their articles, the AoS article are scare and tries to spin mediocrity rules into something they are not

I think 40k is more oriented to competitive play and aos to narrative play or painters (because aos have the best minis in the world) in warcom.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ragest said:

I think 40k is more oriented to competitive play and aos to narrative play or painters (because aos have the best minis in the world) in warcom.

And yet here we are feeling whelm or underwhelmed about a shooting attack profile

and not getting much model anyway

Edited by novakai

1 hour ago, novakai said:

And yet here we are feeling whelm or underwhelmed about a shooting attack profile

and not getting much model anyway

I strongly believe the people who feel underwhelmed by certain rules are in the minority yet are most vocal.

The internet is an amazing echo chamber so it seems that the loudest voices speak for everyone and I don't believe that is true. 

The models drive sales not rules 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

I strongly believe the people who feel underwhelmed by certain rules are in the minority yet are most vocal.

The internet is an amazing echo chamber so it seems that the loudest voices speak for everyone and I don't believe that is true. 

The models drive sales not rules 

Do you think they have sold more fulminators or vanquishers? More vultures or mawkrushas? More salamanders or saurus? Sentinels or windriders? Horrors or kairics? 

Maybe when WHF was the standart that was right, today aos has evolved to a game and a game needs rules and if you have better rules you are going to sell better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ragest said:

Do you think they have sold more fulminators or vanquishers? More vultures or mawkrushas? More salamanders or saurus? Sentinels or windriders? Horrors or kairics? 

Maybe when WHF was the standart that was right, today aos has evolved to a game and a game needs rules and if you have better rules you are going to sell better.

We'll never know unless we get sales data but from the list you gave:

the mawcrusher is a awesome model, I have him and a vulture. 

Salamanders are better models than saurus (tho both need updating badly). 

I've 10 windriders in my lumineth and  10 sentinels. 

I've 20 acyoles and 10 horrors, mainly because acyoles are better models and because with more pink horrors, I have to paint more blue and brimstone. 

Rules come and go and while at the moment sentinels are stronger than windriders for example, that may not be the case in the next book. Being a meta chaser is okay if you can keep up but Ive found the best way to collect an army is to go for what you like and I do think the majority of people do that. 

• Like 7

It couldn’t hurt to have better rules (gameplay is one of the 4 pillars after all) but then GW based their whole release schedule on rule and rules book and not model in the end, so we sort of beholden to care about rule since that is sometime what our niche favorite armies sometime only ever get in a edition.

GW however probably is dictated by marine posterboy sells in the end 

• Like 2

Its possible things have shifted over the years but certainly GW previously thought rules being good or bad were almost irrelevant to model sales, the majority of people just bought stuff they like the look of. Theyve famously said in past reports that their primary market is collectors rather than gamers roughly around the birth of AoS? 

Im not sure the latter is entirely true, new editions certainly provide a notable bump on their graphs which certainly implies some connection, but then new editions inevitably come with a swathe of shiny new models anyway :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MarkK said:

I would have thought this was true, until the Nurgle book came out, can't get a maggot lord for love or money!

Again tho it's a awesome model and I know what you're saying, I have a spot in my cabinet for for him once it comes back into stock! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Its possible things have shifted over the years but certainly GW previously thought rules being good or bad were almost irrelevant to model sales, the majority of people just bought stuff they like the look of. Theyve famously said in past reports that their primary market is collectors rather than gamers roughly around the birth of AoS? 

Im not sure the latter is entirely true, new editions certainly provide a notable bump on their graphs which certainly implies some connection, but then new editions inevitably come with a swathe of shiny new models anyway :D

I've always felt this argument by GW was disingenuous at best, and an excuse for unbalanced rules at worst. Like, they really think a person that buys models solely for hobby reasons is going to amass the kind of army a competitive player will? I don't really believe it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ogregut said:

We'll never know unless we get sales data but from the list you gave:

the mawcrusher is a awesome model, I have him and a vulture. 

Salamanders are better models than saurus (tho both need updating badly). 

I've 10 windriders in my lumineth and  10 sentinels. 

I've 20 acyoles and 10 horrors, mainly because acyoles are better models and because with more pink horrors, I have to paint more blue and brimstone. 

Rules come and go and while at the moment sentinels are stronger than windriders for example, that may not be the case in the next book. Being a meta chaser is okay if you can keep up but Ive found the best way to collect an army is to go for what you like and I do think the majority of people do that. 

I just checked some stores to see what is out of stock from the latest books.

AOS:

Nurgle: Flies and Lords.

IDK: Thralls and Akhelian King.

FS: -

Tau: Broadsides and crisis.

CW:  Falcon, Spinner, Hawks, Dragons, Banshees, Eldrad, Karandras, Baharroth.

Harlequins: almost everything but some characters.

So, maybe gw decided to have less boxes of the minis with the best rules or people are buying the minis with the best rules. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ragest said:

I just checked some stores to see what is out of stock from the latest books.

AOS:

Nurgle: Flies and Lords.

IDK: Thralls and Akhelian King.

FS: -

Tau: Broadsides and crisis.

CW:  Falcon, Spinner, Hawks, Dragons, Banshees, Eldrad, Karandras, Baharroth.

Harlequins: almost everything but some characters.

So, maybe gw decided to have less boxes of the minis with the best rules or people are buying the minis with the best rules. 

Maybe it's regional. On the UK store vandus hammerhand, the grimwrath beserker, the battlesmith, the runesmiter are out of stock. 

To be genuine, I think that when models first come out, the best looking models sell best but once a model is several years old a new book with good rules will drive sales.

My understanding though is that most minis sell more in the first month than their total sales after that so the rules related sales spike isn't nearly as big as the looks sales spike. Of course models like the Akhelian King get both. I don't have an idk army but I bought one just because it looks amazing. 20220324_085018.jpg.ca3da044c046f35a33ac1ede9dbd30c2.jpg

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Less then an hour until the big reveals, ladies and gents, if you’re still awake place your bets now.

Skaven and Sylvaneth for summer books, teaser for chaos dwarves.

40k will be knights vs chaos knights, World Eaters teased.

The other things I don't really care enough about to consider.

2 hours ago, CeleFAZE said:

I've always felt this argument by GW was disingenuous at best, and an excuse for unbalanced rules at worst. Like, they really think a person that buys models solely for hobby reasons is going to amass the kind of army a competitive player will? I don't really believe it.

I mean, i can tell you for a fact the best customer our GW store had was purely a collector and had absolutely no interest in the games. Retired gent came in every day or so, chatted and picked out a box of minis he liked the look of to paint, came back when he finished them, plus any supplies he needed. The only people who bought more models was the staff and that was mostly for hoarding purposes :P (Though weirdly enough i have a batch of minis i bought around then in front of me being worked on). 

Now that just one anecdotal example, but if you asked any regular at the store about the guy they would have had no idea. Anyone at the local clubs either. By the nature of their hobby collectors arent interacting with gamers at all socially so id fully believe there are plenty more of them ignoring the tiny niche of gamers even who chat in forums and such.

Thats ignoring all the people who do game but dont meta chase or follow the game particularly closely, i know at least 3 people personally who collect one or two ranges obsessively, just buying models they want regardless of performance. Arguably im drifting into that category myself in my middle age, i mean Eshin Skaven is pretty far from optimal right now :D

• Like 2