The Rumour Thread

18 minutes ago, EonChao said:

That's honestly the main reason I'm excited about The Old World, various new sources for Cities of Sigmar models to increase variety

I'm just hoping Tomb Kings kits are brought back at a reasonable price :) . Still, the amount of lore and kits that are coming our way, from Kislev and Cathay alone, will spark hundreds of projects. I once told @Neverchosen over on the Old World Discussion thread that I plan on making an Ainu themed army from Kislev and Cathay (or Nippon if they ever release them) kitbashes when the time comes, to say nothing about my plans for Araby.

Edited by Loyal Son of Khemri
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

I'm just hoping Tomb Kings kits are brought back at a reasonable price :) . Still, the amount of lore and kits that are coming our way, from Kislev and Cathay alone, will spark hundreds of projects. I once told @Neverchosen over on the Old World Discussion thread that I plan on making an Ainu themed army from Kislev and Cathay (or Nippon if they ever release them) kitbashes when the time comes, to say nothing about my plans for Araby.

Reasonable price and GW don’t go together lol

well especially with inflation not going down anytime soon

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Talas said:

I think this is an interesting rule to say the least, and I'm definitely looking forward to how it pans out. Happy that they've got penalties for taking the best stuff as well as bonuses for taking poor performers. 

On the other hand, did they just nerf Khorne again? 🙃

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Talas said:

The Death section being completely blank of targets did get a chuckle out of me.

It's interesting that there was that (supposedly) fake 40k ban-list doing the rounds last week, and AoS seems to be taking the opposite approach by punishing you for losing powerful units, rather than outright banning them. Curious to see how this works out.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I think this is an interesting rule to say the least, and I'm definitely looking forward to how it pans out. Happy that they've got penalties for taking the best stuff as well as bonuses for taking poor performers. 

On the other hand, did they just nerf Khorne again? 🙃

It is weird because it is a band-aid solution... but it is a nice band-aid like a Hello Kitty or Spiderman band-aid. I do think it is a sensible rule that upon reflection should have always been a part of balancing mechanics like killing the physical manifestation of a god really should be worth a VP or two. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

Eh I am not sure about this new rule it basically stuff that currently OP, you gain a point for killing it, and if your army or units is UP, you gain another point for killing the OP thing.

it kind of acknowledging the imbalance but not really addressing it just giving some arbitrary up and down side

Edit: I don’t know, reading a few time it just rubs me the wrong way. Something like your army sucks so you get more points for killing OP doesn’t sound great when your army still bottom line sucks

Edited by novakai
  • Like 7

On 3/13/2022 at 6:17 AM, KingBrodd said:

I believe the rest of the year will be Battletomes and Single Model releases so I'm keen to find out which these last 2 Tomes will be. My money is on a Chaos and Death Tome, I'm guessing Flesh Eater Courts and Slaves to Darkness.

Yea I'm expecting one of those REs to be some type of FEC hero, they seem very overdue based on other Death releases.

• Like 1

Just a lesser change that wont change anything.

Just tell us the units that are broken as we know allready and the armys underperforming(the forgot fyreslayers there) and then get 0 nerfs or buff to these

No change of points,only a new system where if you kill one of the overpowers units that needed nerfs in points you get one victory point.

The list are all the units that needed increases in points as fulmis,dragon,morathi and snakes,belakor and compamy,giants,maw krusha,salamanders and bastilodom etc.

In my opinion this update is useless, 1\3 extra victory points when you have lost wont change anyhing almost never and gonna be more papers and things to keep track in the game.

These units needed big increases in cost or a change in rules(as sevireth or dragons)

Edited by Doko
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, novakai said:

Eh I am not sure about this new rule it basically stuff that currently OP, you gain a point for killing it, and if your army or units is UP, you gain another point for killing the OP thing.

it kind of acknowledging the imbalance but not really addressing it just giving some arbitrary up and down side

Edit: I don’t know, reading a few time it just rubs me the wrong way. Something like your army sucks so you get more points for killing OP doesn’t sound great when your army still bottom line sucks

I think, as @Neverchosen has said, it's a bandaid solution before changing points to see if it helps tide things over. Potentially it's more there to discourage spamming while still allowing you to do so - for example, if you had two units of max reinforced pink horrors and you were playing against a Prime Hunter list, then you risk giving your opponent 12 victory points to your opponent, which could well cost you the game. Of course, they might not manage to do that, but the threat of it being possible may do more to cut down on spam. 

With points, you can cut down on spam by making something so expensive it's unviable to spam it - this can work, but it's a pretty black and white solution where you either can't afford it in your list or you can. This new way doesn't force anyone to change their list, but it does increase the risk of spamming a unit. 

I don't think it will have an enormous impact on competitive, but I like the idea behind it. Potentially in the future the Prime Hunters will get different abilities, like extra command points.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's basically community comp...from the company itself. Which is bizarre. It's an admission the game is so imbalanced that you have to give handicaps to bad factions and penalties for taking overpowered units...when you're the designers, so you could just actually correct the problems and then you wouldn't need to comp them.

Totally bizarre. I have to hand it to GW, it never even occurred to me that they'd try something like this.

OTOH, it is a straight buff to bad factions and a straight nerf to overpowered units. So the game may be better off than it was before the change. But I still don't like it as a matter of principle. Handicaps are not the way a company should be balancing its game. 

• Like 6

basti continued nerfs amazes me. it is the worst ranged unit dmg/points im sure ( none can be worst than average of 6dmg for 250p), even counting 2xshotting( spendc1cp, only 1 faction. cloose to general etc) it do around same dmg per points than lot of ranged units.

and i dont see every faction with atack 2 times, or cp of +1atacks getting x2 his cost only for that...

and agree it wont fix anything. only +60p on fulmis, dragons and some nurgle things would start to fix the meta. or sc not being able to get every cities passives doing them so broken

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

It's basically community comp...from the company itself. Which is bizarre. It's an admission the game is so imbalanced that you have to give handicaps to bad factions and penalties for taking overpowered units...when you're the designers, so you could just actually correct the problems and then you wouldn't need to comp them.

Totally bizarre. I have to hand it to GW, it never even occurred to me that they'd try something like this.

OTOH, it is a straight buff to bad factions and a straight nerf to overpowered units. So the game may be better off than it was before the change. But I still don't like it as a matter of principle. Handicaps are not the way a company should be balancing its game. 

It's the minimum effort required on there part, but still nets them applause from the "see? SEE? GW -is- listening and making changes!"

• Like 2

I think It does give armies that don’t have the damage check against megagargants a better chance at scoring against them in later turns

it does give me a feels bad as someone who own and play Sons since it basically a target against you because since GW made your army the way it is now. But what can you do.

edit: I think this can work in Meta and hyper competitive sense it just the rule I just really dislike 

Edited by novakai

I think the problem is the ghb. That book is already at the printers, presumably alongside another points update. Unfortunately since the points in that book were locked into place months ago GW is never going to be able to update points in a sensible way. 

The alternative is to try stuff like this. 

• Like 1

Which is again why updating points values via a printed book that has to be to the printers months ahead of time is literally crazy. 

"Here's our online update to try to fix the fact that our actual update that is supposed to balance the game can't because we don't release it often enough and it's always out of date by months by the time it does release." It's utterly bizarre when you actually think about it. 

It's also another level of complication, more things for people to forget, and another level of strategy b/c now you want to use your "prime overpowered" units to wear down their "prime overpowered" units but not quite kill them then plink them off with something else to get the points, which feels gimmicky. Which I don't think the game really needed. AOS3's base rules are complicated enough without introducing yet another scoring minigame. When you are dealing with a monster doing a battle tactic against another monster that gives the bonus points that is also a prime overpowered unit you are getting into accounting territory to figure out how many points you score. 

I don't think "I won the game b/c my longstrikes brought his gargant to 2 wounds instead of outright killing it, so I could plink off the last wounds with my hero instead to get 2 extra VP" feels like a good way to win a match in a miniatures game, it feels gimmicky. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 6

I'll be honest, I dislike this update. A lot. I feels extremely half-baked.

I think there will be three things we see from this;

-Sons will not be seen at top tables anymore. At all.

-Bonesplitterz and Gitz will be even more reliant on Kragnos.

-You might see a couple more lists bring the other Dracothian Guard but I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

I'll be honest, I dislike this update. A lot. I feels extremely half-baked.

I think there will be three things we see from this;

-Sons will not be seen at top tables anymore. At all.

-Bonesplitterz and Gitz will be even more reliant on Kragnos.

-You might see a couple more lists bring the other Dracothian Guard but I wouldn't count on it.

If sons can still kick an objective an inch out of their territory and score double points for it all game I don't think this is gonna bring them down. Not like nighthaunt are gonna table them so it's a 2-4 vp difference now?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Talas said:

I don't know if I love this rule. It's very exception based, rewarding and penalizing players for taking certain units not because of any properties emerging from the core game mechanics, but rather because it has been declared by word of god that some units just give up extra victory points. And this is not even supported by the fiction either, victory points being an entirely abstract resource after all.

This update is aimed squarely at competitive players, because it matters very little for casuals who don't care primarily about VP/winning. But I somehow doubt that competitive players will love this kind of "artificial" rebalancing.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

OTOH, it is a straight buff to bad factions and a straight nerf to overpowered units. So the game may be better off than it was before the change. But I still don't like it as a matter of principle. Handicaps are not the way a company should be balancing its game

The competitive results will probably even out a bit, but it will be an illusory improvement. The imbalance people experience at the table will be as bad as before. The game won't play any better, but the factions will look more balanced if you only look at competitive data.

• Like 5

It's not going to get a good reception from competitive players, and they knew it wasn't going to get a good reception, because they even plead with you in the announcement not to complain about it:

“We’re aware that this change will be more effective at addressing certain types of issues than others,” Matt explains. “Keep in mind, this is just one part of a bigger picture. We’ll continue to release updated warscrolls and allegiance abilities in Battletomes and other supplements, and keep rebalancing points values in the General’s Handbooks.”

Translation: "We know this is a band-aid on a bullet wound and not the ideal approach, but please be happy anyway." 

Honestly it is somewhat worrying to see how limited the resources being allocated to these updates are, that this is all they are able (or allowed) to do. This feels like even more of a "Friday afternoon special" than the last one. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1