The Rumour Thread

25 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

If I read things correctly, Stormbringer would be about a 25% save, but between online retailer discounts and Dominion prices, that's not a lot of saving for the lack of choice and the inconvenient format.

Please tell me I read that wrong.

Someone did a calculation and it's about 50% not counting the paints, brushes etc that are usually sprinkled into the collection. 

Just now, Chikout said:

Someone did a calculation and it's about 50% not counting the paints, brushes etc that are usually sprinkled into the collection. 

That is better. Not enough for me even if it gets to mainland Europe though.

I don't value the non-model stuff from GW that highly, though they may be the tiny sample pots which do not have the awful lid design.

5 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

That is better. Not enough for me even if it gets to mainland Europe though.

I don't value the non-model stuff from GW that highly, though they may be the tiny sample pots which do not have the awful lid design.

The paints in previous runs have so far been the regular GW paints for better or worse.

And I think it's important to remember this isn't designed for us, we're committed and often heavily invested. Games Workshop want this to be a gateway to newer younger players who'll see it in shops and get interested. In my case it hits my collections perfectly in that it's all for armies I have or have started without too much duplication and the slow burn roll out of it will make it something I can possibly work through with my niece. But if it didn't hit right for my collection I'd just order the few issues I want.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Some interesting data from Goonhammer.

GH22Survey_AOS_Faction.png

Take it with a large grain of salt, since their readers obviously skew into the competitive. Off the top of my head though, nothing seems too out of place beyond the surprisingly low placement of Lumineth, given they seem very popular both casually and competitive in my experience. 

Sauce.

Other than telling us what those 826 people play as their primary army, it tells us nothing else. 

I wouldn't draw any assumptions from that very small sample size. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Other than telling us what those 826 people play as their primary army, it tells us nothing else. 

It does pretty much align with other similar polls though. Fyreslayers are way down at the bottom despite being an ok army competitively. Nighthaunt and Gloomspite are the opposite. Factions with older minis need good rules to keep them popular. This is all the same as the Warhammer weekly survey and the one a user here did. 

When you have 3 different surveys all posting similar results, you can start to draw some conclusions. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chikout said:

It does pretty much align with other similar polls though. Fyreslayers are way down at the bottom despite being an ok army competitively. Nighthaunt and Gloomspite are the opposite. Factions with older minis need good rules to keep them popular. This is all the same as the Warhammer weekly survey and the one a user here did. 

When you have 3 different surveys all posting similar results, you can start to draw some conclusions. 

Fyreslayers outpace Behemat and First Prince though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Fyreslayers outpace Behemat and First Prince though.

But who has Sons of Behemat as their primary army? That's the army you get after you already have another army because that way you get a different play style and only have to paint four models.

Also, Legion of the First Prince is not real and can't hurt you.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

But who has Sons of Behemat as their primary army? That's the army you get after you already have another army because that way you get a different play style and only have to paint four models.

Also, Legion of the First Prince is not real and can't hurt you.

It was my main for a while. After Gloomspite Gitz fell into the Dan Hibiki pit I floundered around until I decided to go hard on Sons of Behemat, and I enjoyed it for a good year before I got tired, right around the time the new Warclans book came out. "Primary army" is a weird question to nail down, I'm willing to bet that SoB is a lit of people's current primary army, but maybe not necessarily their first or only love.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ogregut said:

826 people is not at all a small sample size statistically. Nationwide polls are often conducted with similar survey sizes and the population of AoS players is relatively much smaller. The margin of error should be pretty good. The more relevant question is "is there a bias or skew to the type of player that would respond to this survey?"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aztok said:

It was my main for a while. After Gloomspite Gitz fell into the Dan Hibiki pit I floundered around until I decided to go hard on Sons of Behemat, and I enjoyed it for a good year before I got tired, right around the time the new Warclans book came out. "Primary army" is a weird question to nail down, I'm willing to bet that SoB is a lit of people's current primary army, but maybe not necessarily their first or only love.

Another reason the survey means nothing other than what did the respondent deem to be their 'primary army' on the day they answered. 

Ask the same people a week later and you could get different results. 

1 minute ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

826 people is not at all a small sample size statistically. Nationwide polls are often conducted with similar survey sizes and the population of AoS players is relatively much smaller. The margin of error should be pretty good. The more relevant question is "is there a bias or skew to the type of player that would respond to this survey?"

True, nationwide surveys are conducted with similar sizes and they to are pretty worthless. 

As I said above, surveys are good for getting a snapshop of those particular people at that particular time and as you say is there a bias or skew to who responded. 

Yeah, I'm not fond of "primary army" polls, because that's such a nebulous term that's murky at best in terms of preferences. It's pretty much "what army are you most excited about this week".

Would be slightly more illustrative to have people just multiple choice all the armies they own/play, IMO.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Today's the day.

I want to play so bad! But my Mac keeps saying I’m missing an executable when I try to launch it😭. Anyone know how to fix that on steam?

Edit: I just saw that CA hasn't released the game on MacOS yet, and won't do so until early spring...... 

Edited by Loyal Son of Khemri
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Today's the day.

I am still upset that only the humans get cool lady legendary lords (even slaanesh's is just straight up male coded in design) but one of those turns into a dragon so I'm very happy about that.

Looking forward to the different armies to fight though :) Got bored of elves in 2 and im also stoked to see how the demon prince can be customised!!

Also looking forward to eventual dlc lords... Valkia when?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lightbox said:

I am still upset that only the humans get cool lady legendary lords (even slaanesh's is just straight up male coded in design) but one of those turns into a dragon so I'm very happy about that.

Looking forward to the different armies to fight though :) Got bored of elves in 2 and im also stoked to see how the demon prince can be customised!!

Also looking forward to eventual dlc lords... Valkia when?

Hatred of Elves is always a good thing (especially when they're in a desert where they don't belong (IMRIK!!!)). As for DLC lords, I think Tamurkhan is our best bet for a round 1 pick. We have Cathay ready, and he could expand the mortal side of Nurgle by bringing in Plague Ogres and/or Blight Kings.

• Like 2

The one they did for 40K was better (had both primary army and army owned) and had way more traction (2321 people). It really does show the community size difference

51DCB8E8-17F3-4BF1-9A27-2C8982DB0AAD.jpeg.f6039889e71692eab45e7c67dda11ff6.jpeg
nothing here is really surprising like Marines are top dog, and chaos being second is only because they combined all three in one category. I think the only think you can infer is that starter set army get a big boost when they are release (Necrons and Warclans)

24 minutes ago, novakai said:

The one they did for 40K was better (had both primary army and army owned) and had way more traction (2321 people). It really does show the community size difference

51DCB8E8-17F3-4BF1-9A27-2C8982DB0AAD.jpeg.f6039889e71692eab45e7c67dda11ff6.jpeg
nothing here is really surprising like Marines are top dog, and chaos being second is only because they combined all three in one category. I think the only think you can infer is that starter set army get a big boost when they are release (Necrons and Warclans)

Oof, 50% are some flavour of space marine mains (vanilla, chaos or gold).

No wonder GW keeps making sm heroes.

Even I have a space marine somewhere, not yet made basing material.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, novakai said:

Yeah with modern range refreshes for the starter army that isn't Stormcast or Space Marines they become a lot more appealing than they did in the past. Couple that with things like Mortal Realms doing big discounts on armies, you probably end up with increased uptake of people starting that army. Makes me hope for Death Guard in 10th edition 40k so I can avoid a whole new army ;)

8 hours ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

We had this discussion on here before and someone much cleverer than meade the point that as well as size of sample, what is key is how the sample is selected. So a truly random sample of 800 people could in some circumstances be a v good indicator of a much larger population. That is why randomised nationwide polls can have a bit more value - the goonhammer web poll is more akin to a poll that is put on a political parties own web page in terms of randomisation - and that's why it's right to be very sceptical of the data.

That said, that doesn't mean the data isn't useful or interesting and I certainly don't mean to imply that goonhammer act in bad faith like a political party would do!

• Like 4