The Rumour Thread

15 hours ago, Envyus said:

Oh the Made to Order stuff. I can't for the life of me understand why they discontinued Gorbad there.

Like he fits in really well with the current Orc line, it just makes no sense to me that they kept this Orc Warboss.

d7zhHil.jpg

Yet this much better looking Orc Warboss was discontinuedPUlRRBG.jpg.

It's a plastic vs. resin thing but I agree. That plastic orc warboss is a dreadful model, let alone the boar which isn't up to the standard of the (later, admittedly) basic boar boys.

It's my go-to example when folks talk about wanting the brief period of big plastic multi-part character kits back. Great idea in theory but too much is sacrificed in terms of sculpt quality and character for the sake of having arms that work with multiple options. Variety isn't worth much if it's a variety of ugly models. Possibly it could be done well now GW plastic sculpting has come on but the Empire general and the wizards were the only half-decent ones produced.

• Thanks 1

HOORAY!

Gorbad Ironclaw was one of the only Orc & Goblin miniatures over the last 20 years that I don't own and it really annoyed me that I did not grab him before he was discontinued.  I even have exclusives like the Gamesday Black Orc, limited edition Night Goblin warlord, and tons of other stuff, but Gorbad has been a pain to get a hold of.  On ebay he is marked up higher than most similar discontinued models often are and generally sells for $120-$145.

I'll be buying at least 3 of this guy.  I was hoping that he would be in one of the next couple of waves of GW print-on-demand and it looks like I lucked out.  I'll probably snag another Grom as well.  If GW ever reprinted the old metal Kev Adams forest goblin models I would just mail them a house-payment.

• Like 1

I just remembered... my FLGS got an original copy of Gorbad a few months ago as a return. They might even still have it...

7 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

If anyone's curious what a Knight-Incantor built from that set looks like, there is one in the Battletome - he's painted up in the Celestial Warbringers colour scheme. I'll post a pic tonight if people want. 

Found it!

Knight-incantor.PNG.8ef24872861e1f66432cbae2ee8335c6.PNG

Also discovered that the Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline apparently builds out of the mounted Evocator kit (weird - why not make him an alternate build of Solbright instead?) and finally found pictures of a Sequitor with a sword and an Evocator with a grandstave.

sequitor-sword.PNG.a387633b0bbefe76f03264b68728060a.PNGevocator-grandstave.PNG.281b968e10328b82d475fb13e8523154.PNG

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Swooper said:

Also discovered that the Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline apparently builds out of the mounted Evocator kit (weird - why not make him an alternate build of Solbright instead?) 

I can answer this, at least - Solbright is an easy-to-build kit, so presumably couldn't have multiple possible builds. 

1 hour ago, robinlvalentine said:

I can answer this, at least - Solbright is an easy-to-build kit, so presumably couldn't have multiple possible builds. 

Would be easy to offer, say, an alternate head and a staff. Even the easy build sequitors have an alternate head for the prime.

1 hour ago, Swooper said:

Would be easy to offer, say, an alternate head and a staff. Even the easy build sequitors have an alternate head for the prime.

I'd imagine one of the goals of the easy-build kits is to keep things simple - a head swap is one thing, but the idea that a kit can be built in two different ways entirely is probably a step too far. Also probably helps keep the set cheap to have less going on, which also seems to be one of the aims. 

I think she looks generic enough for it not to be an issue - you can just use her as a generic Lord-Arcanum anyway. 

Isn't there a FW event coming up? I wonder if we'll hear anything about the new Sigmar team and what projects they could be working on. I still feel that FW has to pay proper attention; we got the new warscrolls but they didn't even adjust the alliance that some of the models have (Myerwurm clearly needs to  be allowed into Idoneth)

3 hours ago, Overread said:

but they didn't even adjust the alliance that some of the models have (Myerwurm clearly needs to  be allowed into Idoneth)

Only if they want to sell the silly thing.  Even in Destruction people are not chomping at the bit to use a lot of the generic monsters since they cannot be included as allies in many cases due to the lack of a Destruction monsters faction to ally with.

Do they need a "monsters faction?"  

Far as I'm aware so long as the monster has the Grand Alliance key word for Destruction then it can be allied into any destruction force. The only ones that would have limits are those such as Skaven or Ork that have the keyword printed in their keyword list. Though I will agree it is somewhat messy at present and I think that FW has to take a proper look at them in general. 

hopefully along with a big release of some new critters. I'd love to see FW do some more dragons and the like 

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

Do they need a "monsters faction?"  

Far as I'm aware so long as the monster has the Grand Alliance key word for Destruction then it can be allied into any destruction force. The only ones that would have limits are those such as Skaven or Ork that have the keyword printed in their keyword list. Though I will agree it is somewhat messy at present and I think that FW has to take a proper look at them in general. 

hopefully along with a big release of some new critters. I'd love to see FW do some more dragons and the like 

No, you cannot ally something unless it has an allegiance.  Things without an allegiance can only be taken if you play using the general allegiance.  Chaos and Death both have a "monsters" faction and so they can play a list of a specific allegiance and still often include the monsters as allies.  With destruction you would have to play generic destruction in many cases to get access to a large chunk of the Forgeworld destruction monsters such as the Merwyrm so these things don't even end up in the conversation at all unless they are really good - such as the Magma Dragon.

Those prices are all over the place. Ghost winged-horse dude is 25 $ but cat-dragonlady of roughly the same amount of plastic is 40 bucks. And the hoverthrone guy is even 5 bucks more.... Either bols messed up, again, or gw rolled dice for their prices this time. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bloodmaster said:

Those prices are all over the place. Ghost winged-horse dude is 25 $ but cat-dragonlady of roughly the same amount of plastic is 40 bucks. And the hoverthrone guy is even 5 bucks more.... Either bols messed up, again, or gw rolled dice for their prices this time. 

I think the price difference here is easy to build vs multipart. GW has never done prices based on plastic amount.

You need to factor in development time and costs. Production costs. This might be quite different, even if the volume of plastic is the same.

I think we're all aware by now that it's a pricy hobby and the sets we spend 50 quid on might only cost 50p to make. That's not the point. 

I do, however, agree that it seems like a D20 is rolled sometimes and I do wish some kits (like Witch Aelves) were priced more "competitively" ?

Hmmm... looks interesting. I'm torn between Destruction (as it looks badly put together) and Chaos (because skin capes are in). Reminds me of Fabius Bile. 

Screenshot_20180710-143506_Facebook.jpg

Fabius's cloak, for reference:

Screenshot_20180710-143919_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Enoby
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Hmmm... looks interesting. I'm torn between Destruction (as it looks badly put together) and Chaos (because skin capes are in). Reminds me of Fabius Bile. 

Screenshot_20180710-143506_Facebook.jpg

Fabius's cloak, for reference:

Screenshot_20180710-143919_Chrome.jpg

My two guess would be a new Dark Eldar Archon or something related with the Tenebrael Shard from silver tower 

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

How in the hell is the Grimhaler only $25 but a single sprue stomcast hero is 35-40$... O_o

Not complaining as ill eventually get that model but da fuq!?....

Grimhailer is easy-to-build - and presumably GW's intention with him (and Aventis) is to provide an accessible gateway drug for centrepiece characters, so they may have knocked the price down even more to encourage that 

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

How in the hell is the Grimhaler only $25 but a single sprue stomcast hero is 35-40$... O_o

Not complaining as ill eventually get that model but da fuq!?....

Bols is the second worst warhammer site on the Internet. As usual they have their facts wrong. Solbright and grimhailer are the same price. They are both easy to build. The dreadharrows are $25 and also easy to build. The throne guy is not easy to build which is why he is a bit more expensive. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2