The Rumour Thread

26 minutes ago, Bloodmaster said:

But zombies and skelets walking because of magic is ok?

To be honest i'm with @elfhead here. I don't mind zombies walking because they still adhere to gravity ;) (also he never said he was but that's up to him/her) 

Not the best argument I know, but suspended disbelief works to a personal point. And floating turtles doesn't work for me. Maybe with the backstory it will work. But i'm far happier with my walking DoK statue that moves because of prayers and bloodshed ;)

It doesn't bother me that they fly what bothers me how this release seem to lack creativity. Sharks and fish riders are just copied Dark Eldar Bikers and Harlequin double bikers, guy on huge sea horse is copied Manfred, melee infantry looks like Incubi with less armour and bald heads. And turtle is only ok - just a giant turtle with platoform nothing orginal like Alarielle flying Beetle. I like heroes a lot (even Manfred guy as it's still an awesome model) and shooting infantry looks really cool and really dynamic but apart from that it's just lazy design with big part of this range - especially after how awesome and fresh Khineri, Melusai and Morathi look like. I was expecting crazy, fresh take like KO not bascially copies of Wh40k and Death designs. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Killax said:

Love the new look and design largerly.

Except for that infantry, does it lack eyes? Was it just not painted on? It looks a bit strange to me.

They're supposed to have lived underwater for a long time, so presumably some would have been in deep, dark trenches and lost the need for sight, much like some existing real-world deepwater fish.

Personally I quite like the idea and look.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, The Mysterious Mr B said:

They're supposed to have lived underwater for a long time, so presumably some would have been in deep, dark trenches and lost the need for sight, much like some existing real-world deepwater fish.

Personally I quite like the idea and look.

My issue with it is that it is not consistent throughout the design. Basically these look very demonic to me while the others don't. But for those who like it, all is fine!
I would just be inclined to headswap these specifically. 

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

It doesn't bother me that they fly what bothers me how this release seem to lack creativity. Sharks and fish riders are just copied Dark Eldar Bikers and Harlequin double bikers, guy on huge sea horse is copied Manfred, melee infantry looks like Incubi with less armour and bald heads. And turtle is only ok - just a giant turtle with platoform nothing orginal like Alarielle flying Beetle. I like heroes a lot (even Manfred guy as it's still an awesome model) and shooting infantry looks really cool and really dynamic but apart from that it's just lazy design with big part of this range - especially after how awesome and fresh Khineri, Melusai and Morathi look like. I was expecting crazy, fresh take like KO not bascially copies of Wh40k and Death designs. 

I don’t know how Alarielles giant beetle is more original than the giant turtle. They’re both just big versions of existing animals. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Killax said:

My issue with it is that it is not consistent throughout the design. Basically these look very demonic to me while the others don't. But for those who like it, all is fine!
I would just be inclined to headswap these specifically. 

Imma take a guess that the thralls are a subset of the Deepkin - overseen by the other more conventional looking ones.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's some mechanic related to an area buff on to-hit rolls within range of a hero.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Imma take a guess that the thralls are a subset of the Deepkin - overseen by the other more conventional looking ones.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's some mechanic related to an area buff on to-hit rolls within range of a hero.

Maybe the eyeless one are more like puppets than actual concious entities that are controlled by heros for battles that take place on land.... ?

40 minutes ago, Still-young said:

I don’t know how Alarielles giant beetle is more original than the giant turtle. They’re both just big versions of existing animals. 

Maybe not original but much better also we haven't seen huge characters riding such creatures from GW before - Turtle is just another platform and looks a lot like Stegadon put skinks on platofrm and he will fit right in Seraphon army. 

2 hours ago, DantePQ said:

what bothers me how this release seem to lack creativity.... 

Gotta say pal - I disagree with you whole heartedly - this is one of the most creative AOS releases so far in my eyes! Of course "creativity" is subjective and personal but I never expected to see a guy flowing up and out of the water with a shoal of fish coming out it below him.....

• Like 13

59 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Gotta say pal - I disagree with you whole heartedly - this is one of the most creative AOS releases so far in my eyes! Of course "creativity" is subjective and personal but I never expected to see a guy flowing up and out of the water with a shoal of fish coming out it below him.....

I think the army overall is incredibly creative - off the charts. That said, there's nothing particularly creative about the turtle - it's pretty much just a regular turtle with an extra set of flippers. As far as monstrous creatures go, GW are capable of taking a real animal as inspiration then pushing it firmly into the realms of original creative fantasy - stonehorns, maggoths, plague drones, screamers, hell pit abominations, jabberslythe etc. Even things that are very recognisable as real animals like the arachnarok and stegadon tend to be very exaggerated and I'm not getting that same creativity and that sense of the truly fantastical with the turtle. It's just a turtle. Not to mention the fact that these are the Deepkin, and the deep oceans are chock-full of absolutely mind-boggling creatures that could have been used to great effect in a fantasy setting, rather than a turtle.

2 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Maybe the eyeless one are more like puppets than actual concious entities that are controlled by heros for battles that take place on land.... ?

They're already being described as thralls, which makes sense. Equally, there's a couple of shots where the pointy aelf sorcerer,  or whatever it is, is surrounded by the thralls, directing them perhaps? 

Regarding floating sea creatures, I'm not struggling too much to imagine how it might work. We only see the models, but if you use your imagination... Magical, flowing ethereal sort of water, doesn't have to be 'wet' for anyone else, but those that are affected by it's magic are carried along and buoyed by it. I'd like to see this carried over into the rules, that could be a bit like Angilvard where enemies could be caught up in this magical tidal wave, washing them away on failed rolls or whatever.  All will become clear I'm sure.

14 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I think the army overall is incredibly creative - off the charts. That said, there's nothing particularly creative about the turtle - it's pretty much just a regular turtle with an extra set of flippers. As far as monstrous creatures go, GW are capable of taking a real animal as inspiration then pushing it firmly into the realms of original creative fantasy - stonehorns, maggoths, plague drones, screamers, hell pit abominations, jabberslythe etc. Even things that are very recognisable as real animals like the arachnarok and stegadon tend to be very exaggerated and I'm not getting that same creativity and that sense of the truly fantastical with the turtle. It's just a turtle. Not to mention the fact that these are the Deepkin, and the deep oceans are chock-full of absolutely mind-boggling creatures that could have been used to great effect in a fantasy setting, rather than a turtle.

To be fair, it's absolutely huge. Also, it's one of few 'armoured' sea creatures (that I'm aware of), and, it's got that massive snapping maw too. I think it's seriously cool but also suitably aelven in a traditional sense. Aren't turtles also known for carrying young on their back?

The king/commander character is also on that really cool serpent/narwhal/seahorse - I think that's a brilliant amalgamation of sea creatures. 

Edited by syph0n

Didn’t realise the floating sea creatures would be such a hot topic. I’m just not a big fan of the look of flying sea creatures. I know magically reanimated corpses could be considered just as weird. The same could be said for a screaming Bell driving around on it’s own and heavy armoured knights teleporting through lightning. Some of those thing seem silly to me too. 

So I’m not against it and I think they are awesome models, I’m Just not gonna buy those. 

@Kramer i’m a dude by the way?

I'm going to apologize in advance if any of this sounds antagonistic or disrespectful, as neither is my intent, but I am just flabbergasted by some of these comments and I don't know how else to express it, but I'm trying to do so as politely as I can.

I don't understand the turtle hatin' here, nor any of the comments about some perceived lack of creativity. I think these minis are extraordinarily creative and unique. Saying the eel and shark riders are just copies of dark eldar and harlequin jetbikes is such an outrageously reductivist comparison that it boggles my mind.

Their similarities end at "spikey elf riding on flying thing". Their armor is all elven-esque, but it is in no way a copy, and I fail to see how you can overlook the unprecedented fact that they are riding magically flying SHARKS and GIANT EELS, something that has never been done anywhere before and which no one predicted, and dismiss that as "lazy" and "uncreative". I don't understand how you can judge something's details while simultaneously glossing over all of the biggest ones. 

Say you think they're lame, say you don't like them, but to accuse them of being lazy and lacking creativity is soooo unfair to those incredibly talented artists. What do you think would have been "more" creative? You think they're lazy? What have you designed and created?

I'm not trying to attack anyone here, so please forgive my passion, I just feel the need to defend the very talented people at GW on this one.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Even things that are very recognisable as real animals like the arachnarok and stegadon tend to be very exaggerated and I'm not getting that same creativity and that sense of the truly fantastical with the turtle. It's just a turtle. Not to mention the fact that these are the Deepkin, and the deep oceans are chock-full of absolutely mind-boggling creatures that could have been used to great effect in a fantasy setting, rather than a turtle.

Firstly, personally don't get it. I love my arachnarok, but the turtle is exactly the same. If anything it is more original, the arachnarok has no differences from a real spider. As someone who loves turtles, the Deepkin's turtle has quite a few differences. For starters, turtle's don't have dinosaur heads.

Secondly, I totally agree on deep sea creatures. They're rad. But an army needs an immediately recognisable aesthetic. Unfortunately, the stranger you get, the less people will recognise them as being inspired by a real creature.

I can see the argument of the silhouettes of the models borrowing from or being inspired by current ranges, but it gives a sense of continuity between aos and 40K that I don't think is a bad thing. It is more conversion opportunities, which opens up sales options. Two aelves riding one creature with a ranged weapon, sure, is similar to the harlequins. But then, there are also two ogors riding a creature with a ranged weapon so...

I personally see the eels and think asian dragon first, due to their heads. So flying serpentine creature doesn't bother me at all.

I am interested in seeing the rest of the range, and also how they will play before jumping in. But I have been after something to scratch my Dark Elf itch, and 40K can only do that so well.

Edited by Soulsmith
  • Like 3

Let's not foul ourselves: Deepkin are CLEARLY inspired by eldar and specially dark eldar aesthetics. Eels are one man bike, sharks are two-men vipers; thralls look very similar to DE, etc. "Lack of creativity" seems a bad word to describe this to me, but they (the Deepkin themselves) are certainly in some aspects less original as expected.

That being said, though, I like them every time more. The energy put in recreating a sea atmosphere (with tons of accompanying fishes, rays, mini sharks, plus corals and wrecked ships) is impressive. That part of the range is full of creativity and is a mine of hobby potential. I do not know if I have the talent to come up to the challenge and give my army the under-sea atmosphere it calls for, but I can already see them being parade boys of the best exhibition projects both by customers and WH World. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Eel riders, jetbikes, gryphon riders, mournfang cavalry et al are all just cavalry with different mounts. I don’t get why the eels and sharks are suddenly not original because they also have a flying base? How many cavalry models do we have riding some kind of 4 legged beast of burden? Lazy ;)

Edited by Still-young
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

They do look like jetbikes, vypers and the turtle guy works as raider. And I'm 100% sure there will be many "exodite eldar" armies utilizing those models. I don't see any issues on that though, they look cool and flying sharks are truly something that hasn't been done too many times in miniature games.

1 hour ago, Turgol said:

Let's not foul ourselves: Deepkin are CLEARLY inspired by eldar and specially dark eldar aesthetics. Eels are one man bike, sharks are two-men vipers; thralls look very similar to DE, etc. "Lack of creativity" seems a bad word to describe this to me, but they (the Deepkin themselves) are certainly in some aspects less original as expected.

That being said, though, I like them every time more. The energy put in recreating a sea atmosphere (with tons of accompanying fishes, rays, mini sharks, plus corals and wrecked ships) is impressive. That part of the range is full of creativity and is a mine of hobby potential. I do not know if I have the talent to come up to the challenge and give my army the under-sea atmosphere it calls for, but I can already see them being parade boys of the best exhibition projects both by customers and WH World. 

Yep maybe lack of creativity was bad word but they don't look as fresh as KO did and Seahorse rider is just Manfred copy. 

• Like 1