The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Totally agree with this. It's a big release and basically resetting the CSM range (I have my hopes up!!) and cementing in the Primaris as the new Space Marines. I think this summer will be AOS and will be a big release. I think we will see lots of cool new models.

I know that this is an AoS forum so many people here are going to be disappointed if AoS releases are thin, but at this point I have over 20k points of AoS over 10 armies and one piddly Death Guard army at a bit over 2k points for 40k so I'm really looking forward to to a nice big release of Chaos Space marines and I'll probably focus on 40k a lot more this year. Unless there's a big Dwarf release, then all bets are off. Unfortunately/fortunately that doesn't seem likely except for maybe a book for my KO or Dispossessed.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Mutton said:

What I'm hearing is I should be hoarding money for an AoS summer slam.

Probably :D 

I think if there is something you want, I would just do it now if you can. I think we will see something cool this summer for AOS and I think we will see some new models and something cool.

17 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I know that this is an AoS forum so many people here are going to be disappointed if AoS releases are thin, but at this point I have over 20k points of AoS over 10 armies and one piddly Death Guard army at a bit over 2k points for 40k so I'm really looking forward to to a nice big release of Chaos Space marines and I'll probably focus on 40k a lot more this year. Unless there's a big Dwarf release, then all bets are off. Unfortunately/fortunately that doesn't seem likely except for maybe a book for my KO or Dispossessed.

Yup. Chaos has always had a special place in my heart for 40K (been playing since 2nd edition). Really looking forwards to seeing the new kits for this.

As for KO / Dispossessed, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new KO battletome with something new in it for them (say some new Aether-Khemist models and some 'spells'). But thats wishlisting and not a rumour ;) 

22 hours ago, Minis by Night said:

Idoneth:

• Eels: £30
  • Namarti: £30
  • Soulrender: £15

Total: £75
Price: £55
Saving: £20

Maggotkin:

• Pusgoyle Blightlords: £40
  • Putrid Blightkings: £33.50
  • Lord of Blights: £15

Total: £88.50
Price: £60
Saving: £28.50

It is good value for money until you actually get to the points, the Idoneth one comes at 400 points with the Morsarr option advertised, 380 if the Ishlaen is chosen instead, making it at 0.14£ per point the most expensive together with Ironjawz (also at 380 points), second only to the Daemons of Slaanesh. To me they complement perfectly the Christmas battleforce, but has no re-buy value or adds anything to someone who already has a collection of ID.

On the other hand the Maggotkin with 520 points are actually a good start having already half of a Vanguard host.

But that means Reynolds will be too busy writing about Freepeoples to be writing about more Skaven stories!! He's only one Pestilens - there's still Moulder and Skyre and all the other clans that need stories! 

That said Free Peoples deserves to be one epic book considering how much of the Lore it actually pulls together - basically ALL of the settlements and background to most of the established races. It deserves to be a massive book with a huge step forward in the cementing of the AoS setting and lore - almsot more so than the golden stormcast (who lets face it, are basically just a military force that sometimes builds stuff; they are the warriors; the Free Peoples are the living breathing heart of the Free People of the Realms) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I think for the first time I understand just how restrictive the old world setting was 

It wasn't so much restrictive as it was established. Indeed because it had a lot of structure it was much easier for different people to swap stories and make their own and they'd line up rather nicely. It also made it more impressive - if Skaven in a story by BL took over and destroyed Nuln or another major city it would have a dramatic effect.

Right now in AoS cities can rise and fall and it doesn't really have the same impact. Of course I fully expect that with time we'll have more than just Shadspire and the odd capital city like Skavenblight or such to talk about .

22 minutes ago, Overread said:

It wasn't so much restrictive as it was established. Indeed because it had a lot of structure it was much easier for different people to swap stories and make their own and they'd line up rather nicely. It also made it more impressive - if Skaven in a story by BL took over and destroyed Nuln or another major city it would have a dramatic effect.

Right now in AoS cities can rise and fall and it doesn't really have the same impact. Of course I fully expect that with time we'll have more than just Shadspire and the odd capital city like Skavenblight or such to talk about .

There are a few cities already. I feared for a certain city in Spear of Shadows, plus the seeds of hope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Problem is that the writers have said the issue with the old world was it's constraints. I actually think the reason why they changed AOS to be more like 40k because it would allow GW to make said cities rise or fall without damaging the setting too much. You also have far more room for "your dudes." Just like 40k.

5 hours ago, xking said:

Also topics like that are normal there, I try not to think too much about it. The smartest person in the thread was the guy who said the one who holds the pen will win. 

58 minutes ago, Overread said:

Yeah, but it was that very impactfulness that meant nothing of substance ever happened until the end times. I always knew on page one of a new gotrek novel, that Thanquol would ALMOST destroy a major city, as GW were going to do another empire army book sooner or later.

The possibility space of aos is still the most exciting thing about it. 

I very much look forward to Josh helping GW do something special with the Free Peoples.

• Like 1

Personally I wonder if the Old World issue wasn't so much its restrictive nature but the way it was constructed over so many years by so many writers that it became hard to navigate without breaking something else. Ergo likely there wasn't a "master" guide written for the backbone of the setting that linked things together in a living map structure so that they could find spots or gaps or add to the lore and keep up with things.

That's sort of the biggest worry for AoS in that its SO big that its actually possible to do whatever you want which in turn means you can step on a lot of toes. We've already sort of had a slow sort of ret-con on the size of Realms. Originally they were VAST and took years to traverse even a small portion of them (even with realmgates) In fact vast to the point of infinite nearly. The Maps we have now are a big step forward and I hope they get fleshed out and that behind the secnes there's some master-plan writing structure and living map and history going on 

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

Personally I wonder if the Old World issue wasn't so much its restrictive nature but the way it was constructed over so many years by so many writers that it became hard to navigate without breaking something else. Ergo likely there wasn't a "master" guide written for the backbone of the setting that linked things together in a living map structure so that they could find spots or gaps or add to the lore and keep up with things.

That's sort of the biggest worry for AoS in that its SO big that its actually possible to do whatever you want which in turn means you can step on a lot of toes. We've already sort of had a slow sort of ret-con on the size of Realms. Originally they were VAST and took years to traverse even a small portion of them (even with realmgates) In fact vast to the point of infinite nearly. The Maps we have now are a big step forward and I hope they get fleshed out and that behind the secnes there's some master-plan writing structure and living map and history going on 

Yeah but you have to remember the map we have is pretty much a small spec of the realm. It's essentially like 40k now, you can make your own continents, make your own cities and countries. The writers can write about the established places and considering the size of the realmsphere they can knock them down without worry. 

AoSRealms-May12-RealmMap8ks.jpg

298616937_AOSV2RealmMap_3.GreatParchZoom

Edited by shinros
  • Like 2

Yeah but at least a map means there can be territories :) Factions can have a "home". I still hope that one day GW makes a living map website which shows a map of each core/key area of the realms and the relative factions that own what and where. It would make it all the easier to follow things like the Realmwar if you could - each time they released a book or major campaign event, could see the territories lost and gained through those events

Heck if they were being REALLY smart they could even tie it into the books themselves. So you could advance time and see territories move and hover over the major battle and see which book its in or what campaign or event its tied too. 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

So with the carrion empire relaunching FEC and skaven giving hero+battletome+scenery will this be a precedent to renew army's with battle boxes? 

We know khorne is about to get out and Seraphon is rumoured too. Sylvaneth, Tzeentch, Ironjawz, BCR fyreslayers,  and Kharadron are candidates for that pack of hero+endless+book. Will we see boxes like Ironjawz vs Fyreslayers, Tzeentch vs Sylvaneth, or this like that? Is it possible? 

Slanesh And Darkoath will be out this year. Dispossessed and free Aelfs I think they will get only the book (and I hope so). And maybe Malerion Aelfs will go out this year or 2020.

• Like 2

FEC have Deadwalkers as allies so there is still hope that one day they may get their own line with a new battletome. 

The Terrorgheist/Zombie dragon too in the app disappeared to be replaced by the new profiles. Although in the website are still sold separately so it may be an app bug. 

Maybe LoN is a placeholder until they have time to flesh out the individual subfactions 

1 hour ago, alghero81 said:

FEC have Deadwalkers as allies so there is still hope that one day they may get their own line with a new battletome. 

The Terrorgheist/Zombie dragon too in the app disappeared to be replaced by the new profiles. Although in the website are still sold separately so it may be an app bug. 

Maybe LoN is a placeholder until they have time to flesh out the individual subfactions 

I would be all over a Deadwalkers battletome like flies on a zombie during the hottest part of the day so I'm really glad to hear that. 

1 hour ago, Hoseman said:

So with the carrion empire relaunching FEC and skaven giving hero+battletome+scenery will this be a precedent to renew army's with battle boxes? 

We know khorne is about to get out and Seraphon is rumoured too. Sylvaneth, Tzeentch, Ironjawz, BCR fyreslayers,  and Kharadron are candidates for that pack of hero+endless+book. Will we see boxes like Ironjawz vs Fyreslayers, Tzeentch vs Sylvaneth, or this like that? Is it possible? 

Slanesh And Darkoath will be out this year. Dispossessed and free Aelfs I think they will get only the book (and I hope so). And maybe Malerion Aelfs will go out this year or 2020.

I could see them doing a Carrion Empire style box for some factions but I don't think we'll see too many of these in a short span of time otherwise things might get a little over-saturated could be wrong though, that said if they are releasing battletomes for all of the old first edition armies there are definitely enough armies to have a box for 3 pairings assuming Khorne is a solo release. If they were to do it I could see pairings of Seraphon vs Tzeentch mostly because fighting chaos is pretty much what the Seraphon are for, BCR vs Fyreslayers for that fire and ice duality, Kharadron vs Ironjawz because dwarves vs orcs is a classic pairing and then that would just leave Sylvaneth for another solo release.

Edited by Dirtnaps
  • Like 1

I think GW wants to push out as many Tomes this year as they can - both new ones and updated ones. Carrion Empire is an easy thing for them as its only 2 new models in-house - a block out overseas (terrain and spells and book). If they keep it short then the production pressure is less in the long term and they can jump it. So instead of making Carrion Empire for 6 months they make it for one big release and then jump over to another etc... They also don't have to do it for every one, but they might well just to make each launch that doesn't come with a Gitmob size of releases, feel special. A new model, spells, terrain, tome and special big box discount for a short period is a really good block of stuff to jumpstart army interest. 

There's a good number of books that are older or armies that are large enough to get a book without needing a big model release. I fully expect to see more like this as the year goes on. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think GW wants to push out as many Tomes this year as they can - both new ones and updated ones. Carrion Empire is an easy thing for them as its only 2 new models in-house - a block out overseas (terrain and spells and book). If they keep it short then the production pressure is less in the long term and they can jump it. So instead of making Carrion Empire for 6 months they make it for one big release and then jump over to another etc... They also don't have to do it for every one, but they might well just to make each launch that doesn't come with a Gitmob size of releases, feel special. A new model, spells, terrain, tome and special big box discount for a short period is a really good block of stuff to jumpstart army interest. 

There's a good number of books that are older or armies that are large enough to get a book without needing a big model release. I fully expect to see more like this as the year goes on. 

I wish Beasts of Chaos got a box set. Would have been nice to get a plastic hero like a Shaggoth, Doombull, or Beastlord.

• Sad 1

Last year, there were several Carrion Empire like boxes with a huge success.

I think that GW will surf again on this (plastik) success wave with some other dual boxes. We already know that the next one is Shadowspear for 40K with primaris vs Chaos and ....100% new minis! This will be huge and probably one big  release(if not THE biggest) of the year, probably because of the "blank" year of mainstream boxes (no 40K new main box, no AoS which was las year). I think that we'll see at least 2 other dual boxes this year. one AoS and one 40K.  But without a new main AoS/40K, there is some room for more.