The Rumour Thread

This is by far the less original design of new factions for AoS (perhaps tied with IJ). It is pretty much an update of night gobbos which would have been quite normal on WHFB (even if some stuff would have been considered OTT. But greenskins being comedians in WH, no one would have cared). 

As an old WHFB, the prospect of updating old armies is really attractive. Gosh, I wish my dwarves would get that treatment! That's the bright side of this release: spectacular, state of the art models of a classic army.

Downside: it is less surprising and spectacular than completely new factions. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RexHavoc said:

White dwarf is always a month behind now. They will be in febs WD, out something like three weeks after release and after the community site have put everything on them out already (making WD almost pointless now)

WD is only almost pointless for news and teasers - but it's still full of great content for anyone who loves the hobby! I've been reading through November's edition over the last few days (I had a busy November) and it's jam packed with great articles. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kronos said:

. I didn’t know I wanted or needed this range until I saw

Reminds me of something I heard about Apple under Steve. He was agreed about why he doesn't just give people what they want. He said something along the lines of "They don't know what they want. We'd go out if business if we chased what they think they want. I'll make something they never knew they wanted, and then they'll want that."

Essentially, he was talking about being inventive and forward-looking.

Seems to me that The New GW is following that path.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

WD is only almost pointless for news and teasers - but it's still full of great content for anyone who loves the hobby! I've been reading through November's edition over the last few days (I had a busy November) and it's jam packed with great articles. 

yeah sorry, I badly worded that. I still buy and read white dwarf. It's nice to have something physical to read  away from the computer. Really, what I meant to say was that it was pointless as a news and rumours magazine, which at once time it was. As a hobby magazine its fine (just shy of great, though the 'new edition' they have promised with 2019 looks like its there to fix the few faults it has!)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

As someone that has collected Grots(or goblins) Since I got in to WFB, like 30 years ago now (and they are still the only army I have ever managed to paint a full army off and even play games with) I was excited for this release but something told me not to get too hyped, GW have let me down quite badly more than once in the past year, , but this has blown me away (and I boarded the hype train about three days ago and I'm refusing to get off at my stop!)

That squig kit will probably become my most purchased kit of all time, there are going to be so many new parts to add to my army and I'm going to go mad with conversions! I Was worried that the loon king would be too similar to the fungoig but he is different enough that I'm super stoked!

The squig dice are horrid. They will be unplayable, like the nurgle dice are. I'm going to be buy as many sets as I can! 

This is an outrage!  How did you get access to my mind so that you were able to broadcast my thoughts onto the internet?!  I am pretty sure this violates some sort of plagiarism & privacy laws...

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Overread said:

It could be a centipede - it could be a huge smoke stack - it could be a wavy rising spore - it could be a squigpede - a mount of writhing squigs! 

It could even be a worm or a wyrm without wings or a giant spider monster thing - its basically a tall wobbly shape at present. Still GW will likely spill all the beans (mushrooms?) soon!

I have no idea what on earth all those blurry things are.

Day 1 purchase.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Reminds me of something I heard about Apple under Steve. He was agreed about why he doesn't just give people what they want. He said something along the lines of "They don't know what they want. We'd go out if business if we chased what they think they want. I'll make something they never knew they wanted, and then they'll want that."

Absoloutley, I’d have been easily content with a squig or two and some plastic trolls, but I didn’t know I wanted faeriee Goblins of Death. There’s almost a A Gulluiermo del Toro vibe, a la Pans labyrinth and Hellboy Tooth Fairies. If anything These miniatures have some of the strongest look of them being unmistakenably warhammer that Ive see in a very long time. I’d love to see the concept art and designs that led to these miniatures compiled into a wee book. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

For those who seem to hate on anything old (i.e. WHFB-era), this release is an example of how you can use sculpting and design advancements to make something awesome and up-to-date out of concepts that mostly all go way back to the 1990's, and beyond.

That's not to say the completely new can't be great too, but GW has shown it can appeal to traditional fantasy fans with some releases and those with a preference for "out there" fantasy with other releases.

I agree with everything you said.

But to be fair, GW has been doing this to varying degrees the entire time for Age of Sigmar.  The Stormcast are really the only thing that is truly new and does not have much inspiration or references from Warhammer's past.  Although we all know that they borrowed heavily from 40k when making the Stormcast (which is fine and not at all a bad idea).  If there has been a common theme throughout Age of Sigmar's evolution it would be to mine stuff from previous iterations of Warhammer, dial it up to 11, and then run wild with it.  It's one of the best parts of Age of Sigmar in my opinion.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cash4u said:

I was really hoping they'd bring the old Mangler design to plastic. I always skimped on getting one because people said it tends to sag over time from the weight of the Finecast, even if properly pinned. Plastic would have solved that. Maybe it'll still happen though.

I own 2 of the finecast mangler, and while I love all things Goblin and all things Squig - it is one of the most problematic models I have ever purchased (this counts other companies).  There are just so many issues with the finecast Mangler model.  It was a kit that really needed to be reworked in plastic with the current GW model team.  The original had issues with weight balance, lack of solid connection points, prone to casting issues, extreme fragility with the various extra bits, etc.  I am certain that the current model design team can either solve or heavily mitigate a lot of these issues.

2 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

For those who seem to hate on anything old (i.e. WHFB-era), this release is an example of how you can use sculpting and design advancements to make something awesome and up-to-date out of concepts that mostly all go way back to the 1990's, and beyond.

That's not to say the completely new can't be great too, but GW has shown it can appeal to traditional fantasy fans with some releases and those with a preference for "out there" fantasy with other releases.

I completly agree and have beeing saying this for a long time.  I Started playing on AoS and bought my way into 5400 pts of High Elves, the great majority bought from GW itself.

I bought DoK but isnt exactly my thing, i dislike Idoneth models. I will probably buy the next release, but what i really want is a way to place my 5400 on the table in a way that makes sense. I dream about a BT like BoC , LoN and such.  

Would be even better if they went all the way like they did goblins right now, but i would be happy just getting rid of the micro factions.

48 minutes ago, Turgol said:

This is by far the less original design of new factions for AoS (perhaps tied with IJ). It is pretty much an update of night gobbos which would have been quite normal on WHFB (even if some stuff would have been considered OTT. But greenskins being comedians in WH, no one would have cared). 

As an old WHFB, the prospect of updating old armies is really attractive. Gosh, I wish my dwarves would get that treatment! That's the bright side of this release: spectacular, state of the art models of a classic army.

Downside: it is less surprising and spectacular than completely new factions. 

I think they will surprise us with more original stuff when they reveal more, but I agree with your main point.  It seems that they have really kept the core of what Night Goblins are and simply pushed the lunacy, fungus, & squig themes farther.

But on the flip side, I would say that Night Goblins are probably one of the more original things GW ever added to the Warhammer universe.  Goblins are a dime a dozen in the fantasy genre, but GW's Night Goblins stand out as extremely unique to their universe.  Skaven are one of the few other things that are extremely unique to GW's universe.  They always put their own stamp and twist onto the various fantasy races they incorporated into their games, but until Age of Sigmar they never really made too many of them highly unique to their own setting.  So I am honestly not surprised to see this gobbo release not completely reinvent their goblins but rather push it further into the unique directions they had already embraced.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I knew that I wanted all of this before they made it.  Just sayin...  😉

18 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I agree with everything you said.

But to be fair, GW has been doing this to varying degrees the entire time for Age of Sigmar.  The Stormcast are really the only thing that is truly new and does not have much inspiration or references from Warhammer's past.  If there has been a common theme throughout Age of Sigmar's evolution it would be to mine stuff from previous iterations of Warhammer, dial it up to 11, and then run wild with it.  It's one of the best parts of Age of Sigmar in my opinion.

So much this! ^^^

Thats what I love the most about the new Age of Sigmar stuff. Taking established stuff and putting a new spin on it! 

Thats also why I dont want GW to merge factions again, as all these mini factions have enormous potential for truly great armies! (Fire Bellies could become pacific islander themed fire cultists; Ironweld Arsenal could become a clockwork punk army similar to the Vinci from Rise of Legends; etc...) 

Totally agree with skabnose, i think they did the right thing by keeping the night goblin theme with moon, fungus and squigs. And its smart to make the book a combo of night goblin and spiderfang.

But i am not ultra-enthousiastic with the new model: they are terrific but dont appeal me. And i waited the squigs! but they dont seem very impressive.  I'm wauting a big beast! 

Hopefully my gutbusters will get something in 2019...

17 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

So much this! ^^^

Thats what I love the most about the new Age of Sigmar stuff. Taking established stuff and putting a new spin on it! 

Thats also why I dont want GW to merge factions again, as all these mini factions have enormous potential for truly great armies! (Fire Bellies could become pacific islander themed fire cultists; Ironweld Arsenal could become a clockwork punk army similar to the Vinci from Rise of Legends; etc...) 

It's funny you say that.  If you listen to Jervis Johnson talk on the newest Stormcast Podcast, he says that what the designers at GW like so much about AOS is that they are not tied to the old tropes.  He said that we will see more evidence of that in 2019. 

7 minutes ago, Ungface said:

Just found this, its from ancient Warhammer: Age of Reckoning concept art.

image.png.81886b1696b1f9f472432dd4b2403f56.png

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning had some truly great concept & design art.  I bought the collectors edition and I still get heavy use from the concept art book for conversions and terrain work for all my Orcs & Goblins.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

I'm getting conflicting reports on releases now. Sounds like some of the preorder will be on the 5th, but not everything :-./

They said that this is not all of the upcoming models in today’s article, so I expect a release this big will come in multiple waves just like they did with Deepkin and Nighthaunt.

• Like 1