The Rumour Thread

12 minutes ago, Ookami said:

Well, with weapon profiles difference erased, I suppose GW will use tactic of different warscrolls to preserve some obvious differences, like units with shields or without (e. g. Fyreslayers’ vulkite berserkers), with ranged weapon or big bonker (e. g. Kurnoth with bows or with scythes)

I get how this is easier to balance from a points-per-unit POV but it does lead to warscroll bloat on a faction level. Fulminator, concussors, desolators, tempestors; that sort of thing.

Just now, GloomkingWortwazi said:

For now, yeah. I believe the intent is for this to change with the resolution of the Factory 4 planning.

Who knows, the rumours said that books are gonna be printed in the UK and they are still printed in China

16 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I get how this is easier to balance from a points-per-unit POV but it does lead to warscroll bloat on a faction level. Fulminator, concussors, desolators, tempestors; that sort of thing.

As @Mutton said, maybe a basic and simple ability could be enough:

• Hand weapon and shield: add 1 to save characteristic.
  • Double hand weapon: add 1 to attack characteristic.
  • Spear: Add 1 to rend characteristic if the target of this attack made a charge move this turn.
  • etc...

Something like that.

• Like 8

To be fair if they revamp the endless spells I’d like them to redo the “creature” ones (think gladewyrm, FS infernoth, the OBR bone bird, etc) into actual monsters with health points, a move stat, an attack profile… that you get to summon (ie a casting roll).

It would make much more sense that what we have now of them being treated like regular endless spells when these are clearly living (or undead) creatures.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

They are still made in China.

Everything is made and print in China beside miniatures of course : endless spells ,terrain ,scenery ,token, dices , battletomes, codex , warscrolls , cardboard, etc.etc. 

Edited by cyrus

13 minutes ago, cyrus said:

Everything is made and print in China beside miniatures of course : endless spells ,terrain ,scenery ,token, dices , battletomes, codex , warscrolls , cardboard, etc.etc. 

1 hour ago, Nezzhil said:

Who knows, the rumours said that books are gonna be printed in the UK and they are still printed in China

Yes, correct.
My point was that the planning for Factory 4 was/is to wrangle some of the items that make up the core products back into onshore production and realign each factory for project costing, logistics and taxation purposes.

This was rumored to include mainline rules related books and media and offshore plastic. We likely won't see this payoff for some time, especially due to the setbacks they have had with getting Factory 4 happening. This wasn't a "now" kind of speculation, but a "planned for now and executed later" kind of speculation. A ground up rewrite seems like the time to prepare for what they plan on doing with these offshore plastic kits and may indicate to us if production is planned to continue onshore for them partial or at all.

1 minute ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

Yes, correct.
My point was that the planning for Factory 4 was/is to wrangle some of the items that make up the core products back into onshore production and realign each factory for project costing, logistics and taxation purposes.

This was rumored to include mainline rules related books and media and offshore plastic. We likely won't see this payoff for some time, especially due to the setbacks they have had with getting Factory 4 happening. This wasn't a "now" kind of speculation, but a "planned for now and executed later" kind of speculation. A ground up rewrite seems like the time to prepare for what they plan on doing with these offshore plastic kits and may indicate to us if production is planned to continue onshore for them partial or at all.

I doubt they will move all these products to the UK. They were Made in China because of the low cost and the not hurry to be "In Stock". It is more possible that they will make them irrelevant for the new edition before the process of moving all the equipment to the UK

27 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

I doubt they will move all these products to the UK. They were Made in China because of the low cost and the not hurry to be "In Stock". It is more possible that they will make them irrelevant for the new edition before the process of moving all the equipment to the UK

Yup. Plus I imagine it's easier to ship from China due to the infrastructure and less red tape due to a vote the UK took in 2016 :( 

• Sad 3

11 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

Am i the only one that likes delfs in CoS? Give me more shadowblades and scourge privateers please!

I like their concept, but not the style of the minis. Even if they are removed, those concepts would be reutilised and some hummies would take those roles.

11 hours ago, Luperci said:

I really hope the corsairs stay, a warcry warband with a cities pirate crew containing elves, humans, dwarves and an ogor would be fun to see 

I think that has more chances to be released in UW rather than Warcry.

10 hours ago, Luperci said:

Having 1:1 refreshes of stuff forever is kinda lame imo, it's a shame to lose models from an army though. I guess I'm different to many here as I never was into whfb when it was around so I don't have much nostalgia for older kits. It would be nice if GW just declared their intentions for stuff like this, it's not like people will stop buying these kits if they announce they're going oop. We've seen before that the fomo will cause the remaining stock to sell out really fast

A good example is CoS. We didn't have a 1:1 refresh for everything, but they got a "spiritual" successor in many cases.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I don’t know. Warcry only has a handful of factions left to do new warbands (IDK, KO, Slaanesh, Skaven, Beasts, GSG), at the rhythm of 2 bands/3 months, by next year they’ll have to start doing new bands for factions that already have one. 

8 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I keep hoping we get a full on expansion of the Cities Naval Side. I love the Blackark Corsiars but I want something more swashbuckling like your image. I also keep thinking of a Duardin Gunnery crew that due to their short stature can more easily navigate bellow decks. 

The problem with Cities, IMO, is not if, is when. There's so much stuff that has the potential to be refreshed that they could be releasing only CoS models for a whole edition and the army won't be complete:

- Naval side.
- Other Dark Elves.
- Bring back stuff removed like Wanderers.
- Dispossessed.
- Collegiate Arcane.
- More Free-guilds.
- Ironweld.
- Machines.
- Ogors.
- Variants from different cities/ realms.
- Religious side.
- Logistics/ support.

And probably someone else could find something I missed.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, Iradekhorne said:

Sorry?

Endles spells OF Khorne?

I have thrown an ax through the window, try to close yours because it is flying on the way.

¡¡We have judgements!!

For the blood ans skulls, if any wizard try to summon and endless spell in the middle of a khorne army I'm pretty sure his head would explode violenty.

6 hours ago, TheMawr said:

Khorne has them already actually,

99120201082_BoKHJudgementsofKhorne01.jpg

That looks like a spell, actually... 🤭

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheMawr said:

It always confused me ( not the right word.) that some of these didnt.. as alot of them you can think of dozens of amazing looking ideas. As they have a potentially strong visual language for spells and the like that really add a strong element to their theme that was not really the case for some armies that did get them.

Especially Idoneth and Nurgle.

Maybe it was a problem tied to them being produced in China? Now that seems to be solved (according to the rumours) they are back on track.

Edited by Ejecutor

2 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

I don’t know. Warcry only has a handful of factions left to do new warbands (IDK, KO, Slaanesh, Skaven, Beasts, GSG), at the rhythm of 2 bands/3 months, by next year they’ll have to start doing new bands for factions that already have one. 

And Sons of Behemat (I can definitely see something with Creepers and one mancrusher happening), Ironjawz/Bonesplitterz, and the fact that GSG is 3/4 armies in a trenchcoat right now. 

But it's actually insane how many factions already have a warband right now. We went from a full chaos 1st edition to almost every army having one at the end of 2nd. I hope they start using Warcry more as underworlds, exploring concepts that the main game doesn't. Khainite Shadowstalkers, cultist warbands, askurgan trueblades are already a great example.

• Like 1

It has been said that in the new edition, armies will pick a single spell lore and then every wizard will have access to those spells.

Depending on how many "universal" spell loses they design, this might be how they restrict access to the universal endless spells while still making them free. The Orbs of Ulg-Hysh cannot be taken alongside the Pendulum because they come from different spell loses. 

They may also parse out the generic endless spell to different factions, or else retire them and release a wave of Faction specific ones over the course of the edition.

On an entirely different note, the replacement of Battleshock with Control  has a lot of potential. 

It might just be a rebranding, like Health, but there's a lot of interesting possibilities here. They could go the 40k route and make it a roll off to see if the unit can contest an objective and receive commands.

It might also become a stat that determines how well a unit holds an objective, possibly a more refined/granular version of what we have now (heroes, monsters, ogres, gargants, etc.) This option strikes me as the more interesting from the lore/immersion perspective, but also more likely to cause imbalance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

To be fair if they revamp the endless spells I’d like them to redo the “creature” ones (think gladewyrm, FS infernoth, the OBR bone bird, etc) into actual monsters with health points, a move stat, an attack profile… that you get to summon (ie a casting roll).

It would make much more sense that what we have now of them being treated like regular endless spells when these are clearly living (or undead) creatures.

Is it you, Incarnate? Faction Incarnates?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

On an entirely different note, the replacement of Battleshock with Control  has a lot of potential. 

It might just be a rebranding, like Health, but there's a lot of interesting possibilities here. They could go the 40k route and make it a roll off to see if the unit can contest an objective and receive commands.

It might also become a stat that determines how well a unit holds an objective, possibly a more refined/granular version of what we have now (heroes, monsters, ogres, gargants, etc.) This option strikes me as the more interesting from the lore/immersion perspective, but also more likely to cause imbalance.

If my memory serves me correctly, Matt who is the Design Lead for AOS used to work in the Video Game industry. So we may see a bit of crossover and rework

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hollow said:

With all the speculation regarding BoC, CoS Duardin, Dark Elves etc I think it is important to occasionally place integration, thematics, personal desires, "what has gone before" and "what I think fits" with cold, hard, pragmatic business sense. 

Plastic kits come from Moulds. These Moulds have shelf lives. After a certain number of runs, the mould needs to be recut. It may be the case that CoS Duardin kits have been kept around for so long because they were selling at a decent rate consistently and have had their moulds recut at least once during their lifetime. Meaning, many more thousands of prints left in them. Why not keep them around if they are selling ok and the moulds are still good? If/When they are replaced and moved over to ToW (Which is basically over the next handful of months with the Dwarves previewed for ToW and AoS 4 on the way) I really hope we them replaced with a proper new CoS Duardin kit or not just removed completely. 

A similar thing can be said for the DE kits. They have kept selling at a rate deemed high enough to keep them around. They may be at or near the end of their mould lives. Would it be worth it to invest in new tooling for these kits? With a potential Malerion faction on the way, to have a full DE faction in the ToW (which in many ways directly competes with a potential Malerion faction in AoS) could require a significant investment in recutting moulds etc (for kits that have been available for the last 10 years and they might not have great sales data)

This is all complete speculation of course, but there are a million reasons why it would make perfect sense to "squat" BoC or Duardin, or Elves.... (Or any other faction!) This is the company that literally blew up the ToW. The idea that "Removing a faction from AoS that has some ancient plastic kits and has had a Battletome" is a pretty shaky position. 

I do hope that GW uses the launch of AoS4 to communicate not just the immediate release schedule but an over-arching roadmap to give people some idea of the general direction of the design studio. 

Some good points here. The problem (at least for the majority of gamers) is that this mould-driven business logic is not communicated to the audience and this will not change. They keep some factions and sub-factions in the game because the moulds are still good and the models are selling. The moment you inform your customers on your plans (once the moulds are spent we drop the faction) the sales plummets, so you can as well squat the line immediately.  

1 hour ago, Ejecutor said:

I suppose without the ogor maybe, I really wanna see the aelf privateers in the new cities style so I'm happy either way