The Rumour Thread

21 minutes ago, EonChao said:

Nah, that's the kind of mentality that eventually stagnates the setting. GHR is effectively already the 5th Chaos God, having it force it's way to being on the same level of the other four would disrupt the flow of the great game and potentially spiral other story threads off from it now that the status quo of the four has been forever changed. It'll be a net positive narratively for Grand Alliance Chaos with no real change overall.

Exactly. Change is great for the setting and lore, and opens up so many new avenues. Payoffs for long-running story threads like this (GHR becoming the 5th chaos god, Morathi's apotheosis, Ushoran's full return, etc) are satisfying, open up countless possibilities for both models and lore. I'm extremely curious about the consequences the Skaven shenanigans at the start of this ED are going to have on Aqshy in particular. Which parts of the Great Parch have been consumed by the Vermindoom? What are the reactions of other factions going to be? Are all the free cities in the area going to be okay?

There are still countless story threads that still need payoff (Grimnir's return/Doomgron, Stormcast reforging flaws, Idoneth soul problem, Gordrakks will to siege Azyr, Katakros' stronghold in the Eightpoints, etc.) If nothing substantial can change in lore, why even have an ongoing story in the first place?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

There was a blog post years ago by Kieron Gillen, famous comics writer and dude who also wrote a skaven graphic novel once, about how the Great Horned Rat on one level basically fills the conceptual role of Malal. This sort of thing has been discussed upthread and I think this thematic approach is much better, and also Gillen puts it well:

Violence without bravery, sex without pleasure, decay without rebirth and endless scheming which only ever eats its own tail… It’s almost as if the Skaven’s very existence is deliberate mockery of the four chaos gods. […] It would be a rat burrowed in the belly of Chaos Undivided, gnaw-gnawing away…. It’s a paranoid fantasy. It’s nothing to worry about.

To my mind, this is a much more interesting way of looking at the GHR and the great four: the perpetual outsider, entwined but opposed, not bound to the others, always throwing a wrench in others’ plans, the skaven as their own thriving thing that is both chaos and utterly un-chaos. ‘Ruin’ dragging down the the pantheon just as much as the rest of the world.

(Separately I would note that the dominions in the 30k Ruinstorm list very clearly were meant to suggest Malal, Vashtorr/the Forge of Souls, etc. Not saying ‘hey, these are fully there as actual Big Things in the universe’ but as thematic nods to them, and kind of highlighting how limited a bluntly reductive focus on explicit canon is.)

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

32 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

Ruin?

The "Encroaching Ruin" Aetheric Domain from the Horus Heresy PDF is described like this:

Chaos in its purest form is a terror that few can stand before and remain sane. It hungers only for destruction, that all things mortal meet their predestined end and crumble into dust to be forgotten. To this singular end it moves inexorably, driven by a nightmarish purpose which subsumes the petty divisions of daemonkind

I can't quite decide how well it describes the GHR, but it could be a mantle that he has taken on now that he's a full chaos god.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

There was a blog post years ago by Kieron Gillen, famous comics writer and dude who also wrote a skaven graphic novel once, about how the Great Horned Rat on one level basically fills the conceptual role of Malal. This sort of thing has been discussed upthread and I think this thematic approach is much better, and also Gillen puts it well:

Violence without bravery, sex without pleasure, decay without rebirth and endless scheming which only ever eats its own tail… It’s almost as if the Skaven’s very existence is deliberate mockery of the four chaos gods. […] It would be a rat burrowed in the belly of Chaos Undivided, gnaw-gnawing away…. It’s a paranoid fantasy. It’s nothing to worry about.

To my mind, this is a much more interesting way of looking at the GHR and the great four: the perpetual outsider, entwined but opposed, not bound to the others, always throwing a wrench in others’ plans, the skaven as their own thriving thing that is both chaos and utterly un-chaos. ‘Ruin’ dragging down the the pantheon just as much as the rest of the world.

(Separately I would note that the dominions in the 30k Ruinstorm list very clearly were meant to suggest Malal, Vashtorr/the Forge of Souls, etc. Not saying ‘hey, these are fully there as actual Big Things in the universe’ but as thematic nods to them, and kind of highlighting how limited a bluntly reductive focus on explicit canon is.)

This is a pretty interesting point: The Great Horned Rat essentially occupies corrupted/“ruined” forms of the big 4(best example: clans pestilens).

14 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

This is a pretty interesting point: The Great Horned Rat essentially occupies corrupted/“ruined” forms of the big 4(best example: clans pestilens).

Exactly, rot and disease without the cycle of life/decay element of Nurgle. Tzeentchian scheming and ambition, just as convoluted, but always incredible petty and stupid.

I do think it’s a little more of a stretch for Khorne (the blood flows but motivated by hysterical fear-rage) and Slaanesh (the fertility element is largely gone from Slaanesh, though the skaven do breed like rats and see very little pleasure). But still, it’s an interesting lens to look at the GHR through.

Even their path to glory, so to speak, is basically not there, with their god being both more interventionist in some ways but way more grudging with his favour.

1 minute ago, sandlemad said:

Exactly, rot and disease without the cycle of life/decay element of Nurgle. Tzeentchian scheming and ambition, just as convoluted, but always incredible petty and stupid.

I do think it’s a little more of a stretch for Khorne (the blood flows but motivated by hysterical fear-rage) and Slaanesh (the fertility element is largely gone from Slaanesh, though the skaven do breed like rats and see very little pleasure). But still, it’s an interesting lens to look at the GHR through.

Even their path to glory, so to speak, is basically not there, with their god being both more interventionist in some ways but way more grudging with his favour.

I think the khornate theming is pretty strong, skaven are warmongers with no "honour" they literally have fantasy nukes lol

From the new article:

« Everything you can do in the game is now an ability, from moving, fighting, shooting, and casting spells, to the unique actions found on your warscrolls. These abilities have clear sequencing: a Declare step and an Effect step, and their timing is written out, colour-coded, and uses symbols, making it incredibly easy to understand at a glance which phase you can perform each action in, and what it does. « 

Did not understood that. Is it similar to the way Legion Imperialis works?

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

After nearly 10 years in service, the rules for Warhammer Age of Sigmar are receiving their first ground-up rewrite. 

And as we’ll start to see in deep dives on Warhammer Community – beginning tomorrow

Yay, rules glimpses from tomorrow!

how does a grot stack up against a mortal human

Why don't you ask my stabba? 🤪

Edited by GloomkingWortwazi

6 hours ago, mawhis117 said:.

Morghur seems pretty likely. A gavespawn faction to replace BoC if they leave would make sense. 

Yeah I do think the same. It would still keep “Beastmen” in AoS while at the same time giving us something more interesting and unique, and crucially for GW, more easily protected by copyright.

Remember, Warhammer works like alchemy : when GW takes something from their catalogue, they must give something of equal value : such is the law of equivalent exchange. 

• Like 1

Some characteristics have been renamed for clarity – for instance Wounds has become Health

That's going to feel really weird after all of these years.... it's been wounds for as long as I've been warhammering...
EDIT: I don't have an actual problem with this. I am just very used to the word. It's a non-issue. Please don't quote me out of context! ❤️

These abilities have clear sequencing: a Declare step and an Effect step, and their timing is written out, colour-coded, and uses symbols, making it incredibly easy to understand at a glance which phase you can perform each action in, and what it does

Are... are we getting the stack? That would be incredible for clarity of resolution.

Edited by GloomkingWortwazi
halp lol
  • Like 1

Just now, GloomkingWortwazi said:

That's going to feel really weird after all of these years.... it's been wounds for as long as I've been warhammering...

It'll be weird, but I don't hate the change.  Wounds as in your the unit stat indicating how much damage kills a model vs. wounds the die roll to convert hits into damage vs. wounds the amount of damage a model has suffered has always had an issue with clarity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grungnisson said:

And here come the alarm bells. 

image.png.a0648e455d328a9d4676614a67c3841e.png

Depending on how you look at it, the same happened to 40k 10th edition. Core rules first, and the faction indexes spaced out over the week. It depends when the article writer interprets the edition drop, release of digital core rules or release of the big box.

• Like 2

Everything's gonna be fine :)

People already enjoyed AOS 1 rules with 2016 GHB add-on (the Three Ways To Play concept was introduced there, already "modularity").

I trust the current AOS team, Jervis legacy and 3rd Edition was clean, Simon-from-Warcry (Bottle) too. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

Never liked battleshock so I'm happy to see that go.

I guess in a choice between removing battleshock or trying to make it actually impactful, I'd rather see it removed, yeah.  And, hey, maybe it means we also lose all the useless 'roll 2d6 over bravery for a mediocre effect' abilities.

3 minutes ago, GloomkingWortwazi said:

Same here. I currently don't see the point of renaming it.

It looks like it will be a complete different game for the better or the worse.