The Rumour Thread

6 hours ago, Sigmarusvult said:

Dominion taken down to its Ebay price... I guess GW is also struggling to shift their stock 😂

of course it would, there are after all no rats

2 hours ago, MitGas said:

Yeah, AoS 3 wasn't that well received over here either although I can only speak for my extended circle... and well, I bet the box might've sold better with something other than SCE in it; personally I think the new sculpts are a huge upgrade and pretty damn cool but there are already too many SCE units out there.

That is true, they should have gone for some rats (skaven) instead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Austin said:

If the sales were increasing, even a small amount, wouldn't it make sense to NOT decrease the price?  You would only decrease the price if sales were not "better than it's ever been."

Age of Sigmar sales as a whole are increasing. Not Dominion. Dominion reached market cap basically upon release. They produced more than they needed. My post was simply an explanation of likely why they did. 

They 100% have too many boxes of Dominion especially when many of the options themselves appear in the new starters too at a lower price point. 

Warehouse space is the reason to liquidate it I believe. The game is fine; Dominion wasn’t a flop, just a miss. Huge difference financially for a company. We can hope they learn from it, but given GWs desire to push Stormcast as Space Marines it’ll likely happen again. It’s refreshing how many different factions I see in a league or event for AoS, so while GW may continue to miss on these particular boxsets, the health and meta of AoS seems in a good place overall with the rather slow, and disappointing rollout of 3.0. So I feel it can only get better. Health of the game is strong basically. 

As to “better than they’ve ever seen” you have to realize how niche GW has actually been until the last half decade and more so the last two years. Indomitus sold more boxes in an hour than Dark Imperium (the previous starter) did in almost 4 years. The best selling box of WFB (6th edition Starter) sold less than 20% than the AoS 2.0 Starter (Soul Wars). This is mostly because of a growth thing. There was almost no chance Dominion was an actual flop. The sheer number of players who buy these things on release would likely propel this box to the top 3 boxes of AoS ever sold even if it was pure garbage. Games Workshop is just simply very popular right now. GW pushed harder than they should on this box. But it should not worry anyone about the game. Discount it. Clear up warehouse space. Move on. It’s exactly what stores do too. I’ve found smaller LGS stores who discounted Indomitus because they had them sitting around after a year. It’s simple economics at this point. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm not worried about AOS as a game or about GW generally. The only way they can really ****** things up is if they panic over this momentary sales stall (I'm not sure it's even a decline, per se) and do something really stupid. They were never going to be able to sustain the growth they have had since Covid hit. AOS is at least arguably a better game now than it was half a year ago, something you can't say about 40k, which has become a 7th-edition style balance disaster since March.

My interest in their financials isn't so much because I have any worries about the company, it's just curiosity to see how much of a slump there really is in sales, as compared to just sort of general consumer interest as gauged by youtube views and that sort of thing. Just because youtubers are having trouble getting the views they used to doesn't necessarily mean sale are down overall, because the overall audience that buys GW products is so different from people who watch youtube videos about GW products. I'm interested to see how much the malaise that's struck 40k among those more in tune with the competitive game and/or general internet sentiment has actually impacted GW's bottom line. 

Edited by yukishiro1

As I've said before, Indomitus broke something within GW. I know 3 LGS owners who noticed a change in the GW reps personnel after Indomitus; lotta new people with 0 experience or knowledge about the wargaming industry and hobby trying to force obscene numbers of orders for some of the new boxes. Because Indomitus sold so well, ergo every other big box release must sell equally as well.

It's like GW can't look at their own financials and the past insane 4 years and not notice that everything is still being carried along by Space Marines. And this isn't to say their other products aren't profitable; that is the stupidity that killed WHFB afterall in that it was still a profitable game, it just didn't pull in Marine numbers and so they had to make Fantasy Marines and kill the game off to make that happen. (which hasn't led to the sales explosion they were hoping)

It's still happening today; there's a queue system for this new KT box when the last KT box didn't even sell out in any insane amount of time. You can still find it on shelves in a few places. And it's not like it did poorly either, but we're a year and a half out of Indomitus and even other Marine releases aren't selling the same at the rate that it did, but GW keeps expecting it to happen.

• Thanks 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Well I caved and ordered Dominion. Here in Japan nobody ever does sales, not even flgs. With my Warhammer+ voucher I got it for ¥18000 instead of ¥28500. That's still the equivalent of £115 though. I also ordered the vampire. Since that's made to order, I was offered a choice of ordering things individually and paying ¥1500 postage for the vampire,  or waiting. . .

So now I'm waiting up to 120 days for Dominion. I guess I'll have time to clear my backlog first. 

Now that I've put down the money for something else, I hope tonight's big reveal is Nurgle. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

I'm not worried about AOS as a game or about GW generally. The only way they can really ****** things up is if they panic over this momentary sales stall (I'm not sure it's even a decline, per se) and do something really stupid. They were never going to be able to sustain the growth they have had since Covid hit. AOS is at least arguably a better game now than it was half a year ago, something you can't say about 40k, which has become a 7th-edition style balance disaster since March.

My interest in their financials isn't so much because I have any worries about the company, it's just curiosity to see how much of a slump there really is in sales, as compared to just sort of general consumer interest as gauged by youtube views and that sort of thing. Just because youtubers are having trouble getting the views they used to doesn't necessarily mean sale are down overall, because the overall audience that buys GW products is so different from people who watch youtube videos about GW products. I'm interested to see how much the malaise that's struck 40k among those more in tune with the competitive game and/or general internet sentiment has actually impacted GW's bottom line. 

It's my opinion that youtubers veiws are down because so many of them are negative or use the awful clickbait titles. 

I had one channel recommended to me where every title was something like 'the new orks are worse than you think'. 

Bashing GW is an easy target and (some) youtubers use it as an easy way to get veiws and money and as I've said before the Internet is a great amplifier for negatively and a vast echo chamber where in reality its a small minority of people whining. 

That's not to say GW is perfect or people shouldn't voice concerns but I believe many youtubers have made a rod for their own backs, I know I've unsubscribed from many and only watch ones who spread positivity to the community. 

I bet there will be YouTube videos up today saying the GW sale stuff is a sign they are failing. 

Anyway, just a few hours to the preview and happy warhammer day everyone! 

What's people doing to celebrate? 

• Like 6

Just now, Ogregut said:

It's my opinion that youtubers veiws are down because so many of them are negative or use the awful clickbait titles. 

I had one channel recommended to me where every title was something like 'the new orks are worse than you think'. 

Bashing GW is an easy target and (some) youtubers use it as an easy way to get veiws and money and as I've said before the Internet is a great amplifier for negatively and a vast echo chamber where in reality its a small minority of people whining. 

That's not to say GW is perfect or people shouldn't voice concerns but I believe many youtubers have made a rod for their own backs, I know I've unsubscribed from many and only watch ones who spread positivity to the community. 

I bet there will be YouTube videos up today saying the GW sale stuff is a sign they are failing. 

I’d hazard a guess it’s because many just regurgitate content that’s already been done before too. Like everyone’s obsession with paying people on 5er to paint minis and whatever. It’s like content creation is a standard formula now bereft of any creativity.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, novakai said:

Then again most AoS battlebox recently haven’t sold that fast either, Feast of Bones, Aetherwars, the LrL set, Shadow and Pain, and Catacombs where all boxes that took a long time to sell out, Dominon not being Stormcast probably would have not made a difference or sold worser.

In contrast, the last 3 boxes for 40K got sold out with in preorders, like piety and pain and the Ork boxes. The only one that probably didn’t sell out fast recently was the maligned Wake of the Phoenix  boxset

To be fair, I remember the Sylvaneth vs Gloomspite and FEC vs Skaven boxes went within the day - I'm pretty sure Feast of Bones did as well? But they did quietly did a second run after a couple of weeks, so you could still find boxes places (same thing happened with the Sister box, where it sold out in literally seconds but the silent second run meant you could find a surprising amount of them).

Shadow & Pain was selling two armies that weren't very popular; Slaanesh's half was still WHFB sculpts save one and DoK have only ever been popular on the tournament scene. 

Aether War you could pick up without too much trouble, but it wasn't around that long. A couple of weeks on GW's site tops and a month or two from most of the big LFGS'.

Catacombs suffered because War Cry has never been that popular in the first place, but being a post-Indomitus box I expect GW probably overproduced.

By comparison, I was able to pick up Tooth and Claw (GSC vs Space Wolves) from a few GW stores almost a year later. Even then, it'd been on the webstore for months. 

Even Shadowspear - a box with new Primaris and CSM - you could get without any difficulty for months. 

13 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

awful clickbait titles. 

Yeah, I stopped watching such videos.

I don‘t know any YouTuber that’s negative towards GW tbh.

On a different note: Maybe those boxes didn’t sell due to their price and GW has finally reached a breaking point at which customers are finally stopping to buy.

(those play-boards are a joke, I own 4 of them and I used those 6 times so far. They’re already showing significant wear, with layers coming lose due to the way those boards are folded. Seriously they’re selling 2 colored cardboards for 40€ wth?)

Edited by JackStreicher

3 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Yeah, I stopped watching such videos.

I don‘t know any YouTuber that’s negative towards GW tbh.

The vast majority of YouTubers are positive to be sure, to the point channels like The Outer Circle are notable because they're so critical.

You do sometimes see click-baity titles where they look like they're going to be critical, but usually it's a "ascktually GW is the bestist, I bet you thought I was going to be negative!"

Occasionally you get videos where they're negative - WintersSEO recently for example - but they usually thickly lay on the "I still LOVE Warhammer! I'm sure this is temporary! Please keep sending me free stuff GW!"

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

He's not talking about those youtubers; he's talking about battle report channels like WintersSEO and Tabletop Titans.

People are beginning to wake up and realize how much damage GW has done to 40k as a setting and lore. As for AoS its becoming increasingly clear they are selling disposable armies full of neat shinnies but no long term support. They have dug their own grave with this. Endless space marines and endless disposable armies. Now Sigmar is not in as much trouble as 40k but it has its issues that are only getting worse and worse. 

Still as someone who has been highly critical of GW and wants people to know it I can't say its not gratifying to see some karma. Hopefully this all leads to a smarter GW in the long run.... we can hope right?