The Rumour Thread

9 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

I'm curious as to exactly how "Bretonian Stormcast" would translate into models.

I'm disinclined to believe that it's Order of Azyr units, because then they would have simply called them Bretonians, no Stormcast added.

SC already have a large cavalry selection (Dracothian Guard, Gryph-Chargers, Celestial Dracolines), so what would this add?

Aside from just "more unique mounts," flying cavalry might be the direction they go. Perhaps, like Extremis chamber, this release will feature fewer models built along a tighter theme?

There's an unsolved rumor engine featuring what looked like Stormcast arrows. We all know that cavalry archers have been an addition to several armies recently, perhaps the stormy boys will be getting some as well?

As for aesthetic changes, heraldry seems a popular theory. Perhaps more use of tabards (similar to Sacrosanct), even more elaborate shields, and things like chain or scale mail.

If we do get an infantry option, perhaps we'll see some proper Stormcast spearmen?

I'm thinking along the lines of a devoted of sigmar equivalent with 1in4 or 1in2 stormcast. Like a city/subfaction unique to the next stormcast tome.

Human knights that hope to be turned into stormcast. New war priests and possibly flagellants. Witch hunters could fit in too.

Take this hero as an aesthetics example

Screenshot_20210421-104222.jpg

Edited by Verminlord
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

I'm thinking along the lines of a devoted of sigmar equivalent with 1 in 4/ 1 in 2 stormcast.

Human knights that hope to be turned into stormcast. New war priests and possibly flagellants. Witch hunters could fit in too.

This could work, isn’t there an auxiliary chamber left?

However, it might seem a bit strange to have ‘just’ humans in the starterbox for a system in which the stormcasts are the main ‘good guys’ & big part of branding of the system. 

i am going to guess that Bretonnian SC will look similar to either the Bladeguard Veterans or HH 30K Dark Angels and they will just be more Knight looking with Heraldry and Arthurian Medieval aesthetics. just instead of Power armor it is Sigmarite armor instead. 

16 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

I'm thinking along the lines of a devoted of sigmar equivalent with 1in4 or 1in2 stormcast. Like a city/subfaction unique to the next stormcast tome.

It could work, but if they're releasing a Devoted army, I don't think they'd slap the Stormcast label on them, even if they can ally in. Unless they are actually made a fully-fledged part of Stormcast, but I'm not a fan of that idea.

It's entirely possible that I'm simply reading too much into the way a rumor was phrased, but I don't think someone would equate Stormcast allies to the Stormcast themselves.

16 minutes ago, Mutton said:

I'm wondering if the 3.0 box for Destruction is just going to be a conglomerate of the different races, gobbos, orcs, ogres, etc.

While I personally doubt it, that would be a very fitting portrayal of the massive Waaagh! Gordrakk is supposed to be leading. As someone who cares more about the hobby aspect than the rules, I'd appreciate the variety in sculpts.

43 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

I'm curious as to exactly how "Bretonian Stormcast" would translate into models.

I'm disinclined to believe that it's Order of Azyr units, because then they would have simply called them Bretonians, no Stormcast added.

With the number of people that called Emelda Braskov a Stormcast when we saw her art even though she clearly isn't, it isn't hard for me to believe that someone could describe Order of Azyr as Bretonian Stormcast.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shankelton said:

I dunno! I always felt that the human representation of destruction was Ogres. With them being human adjacent, and sharing that tribal society that would be human barbarians... but only surviving in destruction because they're large and strong enough to batter back the other factions on their claim.

I think Human destruction is a bit too close to human chaos. As you can build and make that human faction from a chaos warband, with their own culture and values, but have their worship of the chaos gods be esoteric. Not every chaos army needs to be blazing runes of Khorne, or hoisting banners of Slaneesh. I think it can be more nuanced then that.

At least, that's how I always envisioned building a chaos army narrative myself.

A knight stormcast box, fighting hobgoblin raiders would be a hard box set for me to pass up. Even just to build small 500 or 1000 point warbands for my collection.

Good point on the Ogors. I really hope they delve more into the Mawtribes in 3.0. Update a lot of stuff, even the Gluttons and make more Beastclaw Raider mounted units and monsters.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

It could work, but if they're releasing a Devoted army, I don't think they'd slap the Stormcast label on them, even if they can ally in. Unless they are actually made a fully-fledged part of Stormcast, but I'm not a fan of that idea.

It's entirely possible that I'm simply reading too much into the way a rumor was phrased, but I don't think someone would equate Stormcast allies to the Stormcast themselves.

I think the lack of details in the rumor leaves room for more than just a new stormcast chamber.

A few things we know:

-Already have stormcast in tabards/on all kinds of mounts

-almost every BR book has had cities expanded

-gordrak is headed for excelcius; another city

-Order has yet to have any human releases besides a few very recent one offs: all from the order of azyr (cursed city, new witch hunters)

I think it's entirely possible that we get literally the city of excelsis vs new destruction. That still leaves room for new stormcast models included in the force.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

I watched the video above (which was hilarious btw) and he says their source has only seen the wolf riders in the starter set. Might be too much to expect there to be an entire mounted army, or even an army of grots. Might be (gasp) greenskin soup for all we know

Is it possible, chaos dwarves? Forgeworld recently removed the entire legion of Azorgh, which included centaurs... now we have kragnos a centaur esque god, is it possible we will see these all lead by kragnos? Maybe this is his army? Crazy foil hat theory I keep putting on my head 😂

• LOVE IT! 3

Just now, Deakz28 said:

Is it possible, chaos dwarves? Forgeworld recently removed the entire legion of Azorgh, which included centaurs... now we have kragnos a centaur esque god, is it possible we will see these all lead by kragnos? Maybe this is his army? Crazy foil hat theory I keep putting on my head 😂

Of course chaos dwarves would no longer be chaos if this were to be true! 

It really depends but i feel like a Starter set both armies are going to be uniform themes on both sides. these boxes are for beginner after all. i don't think they will do anything soupy with the armies and stick to largely one force identity

like Indomitus was Space Marine vs. Necrons, it wasn't like Space Marine with some Imperial guard vs. Necron and.... Spittle drones as an example.

• Like 1

Just now, novakai said:

It really depends but i feel like a Starter set both armies are going to be uniform themes on both sides. these boxes are for beginner after all. i don't think they will do anything soupy with the armies and stick to largely one force identity

like Indomitus was Space Marine vs. Necrons, it wasn't like Space Marine with some Imperial guard vs. Necron and.... Spittle drones as an example.

Definitely a good point! But maybe in the wider range, either way 3rd is going to utterly destroy my wallet! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Verminlord said:

I think the lack of details in the rumor leaves room for more than just a new stormcast chamber.

A few things we know:

-Already have stormcast in tabards/on all kinds of mounts

-almost every BR book has had cities expanded

-gordrak is headed for excelcius; another city

-Order has yet to have any human releases besides a few very recent one offs: all from the order of azyr (cursed city, new witch hunters)

I think it's entirely possible that we get literally the city of excelsis vs new destruction. That still leaves room for new stormcast models included in the force.

Those are all good points.

I'm a big fan of Stormcast, so a part of me wouldn't mind seeing new units for them (though I'll readily admit that they don't need them.)

I'm also very excited about the possibility of a Devoted of Sigmar army, particularly if they take design cues from some of the Cursed City heroes. I wouldn't complain if they were rolled into CoS as an alternative to being a separate faction (though it's not my preferred option.)

My one fear would be that they merge Devoted and Stormcast together. I'd rather each be separate from one another.

All that said, your suggestion that it might be Excelsis vs Destruction does sound plausible. Stormkeeps is already a thing, and if Devoted is slotted into CoS, they'd just be releasing additions to 2 different Order factions at the same time. To my knowledge, that would be a new move for GW, but it would work pretty well given how the factions interact.

• Like 3

Personally this thread has devolved into me looking for @Whitefang's cryptic posts and then seeing how he reacts to other comments. 

So far what I think I've decoded:

• The 3.0 box will have some greenskins, but not an entire mounted hobgoblin force
  • The "bretonian stormcast" might be Order of Azyr humans rather than true stormcast
Edited by Shearl
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OkayestDM said:

If we do get an infantry option, perhaps we'll see some proper Stormcast spearmen?

okay, the ONLY reason I'd accept Bretonnian-esque Stormcast is if they came with a proper spear unit... otherwise, I'd like to see any other aesthetic besides more knights. I get that's the angle for Order of Azyr so maybe the new Stormcast will look similar to those knights, to push forward a more allied version of COS for 3.0?

Stormcast riding horses just feels a bit wrong, the fantasy creatures like gryph chargers and dracolines were exactly what made me settle on Stormcast for my army. Using a Bretonnian aesthetic makes it feel like GW is pushing them closer to Space Marines :/

• LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

okay, the ONLY reason I'd accept Bretonnian-esque Stormcast is if they came with a proper spear unit... otherwise, I'd like to see any other aesthetic besides more knights. I get that's the angle for Order of Azyr so maybe the new Stormcast will look similar to those knights, to push forward a more allied version of COS for 3.0?

Stormcast riding horses just feels a bit wrong, the fantasy creatures like gryph chargers and dracolines were exactly what made me settle on Stormcast for my army. Using a Bretonnian aesthetic makes it feel like GW is pushing them closer to Space Marines :/

I’d love them... but only if one rode a green horse with green armour...

they could also be more like the imperial guard to space marines of aos as it were rather than full on stormcast 

Edited by Deakz28

I think cities needs a defining force that makes it more than a hodgepodge of allies and models that they didn't want to squat. No shade towards cities, I love the book and the unmatched flexibility it has, but it needs something to put on the cover that is new and AoS flavored.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

2 hours ago, sandlemad said:

Tbh I find most implementations of animal men/centaurs/etc - WoW worgen, Garou from WoD, the Circle Orboros from Hordes, etc - to be boring and actively edging into the cringey when they pull on an imaginary nature-loving ‘Celtic’ set of tropes, so YMMV on what’s interesting.

It’ll depend on the execution ultimately, as these things usually do.

Agreed with all but the Circle Orboros, as they are the exception.

If you read the various lore books Privateer Press published, they are the penultimate embodiment of "Green Mother Earth...red in tooth and claw".