The Rumour Thread

55 minutes ago, novakai said:

unless GW are just moving away from SC boxes in general in favor of Combat patrol like boxes, I would think they would stop producing them until AoS get their version of those boxes. 

So what is the difference, combat patrols just seem like more expensive start collecting boxes...?

Are they worth the price and are they battalions/detachment. I think that they are designed to fit the point/power threshold of the new campaign  system?

I for one am really hoping for a Lumineth start collecting box. Personally I imagine the contents being the same as the collector box but with Eltherion swapped for an unnamed hero. I feel like the OBR box would also be similar to the Feast of bones box with a different hero and only one of the elite options.

Edited by Neverchosen

12 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

So what is the difference, combat patrols just seem like more expensive start collecting boxes...?

Are they worth the price and are they battalions/detachment. I think that they are designed to fit the point/power threshold of the new campaign  system?

That's basically my understanding of them. GW is trying to market the combat patrol boxes as a 500 point army in a box. So, unlike the Start Collecting boxes, the idea is for the contents to be a playable. Not sure how well these boxes actually achieve that goal, since I know nothing about 40k.

I think that's generally a good move, because it makes getting into the game more easy for beginners. Since GW is a business, they will be looking to raise prices every few years. That's probably the main driver between discontinuing old SC boxes and introducing a new type of similar starter box. But at least in this case there is actually a benefit for new players, too.

Personally, I believe we will see a similar development for AoS fairly soon, but probably not before the edition change. Because that's just a natural place to start updating bundle boxes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think that's generally a good move, because it makes getting into the game more easy for beginners.

I disagree. Lil Timmy's parents see the price close to £100, turn on their heel and go buy him a new video game or something. £50-60 is better placed to actually convince people to give the box a try. Most newcomers don't care about having an optimal/useable force yet (especially when they go on forums and everyone vomits metabuilds at them anyway) so much as bringing a box home and seeing what it's all about.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There's variations and I think GW's aim is to have multiple options for different groups. Eg Underworld in AoS is exceptionally cheap and quick to get into - you basically just buy a box; clip out the parts; push them together and play. Through to Warcry then Getting Started sets. Adding in new ideas all the time. Eg one thing we can see happening with some of the newer GS sets is GW moving toward sets that offer good value and discount, but which aren't always as useable in multiple numbers to bulk out an army. 

Or where if you use them as such you end up with more waste models that have less use outside of very niche lists and such. 

Cheaper sets and more expensive sets both work. Heck when I got in years back Little Timmy only really had the big duel army game set as the big lure product. Battleforces existed of course; but the "starter" box was just that. The big duel army box. Today we've a lot more marketing and battleforces are now getting started sets and such. There's a lot more scope for Timmy to get started with what he wants and also at different levels of cost. 

In the end it IS going to cost to get into the hobby, that is unavoidable. 

1 minute ago, Irvy said:

Anyone got the skinny on what the plan is for these coins/free minis in the UK? The months are starting to rack up now.. 

GW stores will get them in a shipment when they open up. Talk to your local about it. Spoke to mine and he said he even had some coins from the first release still in stock. So chances are they shouldn't be that hard to get hold of. You might want to talk to them and gage the interest level and demand for your area; some might see lot and some might see less. If there's lots they might do informal reserves and such - eg they'll hold you a coin for a few days in which you can pay etc... and I'm sure most will be willing to work with you to get you the coins even if you might not be able to get to the store early

• Like 2

Just now, Clan's Cynic said:

I disagree. Lil Timmy's parents see the price close to £100, turn on their heel and go buy him a new video game or something. £50-60 is better placed to actually convince people to give the box a try. Most newcomers don't care about having an optimal/useable force yet (especially when they go on forums and everyone vomits metabuilds at them anyway) so much as bringing a box home and seeing what it's all about.

I was thinking about this in terms of ease of getting into the game. I would see it as a big advantage if we lived in a world where I could legitimately advise people who are looking to get into AoS to just pick up a starter box of their army, secure in the knowledge that those boxes will contain everything necessary to play a somewhat balanced and fun game against any other starter box. While I can agree on newcomers not caring about optimal builds, I disagree about caring about having a build that is at least playable. Currently, the playability of SC boxes is all over the place, and many contain units you don't really want or need. If there is one thing that is currently a big barrier of entry for AoS it's that you either need to do a good amount of research before buying your box, or risk getting stuck with models you have no use for (which might well push you out of the hobby again after your first purchase).

As for the point about price: Yeah, it sucks that stuff is getting more expensive. I am and will always be with you there. But it's also a reality of AoS being a product that is sold by a business. You have to expect prices to rise with each new edition, at least to keep up with inflation, but probably more. Maybe GW would be better off pricing their starter boxes cheaper, but they probably have some kind of data that tells them by how much they should raise their prices to maximize profits. So if we have to live with the fact that prices on similar products will rise over time, the best we can hope for is that they at least improve their entry level products with each iteration.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Irvy said:

Anyone got the skinny on what the plan is for these coins/free minis in the UK? The months are starting to rack up now.. 

They still get the coins/models, you just get a choice when you're at the counter which you want for every £60 you spend.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

I think Start Collecting and Combat Patrols almost have different roles for customers, but I'm not sure if they can exist with one another. 

I see Start Collecting more as a cheap bargain box with a variety of models, but not always good basis to start a playable army. They're cheap but tend to include pretty random models from a gameplay perspective. If a new player starts with one of these, they may be disappointed to find out the box doesn't work well together or they need to buy another box of battleline before they can do matched play. This can be made worse if their friends also start with these boxes and some of them have 500pts whereas others have 250. 

Combat Patrols are nice as you can buy one and play straight away - you'll get some battleline and a hero, and hopefully something else to round out the list. Unfortunately they are quite a bit more expensive; still a saving, but not as good a one as a Start Collecting and saving or not, it can be much harder to stomach forking out £80 over £55. There's also less of a chance parents will want to buy one for a child's present.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

7 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I think Start Collecting and Combat Patrols almost have different roles for customers, but I'm not sure if they can exist with one another. 

I see Start Collecting more as a cheap bargain box with a variety of models, but not always good basis to start a playable army. They're cheap but tend to include pretty random models from a gameplay perspective. If a new player starts with one of these, they may be disappointed to find out the box doesn't work well together or they need to buy another box of battleline before they can do matched play. This can be made worse if their friends also start with these boxes and some of them have 500pts whereas others have 250. 

Combat Patrols are nice as you can buy one and play straight away - you'll get some battleline and a hero, and hopefully something else to round out the list. Unfortunately they are quite a bit more expensive; still a saving, but not as good a one as a Start Collecting and saving or not, it can be much harder to stomach forking out £80 over £55. There's also less of a chance parents will want to buy one for a child's present.

that probably where the AoS starter set comes in like Tempest Souls, it way cheaper and you get two army at prices that Lil Timmy parents would pay for.

Starting an army that isn't a starter set army is probably where it get difficult though

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, zamerion said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/03/thought-life-in-the-cursed-city-was-bleak-wait-until-you-see-death/

other article, and no date. 

it seems to me that the delay is going to affect this game :(

I can't get over how cool the Curse City Zombies are.  

Seriously props to the design team and going full gothic horror with the whole box. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses everyone regarding Combat patrols and Starct Collecting sets. If that is the direction we are heading in AOS I do hope we get LRL and OBR before the switch over as I doubt either will get updated right away in 2.0 and it might take awhile for their Combat Patrol equivalents. 

56 minutes ago, Overread said:

There's variations and I think GW's aim is to have multiple options for different groups. Eg Underworld in AoS is exceptionally cheap and quick to get into - you basically just buy a box; clip out the parts; push them together and play. Through to Warcry then Getting Started sets. Adding in new ideas all the time. Eg one thing we can see happening with some of the newer GS sets is GW moving toward sets that offer good value and discount, but which aren't always as useable in multiple numbers to bulk out an army. 

Or where if you use them as such you end up with more waste models that have less use outside of very niche lists and such. 

Cheaper sets and more expensive sets both work. Heck when I got in years back Little Timmy only really had the big duel army game set as the big lure product. Battleforces existed of course; but the "starter" box was just that. The big duel army box. Today we've a lot more marketing and battleforces are now getting started sets and such. There's a lot more scope for Timmy to get started with what he wants and also at different levels of cost. 

In the end it IS going to cost to get into the hobby, that is unavoidable. 

The ‘big starters’ back then though were 40-60 odd quid, depending on when you started. And battleforces were essentially Start Collecting sets so I’m not sure why they’re discounted here?

6 minutes ago, eciu said:

So the elves are now into good old magic-enhanced brainwashing ?

Just now, BaylorCorvette said:

Looks like the aelves are spiking the punch bowl! 

They haven't changed have they.

And that is why you can never trust an elf.  Infact I'd go as far as saying that a pointy ear is Chaos' best friend, as it's only a matter of time before the actions of one of them will unleash carnage on an epic scale... half your work is done.

• Like 3