The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, DynamicCalories said:

Then we've had this vague rumour about Deep one worshiping Dark Aelves, that matches up with the Dreadfleet Ark Master

Well Stormcast is my favorite by far and I can't get enough of them but if they are going to do something else...

I have to admit that if they turn around and do a dark elves pirate release expanding on the Scourge Privateers instead of a proper Malekith shadow elves I'm not sure how Ill feel about it.  Great elves at last but pretty niche.

But I really hope they keep up the non stop stormcast releases because that's what I like the most.

Edited by darkelf

4 hours ago, DynamicCalories said:

I wonder, if like with Silver Tower, a little speculation can be done off the back of the heroes. Maybe they've chosen them as these represent the direction of the factions yet to come up: Duardin are allegedly getting this Steamhead stuff - would fit with cogsmith. Then we've had this vague rumour about Deep one worshiping Dark Aelves, that matches up with the Dreadfleet Ark Master, so perhaps the High Aelves are going slightly oriental/martial in styling to give them a fresh style?

I definitely think that the included heroes are a reflection of the races getting attention and their style going froward.

Which indicates "highborn" are coming and being aloof and magical; steamhead duradin and the the dark aelfs (or a faction of them) are aligned with order (but still not very nice) and are going for a maritime/pirate theme.

Edited by DarkBlack
typo
  • Like 1

I think Shadow Elves are great concept to make them working against Chaos but not really good but mysterious and horror alike. Reminds me a little about Harlequin. And could make them more interesting. What I didn't like about Dark Elves was how cartoonish they were - ultra evil straight in your face. Even High Elves in later fluff were more nuanced then DE. Shadowkin combining horror stuff with wh40k eldar mentality and being mysterious hiding in the shadows working agains Chaos but in general only for their gain would be epic concept. Also would make Aelves who follow Tyrion and Teclis not their enemies but other side of the same coin which could lead to awesome dynamics. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DantePQ said:

I think Shadow Elves are great concept to make them working against Chaos but not really good but mysterious and horror alike. Reminds me a little about Harlequin. And could make them more interesting. What I didn't like about Dark Elves was how cartoonish they were - ultra evil straight in your face. Even High Elves in later fluff were more nuanced then DE. Shadowkin combining horror stuff with wh40k eldar mentality and being mysterious hiding in the shadows working agains Chaos but in general only for their gain would be epic concept. Also would make Aelves who follow Tyrion and Teclis not their enemies but other side of the same coin which could lead to awesome dynamics. 

I agree that was one of my chief problems with dark elf fluff in whfb I do recall one of the main complaints leveled is that realistically they would not function as a society with how over the top evil they are. Well that's IF the rumor is true. 

1 minute ago, DynamicCalories said:

There's been a super light rumor about "Cthulhu worshiping Dark Aelves" 

That's all we have. Bets are on Duardin next, then Aelves later.

It could be a really cool aesthetic. Take it to the serpentine snake worshipping cult style.

Quick google result is:

12fde1f74aad15c2de1414b4e1bacf20-d52am1g

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

So Swifthawk Agents were re-released in AoS form, mentioned in the latest Battletome. Do anyone know anything about the aelves and any potential releases for that faction?

Both spire of dawn and the new SE battletome mention swifthawk agents and aelveish civilization in the realm of light.   I think it would be safe to assume that any campaign books that go there, will have the aelves fully detailed.

I think they'll lean away from proper Lovecraftian tentacle stuff (except for maybe the priates) and go closer to Dark Eldar/Harlequins as previously stated. I don't know much about Malekith and Warhammer Lore, but if he's some half demon/half aelve figure now, and with the Seraphon essentially being 'daemons' I would wager that AoS is expanding the terminology of daemon, making it less of a chaos thing, and more of a "this is a great power, and it can corrupt, but also maybe controlled". I think you can see it with the Sylvaneth too, they're essentially tree daemons, I think it adds a lot to the world given that it's obviously far more over the top that WHFB. 

1 minute ago, DynamicCalories said:

I think they'll lean away from proper Lovecraftian tentacle stuff (except for maybe the priates) and go closer to Dark Eldar/Harlequins as previously stated. I don't know much about Malekith and Warhammer Lore, but if he's some half demon/half aelve figure now, and with the Seraphon essentially being 'daemons' I would wager that AoS is expanding the terminology of daemon, making it less of a chaos thing, and more of a "this is a great power, and it can corrupt, but also maybe controlled". I think you can see it with the Sylvaneth too, they're essentially tree daemons, I think it adds a lot to the world given that it's obviously far more over the top that WHFB. 

Yeah the rumor said eqsue so it's not going to go full blown love craft but just have some influences at best I think the sliver tower aelf's fit that theme if they are shadowkin. Well the mistweaver is a shadowkin for sure going by the magic she uses in the sliver tower novels. 

14 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

There's been a super light rumor about "Cthulhu worshiping Dark Aelves" 

That's all we have. Bets are on Duardin next, then Aelves later.

I'd say it more than a light rumour, Hastings has a pretty good track preAOS and I would take it as what he says is what's coming tbh.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Roostmanuva said:

I'd say it more than a light rumour, Hastings has a pretty good track preAOS and I would take it as what he says is what's coming tbh.

True, hastings has a very good track record, but also, if I remember correctly, is not always sure on the Lore and mostly reports on miniatures he has seen and his visual impressions.

But I doubt he is of mark on, what is propably Shadowkin, being Lovecraftian/Deep One in appearance.

There are visual cues to such things in Silver Tower, those being the strange grafts on the Sais arms and her covering up her face and the Tenebrael Shard jumping of a squiqqly tentakles, which I first thought was a Tzeentch hint, but that release has come and gone with no similar design in sight.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

True, hastings has a very good track record, but also, if I remember correctly, is not always sure on the Lore and mostly reports on miniatures he has seen and his visual impressions.

But I doubt he is of mark on, what is propably Shadowkin, being Lovecraftian/Deep One in appearance.

There are visual cues to such things in Silver Tower, those being the strange grafts on the Sais arms and her covering up her face and the Tenebrael Shard jumping of a squiqqly tentakles, which I first thought was a Tzeentch hint, but that release has come and gone with no similar design in sight.

I am going to go out on a guessing limb and suggest that Uglu/Ulgu will end up with a 'liquid shadow' feel. Octopus inky escapes, shadows akin to the ink dispersing in water.

A swamp of shadows.

Ties in with lovecraftian tentacly idea a bit.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I am going to go out on a guessing limb and suggest that Uglu/Ulgu will end up with a 'liquid shadow' feel. Octopus inky escapes, shadows akin to the ink dispersing in water.

A swamp of shadows.

Ties in with lovecraftian tentacly idea a bit.

think it will be akin to that, but also tied in with the old Lore of Shadow and Wind of Uglu, which was not described as dark, but misty grey and infused with illusion. The same way other AoS releases reference the old Winds, such as the prominent use of keys on Fyreslayers, keys having been an old Symbol of the Lore of Aqshy.

P.s.: I just noticed that the Tenebrael Shard carries a birds skull, just as the Mistweaver Sai does. I thought it was a fighting Tzeentch reference on the Sai, but both Shadowkin have the element and none of the other ST heroes do. I am very curious now, with no idea what to make of it, but I am quite certain the release will be quite the blast of new Lore.

Edited by Rogue Explorator
Something I noticed
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

think it will be akin to that, but also tied in with the old Lore of Shadow and Wind of Uglu, which was not described as dark, but misty grey and infused with illusion. The same way other AoS releases reference the old Winds, such as the prominent use of keys on Fyreslayers, keys having been an old Symbol of the Lore of Aqshy.

Im expecting the basic look of the order serpentis models and privateers but moving it more towards the Tenebrael Shard. So really pale skin tones, dark blacks and purple, a lot of spikes, wicked blades but lightly armoured and a little bit of 'decay/former glory' as a theme (look at the shards cape for an example of that). 

Add to that a bit demonic power for the elite units and a big *ss malerion/dragon fusion that will put the archaon model to shame ;) But that might be more wishing than expecting. 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 2