Warcry is Killteam/Mordheim... ?

eekamouse

45 minutes ago, DinoTitanedition said:

Oof...okay...that's to pricey for my taste...

How is that too pricey the starter seems like an insane value to me. Comes with two warbands, core book, and a full board of terrain just buying those seperately would cost 180+ then you get dice and markers and such on top

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Eevika said:

How is that too pricey the starter seems like an insane value to me. Comes with two warbands, core book, and a full board of terrain just buying those seperately would cost 180+ then you get dice and markers and such on top

Can't speak for the other poster, but often how good value something is in absolute terms is irrelevant. If you can't afford to spend 100 quid all in one go then its too pricey!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Yeah, seriously. To buy piecemeal, let's say each warband will probably be £20-35. Each set of wild beasts is probably about £20-£30. Terrain will be £40-50. Book £20-25. Cards and tokens, probably running about £20-30. So if you plan to get all this stuff anyway, it sounds like great value to me. I will probably be getting the starter set, because Iron Golems are the warband I want to play with most, I want a spare warband for friends to play with and I think the terrain looks ace (plus I can use some of it as regular terrain in AoS).

Just eagerly awaiting some details on how the game plays, but so far everything I've heard I like.

10 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Can't speak for the other poster, but often how good value something is in absolute terms is irrelevant. If you can't afford to spend 100 quid all in one go then its too pricey!

I get where you're coming from, but £100 is far less than the barrier for entry for AoS where some individual models cost £85... This is an expensive hobby and I think the pricing is in line with everything else you can expect to pay for Games Workshop Products. The starter set is like a complete, self contained board game with high production value on the models. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Hmm, I cannot tell for certain based on the photo but doesn’t the corpsewrack mausoleum look an awful lot like the sigmarite mausoleum? If I’m understanding the video correctly, I only need/be able to get the starter box, faction/booster cards, and the extra warband at launch which saves me a couple of dollars anyway. The other warbands, new booster cards, and scenery sets I’ll just have to pick up as they’re released. Probably gonna grab a few of the warbands twice for kitbashing. 

5 minutes ago, Lior'Lec said:

Hmm, I cannot tell for certain based on the photo but doesn’t the corpsewrack mausoleum look an awful lot like the sigmarite mausoleum? If I’m understanding the video correctly, I only need/be able to get the starter box, faction/booster cards, and the extra warband at launch which saves me a couple of dollars anyway. The other warbands, new booster cards, and scenery sets I’ll just have to pick up as they’re released. Probably gonna grab a few of the warbands twice for kitbashing. 

Yeah I think its just Sigmarite Mausoleum and a new mat to play on

15 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

I get where you're coming from, but £100 is far less than the barrier for entry for AoS where some individual models cost £85... This is an expensive hobby and I think the pricing is in line with everything else you can expect to pay for Games Workshop Products. The starter set is like a complete, self contained board game with high production value on the models. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Yeah, in and of itself its fine. But there is a difference between building up an army over several years in £30 installments, with maybe a battleforce or centre piece with christmas money, and shelling out lots in one go for a new game you don't know whether you'll like yet or not. I intend to wait until a few people around here are playing it, and ideally try it out first, or at the very least just get one warband to try it out before deciding whether to save up for the core set. I'd love that terrain, but until I know more its too much of a big investment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

I heard that it was written by the guy that wrote hinterlands, so this is basically official gw hinterlands 2.0.

Sam Pearson aka bottle is in de video so he at least played a roll in it. 

44 minutes ago, Eevika said:

It’s dependent on personal finances and expectation I guess. I expected starter set. So for me it’s 10 bucks more than expected, so not to bad. If you expected a kill team expansion box (which are 65 I think) it’s a big difference. 

What I mainly excited by is the campaign system. The more I think about it the more brilliant (and obvious) it seems. Every warband plays it’s own narrative and upgrades happen after every (let’s say) fifth game. Convergence I think they called it. If you play someone who levelled more you get some bonus and I’m willing to bet it’s going to be some beasts that fight with you. 

That way you can not only play your own narrative for every warband to it’s conclusion. Super nice set up for a campaign and very video game-esque. But it also allows you to campaign without everybody attending every time. 

6 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Sam Pearson aka bottle is in de video so he at least played a roll in it. 

It’s dependent on personal finances and expectation I guess. I expected starter set. So for me it’s 10 bucks more than expected, so not to bad. If you expected a kill team expansion box (which are 65 I think) it’s a big difference. 

If you expected a kill team expansion price, you were being seriously unrealistic. 

(Using the same royal you as you did here, I don’t mean you personally). 

• Like 1

The price is on the high end of my expectations, but for USD it is still about $60 cheaper than buying it piecemeal before you add in the costs of the other things you cannot buy (tokens, the chaos beasts models, dice, etc.) I was hoping that it would come in just a little lower,  but to me this price point suggests that the starter is going to be around longer than the KT one was.

33 minutes ago, Dead Scribe said:

I heard that it was written by the guy that wrote hinterlands, so this is basically official gw hinterlands 2.0.

He seems to be in the rules team yes, but so far nothing about what we've heard about Warcry makes it seem anything like hinterlands beyond being an AoS skirmish game.

Honestly, I am slightly skeptical if the rules are designed after 40k Kill Team. I played Kill Team and it feels like a watered down version of 40k and unnecessarily complex with the flesh wound mechanism. It lacked the 'feel good' exhilarating thrill of leading a team of highly trained soldiers on a top secret mission impossible.

All I got was a bunch of common troops running about trying to do something and dying to unlucky stray shots exemplified by the flesh wound rolls. 😅

Also, the way they simply reuse existing models, repackage it with new rules and tokens to sell at higher price is an blatant money grab. 

However, in War Cry they bothered to release new models, so I will probably hold back until my FLGS give a demo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Battlefury said:

What I actually hear within the video:

2. SKirmish game with predetermined warbands ( don't like that so much tbh )

They said, that from a single unit of non-chaos guys you would get sufficient points to create a warband. That means that you will construct your lists a'la Kill Team within a certain points limit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eevika said:

You know, I once had a girl who bought a backpack, because it was on sale for a lower price. I told her to bring it back. We had quite an argument, but she did. After already owning four other backpacks I just couldn't help but to think "This wasn't money you saved, but money you've spent additionally.".

And buying something expensive and justifiying it with it being less expensive than insanely expensive is reason enough for me to trigger my common sense (yes, even in THIS hobby) - it just doesn't work for me as an argument.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Eevika said:

Buying piecemeal was the mistake I made with Kill Team--I spent waaaaaay more than the core set just to get two okay faction rosters, the book, and gameplay accessories.

40 minutes ago, InSaint said:

Also, the way they simply reuse existing models, repackage it with new rules and tokens to sell at higher price is an blatant money grab. 

Being able to reuse models means that if you already collect the models for another game, it costs you way less to get started with this other, smaller scale game. If you had to use entirely new models, the cost to play would be substantially higher.

I kinda see your point that in the sense that it means more people will buy the book and try it out since they already have most of what they need to play, so they're likely to make more money from sales. But still, I wouldn't call that approach a cash grab. The real cash grab are things like Nurgle's Thricefold Befoulment battalion which is widely considered to be the most effective way to build a nurgle list and juuuuuust so happens to require 3 copies of the most expensive model in their range. What a funny coincidence! ^_^

Edited by Dreadmund

1 hour ago, Still-young said:

If you expected a kill team expansion price, you were being seriously unrealistic. 

(Using the same royal you as you did here, I don’t mean you personally). 

Yeah I agree.  (And my you was of meant in the same figurative manner)

But I could see it happening. I don’t really follow 40k but was looking to kill team and the way I kept seeing it was faction boxes with a bit of terrain plus you need the book. For the price of start collecting.

If the release of the extra warband is just that... I might skip the starter box as well. I’m currently building a city table. Squeeze it to a 4x4 and I have a board. I have stormcast, DoK and have been eying some Ironjawz for a while now. So plenty to play as well. So that way I could play for 65 instead of 130. 

I realise that is a big if though ;) 

Edited by Kramer

If the price for us is around 160 I would be very happy to try it out. I been wanting those untamed beasts for a while now, and the game looks to fill that void of mordeheim left in my soul. I am a bit curious to see how the campaign system would work, but if it means not going through the usual campaign interest drop off I would be happy.