AoS2 - Dankhold Troggoth Discussion

Malakree

Thinking about how Gordrakk would work lately, may actually get one because Ive always wanted a Cabbage. 

Allegiance: Destruction
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Leaders
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (560)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Wand of Restoration
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
- General
- Trait: Might is Right
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike

Battleline
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
10 x Orruks (80)
- Choppas & Shields

Units
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (280)
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (280)

Battalions
Troggherd (180)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131

The idea here is simply, turn 2 usually go full blender (pulverizer) and hopefully finish their bulk with the Troggs, have Gord deal with the backline after that and cap points, try and have the Warchanter keep up to Gord and give him that extra buff. Not a serious list by any means because after its blown its steam if it hasnt done its job Ive probably lost. But it still looks fun, and I want a Cabbage.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:29 AM, Sauriv said:

Hi, took my troggs for a spin for the first time ever today (just 1000p) . We needed to round up early so it was hard to say who would win. Anyway, as much as i would love a pure trogg-list I do understand the need of more bodies on the table.

Many of the posts i see here talks about having a big unit of stabbas but what are your thoughts regarding squigs as screens/objective grabbers/tarpit? 

Purely for holding back field objectives (i.e. not seriously defending them) a min sized Squig Herd is fantastic for 70 points.

7 hours ago, SaJeel said:

What do troggoths need to round out their army, or do you think point adjustment is enough

Troggoths need an army that bathes in command points. Fungoids will cover that if you take 3 of them. Furthermore, they’ll be piggybacking the Troggoths to give them no battleshock. If you’re going to play Troggoths, play Troggoths. Once you start the including lots of grots or squigs, it kind of loses the theme of being a pure Troggoth army. In the end, it’s your army build though. Play what you’re going to enjoy or you’ll just end up dumping it. Trog on!

So I got the chance to play my first game with Gloomspite/Troggoth mix this week-end at the local league. Ended up with 2 win (vs Skaven and Ironjawz). Troggoth performed well as expected. I'm gonna tweak the list a bit, but overall most units performed their role save maybe for the giant who is still pretty bad (tough he did inflicted the killing wound on the Maw Krusha by falling on it lol)

Moonclan casters can use Itchy Nuisance to force someone to go last, thats really stong. 

In the case of durthu, if you are able to cast that spell on him you could focus him with 2 or 3 units to play around the stomp-ability. After durthu is hurt he quickly becomes weak. He also has few attacks so applying -tohit is also strong, with netters, fellwater, hag, hag's curse. 

3 minutes ago, Sauriv said:

Moonclan casters can use Itchy Nuisance to force someone to go last, thats really stong. 

In the case of durthu, if you are able to cast that spell on him you could focus him with 2 or 3 units to play around the stomp-ability. After durthu is hurt he quickly becomes weak. He also has few attacks so applying -tohit is also strong, with netters, fellwater, hag, hag's curse. 

Okay cool, thanks.

The problem was I didn't really know Durthu was that strong and kinda rushed on him. My casters were left behind a wyldwood and couldn't see him at all to cast the spell on him. He just trashed my units one by one. Wasn't much of a problem for him to kill 4-6 Rockguts per combat phase.

Next time I'll stay out of them woods, lol. :)

On 9/23/2019 at 5:36 AM, Weazel said:

Okay cool, thanks.

The problem was I didn't really know Durthu was that strong and kinda rushed on him. My casters were left behind a wyldwood and couldn't see him at all to cast the spell on him. He just trashed my units one by one. Wasn't much of a problem for him to kill 4-6 Rockguts per combat phase.

Next time I'll stay out of them woods, lol. :)

I played against Durthu on Wednesday with a moonclan grot list.  It was meeting engagements (which I am not so sure about now as a format, thought it would be simpler and faster but it seems maybe more advanced, but that’s for another thread).  Anyway, Durthu was nuts!  I’ll have to plan entire lists around countering her now (and also for Mawcrushas and VLoZDs) but makes me think some MSU Squigs are needed as screening speed bumps.   Also, we tend to play multiplayer Coalition and Triumph and Treachery games, so there’s VPs for doing wounds, which changes the calculus on horde units a bit.

but yes, Itchy Nuisance is key, along with grot netters between fellwaters, and geminids should help counter Durthu

1 hour ago, MirelurkCakes said:

What do people think is the best unit to just take one or two of to run around and grab objectives. I feel like we have 3 options; squig hoppers, spider riders or furies from the GHB mercenarys. Or are these all unnecessary and should we just stick with hand of gorking our guys around?

Honestly I'd use stabbas or shootas for that. With the +2 to run they up being reasonably fast (7+d6) and are good in terms of bodies and wounds. Plus they have the advantage of being useful chaff on the battleplans like Arcane Places of Power.

3 hours ago, Neomaxim said:

Those are amazing!  How much greenstuff work went into fitting those seamlessly around the neck??

Surprising little, they fit quite nicely on the necks. I did the front two ridges on this one and one on another but other than that just filling a few small gaps. You do need a reasonable sized blob underneath as there's a big gap there though 

20191013_193148.jpg

Edited by HostilSpike

Hi guys!

I'm a Seraphon player-collector and recently jumped on the crazy Gloomspite train.

Could you help me build a close-to-competitive troggotths/grots list (1k and 2k if possible)?

I want to buy some more Gloomspite mini but don't know what to look for

Here are the models I have

60x Stabbas

9x Rockgut troggoths

9x Fellwater troggoths

5x Gobbapalooza (Fungoid Cave Shaman Proxy)

1x Dankhold Troggboss

1x Troggoth Hag

1x Skragrott

1xMollog's Mob

Thank you very much!

15 hours ago, QuinacridoneGold said:

Hi guys!

I'm a Seraphon player-collector and recently jumped on the crazy Gloomspite train.

Could you help me build a close-to-competitive troggotths/grots list (1k and 2k if possible)?

I want to buy some more Gloomspite mini but don't know what to look for

Here are the models I have

60x Stabbas

9x Rockgut troggoths

9x Fellwater troggoths

5x Gobbapalooza (Fungoid Cave Shaman Proxy)

1x Dankhold Troggboss

1x Troggoth Hag

1x Skragrott

1xMollog's Mob

Thank you very much!

I'd try and turn one of those Gobbapalooza's into a Spider Shaman as well.

Put the Hag (with Gryphfeather), 9 fellwater, and a shaman casting sneaky distraction spell for HUGE minuses to hit. Hag would be -3 to hit. Fellwater would be -2. It has worked wonderfully for me.

The second contingent of your army could work well with the Rockguts and the Dank Boss. Have them go kill stuff.

Third group is the Stabbas and Skragrott tossing spells around. These are you home objective campers.

Seems like you have everything you need to me!

I run:
Aracknarock Shaman (Headress + Sneaky Distraction)
Hag (Gryhfeather)
Dankboss
6 Rockgut
9 Fellwater
20 Stabbas
Scuttletide
Troggherd Battalion (not worth its points, but I need the extra artifact)