AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

So, a bit more speculation:

So, it seems that we are a CP hungry army with Disengage, Disembark, Fly High and some weapons going to 4+ to hit (aka, All out Attack). Knowing that, some Voidstone Robs (if it still exists) seems to be mandatory for taking down high threat spells like Total Eclipse.

There seems to be a lot of ways to make for it, with an artifact that let's us use 1Command without spending any point, Barak-nar giving extra CPs for each hero and another skyport stealing CPs on a 5+.

I'm curious if there is another method to disembark appart using CPs and that Frigatte charge. It seems a bit weird that our Arkanauts couldn't go down to take a point because nobody shouted any order...

Another rumor talks about a Foonote that let's us counter-shoot an enemy. I'm really curious because our ships going to 4+to hit, it seems that we are in a 18" threat range for our Thunderers, and that's not a lot for specialzed ranged armies with 24" or more. Let's hope that our torpedos and carbines hit better than our main big guns!

After thinking about the melee-frigattes, I have a bit of hope that our balloonboyz are going to be like 1.0: they could embark without taking any space (I suppose with a maximum of 7 models, we don't need a clown-taxi again). It could allow us to give them Attack-First when a frigatte charges, that alone will be so juicy for their survivality with some extra-rend from Khemist.

I think that Navigators are going to have a new Read the Wind: roll 6 dice and each result witll have an ability. And we could use one dice in each phase. So, if we have three 1s, we could do 1D3 mw in three diferent turns. But if we have one 6, we can use it in one phase for a 1D3+3" free movement for any skyvessel. Really curious about all other rolls.

3 hours ago, Beliman said:

I'm curious if there is another method to disembark appart using CPs and that Frigatte charge. It seems a bit weird that our Arkanauts couldn't go down to take a point because nobody shouted any order...

I wonder if the CP disembark will be just to be able to disembark after the ship moved, rather than for every disembark.

3 hours ago, Beliman said:

After thinking about the melee-frigattes, I have a bit of hope that our balloonboyz are going to be like 1.0: they could embark without taking any space (I suppose with a maximum of 7 models, we don't need a clown-taxi again).

If I remember correctly the guy who posted the leaks commented that the balloonboyz changed to be able to embark as other units, but they didn't mention if they had any rule that avoided them taking space in the ship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beliman said:

So, a bit more speculation:

So, it seems that we are a CP hungry army with Disengage, Disembark, Fly High and some weapons going to 4+ to hit (aka, All out Attack). Knowing that, some Voidstone Robs (if it still exists) seems to be mandatory for taking down high threat spells like Total Eclipse.

There seems to be a lot of ways to make for it, with an artifact that let's us use 1Command without spending any point, Barak-nar giving extra CPs for each hero and another skyport stealing CPs on a 5+.

Another rumor talks about a Foonote that let's us counter-shoot an enemy. I'm really curious because our ships going to 4+to hit, it seems that we are in a 18" threat range for our Thunderers, and that's not a lot for specialzed ranged armies with 24" or more. Let's hope that our torpedos and carbines hit better than our main big guns!

After thinking about the melee-frigattes, I have a bit of hope that our balloonboyz are going to be like 1.0: they could embark without taking any space (I suppose with a maximum of 7 models, we don't need a clown-taxi again). It could allow us to give them Attack-First when a frigatte charges, that alone will be so juicy for their survivality with some extra-rend from Khemist.

I think that Navigators are going to have a new Read the Wind: roll 6 dice and each result witll have an ability. And we could use one dice in each phase. So, if we have three 1s, we could do 1D3 mw in three diferent turns. But if we have one 6, we can use it in one phase for a 1D3+3" free movement for any skyvessel. Really curious about all other rolls.

Right now I see it like that.
Range build
Barak-Nar
1-2 Khemists/2-1 Navigators
1 Admiral
1 Endrimaster on foot
1 New hero
Ironclad
15 Thunderers
2x10 arcs
2 Gunhaulers

Melee build
Barak-zon
1 Admiral
1 Khemist/Navigator
1 Endrinmaster on baloon
1 New hero
1 Frigate
2 Gunhaulers
3x6 Wardens
10 arcs

"Monster-mash" build
Barak-zilfin
1 Admiral
1 New hero
1 Khemists
1 Navigator
3 Frigates
2x10 Arcs 
2x6 Riggers

Mixed build
Barak-urbaz
1 Admiral
1 New hero
2 Khemists
1 Navigator
4 Gunhaulers
1 Ironclad
10 thunderers
10 arcs

If the rumors are true, I think that we are going to have at least diferent gameplays:

If we want to go melee:  I think that Skywardens/Riggers with a Frigatte are going to be core. We still need to know  how the frigatte works for attack-first and disembark. I'm curious about how can we remove Ward saves and the way the Khemist can improve our Rend, because it will be important for a save-stacking edition. And we still have some awesome tricks with Navigator's 1D3+3" move for skyvessels or a Footnote that allows a charge with 3D6"!
Appart from that, I think that our melee-gameplay is going to be really diferent from skyport to skyport. Brokk with +1atk, Barak-Zon with battleline wardens or even Zilfin with battleline Frigattes are going to be something to take in mind when we write a list.

A ranged build, I suppose, will have the same basics as today: Ironclad+thunderers and as much buffs as we can: Khemist with spell in the bottle (free Purple Sun and Rend), an Article to improve Wound rolls, maybe an Admiral to give them +1to Hit for free (or to his flagship) or go Barak-Nar for a lot of CPs and Thunderer Battline.

I think that a mixed styles will be really fun to play. That's when Codewrights and Navigators are going to a be big deal, because they seem to be tech-pieces that can swap styles on each turn. From frigattes charging with 3D6" to counter-shoot with our Ironclad.
I'm curiour about how good are going to be our disruption shenanigans. Stealing CPs is always good, and not sure what "Grappled" means. I still expect a return of our movement debuffs for charges or flying units, like the Galewind Stave and our Navigator trick.

Edited by Beliman

3 hours ago, Rachmani said:

I would hope, that we could play a hybrid (and not totally suck doing so). The Ironclad + Frigate dream, so to speak.

I‘m waiting for that since, well since forever!

I’ve played a only skaven shooting army at a tournament.

it did pretty well, till I’ve had to play against the deepkin player.

I hope Ko does get some kind of combat possibility, because as it is right now, I really have a feeling that they are always going to loose against deepkin, unless that guy makes a mistake.

As much as I love to play the new ghb I really must say I do not love deepkins with that rule it makes them basically unshootable, if he puts his smaller heroes correctly

I‘d have no problem losing to certain armies, if a hybrid build was „good enough“. 
My vision is that of an all flying KO force that doesn’t just shoot but raid and board stuff, too. 
So something like an Ironclad, a Frigate, a Gunhauler and some dudes. I have high hopes for the new and improved Skywardens and would love for Riggers to be small utility units. 
Admiral. 
Another Char or two. 
Thunderers. 
1-2x Arkanauts. 
3 Rigger. 
6 Wardens. 
ironclad. 
frigate. 
gunhauler.

Everything fits into or on a ship, hopefully enough dudes to actually play AoS, and all in all a colourful range of models. 

17 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I hope Ko does get some kind of combat possibility, because as it is right now, I really have a feeling that they are always going to loose against deepkin, unless that guy makes a mistake.

The worst part, at least for me, was that 2.0 KOs couldn't play anything appart from [jump, shoot, repeat].

Sometimes you could see someone doing well with Mhornar or Urbaz with blobs of Arkanauts, Galewind, Gotrek or Gunhauler spam, but the core of this lists had the same type of gameplay: Fly High and purple sun+ ammunition the most important enemies tech-piece and hope for the best.

I've played a few times with Zon but it was meh at best, and then switched to Thryng with Fyreslayers and I really enjoyed a mix of melee and ranged gameplay, even if it was a bit short in shenanigans and maneuvers.

The issue I had with the current book was that it seemed to have been written by someone, who was high on the fluff, but had very little grasp of the actual meta and, probably, only played the game casually at most. As a result it was clunky, convoluted and played in reality nothing like the person, who put it together, intended. It showed lack of full understanding of game mechanics, lack of awareness of matchups and it was all based around a principle of 'I've got this cool idea, but I need to make sure it's not OP, so will have to limit the es out of it'.

As a result we ended up with units that have been written with a certain intention that would not have a role, game wise, anywhere near that intention.

Objective holding Arkanauts? Still listed by anyone who would swing as much as a wet noodle at them. 

Garrisoning units in boats? Well, just deal 7 wounds to the boat and proceed to mop up what's on the table.

Abilities? Oh yeah, but you can't use them from a boat (even though you would be able to in any other type of garrison).

And so on, and on.

That's why those rumours so far seem to be so promising, if true, because they seem to add up to an army that fits the meta and yet retains its flavour. And until we know whether they're true, I am still going to fret that KO will be the one book GW is going to mess up for 3.0.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

If someone is waiting for the leak of the BT, the whole thing is live on the Honest Wargamer twitch (and you can of course watch it back later as a VOD)

Anything that the Code demands to be shared? I'm working until night today, and I can't enter any web that has streams or embed videos... /sadface

23 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

As much as I love to play the new ghb I really must say I do not love deepkins with that rule it makes them basically unshootable, if he puts his smaller heroes correctly

the GHB rule does not combine with their forgotten nigthmare, i.e if the galletian champion is closest you can shoot the next closest unit (since the GHB makes the hero not targetable). Deepkin ofc still strong vs shooting but just wanted to point out as the rules can maybe read a bit like there is no viable target and u can't shoot at all..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Anything that the Code demands to be shared? I'm working until night today, and I can't enter any web that has streams or embed videos... /sadface

Basically, the leak is all true! I will try to put everything together latter, but so far we got good changes.

Gold is gone, now embarking and disembarking are part of our allegiances.

Ok, lots to cover. Will try my best to do so bellow. Spoilers for those that don't want to see it.

Sky ports

Spoiler

Nar: Start of your hero phase roll a dice for each hero on the battlefield (inside a boat counts too). Each 4+ gives a CP.

Zilfin: Can pick a extra Great Edrinwork.

Zon: +1 to hit and wound for Skyfaerers that made a charge in that turn.

Urbaz: Pick 1 additional article (can't pick the same twice).

Mhornar: Each time a enemy with 12" issues a command roll a dice. On a 5+ the command is not recieved (still count as being used in that phase/unit and the cp is lost).

Thryng: Gives a prayer to duardin priest. Prayer targets a unit with range of 16" and has answer value of 3+ to priest. If answered pick a Arkanaut or Thunderer unit wholly within and hits of 6s in their shoots deals mortals equals to the weapon damage until start of your next hero phase.

Command Traits

Spoiler

Grudgebeare: pick 1 enemy hero before the battle starts, double damage this general weapons do to it.

Cunning fleetmaster: End of enemy movement can pick 1 skyvessel more than 12" from all enemies and within 12" of this general. It can make a normal move.

Scholar and an Arkanaut: Can pick 1 additional foot note (can't pick the same one twice).

Old skydog: Can pick 1 additional Great endrinwork.

Ex-Grundstok: Frindly Grundstok units become battleline. In addition, once per turn this general can issue a command to those units without expending a point.

Stormcaller: Can reroll any dice for the navigator read the winds ability while the general is on the battlefield.

Artefacts

Spoiler

Masterwrought armor: Admiral only. Ward of 5+ to the bearer.

Celestium Busrt-granade: Once per battle, start of your shooting pick a enemy unit within 12" and roll. On 2+ that unit cannot make ward rolls this phase.

Blazebeard and Sons "Drak-hobbler" Mag-bolas: Start of your shooting pick a monster within 12" of the bearer on a 2+ the moster is grappled until the end of opponent next turn. While grapped it roll 1 dice less for charges, to a minimum of 1.

Spell in a bottle: Khemist only. Pick a endless spell that don't belong to a faction. Can include in your army without expending points. In addition can automatically cast it once per battle and it cannot be unbound. The bearer cannot control the endless spell.

Phosporite bombs: Endrinmaster only. Once per battle in your shooting phase, pick 1 enemy within 6" of the bearer and roll. 2+ deals a mortal wound. Repeat until you roll a 1 or the unit is destroyed.

Voidstone orb: Navigator only. Once per battle auto unbind a spell.

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Thanks 6

I already asked a question along these lines in the rumour thread, but I think it might be better to take the discussion over here.

So as I understand, the ability to embark/disembark from KO boats is now an allegiance ability, but boats retain it when you ally them into other armies.

If I use a KO boat in a Cities army, does it matter if the boats are allied or coallition?

Who can ride in them? Only KO units? All duardin? Anyone?

33 minutes ago, Rangeltoft said:

oh well. there goes my Barak Thryng army =(

Hopefully Tempest Eye will work out in the new CoS tome.

all in all, the new rules seems fine, maybe it wont be such a NPE for my opponents when i field KO from now on.

Haha, can see why the majority of the Sky-ports voted against helping Grungni if that’s all they were getting out of the deal. Faith isn’t it’s own reward where actual profits are concerned.😂

Really cool to see the leaks were spot-on. Very fun stuff to put a new wind under their wings. Priffa Dreng!

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I already asked a question along these lines in the rumour thread, but I think it might be better to take the discussion over here.

So as I understand, the ability to embark/disembark from KO boats is now an allegiance ability, but boats retain it when you ally them into other armies.

If I use a KO boat in a Cities army, does it matter if the boats are allied or coallition?

Who can ride in them? Only KO units? All duardin? Anyone?

Only units with Skyfarer keyword can go in boats

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Does not matter as it is written to be usable outside KO army. No further requirements are listed

• Thanks 1