AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

With a 2+ Save and 3 Wounds each, they are hard to kill, even in small units. Send them into the thickest fighting and watch a minimum-sized unit, like the three you get in the Dominion box, dish out 10 very solid Attacks (the unit’s Champion throws in an extra Attack just to show the others how it’s done). 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Holy ****** rules that actually synergise with the battle traits and which don’t start with G and end in avriel Sureheart?! 

Usual caveat that we don’t know points or how Scions will work but on the surface of it I like 2 units of 3 here. Small unit sizes will allow them to get into little gaps, taking advantage of Blazing Impact, and making it hard for the opponent to keep them out. Multiple units also means double Blazing Impact, and 4 attempts at a 9” charge (including rerolls) is fairly reliable. Bearing in mind the distances involved, Force of a Falling Star is likely to result in 4-5MW. These guys will be able to get in and murder support characters, units bunkering objectives in the back field, or ranged units (looking at you Sentinels). Great stuff.

18W with a 2+ is quite hard to shift too meaning that the opponent actually has to dedicate some effort to remove them once they are down, which could take the heat off your army.

The only downside is that Blazing Impact is likely to make the Scions charge harder...

Edited by PrimeElectrid
  • Like 3

I really like the minimum size going to 3. My fear is that they will be too expensive (due to the 2+ save and all those abilities) for 9 wounds in a world with so many MWs

EDIT: mayyybe we'll get some MW protection via allegiance abilities / stormhosts ^^

Edited by Marcvs
optimism

18 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I really like the minimum size going to 3. My fear is that they will be too expensive (due to the 2+ save and all those abilities) for 9 wounds in a world with so many MWs

EDIT: mayyybe we'll get some MW protection via allegiance abilities / stormhosts ^^

The fact that you have Annihilators in the enemy line ducking ****** up is itself MW protection, because the opponent is likely to direct all their MW at *them* due to the 2+ save.

4 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

The fact that you have Annihilators in the enemy line ducking ****** up is itself MW protection, because the opponent is likely to direct all their MW at *them* due to the 2+ save.

mmm, just tag them. After scions and charge their damage is ok-ish (but 1" range) and they won't be capturing objectives. Or just send 3 MW their way, 33% of they average gone. But I want to stay optimistic, there's so much yet to see and as I said, I like everything that goes in the direction of a more elite army

• Like 2

I would say it’s not worth taking more than 3 in one unit because of their ability’s. Think of 3 or 4 units coming from the sky and charging in. Even without any buffs and I’m sure there will be some, the do a lot of damage while being very tanky. 

4 units from the sky: 4 d3 mortal wounds

4 units charging in with a charge role of lets say 7(because you have +2 charge from coggs or somewhere) = 14 Mortal wounds

hope they will be not overpriced in points... something like 140/150? I don’t know how much points would fit.

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

I would say it’s not worth taking more than 3 in one unit because of their ability’s. Think of 3 or 4 units coming from the sky and charging in. Even without any buffs and I’m sure there will be some, the do a lot of damage while being very tanky. 

4 units from the sky: 4 d3 mortal wounds

4 units charging in with a charge role of lets say 7(because you have +2 charge from coggs or somewhere) = 14 Mortal wounds

Agreed. It's worth noting that if the Stormkeep sub-allegiance make it into the new edition, that would be the place to take units of 6. Without the drop-down MWs, you'd want a cushion to make sure those large lads got the full benefit from their charge.

48 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

Agreed. It's worth noting that if the Stormkeep sub-allegiance make it into the new edition, that would be the place to take units of 6. Without the drop-down MWs, you'd want a cushion to make sure those large lads got the full benefit from their charge.

Hope there will something that increases the charge, not only gavriel..

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

but then you lose half the warscroll because you miss out on the mortals on the drop.
missing half the warscroll makes the value go down

11 minutes ago, Juicy said:

but then you lose half the warscroll because you miss out on the mortals on the drop.
missing half the warscroll makes the value go down

Oh, absolutely. The loss of MW on the landing will definitely decrease their value. Unless our lightning down rules will now be tied to the new armor.

30 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I wouldn't get too excited about any rules until I get the new battletome

I hear ya, man. I confess that I am getting a bit excited,  but the wiser course would be to step back and reserve judgment until we see the full rules.

1 hour ago, OkayestDM said:

I hear ya, man. I confess that I am getting a bit excited,  but the wiser course would be to step back and reserve judgment until we see the full rules.

It's not even that you may be disappointed, it's that there is no guarantee that any of our current rules will transfer over to the new book. It's not worth getting excited about teleporting around Annihilators with Translocation/Vexillor because those abilities may not exist in 3rd edition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there. After my last stormcast book was stolen in 2019 I decided I wouldn't get back into them until they got a new book. Since it looks like that's right around the corner, I'm checking in. First off; Hi, or SALUTATIONS, if you prefer. I've got a few questions I was wondering if people could help me with.

1: Does anyone have any ideas for making our liberators/vindicators feel like warcraft footmen? I've been wanting to do this since the old world was destroyed (Literally had just started) These new smaller guys seem like a good start on that. Are there any kits, 3dprints, etc. that would work well? The helmets were specifically what I was looking for.

2: Not really pertinent soon, but I was curious about our competitive armies. I'm not looking for their lists, more their ... style. Like the thoughts/ tactics behind them. I guess it could be described as, looking for "What are we considered good at?

3: I've got 2 different color schemes lying around currently. Would it be weird or unacceptable to use both at the same time?

4: Not a question, just a comment on the new chonky boys. (they may get called big chonguses by some in my area) Something I haven't seen anyone mention yet is their ability to re-roll if you re-teleport them. Situational, but cool. Their rules seem pretty clean and mostly unambiguous so far. It will be cool to see what the others will do. (Probably going to be a preview of the krule boys next, followed by us again)

Edited by TheArborealWalrus

3 hours ago, mojojojo101 said:

It's the unmodified charge roll though isn't it? So surely Gav / other modifiers don't actually help. Unless I've missed something of course.

Force of a Falling Star only activates if you succeed the charge, so while Gavs ability would not add to the damage done it would help ensure that you make the charge.

Annihilators have interesting deep strike charge rules but they dont do anything to counteract the typical weaknesses of the all-in alpha strike strategy. Specifically, any competent opponent can completely deny your plan just with good positioning. It is easy to place a disposable screen up front to deny charges on important units, and if you bring shooting to tear down screens then all that needs to be done is keep key units >3" from the frontline so once the screen is killed the reserve units can't declare a charge because there is no enemy unit within 12".

It is also not obvious that Annihilators are a better choice than Evocators or even something like Dracoths for an alpha strike list. 

All that said, Annihilators dont necessarily need to be put into an all-in alpha strike list. If the squad aren't too expensive then they can fit just fine as a utility piece that can present a persistent threat of dropping in at any point in the game. I used to bring a squad of Prosecutors in first edition for exactly that reason.

• Thanks 1

To me, Annihilator value will depend on the points cost (compared to what all the new points costs will be, considering we get the ghb along with the rulebook). If they are cheap enough that the loss of a small unit is acceptable, they will find play at least as a distraction. A unit of three poses enough of a threat to justify some screening for shooty units or support heroes. If you get a credible threat in your opponent's face they will have to screen multiple angles or not spread out to control the board. If the annihilators are too expensive for that they'll be gavbomb 1.1 which is fun for a bit and not per se bad, but not top tier.

19 minutes ago, frostfire said:

When you saw GW have Kragnos with 2+ save at 760pts, you know Annihilators would't possibly be cheap. 

Kragnos is also a God on par with Nagash, Teclis, and Alarielle so it makes sense that he costs as much as he does. I think Annihilators will cost somewhere around 280 because I'm expecting points values to go up like they did for 40k when they transitioned to 9th Ed.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, TheGrayKing said:

I think Annihilators will cost somewhere around 280 because I'm expecting points values to go up like they did for 40k when they transitioned to 9th Ed.

My methodological suggestion when discussing/projecting/guessing points is to pick one of the following options:

1) guess their points as if they were pointed with present point levels

2) guess their points as if they were pointed for the new edition and add your guess for an already existing unit so that we can understand which coefficient are you projecting for the new edition