AoS 2 - Nighthaunt Discussion

RuneBrush

10 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I was comparing the chaos mamouth war and the mourngul.... 320 vs 300

But 22 pv vs 10, same same and soooooo many more attaks for the mamouth. So, is this an error for the mamouth?

the mammoth is a big profile with nothing more

He has 3 abilities. One work when he die, the other when he charge, and the last when he is against monsters.

The mounrgul fly, ignore rend, the malus to hit is a EXTREMELY GOOD ability, he can do mortal wound, regen his hp, and is inside an allegiance that make him able to deepstrike, to double attack when he do a good charge roll, make bravery maluse around him, etc...

lot of nice abilities that will always have effect, whatever the situation is

Edited by ledha

1 hour ago, Nevar said:

That is pretty good shooting... especially for Undead.

Especially since undead doesn't have shooting (used to) :D
What boggles me a bit is the price. That's roughly 50 euro for 2 models and 1 character. That's pricier than say 2 fulminators and those are bigger and basically 4 models due to mount and rider. Not to mention the stats on those guys are better for elite units. So I would say 50 euro is really expensive for those three models. I wonder if that pricing will stick in the EU and I wonder if that is the sort of pricing we should be expecting from the NH line. Cause then I just don't see Lady Olynder being cheaper than the other mortarchs. 
This isn't a strange business model, seeing as Stormcast Eternals are also alot more expensive than many other armies (I dont know the price of all armies, so this is not 100% accurate, but it's by far the priciest army that I have). So I guess new factions (if NH can count as new) will always be priced a little higher since it's new and shiny!

49 minutes ago, PUFNSTUF said:

So with the changed mourngul rules, are people going to run one in their Nighthaunt army?

I dont like Mourngul. The model I mean.. somehow I just dont get a ghostly feeling, so I won't be running one. As Average Boss was saying I will probably run Reapers instead. I love the look of the reapers, so that's basically where I'll be going :) Dont know what the book says yet and how good Chainrasps will be in a horde... I kinda love the chainrasp-look as well, and I am expecting there is a battalion that involves them and makes them a bit better. So they might make it into my army!
I should probably say that I dont build an army to be competitive, I build an army from the way the models look. If I like the model they will be in the army! If I dont like the model they won't be :)

3 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

I think I would just run 20 Grimghast Reapers and 10 Chainraps for the same points instead.

Yeah but that is offence and Mourngul can run defense for your army with his -1 to hit bubble. With it being nerfed to models rather than units however, his value is debatable. I think he's finally in a good place where you can take him if you like but its totally optional.  

Its hard to say what we will or will not take not knowing all the details of what this army does yet.

2 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Chainghasts' having a ranged attack caught me completely by surprise

Yeah, I was surprised by that too.

Oddly, the black knights and Hexwraiths boxes were discontinued on the Australian site last week. Now the Hexwraiths are back on pre-order. Appear to be exactly the same sprues. 

58 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

Yeah but that is offence and Mourngul can run defense for your army with his -1 to hit bubble. With it being nerfed to models rather than units however, his value is debatable. I think he's finally in a good place where you can take him if you like but its totally optional.  

Its hard to say what we will or will not take not knowing all the details of what this army does yet.

The aura is indeed a thing the Mourngul provides on the defensive front.

But I would argue having an extra 20 4+ ethereal wounds for the opponent to chew through is comparable. Not to mention the utility and additional board control three separate 10 man units offer over a single model.

Edited by AverageBoss

19 minutes ago, Neck-Romantic said:

Might have new warscroll cards or something

24 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Yeah, I was surprised by that too.

Oddly, the black knights and Hexwraiths boxes were discontinued on the Australian site last week. Now the Hexwraiths are back on pre-order. Appear to be exactly the same sprues. 

Most likely the instruction booklet warscroll has been redone to match the wording on their new warscroll (Frightful Touch goes off on an unmodified 6, rather than the old 6+).

Meaningful shooting! That's was out I the blue, I think the mourngul with the points reduction and tweaking of the warscroll is worthwhile now. Plus until the battletome drops there's a wealth of stuff we don't know, maybe in a battalion warscroll getting extra buffs? Although I don't recall GW featuring any forge world stuff in their books but we can dream.

I'm going to be starting nighthaunt building up from the new core box and maybe grabbing the malignant start collecting box. Is this an ok group of models to start with and what should I pick up to round out the unit sizes in the core box.

Are there any nighthaunt WhatsApps I could get an invite too, please?