AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

9 hours ago, deumosd said:

Hey,

was just wondering if I could please ask for a bit of advice from some experienced Nurgle players.

i have been building but a StD army and have been painting them up as Nurgle and loved it. So been thinking I might do a full Nurgle army.

my main question is would Archaon do well in a full a Nurgle army?

Was thinking the big guy and some blight kings as a base to start from. I have got the start collecting set and hope to use it all.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

He definitely has potential but I haven't tried it out yet. Nurgle can speed him up significantly and/or give him run and charge, the harbinger of decay can make him more resilient, and a great unclean one could buff his attacks. The tricky part I've always found is archaon is a lot of points and nurgle units are generally pretty expensive too. It's difficult to write a list with him that gives you everything you want. If I were going to try it, my list would be something like Archaon, a harbinger, chaos sorcerer, 2x5 blight kings, 40 marauders, a warshrine, and maybe 10 plaguebearers.

21 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

He definitely has potential but I haven't tried it out yet. Nurgle can speed him up significantly and/or give him run and charge, the harbinger of decay can make him more resilient, and a great unclean one could buff his attacks. The tricky part I've always found is archaon is a lot of points and nurgle units are generally pretty expensive too. It's difficult to write a list with him that gives you everything you want. If I were going to try it, my list would be something like Archaon, a harbinger, chaos sorcerer, 2x5 blight kings, 40 marauders, a warshrine, and maybe 10 plaguebearers.

Thank you so much for your advice- I think I will start building up some Nurgle minis now and see what I can do with them.

Thanks again.

Hey guys I will hopefully be attending a tournament in roughly 2 months and was considering bringing nurgle or kharadron overlords and was wondering if anyone could give me some list advice for the nurgle side. I am thinking about running this list

Blessed sons

Blight cyst

Sorcerer

Harbinger of decay, general, foul conquerer and blotshell plate

Lord of blights

10 man putrid blight kings

4x5 man putrid blight kings

Gutrot spume

Great unclean one, doomsday bell, bileblade, the witherstave

Probably super stock and standard but if anyone has any recommendations or tips for playing it let me know ( normally i playtest with my gf but she refuses to play this list after the first match we played, she runs eel spam )

Hey folks, 

I'm looking to get back into AoS after a long break and reengage with tournaments once the world goes back to normal. 

Does anyone have thoughts on this list? 

Regarding some play: 

The items are to allow the GuO to act as an offensive blocker or to jump over my lines if needed while the Harbinger can maintain a safer distance. There is the option to swap the Witherstave to the GuO and give the Harbinger the Rustfang, which is a brilliant tool but puts the Harbinger at risk. I may try both.

Fecula takes Blades of Putrefaction with the Wurmspat ranking wounds before they become chaff.

The rest of the list is fairly self explanatory. 

My main concerns are a limited long range threat to snipe key pieces, though this seems to be a problem for Nurgle in general without Thricefold. Furthermore, the army lacks offensive punch without blades and may need to play a purely objective game in several matchups.

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Screenshot_20200328-110054_Drive.jpg

Edited by WeeDaveSoutar

It isn't a legal Plaguetouched Warband. You need 1 Slaves to Darkness Nurgle hero and then 7 Mortal Slaves to Darkness units. That list is currently at 1 and 3.

You have also selected the Blessed Sons sub faction. I assume that's a mistake?

The plan with the GUO is a waste of points in my opinion. GUO are extremely underwhelming in combat without support and kitting him out with the bell (support piece) but using him as a solo blocker is contradictory. If you want a singular unit to put out some damage I would highly recommend a Lord on Kakadrak. He is a proper combat monster and has a reasonable stab at carrying a number of artefacts to some effect. 

On 3/29/2020 at 3:36 PM, Gdead909 said:

Hey guys thinking of starting Nurgle what do you all suggest when it comes to must haves. Also which centerpiece models are must haves?

Must Haves: Feculant Gnarlmaw at least x1

Start Collecting Daemons of Nurgle at least x1

You will always get a use out of those two boxes no matter what direction you take. The Gnarlmaw has uses no matter what and the Daemons box is a great launchpoint for a daemon centred army or provides you with a summoning tool box for a mortal/Rotbringer based force. 

After that I'd really consider pursuing a daemon/rotbringer/mortal build.

There's certain must buy units for each of those army types that don't play well if they are mismatched. For example a Harbinger of Decay is a must have in a mortal/Rotbringer list but has zero use in a daemon list. 

Do you currently have a preference? 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Kalebkhaine said:

Hey all, I don't know if this has been discussed before, but what changes would you guys make to the three maggoth lords to make them "playable"

Im afraid that only a huge point reduction Will work yo 180 points, 200 for bloab

4 hours ago, Kalebkhaine said:

Hey all, I don't know if this has been discussed before, but what changes would you guys make to the three maggoth lords to make them "playable"

IMO, the abilities of the guys on top are fine but the maggoth itself is too lackluster. The claw attacks should deal d3 damage and all three characters should heal d3 per turn automatically. Neither their point cost nor their base size is particularly large so they do not need massive buffs to make an appropriate impact in combat (they all should definitely be surrounded by other friendly troops anyways). And we do not want to buff them so much that they need a point increase because Nurgle is already point-crunched when it comes to big stuff anyways. 

And give them each a battalion for good measure. (I want Nurgle's Deluge back dammit!)

Finally make Morbidex unlock Nurgling battleline if he is the general. It wouldn't be good, but it would be thematic and very entertaining.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Kalebkhaine said:

Personally I'd like to see each one buffed up to match their price rather than just a cost reduction. Bloab would be an excellent choice for a two spell caster and a +1 to cast/dispel/unbind, which we sorely need.  Morbidex would be great to passively add contagion points to the army, maybe d6 per turn or something, and orghotts... Well he seems ripe for some damage buffs. Increase the axe damage and the mortal wounds he causes. Maybe change the command ability to hits instead of wounds since that's more important in the army. Then buff all of the maggoths with +1 to hit and damage and I think you'd be in business. 

• Like 1

Having played Maggoth lords just recently in a game against new Seraphon. I would say either battalion for taking all 3 or 1 for each.

My main gripe was they were just a bit underwhelming in offence and defense and I would of preferred pretty much any model instead of them.

Luckily they are amazing models so fingers crossed they get some fun synergy or battalion to see them brought back to the table. 

• Like 1

Quick question, I'de like to play a list with daemons only. The only way I see something great is to play the Thricefold with 2x30 + 1x10 plaguebearers and Umbrall + another endless. Do you know if I can play a decent and competitive list with Nurgle's daemons only ? :) 

Please fin attached the potential list

2KNurgleDaemons.pdf

Edited by hurben

5 minutes ago, hurben said:

Quick question, I'de like to play a list with daemons only. The only way I see something great is to play the Thricefold with 2x30 + 1x10 plaguebearers and Umbrall + another endless. Do you know if I can play a decent and competitive list with Nurgle's daemons only ? :) 

2KNurgleDaemons.pdf 5.73 MB · 0 downloads

Well, that´s kind of the classic list. There is also the possibility to run

Thricefold Befoulment

30; 10; 10 Plaguebearers

Spellportal

and use that remaining 290 points for something different, ie a unit of Plague Drones (200) or some Plague Monks (a block of 30 will cost you 240 points) or something different.

Although it seems to be the most competetive Nurgle Daemon build it is far from being a tournament winning list. Therefore you can run whatever you like and try to get the best results out of it.

I´m not sure that Spellportal is still a good idea because there are many lists out there that gain bonuses on dispeling or auto dispel your Spellportal.

1 minute ago, Hannibal said:

I´m not sure that Spellportal is still a good idea because there are many lists out there that gain bonuses on dispeling or auto dispel your Spellportal.

True. But may I really have the choice ? Nurgle suffers of a lack of spell bonuses.

2 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

and use that remaining 290 points for something different, ie a unit of Plague Drones (200) or some Plague Monks (a block of 30 will cost you 240 points) or something different.

That's a good idea. No more monks or marauders or Verminlord etc... haha
I want to play fluff Nurgle daemons and try to be competitive anyway.  Btw, to my mind, the drones are not really interesting but for the mobility it's a good point. Any way to try a unit of beasts ? 🤔

26 minutes ago, hurben said:

2KNurgleDaemons.pdf 5.73 MB · 3 downloads

Thricefold can be great but falls really bad against decent magic defence (IMHO). Our Nurgle player has recently dropped Magotkin and switched to Legion of Chaos Ascendant. He plays it pure Nurgle with the exception of Be’Lakor (for legion of the first prince bonuses). Better sustain, better summoning and better synergy/bonuses for daemons - especially if going pure daemons.

19 minutes ago, NJohansson said:

Thricefold can be great but falls really bad against decent magic defence (IMHO). Our Nurgle player has recently dropped Magotkin and switched to Legion of Chaos Ascendant. He plays it pure Nurgle with the exception of Be’Lakor (for legion of the first prince bonuses). Better sustain, better summoning and better synergy/bonuses for daemons - especially if going pure daemons.

do you provide a list or something? Would love to hear more ;) 

Hi guys. Quick question. Been out of the Nurgle loop for a few months. Can named characters eg. Rotigus,  benefit from the sub faction abilities such as Munificent Wanderers from wrath of the Everchosen? I thought that since they do not have faction keywords themselves they could. Thanks.

12 hours ago, hurben said:

do you provide a list or something? Would love to hear more ;) 

Big disclaimer - not my army (although I have played against it half a dozen times at least):

He plays with Rotigus, one GUO and Be’Lakor as the main characters and then 3 units of 10 plaguebeares as core (almost the same as your initial list - which was very close to what he used to play in Magotkin). Then he adds Drones or bigger units of plaguebearers depending on preference (trying out different combos) and what is left is spent on Endless spells or a support hero.

The main thought behind the list is to utilise the durability of Nurgle. The Legion gives the whole army an additional 6+ ward save and lets you summon a unit of plaguebearers (10+ on 3 dice) which should give you a new unit 3-4 times per game (on average closer to 3). Then Be’Lakor can return d3 models To all plaguebearer units on a 3+ (Including drones which actually makes them playable) and Be’Lakor also has a very powerful ability and access to STD endless spells as well as becoming a decent tank/fighter in the legion. 
The main drawback (from my perspective) is a that the drops are high - but in our meta people usually are playing 1-3 or armies that do not care so the usual Thrice list is still outdeplyed when it matters (different metas will affect this naturally). 

The list is not S-tier in any way (hard to get a real punch with Nurgle Daemons), but I have played against both it and the regular Maggot daemon army quite a lot (my main opponent) and I find that the Legion list gives me more of a challenge (played against with both StD and DoT). 

• Like 1

I think dependant on pilot you can do well with Thrice Befoulment as shown from a tournament result just prior to lockdown (attached) and by the dude in here who plays in the states and posts decent results.

I also think Chaos Ascendant is a good choice for Daemon centric lists as mentioned above. 

Even an 'S Tier' list requires a decent pilot to win anything. I've seen Changehost players finish 1-4 in Feb this year over 2 days because in the end they got beat by better players, playing 'worse lists'.

Screenshot_20200406-132437_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20200406-132443_Twitter.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Percivael said:

Hi guys. Quick question. Been out of the Nurgle loop for a few months. Can named characters eg. Rotigus,  benefit from the sub faction abilities such as Munificent Wanderers from wrath of the Everchosen? I thought that since they do not have faction keywords themselves they could. Thanks.

Ofc. The only thing they can't get is the general's trait and artefact cuz, you know, named characters. But the abilities are for all the units who fit the requirements (such as being a daemon in a list that you've made one of the daemon sub-allegiances).

• Thanks 2