AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Bjornas said:

Another modelling question: Anyone have the diameter of the top floor of the Altar? ie. where the Slaughterpriest is supposed to stand. 3-3,5" pretty much correct?

It's about 2" to 2,5" depending from which points you measure.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure what I am missing on this one, so if anyone can tell me, I'd appreciate it.

• A model is always within range/effect diameter of itself.
  • Locus gives rerolls 1's to hit if within 16" of a greater demon.
  • Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage can reroll 1's if it charged that turn due to it's rage rule.

Isn't that just a wasted rule since the BT  is always within 16" of himself?

4 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I'm not sure what I am missing on this one, so if anyone can tell me, I'd appreciate it.

• A model is always within range/effect diameter of itself.
  • Locus gives rerolls 1's to hit if within 16" of a greater demon.
  • Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage can reroll 1's if it charged that turn due to it's rage rule.

Isn't that just a wasted rule since the BT  is always within 16" of himself?

You don’t get the locus if you ally him in

6 minutes ago, Luke1705 said:

You don’t get the locus if you ally him in

So, if you bring in Rage Boy on his own as an ally, he at least has a little boost for himself.  Got it.

Seems like a very, very small perk, but it's something. I'm gonna assume they did not charge more than about 2 points on his cost for that rule. ;)

So I might be late to the party but maybe you guys can tell me if I am crazy.

i think Wrathmongers almost always trump bloodsecrators.  Both are 140 points now. Both provide an extra attack. The bloodsecrators have the advantage of double the range and but the mongers are a unit of 5 big bases with an inch between them that could make up for the shorter range.  Mongers bring 15 wounds to the Bs 5 wounds.  Mongers get more attacks and hit back.

bloodsecrators have advantages with totem for bloodreavers and the ability to take special banners. But most don’t run enough reavers to make a difference. Thoughts?

Hello fellow madmen I've come up with a list that I hope can hold its own and C&C is most welcome! I am looking for a strong and dirty list, as quite a few folks at my shop have been revving the cheese engine, so I hope this goes toe to toe with them lol

Reapers of Vengeance

Herald of Khorne on Blood Throne (General)
Mage Eater
Skullshard Mantle

Slaugherpriest 
Bronzed Flesh

Bloodsecrator

Skulltaker

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster

Battleline:
Bloodletters x30

Flesh Hounds x5

Flesh Hounds x5

Other:
Skull Cannon

Skullcannon x3

Wrathmongers x5

It began as a Gorthunder Cohort but decided the points for the battalion may not be worth it but wanted to keep the Blood Throne because A) The model if f-ing METAL and b) I think it might make a great platform for the Reaper's CA and Mage Eater on him keeps all my dispells out of just a single basket. Plus with the Mantle he's virtually never be spell-sniped. The only thing is I wish I could squeeze in another Slaugherpriest and perhaps Wrath Axe or Hexgorger Skulls in there but unsure what to remove.

Edited by Reezark_SP

@KhorgusCool I've thought about that too. You can always increase the bloodsecrators range with gore pilgrims, but then again you can take 2 x units of mongers for the same cost and then look at battalions that use multiple units of wrathmongers. Bloodsecrator is a hero and there are scenarios where you will want an extra hero over a unit, even more relevant now that he can move onto objectives. Dont underestimate Loathsome Sorcery as well as it can go a long way to shutting down an opponent's magic phase when combined with other abilities. Perhaps the fact that neither unit's attack buff can stack with duplicates means there remains a case for running one of each. If it was just about the extra attack then the Aspiring Deathrbringer for 80 points would win hands down so you always have to look at the bigger picture and what your list is trying to achieve.

I think as agentofchaos says, loathsome sorcery is worth its weight in gold. The bloodsecrator is still very survivable with good wounds, save and look out sir and option for artefact.

After rewriting my tournament list in 40pts down, thinking of actually using a judgement. Not sure on skulls or icon, I think the skulls are good but would probably get more use out of the icon - it's basically free mortal wounds.

• Like 1

I have a very noobish question: Does "Grind their Bones, Seize their Skulls" from the Skull Cannon only apply to its Ganshing Maw attack or also to the Hellblades of the mounted Bloodletters? I just cannot find a mount rule that really clarifies this...or perhaps I just do not understand it correctly. :D

Thanks in Advance!

14 minutes ago, Craze said:

I have a very noobish question: Does "Grind their Bones, Seize their Skulls" from the Skull Cannon only apply to its Ganshing Maw attack or also to the Hellblades of the mounted Bloodletters? I just cannot find a mount rule that really clarifies this...or perhaps I just do not understand it correctly. :D

Thanks in Advance!

Any attack, both hellblades and gnashing maws.

• Thanks 1

I am not sure if the Gorethunder Cohort is worth it for the wizard tower setup either.

My current idea:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Bloodlords

Leaders
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)
- General
- Trait: Slaughterer's Thirst 
- Artefact: Halo of Blood 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Resanguination
Bloodsecrator (140)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (300)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
1 x Skull Cannons (140)
1 x Skull Cannons (140)
1 x Skull Cannons (140)

Endless Spells
Bleeding Icon (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 133

Adding the battalion would mean -1 priest, - Wrath-Axe, - Bloodreavers. It would add another artifact, another daemon hero and a CP (the latter seeming not as valuable as in other setups).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Easytyger said:

Any attack, both hellblades and gnashing maws.

The wording is actually even more vague. The way it reads, it sounds like if you shoot an enemy unit with Burning Skulls, kill a model and then get into Close Combat, but don't kill a model, you still get to shoot again. 

I know it is most likely refering to the melee attacks, but it says "after this unit attacks for the first time in the each combat phase, if enemy models were slain this unit's attacks  this unit can attack with all of the missile weapons it is armed with."

I'm looking for cheese, but the way it reads it does not exclude models killed with missile weapons.

Thoughts?? 

15 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

That feels more like purposely misunderstanding the rules to me tbh.  

Because it is. Grind their Bones, Seize their Skulls specifically states attacks made in the combat phase. By core rules, you can only attack with melee weapons in the combat phase.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AresX8 said:

Because it is. Grind their Bones, Seize their Skulls specifically states attacks made in the combat phase. By core rules, you can only attack with melee weapons in the combat phase.

If I'm bringing Skullcannons to a competitive tournament I just wanted to be sure. The rule actually doesn't specifically state attacks made in the combat phase. The ability occurs after this unit attacks in the combat phase and then it says "attacks." It does not say "attacks made my melee weapons."

I haven't play the unit this way, I was just curious, like I said, if you were at a tournament where winning is all that mattered, could you make this arguement. 

Edited by Warbossironteef

8 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

If I'm bringing Skullcannons to a competitive tournament I just wanted to be sure. The rule actually doesn't specifically state attacks made in the combat phase. The ability occurs after this unit attacks in the combat phase and then it says "attacks." It does not say "attacks made my melee weapons."

I haven't play the unit this way, I was just curious, like I said, if you were at a tournament where winning is all that mattered, could you make this arguement. 

Grind their Bones, Seize their Skulls DOES specifically state attacks made in the combat phase.

image.png.7b9cb61f6f85e06007e1ea0063cd1b0f.png
"After this unit attacks for the first time in each combat phase, if any enemy models were slain by this unit’s attacks, this unit can attack with all of the missile weapons it is armed with."

Emphasis mine.

From warscroll that can be found here.

The core rules state that only melee weapons can be used to attack with in the combat phase, therefore, "attacks" in Grind their Bones, Seize their Skulls means melee attacks. 

image.png.08a52c3d459c426f34e44132d1a95390.png

This excerpt is from pg 6 of the core rules PDF that can be found here.

Edited by AresX8

20 hours ago, THUNDERHAMMER said:

What are everyone feelings about doing a mixed demon mortal list besides the bespoke Thirster?  Ive been running Karanak a lot alongside my mortals  with some bloodcrushers to pretty great effect 

I think doggos are the best battleline in the mortal army, or in any Khorne army really. Move 8", 20 attacks for 100pt, unbind, free charge reroll. In comparison warriors need two separate buffs (secrators+stoker) to catch up to base (!) doggo efficiency, and a CP ability from host to catch up in speed. Crushers need a 160pt lord point sink and reavers are just chaff.

Both priests and secrators work on everything so you don't need to split support. Bloodstoker is cool, but he provides better results than killing frenzy priest only for warriors/reavers, so if you don't take them you don't need to care.

Cannons and WoK thirsters are decent shooting that mortals otherwise don't have.

Building low drop demon+mortal might get a bit tricky, but demon battalions are flexible enough to have big demon inclusions as 1 drop.

Mortals have no-battleline battalions in skulltake and brass stampede, and slaughterborn/bloodforged have low battleline commitment.

Examples would be:

Murderhost of herald+3x cannons for 660pt. Ready to include 1 drop module of shooting.

Murderhost of herald+3x dogs for 540pt. All your battleline as 1 drop, about same damage as 3x200pt of warriors.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AresX8 said:

Grind their Bones, Seize their Skulls DOES specifically state attacks made in the combat phase.

image.png.7b9cb61f6f85e06007e1ea0063cd1b0f.png
"After this unit attacks for the first time in each combat phase, if any enemy models were slain by this unit’s attacks, this unit can attack with all of the missile weapons it is armed with."

Emphasis mine.

From warscroll that can be found here.

The core rules state that only melee weapons can be used to attack with in the combat phase, therefore, "attacks" in Grind their Bones, Seize their Skulls means melee attacks. 

image.png.08a52c3d459c426f34e44132d1a95390.png

This excerpt is from pg 6 of the core rules PDF that can be found here.

Listen I agree with you haha. But that's not how the rule is written. "After this unit attacks for the first time in each combat phase" only explains when the ability goes off and then it just says attacks. Not melee attacks or attacks just made, etc. The exact wording doens't exclude attacks that killed models in the shooting phase.

But it's a moot point because I agree with you and I agree it's how the rule should be interpreted.

• Like 2